Advice on diesel or petrol vehicle

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

hey yo
my wife has finally agreed to letting me trade in her sh#tty little honda civic for a decent vehicle. now my prob is im looking for a used dual cab and have found two.
the first:
toyota hilux 07
107000km
diesel
$14990. ( which is a bit more than the wife is letting me spend)
see now ive heard its better to buy diesel but im only going to be using the dual cab for highway driving and a few runs to the tip etc.)
the second :
toyota hilux 06
186000km
petrol.
$11990 ( its also got rims worth $3000. new alternator battery and tyres. from a gym in sydney so not beaten up.)
honestly dont know what to do so ive turned to you. wise and all knowing slapnuts.
thanks
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Re: Advice on diesel or petrol vehicle

Post by Captain Punish »

Shez can tell you a little thing or two about Diesel.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

I assume you are lloking at Dual Cab Workmate 4x2 or similar, as an 07 SR5 4x4 would be more like $25k

FTR get the diesel.

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Diesel for sure. But I have heard some bad things about the Toyota D4D motor. Having problems with injectors due to Australias dirty diesel. There have been a fair few cases of having to replace the injectors due to this problem. Solution is putting a filter just after the tank, but in turn it will void Toyotas warranty.
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

Electric
Well, at least Jack got paid.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Diesel all day every day
Edrick The Entertainer
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

bonehead wrote:Diesel all day every day
I suggest you visit The Betting Thread. You will re-think that line of thought pretty quickly I believe.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

Diesel for sure.

Petrol Hilux's are pretty thirsty for the most part. You won't regret a diesel.

I had a petrol hilux, and wouldve swapped it in a heartbeat for a diesel. Instead I sold it for a fuel-miser Micra. Yep, my life is pretty lame.

If I had the money now I'd be offloading my V6 VE commodore sportwagon for a diesel car, but sadly finances don't permit. Fuel bill is a killer.
Raiders member no# 2278.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Worm wrote:
bonehead wrote:Diesel all day every day
I suggest you visit The Betting Thread. You will re-think that line of thought pretty quickly I believe.
more hat
Edrick The Entertainer
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

I recently got a diesel twincab hilux 04. Just got back from a 400km trip to the desert on dirt, drives like a dream. Only thing is, once you stop and turn off the ignition, the engine keeps running for a few minutes. Is this normal? A mate reckons turbo Diesel engines do this.

I was wondering if any of you guys knew anything about this? I can't contact the mechanic till after New Years. Whhat do you do at the servo? Is it alright to Fill up with the engine running?
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

I know some turbos run for a bit longer, but an 04 Hilux? That seems strange. As for fueling up it's no dramas to do it while the engine is running, but some places prefer you ask out of courtesy if something does go wrong.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Yeah, it's had turbo added after manufacture. Sometimes it will keep running for 30 seconds and other times up to 5 minutes. 5 minutes is a long time to wait at a servo. I actually stalled it in first once just to stop the damn thing. Apart from that it's an absolute dream.
elf
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Ben Cross

Post by elf »

Begbie wrote:I recently got a diesel twincab hilux 04. Just got back from a 400km trip to the desert on dirt, drives like a dream. Only thing is, once you stop and turn off the ignition, the engine keeps running for a few minutes. Is this normal? A mate reckons turbo Diesel engines do this.

I was wondering if any of you guys knew anything about this? I can't contact the mechanic till after New Years. Whhat do you do at the servo? Is it alright to Fill up with the engine running?
Only some diesels do this. I've had turbo diesel Navaras for the last 15 years and they never do it. Legally your engine must be turned off when filling at a servo.

The Diesel would be the better buy assuming the exterior/interior is up to scratch and Engine wise, assuming the servicing has been done regularly. A serviced Diesel will go forever!
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

elf wrote:
Begbie wrote:I recently got a diesel twincab hilux 04. Just got back from a 400km trip to the desert on dirt, drives like a dream. Only thing is, once you stop and turn off the ignition, the engine keeps running for a few minutes. Is this normal? A mate reckons turbo Diesel engines do this.

Only some diesels do this. I've had turbo diesel Navaras for the last 15 years and they never do it. Legally your engine must be turned off when filling at a servo.

The Diesel would be the better buy assuming the exterior/interior is up to scratch and Engine wise, assuming the servicing has been done regularly. A serviced Diesel will go forever!
This things been serviced,I have the records to prove it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But you should let a turbo run out until it's finished.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

greeneyed wrote:But you should let a turbo run out until it's finished.
That's what my mate said. But when you're at the servo with bloke waving his fist to get on with it, what do you do?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Begbie wrote:
greeneyed wrote:But you should let a turbo run out until it's finished.
That's what my mate said. But when you're at the servo with bloke waving his fist to get on with it, what do you do?
Tell him you have a turbo that must cut out.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

It prob is fitted with a turbo timer. They let the turbo boost down so it does not cause damage when restarting. You are meant to let most turbo cars idle for a while before turning off
craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Post by craigo »

yep sounds to me it has a turbo timer witch is a good thing you need your turbo to cool down and the boost to drop before turning of so you don't damage the turbo. Nothing to worry about.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

Has nothing to do with "boost dropping down".
Positive manifold pressure is "boost". At idle you have manifold vacuum. Boost is compressed air, developed when the exhaust gases spin up the turbo when the engine is under load.

Turbo timers are designed to let the oil (and in a lot of cases, water as well) continue to run through the housing of the turbo to cool it down. The turbo can run at incredibly high temps, and shutting it off immediately can cause damage to the turbo. There is no relevance to the restarting of the engine.

However, for regular driving (sports car or diesel) there is little benefit to this. For your average trip where the engine (and thus, turbo) aren't under heavy load it isn't really necessary to let it idle for long. If you've been giving it a good thrashing or have been towing a heavy load, it is certainly advisable.

I've owned several turbo cars (petrol) and on numerous occasions have had the turbo glowing bright red after a good bit of stick.
Raiders member no# 2278.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Begbie wrote:Yeah, it's had turbo added after manufacture. Sometimes it will keep running for 30 seconds and other times up to 5 minutes. 5 minutes is a long time to wait at a servo. I actually stalled it in first once just to stop the damn thing. Apart from that it's an absolute dream.
Sounds like you have a turbo timer.

It will run according to how you've been driving-if you've been revving it hard it idles longer after you stop.
Perfectly normal
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

FTR don't fill up with the car running
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Thanks for that guys, I worked it out. You can adjust the timer, mine was set to five minutes. I changed it to 2. You can also shut it off manually by pressing a button.