The phone thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

gergreg
Gary Belcher

Re: The phone thread

Post by gergreg » October 13, 2017, 5:55 pm

I'll finally be buying a new phone soon. I've decided on a Samsung J5 because I'm cheap. I don't need anything fancy as I'll probably only use it for listening to music and for Strava and the occasional phone call to the Minister for War and Finance.

Anybody recommend a network to go with? Am I best off sticking with an Optus or Telstra?
Shoving it in your face since 2017

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead » October 14, 2017, 7:17 am

gergreg wrote:I'll finally be buying a new phone soon. I've decided on a Samsung J5 because I'm cheap. I don't need anything fancy as I'll probably only use it for listening to music and for Strava and the occasional phone call to the Minister for War and Finance.

Anybody recommend a network to go with? Am I best off sticking with an Optus or Telstra?
the boys at work have the j5 and love them
Edrick The Entertainer

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- » October 14, 2017, 10:30 am

BYO phone is the best thing you can do. The plans are infinitely better and you're not getting rorted for lease/repayment fees

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

gergreg
Gary Belcher

Post by gergreg » October 14, 2017, 1:12 pm

Yeah, I've seen it on sale for about 300 but I'm not sure if that is unlocked. I'll look into it when I get back. Probably just go with Telstra too so I can attempt to bundle a home phone for wifi.

Sterlk
John Ferguson

Post by Sterlk » October 24, 2017, 8:44 pm

I'm with Aldi mobile, they resell Telstra - best coverage at great prices. Depends on your usage though, I don't use much, these guys picked up a Money Magazine award for best low usage rates.

Imported a OnePlus X for the phone itself, not flagship internals but premium look and feel.

Have a play around here: https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?
Will open your eyes to possibilities you didn't know you had. Find the frequencies of your chosen carrier, select those, pick an OLED screen and search away!
:!: Warning: poster is incapable of humour, engage with at your own risk. Symptoms of engagement may include frustration, mental imbalance and temporary insanity.

gergreg
Gary Belcher

Post by gergreg » October 24, 2017, 9:28 pm

I ordered a J5 for me and one for the wife earlier today so missed your post. The best I found was Kogan - even with their extortionist postage it came out cheaper than any other place i could see.