The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

LondonRaider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

My Raiders tale

Post by LondonRaider »

Hello fellow Raiders,

Just signed up to the forum and wanted to share my story with you all.

My names Jake, born and raised in London, but spent the last three years away, travelling, working and enjoying life. Being English, football has always been my game but after spending a year in New Zealand watching the Rugby World Cup in 2011, also the same year the Warriors made the NRL grand final, I had just started to take a slight interest into Rugby.

Upon my arrival to Sydney I was lucky enough to work and live with a mad Raiders supporter who tried to recruit me. I watched a few games at the back end of the season, first game was against the Warriors in NZ when Raiders came back from 24-0 down to win convincingly in the second 40, a few games later we lost to the bunnies in the finals but I knew that I was becoming hooked.

My two years spent in Sydney, I followed the Western Sydney Wanderers and watched a lot of games, but I was also watching NRL every weekend and the more I watched the Raiders, the more involved I got. I was learning about the game but also supporting a team who were so unpredictable it reminded me of my English Premier League side - West Ham United.

Back in the UK since August 2014, this season I have watched every Raiders game so far which is not easy as the kick off times here are early morning, tomorrows game against the titans will be a 6 am start for me so need to set my alarm clock for it. Saying that, I've enjoyed most games this season so far (despite the Roosters one!) and am delighted to see the improvement in the side. I'm hoping in years to come, I will get to see some success with Ricky at the helm!

But the whole reason I wanted to post this was to see if I could find some learnings about the club and it's history. I was wondering if anybody could direct me to any good articles/video's/websites which would give me a brief overview of the good old days when I was growing up in England and didn't know the Raiders even existed!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers and go the green machine! :thumbsup

Jake
Guy Incognito
Jason Croker

Re: My Raiders Tale

Post by Guy Incognito »

:welcome:

Check out the Viking Vault section of this site. There is a lot of club history and videos in there.

http://thegreenhouseact.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=24
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Welcome London raider. Don't forget to check out the raiders website either, and I'd encourage you to gain a membership.

From the raiders website you can buy DVDS of our premierships and some classic games.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

:welcome: Once Raiders make the finals I'll be hitting up a pub showing it (since the occasion will mean I can justify heading to the pub at 8am) and would be happy to have a fellow fan over there. I'm originally from Aus but living in Hammersmith atm.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Maybe someone could send a copy of 30yrs in the limelight
Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

TL;DR
LondonRaider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LondonRaider »

Thanks everyone, will have a browse!

@Archer - do you know of any pubs showing NRL matches in London? If Raiders make the finals would definitely be up for meeting. If we make the grand final, I'll be going back to Australia for it though for sure!
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

Welcome, youtube is full of great videos. Check out the Ricky Stuart and Daley highlight reels and you'll see some classic tries.
Pigman wrote:TL;DR
bwahaha coming from the person with the longest post replies.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

If anyone does have any tips on where to catch games in london please share! Moving up from Sydney in a few weeks and in all seriousness not sure I can go through with it given how well we're going!
Aero
Laurie Daley

Re: My Raiders tale

Post by Aero »

For anyone wanting to watch the Raiders games over seas, you can try http://livestream.com/nrl

They do stream games live, as well as stream archived/previous games (so if the live game is in the ungodly hours of the morning where you are, you can just watch it later on).

They do have geo-blocking on that site, so YMMV depending on where you're trying to watch from, but I've heard there's ways around that if you have the know-how (I'm sure a quick google can help)
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Since most of our games are on at 7am or earlier over here I normally watch on livestream as Aero has mentioned, it is Geo blocked for the UK though. I'm not sure where plays regular NRL games over here, but I watched the last world cup at a pretty good sports bar, I'll try and remember the name. Also, if we make a Grand Final whilst I'm still over here I too will be flying back.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Cheers for the tips guys... Would be good to find a pub that plays them though 7am beers don't sound that great these days! Hah

And archer I haven't told the missus but I have a parachute fund for the GF if that happens haha
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

My Raiders tale

Post by Raider Bell »

Archer wrote:Since most of our games are on at 7am or earlier over here I normally watch on livestream as Aero has mentioned, it is Geo blocked for the UK though. I'm not sure where plays regular NRL games over here, but I watched the last world cup at a pretty good sports bar, I'll try and remember the name. Also, if we make a Grand Final whilst I'm still over here I too will be flying back.
You know, I've never properly thanked you, Archer. And I feel down right dastardly about that. You deserve better. So here goes -

Thankyou for removing one (might be more, not sure of your family situation) Queenslander from the state of Queensland, and Australia. The entire country is richer for it.

Wow, that feels good to have said that. I feel much better.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"