Off topic

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Raiders player signing speculation

Post by Begbie »

Come on GE, nicks never wrong, and never will be.
craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Post by craigo »

Hate to break it to you fellas but nick is right. Not many high profile players want to live in Canberra that's a well known fact especially at the young age most of them are at now.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Begbie wrote:Come on GE, nicks never wrong, and never will be.
I had an argument with Nick once and lost, he knows everything.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Craigo! You disappoint me son.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

greeneyed wrote:I see Nick didn't like it being pointed out he was wrong. ;)
:lol: :lol:
Ohh GE, the fact you think you are even in the realm of being right here speaks volumes.
I keep promising myself that i wont get sucked into this dumb argument... goodness, what a gigantic waste of time you blokes are, if you are unwilling to concede even the most obvious of points, then i really do feel sorry for you. Blinkers big time.

But yeah, fine, you guys are all right and me and the rest of the world are wrong. Good on you, looking forward to Ricky Stuart bringing SBW, Cam Smith and J. Thurston to Canberra. ;)

#NoExcuses
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

If Scott Logan and the early 00's Brumbies have taught us anything, its that you can play for Canberra and still live in Sydney.

I bet Willie Mason isnt the only player that thinks our club is a shambles and that is a key reason people don't want to come.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Players like Shif, Shillo, Harrison, Edwards,Ferguson, Earl came here for an opportunity. Correct?

So did a lot of our NYC boys.

We have excellent youth development, clearly they dont come for the beaches and niteclubs.

What say you, Nick?

I
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote:Players like Shif, Shillo, Harrison, Edwards,Ferguson, Earl came here for an opportunity. Correct?
I
And what tier of player would you have ranked them all before they came here?

We're usually a last resort option for players on the outer. Not a good starting point for strong recruiting.

No one is saying you can't buy some players that will turn out okay or even good buys. But usually the players Raiders are getting are gambles on players having a bad run of form, or injury, or they are tools. Not to mention that for each one that does turn out well, there's one (or more) that doesn't.

Recruiting superstars with current form you can depend on hasn't and isn't going to happen except for blue moons.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Shif nd shillo were origin and harrisin played for nz and was a wc winner.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Almost all our youth development comes from QLD and country links. Almost all of them are through our feeder systems for a long time before Canberra bring them into their 20's squad. Almost all of them come here at an age where its **** ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO GO TO A PUB OR NIGHTCLUB (why are you even making this argument?!!! :lol: )

Schifcofske was a drug cheat who was unwanted after a few uninspiring years at Parramatta
Harrison was unwanted by the tigers, from memory there was interests elsewhere and this was a genuinely good signing at the time.

Shillington had a falling out with his coach (stuart btw) and was un-affectionately labelled 'the pillow' by his home town fans due to genuinely soft play, we over paid him big time and struck it lucky when his talent eventually matured, he was a talented nobody when we signed him.

Earl was playing PL, came over a mid season transfer and didnt have an interest outside of us.

Edwards knocked back a big offer from the knights, play poorly and never got given an offer anything near their original offer, he accepted the other offer on the table, which was more lucrative deal.

Fergo walked out on one club, in a manner which left a sour taste in many mouths. He came with an arrogant and troublesome reputation which proved to be completely and utterly correct, much to our chagrin. Fergo was chasing a premiership, thought he was walking into easy success and shot through the moment it didnt happen, in large parts because he wanted to be in sydney his uncy Antony.

I mean, are you trying to prove my point? You've come up with a list of 6 players in some 10 years!! All of which came with significant baggage and very little to no interest, not a single one of them would have been considered an NRL star (Ferguson was the closest) and most of them (Ferguson being the exception) didnt have much interest at all outside of us.

Again, are you trying to prove my point? You are probably best leaving this to the other boys dubby, you aren't very good at this. I mean this sincerely, you are **** awful at this Dubby, and unlike the others, you dont have the backbone to keep punching drunk :lol:

FWIW - no one ever said we cant recruit anyone... there will always be guys like Schif, Harrison and Shillington, who we can target for various reasons and convince them to come to Canberra. It has happened last year with Edwards, it happened again with Baptiste, next year with a war chest we should be able to sign a player of some acclaim...

No one has ever said this club can never convince a single player to come here. What has been said is our potential pool is exceptionally smaller than everyone elses pool and it pretty much excludes the genuinely elite players. This club will pretty much never recruit a current SOO footballer in the peak of his career. We will recruit cast offs that are looking for a chance to prove they can be productive (Harrison and Schif), the odd young bloke chasing success (Fergo and well no one else), we continue to sign them now, our scouting and development system will continue to be the envy of most of the league and once people are here keeping them is much easier, so that's a positive... but that is a far cry from attracting the established NRL star everyone is so convinced we could get if not for guys with a surname of Furner.

There are players we can target, it's just a significantly smaller pool than pretty much every other club. As for why there is no signings this year despite the cap number... id suggest the changing of the guard has had a lot to do with that, Stuart didnt have a chance to get his feet wet and recruit, before a lot our realistic targets were dealt with, and club has never been the type to sign guys for the sake of it.

I fully expect Stuart will sign some players, probably some reasonably good ones, we'll pay more than we should for them, that's a given, they wouldnt come here for equal money they'd get at other clubs, but if you're expecting rep quality footballers to sudden start flocking to canberra, you are both mistaken and an idiot... probably one who refuses to concede that Canberra is not a desirable destination for 18-30 year old males with a large disposable income.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

dubby wrote:Shif nd shillo were origin and harrisin played for nz and was a wc winner.
Schif and Shillo were struggling to retain their FG spots when they signed for us... are you friggin smoking crack dubby?!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Christ almighty

They developed into rep players AT this club, Schif wasnt sniffing rep footy at Parramatta and 'the Pillow' was being boo'd off the park at the SFS on a weekly basis

You are just THE WORST :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You've all lost the plot. The Raiders have been unattractive as a destination while poorly coached under the likes of Elliott and Furner. When well coached... players were lining up to come. They were not all stars, but they were when coached by the likes of Sheens.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Don't argue with Nick
he is a self righteous ****
he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience
everytime

70k posts and 99% bagging fellow fans out

im sure he is a closet broncos supporter

i just took a guess at the 70k... Seems like it never shuts up is why i guessed high
Last edited by Neeeegz on December 28, 2013, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

country raider wrote:Don't argue with Nick
he is a self righteous ****
:lol:
Oh dear.

You dont have to spend much time figuring out why that one slipped through the GH filter.

Edit: haha, the GH mods trying to save him the embarrassment. Good move gents.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

It's like some Japanese soldier hiding out on a pacific island still defending the empire 20 years after the country surrendered.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

They might have more luck if players could commute and not have to live there, it's a bit damning when medical staff at the second largest hospital wont live there imagine cashed up testosterone filled young footballers.

"Canberra does seem to have trouble convincing professionals to move there, despite high pay and world-class services.

At the emergency department of the city's second largest public hospital, Calvary, an estimated 70-75% of the doctors don't live in the city or its surrounds, including the department head who regularly commutes four hours by plane from his family home in Perth."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21715754
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote:You've all lost the plot. The Raiders have been unattractive as a destination while poorly coached under the likes of Elliott and Furner. When well coached... players were lining up to come. They were not all stars, but they were when coached by the likes of Sheens.
At the risk of inflaming an already inflammatory situation, I respectfully disagree. Let's have a look at some of the blokes who came here when we were "well coached", under, say, Tim Sheens and then Mal.

Mal - big name signing (thanks Wayne)
Gary Belcher - big in Queensland
Sam Backo- who?
Steve and Kevin Walters - who?
Laurie Daley - relatively local junior
Ricky Stuart - always likely to join the Raiders rather than a Sydney club
Gary Coyne - who?
Phil Carey - washed up
Brent Todd - may have been a NZ international, I can't remember, but they were the 80s version of France (I exaggerate...)
Quentin Pongia and John Lomax - who?
Noa Nadruku - ****?
Ben Kennedy - who knew how he'd go?
Steve Lidbury - ditto
Phil Blake - oh yeah, top of his game
Scott Gale - what a shame.

I can see one genuine star player who joined Canberra at the top of their game. One. Without him we probably wouldn't exist now. That's an entirely different argument to once-were-nuffies who became stars in a great system with a great coach, but even with all that in place we still weren't buying in big names. Obviously we didn't really need to either, but the point stands.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Lui, the cowboys could draw a similar list. Ditto Newcastle, storm have signed who exactly?? Penrith? Tigers? Saints?

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

You mean they sign contracts, adjust their lives and work here because their prospects and pay are better ?

It's a good thing they are not nrl players, they would never do that.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Shadow Boxer wrote:You mean they sign contracts, adjust their lives and work here because their prospects and pay are better ?

That's my point but then Nick erupts in a cavalcade of ramblings I didn't bother reading all the way thru.

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Haha, I was referring more to the vmo's but it applies equally to lui's list.

Every one of those players could have got a game in sydney if it was important to them.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

dubby wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:You mean they sign contracts, adjust their lives and work here because their prospects and pay are better ?

That's my point but then Nick erupts in a cavalcade of ramblings I didn't bother reading all the way thru.
come on now dubby, dont get catty because your argument got complete decimated and you lack the backbone or balls to actually counter it. Best to stick with what your good at - x2'ing TR's posts
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:They might have more luck if players could commute and not have to live there, it's a bit damning when medical staff at the second largest hospital wont live there imagine cashed up testosterone filled young footballers.

"Canberra does seem to have trouble convincing professionals to move there, despite high pay and world-class services.

At the emergency department of the city's second largest public hospital, Calvary, an estimated 70-75% of the doctors don't live in the city or its surrounds, including the department head who regularly commutes four hours by plane from his family home in Perth."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21715754
At the risk of being inflammatory, Calvary needs to look inwards as to why they can't hold on to FACEMs. The ED there has been a shambles for over a decade and that has nothing to do with the city it is located in.

As a result they need to essentially run the department off locums who by default are from elsewhere.
Last edited by Dr Zaius on December 28, 2013, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Lui_Bon wrote:
greeneyed wrote:You've all lost the plot. The Raiders have been unattractive as a destination while poorly coached under the likes of Elliott and Furner. When well coached... players were lining up to come. They were not all stars, but they were when coached by the likes of Sheens.
At the risk of inflaming an already inflammatory situation, I respectfully disagree. Let's have a look at some of the blokes who came here when we were "well coached", under, say, Tim Sheens and then Mal.

Sam Backo- who?
Gary Coyne - who?
Phil Carey - washed up
Brent Todd - may have been a NZ international, I can't remember, but they were the 80s version of France (I exaggerate...)
Noa Nadruku - ****?
Steve Lidbury - ditto

I can see one genuine star player who joined Canberra at the top of their game. One. Without him we probably wouldn't exist now. That's an entirely different argument to once-were-nuffies who became stars in a great system with a great coach, but even with all that in place we still weren't buying in big names. Obviously we didn't really need to either, but the point stands.
Brilliant post Bonny boy. I would say Meninga is the only "bona fide" star that we have ever nabbed. Phil Blake was on the decline when we got him.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

havent you guys heard?
shillo and schif were SOO players when we signed them :D
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

John Ferguson was a grandfinal winger when he joined us
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

I'll give you Shif, nick, but wasn't shillo off the bench for the roosters when we bought him?
craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Post by craigo »

Lui_Bon wrote:

Sam Backo- who?
Gary Coyne - who?
Phil Carey - washed up
Noa Nadruku - ****?
Steve Lidbury - ditto

different era. More money more no rarity these days it's like comparing apples to oranges.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Raidersrawesome wrote:John Ferguson was a grandfinal winger when he joined us
For a team that no longer existed.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Begbie wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:John Ferguson was a grandfinal winger when he joined us
For a team that no longer existed.
Also a SOO player before he joined us
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Begbie wrote:I'll give you Shif, nick, but wasn't shillo off the bench for the roosters when we bought him?
i was taking the piss. That was dubby's laughable claim/
Neither were sniffing rep jerseys. In fact both were struggling to retain FG spots :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some of you blokes are too young to remember, but the Raiders were constantly being linked to players in the press, with player managers trying to hawk them to Canberra, in the 1990's. The players wanted to come here.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

He was one of our greats. He was, however, looking for a club at the time: I guess we won the lottery!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

greeneyed wrote:Some of you blokes are too young to remember, but the Raiders were constantly being linked to players in the press, with player managers trying to hawk them to Canberra, in the 1990's. The players wanted to come here.

players being linked to a successful club to drive up the market at their preferred destination?
what an astounding revelation!!
It must be true too because as we all know, managers never create false information in order to drive the market up for their client, player managers are a very honest crew, they'd never intentional dish out disinformation in an attempt to secure more money for their client.

:lol:
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote:Some of you blokes are too young to remember, but the Raiders were constantly being linked to players in the press, with player managers trying to hawk them to Canberra, in the 1990's. The players wanted to come here.
We're still regularly linked to players in the press, linked and signing are totally different things though.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.