Don Furner

Re: Melbourne clearly has no beaches

Post by greeneyed »

I'm very sad you are feeling this Tim.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I'll be moving back to Canberra eventually because I love the place to bits but Melbourne has grown on me so much already. Some of the criticisms of Melbourne in this thread are a stretch to say the least.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re:

Post by greeneyed »

Toviii wrote:I'll be going back to Canberra eventually because I love the place to bits but Melbourne has grown on me so much already. Some of the criticisms of Melbourne in this thread are a stretch to say the least.
They have trams. I'm not sure that's good though.

Let's be completely open.

It's the most parochial, unfriendly city I've ever visited. Very limited compensations.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I've been here for 4 years and I'm over it

I came here cause it was convenient to get home and I have family here

Sure I've met some awesome people here, but the place itself isn't that stimulating
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

greeneyed wrote:
Toviii wrote:I'll be going back to Canberra eventually because I love the place to bits but Melbourne has grown on me so much already. Some of the criticisms of Melbourne in this thread are a stretch to say the least.
They have trams. I'm not sure that's good though.

Let's be completely open.

It's the most parochial, unfriendly city I've ever visited. Very limited compensations.
I'm sorry if that was your experience, but I haven't found that with anyone I've met here.
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

This thread is quite funny so I'll throw my comments in the mix. I spent last weekend down in Melbourne and had a whale of a time. Stayed at a mates place in Brunswick where they took me to a number of funky beer gardens, roof top bars etc. Had a great meal somewhere in Northcote and saw a great band. At the end of the night we were able to walk home in 10 mins. The next day witnessed a 10 min tram into the city where we connected on another tram to St.Kilda for Octoberfest. The public transport was amazing, particularly as it was a Sunday. Of course, Melbourne turned on great weather for the entire weekend.

Now that said, I was particularly looking forward to returning home to Canberra. Maybe I'm getting old, but I doubt I could keep with the pace of Melbourne life. Canberra is now my home and I am very lucky to be living here. Luckily I can afford a car so I don't need to use public transport. In Canberra I actually have a backyard where I can grow vegies, kick the footy with the kids etc. Oh and there is a bbq down the lake this weekend, you don't get that in Melbourne.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Shano wrote:In Canberra I actually have a backyard where I can grow vegies, kick the footy with the kids etc. Oh and there is a bbq down the lake this weekend, you don't get that in Melbourne.
Agree with this. It's a laid back lifestyle in Canberra, you don't get that so much here.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Bump.
Melbourne ranked most liveable city by the Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Index ;) (also the world's equal friendliest city)

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-pla ... 05nyc.html
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Melbourne the world's equal friendliest city? Bull, I agree with greeneyed on this one. It's horribly parochial.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

reptar wrote:Melbourne the world's equal friendliest city? Bull, I agree with greeneyed on this one. It's horribly parochial.
This coming from someone who lives in Qld, there's only one group who come close to Qlders for parochialism and that's Americans.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:
reptar wrote:Melbourne the world's equal friendliest city? Bull, I agree with greeneyed on this one. It's horribly parochial.
This coming from someone who lives in Qld, there's only one group who come close to Qlders for parochialism and that's Americans.
And Melbournians
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I may live in Queensland, but I'm not a Queenslander. I'm a Canberran. I may not have a balanced view of Brisbane, though, I rarely wander further than Newstead, the 'Gabba or West End from the city, unless its to go to the airport.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

You need to go further than 2km outside of the CBD to experience the real Brisbane
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

I'm taking 20 aboriginal kids from the desert to Melbourne in October. First city they've ever been to apart from Alice Springs. It'll be a bit like crocodile Dundee x 20.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Dr Zaius wrote:You need to go further than 2km outside of the CBD to experience the real Brisbane
I try not to do suburbia. If it leaves me alone, I'll leave it alone!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

reptar wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:You need to go further than 2km outside of the CBD to experience the real Brisbane
Embrace the boganity that is greater Brisbane
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Dr Zaius wrote:
reptar wrote:
Embrace the boganity that is greater Brisbane
Eww
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Begbie wrote:I'm taking 20 aboriginal kids from the desert to Melbourne in October. First city they've ever been to apart from Alice Springs. It'll be a bit like crocodile Dundee x 20.
I can imagine the outcry now when Begs gets on the cans and loses all 20 kids in the heart of Melbourne City.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
Begbie wrote:I'm taking 20 aboriginal kids from the desert to Melbourne in October. First city they've ever been to apart from Alice Springs. It'll be a bit like crocodile Dundee x 20.
I can imagine the outcry now when Begs gets on the cans and loses all 20 kids in the heart of Melbourne City.
20 more kids roaming Melbourne CBD... Who'd notice?
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

Nick Reiwolt.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"