Things you remember that don't exist anymore....

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Re: Things you remember that don't exist anymore....

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

While I'm on the subject of TV shows. I miss proper star trek ie a TV series that had character development and was about a underlying story not a jj Abraham's test reel for star wars. One day I'd really like a TV series again but Sci Fi these days ain't what it used to be. It's all drama and Sci Fi lite crap... Nope not for me. The moment Sci Fi channel went to syfy science fiction as a genre went downhill.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

On the subject of a series not becoming soulless to keep taking in the green - Breaking Bad.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

I miss Kate from LOST.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Raider Bell wrote:On the subject of a series not becoming soulless to keep taking in the green - Breaking Bad.
Seinfeld went out on its shield as well. I think it remained funny right until the end

I still find Family Guy pretty funny.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Raider Bell wrote:On the subject of a series not becoming soulless to keep taking in the green - Breaking Bad.
Seinfeld went out on its shield as well. I think it remained funny right until the end

Yeah fair call GeM. Before breaking bad Seinfeld was my favourite show of all time. These pretzels are makin me thirsty!

Another show that went out on a huge high was the Chappelle Show. Stunned people across the world when he canned it. Easily could have pumped another season or two out and brought home the stacks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

DBOT187 wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
DBOT187 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The Simpsons was never funny.
Seasons 1 to 8 were funny.. The rest I agree.
Its hard to say, I'm only a recent convert to Simpsons, and the eps I've seen, I've seen 100 times. They just seem to replay the same ones all the time.

They got funny once they realised Homer was better value than Bart.
Well the old episodes are more funnier. Combination of nostalgia and just punchier jokes. There were crap episodes back then too.. But these days its more miss for me then hit.
Actually about Seasons 3 to 4 up until 10 are the funniest.

Seasons 1 and 2 are pretty much rubbish. The new ones are a bit too out there too, but still good. Just not as good.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:

Yep, Seinfeld and Simpsons are the two shows I can watch over and over again the most.
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

Schifty wrote:
DBOT187 wrote:
Schifty wrote:
Greenbits wrote:I'm no chance anymore

GH competitive eating league for the offseason?

Challenge one- McNuggets Challenge
Challenge two: eat a whole KFC 25 or 30 dollar family feed by yourself. One of my college mates got so close too.
hmm what does that entail?

Hopefully there's not an entire sara less desert at the end.
From memory 10 pieces of chicken 2 large chips a drink and some other stuff as well. He stumped up on the chips
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

Raider Bell wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Yeah fair call GeM. Before breaking bad Seinfeld was my favourite show of all time. These pretzels are makin me thirsty!

Another show that went out on a huge high was the Chappelle Show. Stunned people across the world when he canned it. Easily could have pumped another season or two out and brought home the stacks.
I'm sure you heard the story of why he stopped the show.... Basically people were coming up to him everywhere quoting his lines and also some jokes that were a little over the top that comedy central wanted to do that he didn't agree with. Something like that.

I'm sure you read the story where he tried to do a comedy show recently and everyone just kept quoting his old lines and he just sat there read a book had a smoke and then buggered off.
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

The Nickman wrote:
DBOT187 wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
DBOT187 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The Simpsons was never funny.
Seasons 1 to 8 were funny.. The rest I agree.
Its hard to say, I'm only a recent convert to Simpsons, and the eps I've seen, I've seen 100 times. They just seem to replay the same ones all the time.

They got funny once they realised Homer was better value than Bart.
Well the old episodes are more funnier. Combination of nostalgia and just punchier jokes. There were crap episodes back then too.. But these days its more miss for me then hit.
Actually about Seasons 3 to 4 up until 10 are the funniest.

Seasons 1 and 2 are pretty much rubbish. The new ones are a bit too out there too, but still good. Just not as good.
It's been too long since I've watched season 2 and 1 to confirm or deny. The new stuff can be good from time to time and there are a few funny lines/occasionally an episode... This season though it's been more miss then hit for me.

Same with family guy sure there's a good episode here or there, or a funny moment but it's not as good and sometimes horrible.

Mind you the winner of worst shows at the moment has to go to how I met your mother... Horrible.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The Cat Burglar series was the best one, whichever that one is.
robtheraider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Chris O'Sullivan

Post by robtheraider »

Worm wrote:The UK Fosters is out of Liverpool is it not, or is that a rumour? That's what the barman over there told me.. I wasn't sure if it was even still ours?

RRA.. You are in the industry, is that true?
Back in 2004/5 I worked in IT for Fosters international...got to travel the world visiting the Fosters's Breweries doing IT, then heading out every night to 5 or 6 night spots to sample the locally brewed fosters product.... basically being paid to travel the world dinking free beer....wonderful times

In those days, there were breweries in China, Vietnam, Fiji, and India. In England and NZ, Aussie beer was imported from Aus, but from memory they were looking to let local breweries brew the beer under license, but i am unsure if this went ahead or not...so potentially, Fosters could be brewed in Liverpool.

And FWIW, I was told by a brewer that Fosters and Crown is the same recipe, but brewed to different standards....so if a crown brew didn't make the required standard, it was bottled and sold as Fosters. A Fosters brew could make the crown standard, but would still be bottled and sold as Crown.
To all the people with telekinetic powers...please raise my hand.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

robtheraider wrote:
Worm wrote:The UK Fosters is out of Liverpool is it not, or is that a rumour? That's what the barman over there told me.. I wasn't sure if it was even still ours?

RRA.. You are in the industry, is that true?
Back in 2004/5 I worked in IT for Fosters international...got to travel the world visiting the Fosters's Breweries doing IT, then heading out every night to 5 or 6 night spots to sample the locally brewed fosters product.... basically being paid to travel the world dinking free beer....wonderful times

In those days, there were breweries in China, Vietnam, Fiji, and India. In England and NZ, Aussie beer was imported from Aus, but from memory they were looking to let local breweries brew the beer under license, but i am unsure if this went ahead or not...so potentially, Fosters could be brewed in Liverpool.

And FWIW, I was told by a brewer that Fosters and Crown is the same recipe, but brewed to different standards....so if a crown brew didn't make the required standard, it was bottled and sold as Fosters. A Fosters brew could make the crown standard, but would still be bottled and sold as Crown.
Cracking Av, Rob.