Can someone start an argument please?

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Can someone start an argument please?

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sid wrote:is rock climbing a sport?
I'm going to go with yes. There's a lot of skill, strength and flexibility involved. The shoes can make a difference, but a good climber would out climb me in Ugg boots.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Isn't it more a hobby, is there competitive rock climbing?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:
I'm going to go with yes. There's a lot of skill, strength and flexibility involved. The shoes can make a difference, but a good climber would out climb me in Ugg boots.
See I disagree, I think it's a pastime. There's a lot of skill involved in Brain Surgery, but it's not a sport.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

We'll see 3 formats of climbing at the next Olympics, so I guess it is a sport...

Is Parkour a sport then?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What is it?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sid wrote:We'll see 3 formats of climbing at the next Olympics, so I guess it is a sport...

Is Parkour a sport then?
Yeah, but Chess was in the Olympics. Doesn't make it a sport.

Parkour, no. Same reason as Rock Climbing

For GE - This is Parkour

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
See I disagree, I think it's a pastime. There's a lot of skill involved in Brain Surgery, but it's not a sport.
There's skill, but no reliance on other physical attributes in Brain Surgery or Chess - strength, speed, agility or endurance. Rock climbing does. It's absolutely competitive, particularly in Europe.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
There's skill, but no reliance on other physical attributes in Brain Surgery or Chess - strength, speed, agility or endurance. Rock climbing does. It's absolutely competitive, particularly in Europe.
Good points, what about Wood chopping? I just remembered a story where David Foster was laying claim to being Australia's greatest ever athlete because he's won more World Titles than any other Aussie.

** Edit ** Found it - https://www.triplem.com.au/stuff/pub-ta ... ion=sydney
21 Consecutive years he's held the World Wood chopping Champion title and has won 186 world title events

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think wood chopping is a sport. Equipment is the same for everyone, strength and power the key thing to winning. And it is competition.

Wood sawing is sport too.

But I don't think chain-sawing is sport, as it is principally the chain saw doing the job.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Goodness me, what world are we living in?

You can't just say if something is competitive and equipment is minimal, that it's a sport

Is brandings a sport? Everyone uses the same balding/wet tennis ball and stands on the same wall, and it's competitive!

I mean honestly. Wood chopping!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pigman wrote:Goodness me, what world are we living in?

You can't just say if something is competitive and equipment is minimal, that it's a sport

Is brandings a sport? Everyone uses the same balding/wet tennis ball and stands on the same wall, and it's competitive!

I mean honestly. Wood chopping!
There's no formal Brandings competition, no national bodies for brandings. There bloody well should be. Some of the most couragous feats in human history have been performed during a Brandings game.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Spot on Doc
So many heroes unrecognised
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Look I guess it comes down to whether Dr.Zaius with a butter knife is a better brain surgeon than me with scalpels and bone saws Image
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

gangrenous wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Look I guess it comes down to whether Dr.Zaius with a butter knife is a better brain surgeon than me with scalpels and bone saws Image
Depends which of you is responsible for each poster on here. Some have definitely had better work done than others. I for one am certain I've had the butter knife treatment.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

At least we can all agree that competitive gaming is a sport, or e-sport if you must. Same equipment, no judges, can't do it at my local, physical skills like hand eye coordination and reflexes, professional bodies and governance. ;)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Can someone start an argument please?

Post by gangrenous »

Archer! Shame on you! You're a bone saw poster if ever I saw one!

Hmm... not a phrase I thought I'd type when I woke this morning...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Archer wrote:At least we can all agree that competitive gaming is a sport, or e-sport if you must. Same equipment, no judges, can't do it at my local, physical skills like hand eye coordination and reflexes, professional bodies and governance. ;)
Fails the athleticism test.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Thanks man, means a lot! Maybe its just this season then, sure feel like a spoon and paddle pop stick kinda guy. Maybe i should talk to Reptar and see if Frank has the time to fix me up.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

greeneyed wrote:
Archer wrote:At least we can all agree that competitive gaming is a sport, or e-sport if you must. Same equipment, no judges, can't do it at my local, physical skills like hand eye coordination and reflexes, professional bodies and governance. ;)
How?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against each other for entertainment

Gaming requires physical exertion, driving a car requires physical exertion.. so GEs wrong

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Archer wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
How?
Correct, GE. The lack of physical exertion makes it not a sport. It's a competition.
Again, Brain Surgery requires the same attributes, but it's not a sport.

Nickman's love of NSW
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Archer wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
How?
Correct, GE. The lack of physical exertion makes it not a sport. It's a competition.
Source?
I'm not abreast on any recent studies on it myself so anything i post will just be google page 1 and 2's, but the things I've read suggest that things like motorsports and gaming actually take quite a toll.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I know v8 and f1 drivers are some of the fittest athletes in the world

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Archer wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Archer wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
How?
Source?
I'm not abreast on any recent studies on it myself so anything i post will just be google page 1 and 2's, but the things I've read suggest that things like motorsports and gaming actually take quite a toll.
That's made up rubbish from people who like the pastimes of gaming and motor racing.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Fit by what measure?
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

greeneyed wrote: That's made up rubbish from people who like the pastimes of gaming and motor racing.
Just asking for source GE, shouldn't be too hard to provide.

Otherwise one could say the argument there isn't any exertion in gaming and motorsports is made up rubbish from old men on a clear day with no clouds left to yell at, who've aren't all that familiar with either of the activities they are talking down on and don't like change.....I wouldn't mind you, cause I've got no idea as to anyone's age, what kind of weather you have nor how familiar people are with gaming or motorsports or how much people embrace change.
Last edited by Archer on July 4, 2017, 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Eep, really messed that one up, the too many embedded quotes error startled me into a panic
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

EJ wrote:Fit by what measure?
Cardio and strength

Drivers have elevated HR for extended durations

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Archer wrote:Eep, really messed that one up, the too many embedded quotes error startled me into a panic
Man, I call you a bone saw guy and you freak out and use the wrong weather/whether! Image
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

gangrenous wrote:
Archer wrote:Eep, really messed that one up, the too many embedded quotes error startled me into a panic
Man, I call you a bone saw guy and you freak out and use the wrong weather/whether! Image
Oh jesus.

This shame will never wash away.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Archer wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
How?
Brain surgery is not competitive. Unless you are Charlie Teo.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Sid wrote:We'll see 3 formats of climbing at the next Olympics, so I guess it is a sport...

Is Parkour a sport then?
Yeah, but Chess was in the Olympics. Doesn't make it a sport.

Parkour, no. Same reason as Rock Climbing

For GE - This is Parkour

:lol: Great stuff.

GE - go to Youtube and do a search for Parkour fails. You'll spend hours (maybe minutes) laughing at some of the **** people think is a good idea to leap off/over/into.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Archer wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Archer wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
How?
Source?
I spend hours on the PS4 at home, no toll, apart from the social life. If I can just jump into it with 0 training and be good at it, not a sport. Either that or I'm some kind of gaming Demi-God.

Motorsport - Yeah it's physically demanding, but I can name a dozen activities that are physically demanding and not sports. Some might get edited by Admin. There is too much reliance on the car than the driver for it to be a sport. Most forms, like F1 and FE, even mention that they're a "Technology Showcase". Who has the best designers etc. That's why I'm F1 the teams have more of an emphasis on the Constructors Title

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You'd get your **** whooped by pro gamers though Fui
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

The Philly 76rs actually support/back an E-Sport team. They make sure they are following strict diets and also their sport psychologists to make sure they stay focused due to constant travel and long hours.