Best and worst suburbs in Canberra

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

dreaming09
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sami Sauiluma

Post by dreaming09 »

I'm thinking about retiring to Canberra to live, I don't mind the cold and going to the snow.
I've lived on the far north coast all my life, and it's a great area to live, but I feel like a change.
I'm been down a few times to watch the games and stayed at the Tradies Dickson and Woden
and Abode at Tuggers.
Not looking at the posh suburbs, maybe closer to the city and what you would call a safe and friendly neighbourhood.
Lol, not Fyshwich either when I say friendly.
Can any of the locals, or people who have lived there give me feedback please?
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Best and worst suburbs in Canberra

Post by greeneyed »

Inner South is the place to be. Don't think about North of the lake!
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

As a Belconnen boy, I recommend anything south of the lake also.. It offers more and is cleaner, younger and newer (most parts). Belco West is a brothel these days.. Unless you go Gunghalin (Belco north) which is new, but I'd recommend shooting yourself before doing that.
Last edited by Captain Punish on February 12, 2014, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Yep I agree with GE/Lucy.

The Woden Valley area is nice, generally not too pricey, and is fairly close to some of the major attractions in Canberra (the city, Manuka/Kingston, Fyshwick, GIO Stadium).
Last edited by Toviii on February 12, 2014, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I live on the new side of Bruce.. It's pretty nice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Very inner north is good if you find a completely renovated place and like old style 1930s and up houses. Or there are more and more new apartments.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What are you after, apartment style living or a house?
dreaming09
Brett Mullins

Post by dreaming09 »

Thanks for the info guys, I was looking at Woden and Belconnen.
Ideally I like apartment style living, but not with a lot of apartments that I'm seeing in the
real estate sites. So at this stage I will look at houses with very small yards or duplex units.
It's a long term goal, buy it, rent it for l to 2 years to help pay it off quicker and then move down.
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
dreaming09
Brett Mullins

Post by dreaming09 »

Lucy wrote:As a Belconnen boy, I recommend anything south of the lake also.. It offers more and is cleaner, younger and newer (most parts). Belco West is a brothel these days.. Unless you go Gunghalin (Belco north) which is new, but I'd recommend shooting yourself before doing that.
Hey Lucy, is Westfield shopping centre in north, south, east or west Belconnen. some of the apartments across the road looked new and there was water nearby.
Lol in saying that we were lost, and looking for the carpark of Westfield.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I recommend asking bigcheese for his crime report on which suburbs are the most dangerous and which ones are safe to put the bins out without wielding a machete.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Westfield is Belconnen Town Centre. Inner north and inner South are good for smaller apartment complexes.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

If thinking apartments have a look at Kingston and a little more upmarket New Acton
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If apartment living is the dream, wont get better in Canberra than Kingston.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

dreaming09 wrote:
Lucy wrote:As a Belconnen boy, I recommend anything south of the lake also.. It offers more and is cleaner, younger and newer (most parts). Belco West is a brothel these days.. Unless you go Gunghalin (Belco north) which is new, but I'd recommend shooting yourself before doing that.
Hey Lucy, is Westfield shopping centre in north, south, east or west Belconnen. some of the apartments across the road looked new and there was water nearby.
Lol in saying that we were lost, and looking for the carpark of Westfield.
As GE said, Westfields is the town centre. You'll find a few place ls there worth investing. I was more advising against the old suburbs I grew up in of anything south west or north west of Florey.

That central area of Belco is definitely the better part, but as I said, for good Canberra, the life South of the lake area is the area to be.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I remember friends of mine lived in Kambah in the 90s. It wasn't a real nice place.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Get a professional mate.

Now is not the time to be investing in the Canberra real estate market. Houses will be worth less or the same in two years than they are now.

If you are looking for trends you can punch any postcode in here

http://www.sqmresearch.com.au/free-statistics.php

If you must invest look at apartments and townhouses anywhere on the light rail corridor from the city to Gungahlin with a particular emphasis on Braddon or new Acton.

The apartment towers going up around Westfield Belconnen are also interesting. The new development of Molonglo looks really interesting (I might invest there myself). Kingston and Manuka are nice but a bit passe and have probably peaked in price.

Canberra's best new houses are in Nicholls in Gungahlin (most of the Raiders live there or Bruce in inner Belconnen).

If you want to be objective and look at any particular metric you choose (schools, sporting facilities, university's, golf courses, restaurants, night life, swimming pools there is more of it and better on the north side).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kingston and Manuka are influenced by the number of new apartments going in on the lake foreshore, but given proximity to the lake/lake and park views, Parliamentary Triangle and Civic, prices will keep going higher long term.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

greeneyed wrote:Kingston and Manuka are influenced by the number of new apartments going in on the lake foreshore, but given proximity to the lake/lake and park views, Parliamentary Triangle and Civic, prices will keep going higher long term.
Yeh that's probably right the foreshore ones are massively priced at the moment. I can't believe they are selling them.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pigman wrote:If apartment living is the dream, wont get better in Canberra than Kingston.
And if you need retirement village living at its finest, Nicko can point you in the right direction.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I thought nick lived in Charnwood? Last time I believe billyt...
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

I've lived in West Mcgregor and loved it.

Also lived in Dickson and Downer, but the only good thing with those is the location.

Ideally want to move into Bruce or Crace
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Tim W wrote:I thought nick lived in Charnwood? Last time I believe billyt...
:lol: No, as the real Pigman alluded too, i live in the retirement village-esque townhouses in Garran up near the hospital.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

not the infamous "Swinger hill" ?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There's no "-esque" about it either, just quietly.
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

Mawson gets my pick for south at the moment, and a lot of development at the moment with some nice options, depending on the kind of house you are after. Best of the not so posh options.

Is there a rough budget??
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I occasionally walk the dog past those places in Garran whenever I'm visiting home. They seem nicer than your average retirement village...
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
dreaming09
Brett Mullins

Post by dreaming09 »

Gus- wrote:Mawson gets my pick for south at the moment, and a lot of development at the moment with some nice options, depending on the kind of house you are after. Best of the not so posh options.

Is there a rough budget??
I was looking at around $400,000, but it seams that's about the entry level for single bedroom apartment in the nicer suburbs.
There seems like a lot of apartments for sale, and more development going on.
Some of the one bedroom apartments seem over priced, considering they are quite large complexes and privacy is none existent if you open you curtains.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah, unfortunately 400k doesn't get you much near the city these days.

Given your description, I would narrow your options down to:

Braddon
Ainslie
Campbell
Reid
Acton
O'Connor
Turner
Lyneham
Dickson
Bruce
Kaleen

Tough choice but I'd probably go Bruce. Lots of new apartments and units available at your price range, pretty quiet and safe, close to Belconnen and the City, close to the footy.

If you want to be closer to restaurants, cafes and the like then Braddon and Dickson.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Where are you currently living? It seems odd to retire to Canberra from the North Coast, most people go the other way. Why are you doing it? It may be more of a change than you expect. I have lived most my life in Canberra and would love to live on the North Coast but work mainly keeps me here. Don't get me wrong I love this city but the North Coast certainly has a lot going for it too.

400k won't stretch you too far in Canberra. One bedroom places are expensive here because there isn't a great deal of them. There are a lot of older crappier 1 bedders and some new exy ones, but not a lot of middle ground. So they are a pretty decent investment option in Canberra - that is why they seem expensive. As for location you can't go too far wrong in Woden area. Nice and central, less bogans than outer Belconnen and Tuggeranong.

EDIT: Weston is also a great location as far as proximity to the much talked about bike track where all the NRL players hang out.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

lol @ Gerg.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shadow Boxer wrote:not the infamous "Swinger hill" ?
No in Garran.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Shadow Boxer wrote:not the infamous "Swinger hill" ?
I recommend that you get into a bidding war for a rental in Swinger Hill.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Apartments in Belconnen are really cheap. 1 bedrooms are well under $400K these days. You can probably get yourself a 2 bedroom for around that money if you negotiate hard.

Bruce also has some cheap apartments at around the same price with the added bonus of being able to walk to and from Raiders games.

If you have a bigger budget I would look at something in the inner North. Turner and O'Connor are nice, spacious, green suburbs. Close to the city, Northbourne and the expressway.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

I'd stay on the Far North Coast Dreaming. God's country. Whereabouts are you?

I'm planning on retiring to Bangalow or Lennox or somewhere like that.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Shezza wrote:I'd stay on the Far North Coast Dreaming. God's country. Whereabouts are you?

I'm planning on retiring to Bangalow or Lennox or somewhere like that.
I get Lennox, I really do. But Bangalow? Really?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.