Best and worst suburbs in Canberra

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Re: Best and worst suburbs in Canberra

Post by Shezza »

I've got family there. It's a pretty cool little community - not far from the beach. I wouldn't live in the town itself but somewhere nearby.

Somewhere like Possum Creek would be amazing to bring up a family and have a little fruit orchard and try to finally relax a little. It's this silly little ideal I have, but it helps to have something like that to aim towards.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Best and worst suburbs in Canberra

Post by Captain Punish »

I plan on retiring down Lake Conjola. I like Lennox also to be honest.. But I'm a Sth Coast junkie as they are less tainted and commercial..

This is for when I'm old and decrepit though..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The wife speaks often about her desire to retire in Brazil. Apparently you can make a "donation" of about 50k to a local business and they "sponsor" you to retire... sounds alright, i have to say... but more than likely that'll get scuttled in time, i cant see my wife being able to be that far away from her kids and grand kids...

If i had to place a bet right now, i would suspect we'll retire somewhere along the beach in sydney
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I have an agreement with my wife; when I turn 50, we wave our youngest off to uni, sell up the business, buy a house in the Japanese Alps, a place in France, a beach house in Thailand and an apartment in a tower somewhere as close to wherever the kids end up as we can find and spend the rest of our life commuting between the four according to the seasons.

Nick, I reckon Brazil is the last place I'd retire to - bloody expensive, too aggressive and you're as likely to end up with bullet wounds there as anywhere I've been.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

And I'll be stuck in bloody Nambour.

Thanks TR, made my day. :(
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote:And I'll be stuck in bloody Nambour.

Thanks TR, made my day. :(
Nambour was next on our list.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Mate, I dream of retiring somewhere out bush. Quite, peaceful living where I can ride trail bikes, walk naked and eat wild honey and grasshoppers.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

dubby wrote:Mate, I dream of retiring somewhere out bush. Quite, peaceful living where I can ride trail bikes, walk naked and eat wild honey and grasshoppers.
I do all that in sunny Canberra.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Shadow Boxer wrote:
dubby wrote:Mate, I dream of retiring somewhere out bush. Quite, peaceful living where I can ride trail bikes, walk naked and eat wild honey and grasshoppers.
He does, I've watched him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:I have an agreement with my wife; when I turn 50, we wave our youngest off to uni, sell up the business, buy a house in the Japanese Alps, a place in France, a beach house in Thailand and an apartment in a tower somewhere as close to wherever the kids end up as we can find and spend the rest of our life commuting between the four according to the seasons.
That sounds pretty exceptional.
South of france is the other place the wife and i have casually spoken about as a retirment destination.
T_R wrote: Nick, I reckon Brazil is the last place I'd retire to - bloody expensive, too aggressive and you're as likely to end up with bullet wounds there as anywhere I've been.
Yeah, i can see why those would all be a problem :lol:
I dont think its as dangerous as that and it's getting better in that regard as they start tryign to tackle the favela issue... but i do get your point. The culture is very appealing though.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I would say Nicko is actually MORE LIKELY to end up with bullet wounds in Brazil than any other person on the planet too.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:
He does, I've watched him.
You do that in Rocky. I've watched you.

Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

The Nickman wrote:I would say Nicko is actually MORE LIKELY to end up with bullet wounds in Brazil than any other person on the planet too.
I think you fail to remember the one particular gentleman..

Bigcheese.

Nicko - distant second.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bigcheese wouldn't end up with bullet wounds!! He'd dodge the bullets and shiv the gunman with a sharpened water bottle before the guy could blink!
tubs
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Milford

Post by tubs »

Red Hill - nice houses , nice suburb in general no issues ever in my street.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

billyt wrote:Red Hill - nice houses , nice suburb in general no issues ever in my street.
Problem is the **** neighbours he'd have to deal with
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fair go, mate.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

billyt wrote:Red Hill - nice houses , nice suburb in general no issues ever in my street.
Do you just troll EVERY thread??
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Except for when you are riding your pushy home from school and the neighbour backs out of his driveway without looking, yeah?

I hated that too when I was your age.
tubs
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Milford

Post by tubs »

The Nickman wrote:
Are you lost?

The response was clearly on topic junior.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:
Fair go, mate.

It was all true!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, except for the grasshoppers.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

billyt wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Are you lost?

The response was clearly on topic junior.
Do you even know what troll means, sport??
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

Something to do with a bird Muse **** once?
Well, at least Jack got paid.
dreaming09
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sami Sauiluma

Post by dreaming09 »

Shezza wrote:I'd stay on the Far North Coast Dreaming. God's country. Whereabouts are you?

I'm planning on retiring to Bangalow or Lennox or somewhere like that.
I'm in Lismore, when I was in the late teens and got my P plates, I used to love going to the beach.
Lennox Head, park the car, go to the beach for a swim, sunbake and then over to Lake Ainsworth to wash
off the sand and salty water and home.
I dislike the whole beach thing these days.

Good choices for places to retire, both in the slow lane and laid back.
I don't mind having a wander around Byron some great places to eat.
But the roads into Byron and the parking is ridiculous.
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

dreaming09 wrote:
Shezza wrote:I'd stay on the Far North Coast Dreaming. God's country. Whereabouts are you?

I'm in Lismore, when I was in the late teens and got my P plates, I used to love going to the beach.
Lennox Head, park the car, go to the beach for a swim, sunbake and then over to Lake Ainsworth to wash

You could be **** related!!!
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

dreaming09 wrote:

I went to Lismore High back in the day. Mum still lives on the outskirts of Lismore.

Not the biggest fan of Byron these days - not really my scene. I like to get away from the people a bit. Yamba would be a great spot but it is too far from anything.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
dreaming09
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sami Sauiluma

Post by dreaming09 »

Shezza wrote:
dreaming09 wrote:

I went to Lismore High back in the day. Mum still lives on the outskirts of Lismore.

Not the biggest fan of Byron these days - not really my scene. I like to get away from the people a bit. Yamba would be a great spot but it is too far from anything.
Hey Shezza what do you call the outskirts?
''It's probably the greatest collection of brain explosions ever been created in a game of first-grade football,'' McIntyre said.