The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Surstromming

Post by manbearpig »

Hi all. Has anyone tried surstromming?
Looked up a few things on it after seeing Andrew Zimmern eat it on bizarre foods.
Its fermented fish in a vaccume sealed can. I wanna give it a go but haven't found anywhere online I can buy from. Worst food ever apparently. Get in me surstromming!
Im just, bicking back being bool
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Surstromming

Post by reptar »

I was gonna say, is that Icelandic or something? They eat some pretty horrible things there.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Surstromming

Post by Toviii »

Swedish according to Wikipedia. Couldn't resist looking it up.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

Toviii wrote:Swedish according to Wikipedia. Couldn't resist looking it up.
You're right! I actually thought i put it in my OP.
It's a Swedish delicacy. Some funny Youtube video's around on it.
I wanna get some and have an eating challenge.
Where the **** can i buy it!
Im just, bicking back being bool
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Stockholm
Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Why would you want to eat the worst food ever?
I imagine a cow patty tastes pretty bad and they're easy to find, why don't you give that a crack instead?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

http://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/woocomme ... post,page/ available there at £9.25 but u may have to get someone to buy and on forward as they don't ship outside mainland Europe
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

If you seriously want to taste the worst food ever go to a genuine vietnamese restaurant and order the Sea Cucumber, a vile slug that is generally served in a bowl of what looks like dirty tepid dishwater.

I ate the chicken's feet but this stuff was too much.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Couldn't taste worse than the Psilocybe cubensis mushroom (otherwise known as gold top)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I am familiar, it does.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Ouch, **** would anyone choose to eat it unless it has interesting side effects
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Fermented fish? Pffft. Pack of light weights.

When you get serious, try out the Korean food Hongeo.

They take a stingray and cut off all the meat. They then bury the cartilage at the high tide mark for three months, until it is utterly rotten. They then cut it into strips like sashimi, and serve it raw.

The stench of ammonia is so strong that holding it in front of you (at arms length) is enough to bring tears to your eyes. Putting it into your mouth, your sinuses and tear ducts explode to the point that tears and snot pour down your face. Imagine drinking a glass of bleach, and you'll be close.

But here's the thing. You can't just swallow it. It's chewy to the point you need to leave it in your mouth for a few minutes, working away at it. Each bite releases another wave of pain.

It's apparently a delicacy....though I've never seen even it's most enthusiastic supporters eat two in a sitting.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

you are all sick *****
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

There's also Hakari the Icelandic delicacy which is basically a rotten shark that has been buried in gravel for 3 months.