Melbourne clearly has no beaches

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Melbourne clearly has no beaches

Post by The Nickman »

Nick wrote:Lots of watering holes in Melbs though Guttriss, a booze hound could get lost in the CBD for days, and if you're a RL player you get the added bonus of no one giving a **** about you because you're not an AFL player.

All the multiple contracts and boats probably help them though. Should we be offering players under the table boats over at Yarra, GE?
Guttriss would absolutely love Melbourne! The pub scene is fantastic.

Come to think of it, ol' Gutters would fit in very well in Bundy or Rocky too. They both have a pub on every corner in the CBD.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The Nickman wrote:
Nick wrote:Lots of watering holes in Melbs though Guttriss, a booze hound could get lost in the CBD for days, and if you're a RL player you get the added bonus of no one giving a **** about you because you're not an AFL player.

All the multiple contracts and boats probably help them though. Should we be offering players under the table boats over at Yarra, GE?

Come to think of it, ol' Gutters would fit in very well in Bundy or Rocky too. They both have a pub on every corner in the CBD.
I think Bundy would be perfect for him.

Should put in some transfer request now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Unfortunately, the criticisms of Canberra and Sydney are pale and lack any semblance of truth. The criticism of Melbourne, spot on.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:

Problem with Bundy when I went there a few years ago none of the pubs I could find were open on Sunday
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

greeneyed wrote:Unfortunately, the criticisms of Canberra and Sydney are pale and lack any semblance of truth. The criticism of Melbourne, spot on.
The problem is jealously. Their biggest gripe with Melbourne was the weather. Puh-lease.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No it's the parochialism that is Melbourne's downfall. And the self aggrandisement, that is not backed by any actual "qualities" of the town. I always laugh when Melburnians say "this is the Paris end of Melbourne". Which is a bit like saying, it's the Paris end of Bucharest.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote:No it's the parochialism that is Melbourne's downfall. And the self aggrandisement
Coming from a Qlder :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Problem with Bundy when I went there a few years ago none of the pubs I could find were open on Sunday
What, **** off. Was it Christmas day??
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Festivus
Lord Funkington
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia Soliola

Post by Lord Funkington »

Melbourne doesn't have beaches, but I can't remember being able to drag a beach chair into burley griffin with a floating esky on a 42 degree day like I can at Elwood...
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

Had one of the best nighs ever at Central Hotel @ Bundy.

That is all.

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The Central. Ugh, I remember when that place was called the Federal. We used to drink there when we were 16.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Firstly, this thread is the goods and should be renamed "The Future Boogs Award Winning Melbourne Clearly Has No Beaches Thread". Secondly, no one has mentioned the little alleyways full of cafes and pubs. They are simply awesome. Of course a city of such alleyways is fraught with danger for the average rugby league player who has the irresistible urge to urinate whenever he happens across one.
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

Greenbits wrote:Firstly, this thread is the goods and should be renamed "The Future Boogs Award Winning Melbourne Clearly Has No Beaches Thread". Secondly, no one has mentioned the little alleyways full of cafes and pubs. They are simply awesome. Of course a city of such alleyways is fraught with danger for the average rugby league player who has the irresistible urge to urinate whenever he happens across one.
Thats what I've found about Melbourne. All the good or interesting spots are tucked away in an alleyway somewhere rather then out in the open or on main streets. Need to actually go looking for the good cafes and pubs
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Baywatch wrote:
Greenbits wrote:Firstly, this thread is the goods and should be renamed "The Future Boogs Award Winning Melbourne Clearly Has No Beaches Thread". Secondly, no one has mentioned the little alleyways full of cafes and pubs. They are simply awesome. Of course a city of such alleyways is fraught with danger for the average rugby league player who has the irresistible urge to urinate whenever he happens across one.
Thats what I've found about Melbourne. All the good or interesting spots are tucked away in an alleyway somewhere rather then out in the open or on main streets. Need to actually go looking for the good cafes and pubs
That's a big part of the charm. Though apparently it's parochial to think so. I should just get back to whinging about those cold winds we get.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Guttriss would never go down one of those alleys with fear of getting mugged.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

No way Guttriss hits the alleys. Too progressive and diverse for an booze hound like that
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah true, he just wants to rock up to a mainstream bar and drink straight out of the bottle.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have you ever been in the Melbourne CBD at night? Those alleyways are DANGEROUS!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Only if bigcheese is with you
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

I can only imagine Guttriss and Bigcheese sitting in a Melbourne Pub, sitting in the corner back to back to make sure no one jumps them :lol:

I bet like Guttriss, bigcheese is a rummy too.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Nope just a random Sunday afternoon about 6years ago, complained to the mate whose business I was helping start up and he told me it was the norm, times must've changed since then though.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

I cannot believe people from Canberra are bagging Melbourne.

Cannot. Believe.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

It's only the usual narrow minded suspects Dogg.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shezza wrote:I cannot believe people from Canberra are bagging Melbourne.

Cannot. Believe.
The whole of the rest of Australia is entitled to bag Melbourne. It's Melbourne.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

My whole family is from Melbourne originally, however I grew up in the Northern Rivers of NSW. Notwithstanding, I've spent a bit of time in Melbourne.

It is a wonderful, diverse, cultural, sporting city. How can you even begin to criticise it, especially when you call Canberra home?

Goodness, tomorrow Nickman will be saying Rocky is better than Brisbane.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Begin to criticise it? Let me count the ways!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Shezza wrote: I grew up in the Northern Rivers of NSW.
Where abouts mate? I grew up in Alstonville
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Manbush wrote:
We had this convo two weeks ago. My Dad has a farm at Wollongbar.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Dont mind MB, Dogg.
He's smoked a lot of pot in his days, not that it has any long lasting effects of anything
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Shezza wrote:
Manbush wrote:
We had this convo two weeks ago. My Dad has a farm at Wollongbar.
Haha that's right, just before my families irrigation business went bust due to weather and CSIRO, short term memory is crap thankfully long term is good :lol:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I've probably been to Melbourne 40-50 times. It's a terribly overrated city.

There are perhaps a few places that I'd trade for the great city of Canberra, but Melbourne ain't one of 'em.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every time I get home to Canberra from Melbourne, I am grateful.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Guttriss... smh.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Melbourne clearly has no beaches

Post by -TW- »

I'm grateful everytime I leave canberra

Sure it's a nice place, but better than Melbourne.. Pulease...

Even batemans bay is more enjoyable.. And with the amount of canberrans that go there it's practically a suburb