Off topic

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Off topic

Post by gerg »

Seems like the whole country is burning.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: December 31, 2019, 8:51 pm Buildings burning at Bateman's Bay and Broulee...

Reports of buildings lost at Tomakin and Surf Beach...

I've spent a few holidays at Broulee... it's a lovely place... it is all just awful.
My family has had a holiday house in Broulee for 4 generations, I spent all my holidays there as a kid. The FNM app shows it is currently 2 blocks from the front.

We have been busy here this afternoon with the Charmhaven fire about 2km from home and dropping crap on our house - the southerly that cam through about 6.30 turned it away from us, but it was pretty surreal having the planes dropping retardant in the area.

Just stay safe everyone.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Photos from my cousins farm in BembokaImage

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coastalraider wrote: December 31, 2019, 9:04 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 31, 2019, 8:51 pm Buildings burning at Bateman's Bay and Broulee...

I've spent a few holidays at Broulee... it's a lovely place... it is all just awful.
My family has had a holiday house in Broulee for 4 generations, I spent all my holidays there as a kid. The FNM app shows it is currently 2 blocks from the front.

We have been busy here this afternoon with the Charmhaven fire about 2km from home and dropping crap on our house - the southerly that cam through about 6.30 turned it away from us, but it was pretty surreal having the planes dropping retardant in the area.

Just stay safe everyone.
Looks like dozens of houses are gone at Surf Beach, according to the RFS map.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Buildings burning at Bateman's Bay and Broulee...

Yup, my dad lost his place. My friend in the next street, hers survived. Catalina Heights.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It's all terrible.

With all this going on I hope all governments have a plan to back burn scrub during the colder months. I makes perfect sense right ?

Especially residential areas that have dry fuel. 1000s of trees fall over everyday and lie dormant for years. Controlled back burning under perfect weather conditions is the way to go.

Of course people living in remote areas..well that's a completely different beast and once again from me I hope and pray everybody is ok. I've not seen a dryer time. The ground is burnt dry and we've had nothing resembling rain for yonks.

@Fui..how's it going today ?
@reptar..thinking of you today mate.
@Watanobbi..stay alert, get out if need be.

- another new year, another hangover..I'll never learn.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Thanks PJ, all good here. Conditions are much better so and we haven’t had aircraft since dusk and fire lines havent moved since midnight. Wind is pushing it away from us until at least Saturday, so I’m headed off camping with the family this morning. To a dam. With lots of water.....
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Off topic

Cobargo the day after.

Got a message from the family saying they’re ok. Haven’t been able to reach them. Phones are down, and mobiles out of service.

I feel guilty going on holidays in a couple of days, but I know there’s not a lot I can do right now. I go back to work on the 15th, and get back from Port Douglas on the 10th. Hoping the roads are cleared by then so I can get down and help out before I go back to work

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Bloody hell Reptar and Fui, that's just awful.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

you never expect to see that in this day and age.

Fui, Reppy fingers crossed all ok - buildings can be fixed lives cannot

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Thanks guys, just got off the phone with my mum. She’s ok, feeling overwhelmed about the impending cleanup. She’s had some neighbours check in on them. They can get to the main road, but still can’t get into Cobargo.

Talking to mates down there, and the general message was the speed of this fire was faster than anything experienced. Peak Alone went up, and there was this strong wind that just sent the embers raining down all over the place. I’ve been struggling to understand, as there’s not that much bushland between Wandella and Cobargo, so the wind really carried it.

No ones experienced anything like this.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It actually sounds very much like what happened in the Canberra bushfires of 2003. The fire creates its "own weather" and it becomes a fire storm.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:It actually sounds very much like what happened in the Canberra bushfires of 2003. The fire creates its "own weather" and it becomes a fire storm.
Yeah that’s sounds like what happened here as well. Talking to my pop who’s 81 and lives in Cobargo, he was adamant he had nothing to worry about. There was not enough grass to burn and plenty of open land between Wandella and Cobargo, and there’s never been a fire get to Cobargo that way.

Just glad my cousins got him to Bermagui

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just throwing it out there, mods you can remove if it violates anything, but my cousin beat me to it and set up a Go Fund Me account for Mama Fui. Just to help with feed for the livestock.

If you’d like to help donate, the link is https://www.gofundme.com/f/1usju058ao?u ... 421d439f8e

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Don't believe everything you read in a public toilet.

Sharon is not up for a good time.

What an awkward phone call that was...
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: January 8, 2020, 5:18 am Don't believe everything you read in a public toilet.

Sharon is not up for a good time.

What an awkward phone call that was...
I figured a silver tongue like you would have been able to talk her around?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

You know when you go to a cafe and they have signed headshots of celebrities who have eaten there on their wall. How does that work? Do celebrities carry headshots around, or do cafe owners frantically print one off Google?

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 8, 2020, 9:26 am You know when you go to a cafe and they have signed headshots of celebrities who have eaten there on their wall. How does that work? Do celebrities carry headshots around, or do cafe owners frantically print one off Google?
Maybe the cafe owners take a photo of said celebrity with their Apple IPhone 17, hook it up to a printer type gadget and print it off.

I heard Mitchell Pearce was to appear at one of the local McDonalds restaurants here in Newcastle for McHappy Day recently, I wanted to go just to throw a milkshake over the bloke..

Mrs PJ wouldn't allow it..she didn't want me appearing on the local news.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

See, I thought that, but I’m in Port Douglas and there was one place with a full on Black and White signed professional headshot of Matthew McConaughey. Which sparked the question.

Gabriel Byrne popped into the Bemboka pie shop while filming Jindabyne. Signed a plate saying it was one of the best pies he’s had

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 8, 2020, 9:48 am See, I thought that, but I’m in Port Douglas and there was one place with a full on Black and White signed professional headshot of Matthew McConaughey. Which sparked the question.

Gabriel Byrne popped into the Bemboka pie shop while filming Jindabyne. Signed a plate saying it was one of the best pies he’s had
That Matthew McConaughey bit sounds dodgy.

There needs to be an investigation..(picture GToovey)

Give us an update on fires and family Fui, I hope all is well mate..
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Thanks mate, Ma and Pa Fui are doing ok. No immediate concerns. GoFundMe got the necessary funds for livestock feed, and they got a truckload of hay donated to them. Add to that, the pumps up and running, so the animals are fed and watered.

They have a generator going, so they have power for now. So they aren’t concerned, just working on cleaning up the farm.

They were planning on getting out of the dairy game at the end of Jan, so this has just sped up the process

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Good news.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I got my licence renewal in the mail yesterday. I usually go the 5yr contract but there's also a 10yr available. But only if you're aged 21-44.

I don't know why but I will find out..

$188 for the 5yrs, which is very good considering I'll be getting a 50% discount for being an immaculate human. I'm still going to ask the question about this 10yr deal.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:I got my licence renewal in the mail yesterday. I usually go the 5yr contract but there's also a 10yr available. But only if you're aged 21-44.

$188 for the 5yrs, which is very good considering I'll be getting a 50% discount for being an immaculate human. I'm still going to ask the question about this 10yr deal.
eyesight testing

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: January 9, 2020, 7:48 am
-PJ- wrote:I got my licence renewal in the mail yesterday. I usually go the 5yr contract but there's also a 10yr available. But only if you're aged 21-44.

eyesight testing

Yeah..thought as much.

If a 44yr old gets a 10yr licence his eyes ain't getting tested until he's 54..(rta testing)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I find it cute Sydney is whinging about the air quality being double hazardous..

Diddums, it was over 30x hazardous here in the last 2 months multiple times

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:I find it cute Sydney is whinging about the air quality being double hazardous..

Diddums, it was over 30x hazardous here in the last 2 months multiple times

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
I find it cute Canberra is whinging about the air quality being 30x hazardous...

Diddums, in bushfire affected areas it’s like that but people are losing homes and their lives to the fire.

Double hazardous is still hazardous. No, it hasn’t got quite as high as in Canberra, but Sydney has also had many days of multiples of hazardous with worst areas having reached the 2000s for the particle counts at times.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I've been to LakeMac council HQ this morning.

I've applied to have a diseased tree removed from my back yard. About 6 months ago a tree guy came and lopped some branches that were hanging over my house. When he inspected the tree he told me it was crook..dying..almost dead and he advised me to see council about getting permission to have it knocked over and taken away.

So I've been into see my blood sucking local council..

Now..while council employees are very friendly and just doing their job I understand they have their hands tied when it comes to regulations.."just following procedure" she kept saying. So in preparation for my visit I rang council in advance and they told me to bring a report from the tree guy saying that yes..the tree is diseased and needs to be removed. So with report in hand I'm off..

I'm in a stink mood today and this didn't help.

PJ-'good morning, I'm here to apply to have a sick tree removed.
Woman- Ok, what's your address ? Ill bring up your property on google earth...(told her)
Woman- Is this the tree ?
PJ- yes, that's it.
Woman- Do you know how far it is from the house to the tree because if it's under 5mtrs you don't need council approval.
PJ- I'm not sure, it could be close to 5mtrs. Maybe a touch over, maybe a touch under.
Woman- Well, if you're unsure you can go home and measure the distance and come back OR you can go ahead with the application anyway.
PJ- There's no way I'm coming back so log the application.

She's fiddling with the computer...

Woman- That'll be $138. How would you like to pay for that ?
PJ- Cash.
PJ- What happens now ? Do I just ring my tree guy and get him to do the job ?
Woman- No, we will send our arborist out to your address in the next 4-6 weeks to have a look at the tree and confirm its dead.
PJ- You're kidding right ? I just gave you a report from my tree guy, he's a professional. Don't you trust him ?
Woman- Just following procedure sir.
PJ- Fine.(my parents raised me to respect others, I'm a nice guy..but)
Woman- Is there anything else I can help you with today ?
PJ- Actually yes, I'm after a map a Lake Macquarie. Do you have any ?
Woman- Yes we do ( she pulls out a laminated map of the lake)that's going to set you back $10.
PJ- $10 ? Let's round it up to $15 because I used the men's earlier and left an awful mess, keep ya map, have a great day(I check out her name plate)...Cheryl..!!!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Classic Cheryl. Did you go home and measure out if you were within 5m?

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 15, 2020, 3:36 pm Classic Cheryl. Did you go home and measure out if you were within 5m?
You know i did.. :lol:

6.2m
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Should have used imperial metres
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I had a run in with Blacktown Council years ago. Similar thing, I wanted to get rid of this palm tree. When they asked if it was sick, I replied “No, nothing’s wrong with it, I just don’t like it and want it gone.”

They told me they couldn’t approve, because it’s... can’t think of the word... not a native species, but they planted those trees back when Moses was fullback for Jerusalem, so they are protected.

I tried the old “It’s not like I’m cutting down a eucalyptus or anything” line, didn’t work.

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can’t believe they palmed you off like that
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I know right? I was going to fight it, but in the end I decided to keep palm and carry on

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

my motorbike got stolen and recovered just waiting to go to the assessor, anyway before the transport guy can touch it they need to clear it for sharps, poor girl has to come from Sydney to check it.
It's clean, they just took it and dumped it don't think they managed to get it going.
Nobody in the hunter area can do sharps inspections???

Edrick The Entertainer