Moving abroad

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Moving abroad

Post by yeh raiders »

theRads wrote:But don't you need to translate in order for the students to understand?
I've discussed this with my girlfriend and brother. I'm adamant I'd be hopeless at teaching English, if I didn't know the host country's language. I don't see how it'd be any other way. Every language teacher I had at school, had a decent grasp of English or were fluent. Even my year 5 Japanese teacher spoke decent English.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

theRads wrote:
Johnny Ringo wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
theRads wrote:
T_R wrote:Many schools will hire a native English speaker to focus on communicative language teaching. There are very few absolute beginners of English out there these days, and most people will have enough language to follow basic instruction in the classroom.

If you do a CELTA or Cert. TESOL they will teach you how to go into a classroom with little or no English and achieve learning outcomes. I've never taught so much as a day of English, but in a fit of professional enthusiasm I did the CELTA course about 15 years ago. In the first lesson, the teacher came in and, without speaking a word of English, taught us basic Arabic. It was quite cleverly done, and a good model for how to teach non-English speakers.
Thanks for the explanation!

I did some research on the differences between an CELTA and a TESOL cert. and it seems that the CELTA is the preferred option. Now I'll just need to pay the $3K fee to get one!

Ok next step is to decide which country to go to. Right now the list is:

1. Vienna, Austria
2. Frankfurt, Germany
3. Berlin, Germany
4. Luxembourg
5. Helsinki, Finland
6. Amsterdam/Rotterdam, Netherlands
7. Malta
8. Somewhere in the UK

I need some help to cull the list!
Push Berlin and Amsterdam up the list. Luxembourg, strike it. Helsinki too.
Berlin would be number 1 from that list. Nearly moved there a couple of years back, I absolutely love it as a city.
I've heard nothing but good things about Berlin. What did you like about it the most?
I find it very hard to pinpoint what I like about it as a city...I've had this conversation with a few people.

It just has a great feel about it, after the Berlin war coming down I think it had to find itself as a place and as a result the culture or scene is different from other German cities.

There are great and weird clubs I once stumbled across a rave in an empty swimming pool with a dj and strobe lights and every single person was dancing with hoola hoops another club had all the furniture on the ceiling so the ground was just an empty warehouse.

Berlin also has a real grunge underground art scene that is pretty cool and the graffiti is cool to check out.

It is a great sporting city although there football team is not the greatest there ice hockey fans get right behind the town.

Obviously there is a lot of history in the city as well....I visited the place 4 times and never did the same thing twice.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

yeh raiders wrote:
theRads wrote:But don't you need to translate in order for the students to understand?
I've discussed this with my girlfriend and brother. I'm adamant I'd be hopeless at teaching English, if I didn't know the host country's language. I don't see how it'd be any other way. Every language teacher I had at school, had a decent grasp of English or were fluent. Even my year 5 Japanese teacher spoke decent English.
Ah, but we can teach you how to do it.

I'm about to open a school in Japan where adult students will come twice per week. On the first session, they will have the subject introduced, explained and drilled by a Japanese-speaking English teacher. On the second session, they will apply it through communicative classes taught by a native English speaker. There is absolutely no need for the native English speaker to be able to communicate in Japanese.

On the where to live discussion, I don't get the need to head straight to a major capital. Rents are higher, jobs are often harder to find and life is expensive. I'd scoot to a regional centre (and this is Europe - the regional centres are more often than not pretty substantial places). You can go check out the cities in an hour or two on a weekend, then live in a far more pleasant, lower cost environment the rest of the time.

I'd certainly be open to regional Germany, but I'd be more tempted to cross the border and live in the Czech Republic. Dirt cheap, great job opportunities in teaching and tourism, awesome food and the best beer outside Belgium. You can be in Germany, Austria or Switzerland in an hour or two - but you'll hardly ever do it, because the Czech Republic is so awesome.

Alternatively, I'd look hard at Italy and France. Better food, great lifestyle and relatively cheap places to live. The work situation may be a bit tough in Italy, though.

God, I wish this was me. Sounds amazing.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
theRads
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campo

Post by theRads »

I'll happily rename the thread to T_R's journey abroad if you wish!

Good advice on avoiding the major cities. I think my relatives did the same thing when they moved to CHF and then slowly made their way closer to Zurich once they were established.

I was always fascinated by the Czech Republic it seems like a cool country. It wouldn't be a bad option to live there, take advantage of the exchange rate and work in Germany or Austria.

Looks like I'll be researching some regional areas!
theRads
theRads
Brett Mullins

Post by theRads »

Johnny Ringo wrote: I find it very hard to pinpoint what I like about it as a city...I've had this conversation with a few people.

It just has a great feel about it, after the Berlin war coming down I think it had to find itself as a place and as a result the culture or scene is different from other German cities.

There are great and weird clubs I once stumbled across a rave in an empty swimming pool with a dj and strobe lights and every single person was dancing with hoola hoops another club had all the furniture on the ceiling so the ground was just an empty warehouse.

Berlin also has a real grunge underground art scene that is pretty cool and the graffiti is cool to check out.

It is a great sporting city although there football team is not the greatest there ice hockey fans get right behind the town.

Obviously there is a lot of history in the city as well....I visited the place 4 times and never did the same thing twice.
My mate tells me the exact same thing! Can't quite pinpoint it but it's the whole buzz of the city that just makes it unique.

The more and more I think about it, the more Berlin is sounding like the preferred destination. And yes, the appeal of attending a hoola hoop party helps!
theRads
theRads
Brett Mullins

Post by theRads »

Btw guys I'm still doing this.

I leave in just under a month :thumbsup
theRads
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Raider 85 wrote:T_R would probably know the least on this subject, so should he provide any input, just brush it
Good to know the R85 of yesteryear is just as piggish as 2015.

Don't ever change!!
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

theRads wrote:Btw guys I'm still doing this.

I leave in just under a month :thumbsup
Where did you decide to set up?
theRads
Brett Mullins

Post by theRads »

So I've decided to set-up in England but I have a few plans:

Plan A - Work casual jobs whilst looking for a full-time gig in either my industry or something in the EPL.

Plan B - Work casual jobs until November and then go to Austria and work a snow season there, then back to England for full-time work.

Plan C - Freak out, find Campo in Hull and sleep on his couch.
theRads
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Can it be out to a poll? I vote C.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Moving abroad

Post by bonehead »

D - get a job EDIT and stay with Monas
Edrick The Entertainer
theRads
Brett Mullins

Moving abroad

Post by theRads »

I don't mind option C
theRads
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Moving abroad

Post by Seiffert82 »

EDIT.

If you end up getting a job with the EPL you'll probably find your way to him eventually.

Have a great time Rads. Sounds like it's starting to come together.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Before we were married my OH went to Austria and worked in a ski resort area. Great money surprisingly, heaps of time for skiing, good social life. She stayed there for nearly 6 months before moving on to France and then Ireland for the bulk of the rest of her 12 months stay.
Stay away from Luxembourg, Helsinki, don't miss Berlin, Barcelona and Amsterdam.
London and Paris are great, but vacuum your wallet like you wouldn't believe.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

London might be nice to holiday, but If you can avoid living here, I would.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Archer wrote:London might be nice to holiday, but If you can avoid living here, I would.
I can't disagree more. London is an absolutely sensational city to live in!
theRads
Brett Mullins

Post by theRads »

Yeah I'm going to try and stay away from central London - I've heard it's more expensive than Sydney.

I was thinking something like Southampton or Reading. Or maybe a different city like Birmingham or Manchester
theRads
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

If you are working in London and live in a share house it is more then affordable. I lived there for 5 years and averaged a trip away every 6 weeks.
theRads
Brett Mullins

Post by theRads »

Where were you living? And by a trip away I'm assuming you traveled in EU
theRads
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Lived in Brixton, which is still zone 2 so only 5 stops to central London on the tube. ( you will never live in zone 1. Zone 3 is a little bit cheaper rent wise).

Yeah all throughout the EU. I could normally get away for a week or two and then 4-5 over summer. Throw in a weekend trip every couple of weeks. I'm a teacher hence the holidays but obviously not on huge money.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Each to their own I guess. I don't like London because of little things in everyday interactions like riding the tube or grocery shopping, but it's probably just part and parcel of a big city (I lived in Brisbane prior to this so hardly 'big'). I love trips to Europe though and yeah, don't even bother looking in zone 1. If your fine with little space then zone 2-3 can be ok, you just have to be prepared to slug through all the **** places you get shown first. If you are by yourself, definitely go for a share house, you just won't get much value otherwise. Living in Hammersmith ATM and I quite like the area. Turning up early and grabbing a beer before any viewings is a good plan if you want to get to know the area, I find the pubs a pretty good indicator.
theRads
Brett Mullins

Post by theRads »

Wow, I didn't even realise there were zones! Thanks for the headsup

I like the pub test. For the first few weeks I figured I'd stay in a few hostels in the different areas and get a feel for different suburbs.
theRads
theRads
Brett Mullins

Post by theRads »

Hey Johnny Ringo, strange question but why did you leave?
theRads
theRads
Brett Mullins

Post by theRads »

Lads, I'm in London. next order of business is to search for Campo in Hull when the new season starts
theRads