Can someone start an argument please?

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Re: Can someone start an argument please?

Post by Archer »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Archer wrote:My mistake, I'm not sure what lead me to believe the olympics viewed them as sports. Perhaps it was the giant menu heading "Sports", the sub heading "Summer Sports" that i found them under, or perhaps it was the some use of the term "sport" sneakily hidden somewhere in the description on those pages.

OLYMPIC HISTORY

Equestrian sports featured on the Olympic programme of the Paris Games in 1900, with jumping events, and were then withdrawn until the 1912 Games in Stockholm. Since then, this sport has been on the Olympic programme with remarkable regularity."
Oh now that's my bad. If the Olympics view them as sports, that's game set and match.
Let's add Chess, Bridge, Dancesport, Tug of War and Orienteering as sports

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summ ... gnized.htm

But then if we open it up to events that were once in the Olympics, then I could have entered myself in the literature event back in 1948 and called myself an Olympian

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cult ... t-6878965/
You're welcome to, though I'm not sure why you moved the goal posts to "anything the Olympics awarded medals for is a sport", weren't you explaining to me previously that not everything they did that for was a sport? I mean I'm happy to broaden the definition of a sport so you won't see me complaining. However I was just responding to you when you told me dressage and shooting in particular weren't in the Olympics as sports, but because they were attributes that make the perfect warrior, it seems like their website suggests they do consider them sports.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Oh now that's my bad. If the Olympics view them as sports, that's game set and match.
Let's add Chess, Bridge, Dancesport, Tug of War and Orienteering as sports

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summ ... gnized.htm.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Elite orienteering is crazy. They are super impressive athletes.

Ninja Warrior is a great sport.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I wonder if afffaygkmn could represent at the Olympics

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:I wonder if afffaygkmn could represent at the Olympics

There's no spiral pass while running at speed competition
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
dubby wrote:I wonder if afffaygkmn could represent at the Olympics

There's no spiral pass while running at speed competition
Of course not, because one man would absolutely dominate