The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: The phone thread

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
Tim W wrote:Who complains about KFC...
Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Pick up the phone Tim!
*grunts* eughhr private number ... Meh *chucks phone away*
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote:I have to say, the phone thread has become much more interesting. There's some threads you open as a mod, thinking, this is the most boring thread ever... But now Begbie has made the phone thread interesting. People can ring up anyone!
Interesting and posting on GH while loaded on the Colonel's finest and Penfolds Grange are two different things.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Go to bed GE.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Goodnight Begbie.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Sweet dreams to all my Gh friends.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good night Begbie, good night Tim, good night Schifty!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Shadow Boxer wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:That patent case was a complete farce. In any court other than the Apple sympathetic US it would have been laughed at. They patented and won of a "rectangular shape" ****

But Android and companies like Samsung and HTC have moved passed that. Apple has stagnated. The other companies are the innovators now and hypocritically, Apple are just copying them.
m not going to retry a case contested by the worlds best lawyers and deepest pockets on a rugby league forum but if you read the link and do a bit of research basically everything that makes the modern smart phone what it is today was innovated by Apple.

I don't think you could find one unique innovation introduced by Samsung. They make cheaper, inferior copies. The McDonalds of the phone world.
Well you've obviously never used an S4, which has many features that the iPhone does not have but probably will soon, much to the admiration of Apple sheeps such as yourself.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This isn't the first time Apple built a new user interface based on the ideas of others, then sued competitors for using those same ideas.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012 ... he-iphone/

Ripping off for iOS 5:
http://m.ibtimes.com/iphone-5-features- ... ers-314974

Ripping off for iOS 7:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/06/11 ... m-android/

Apple rips off everyone!
http://m.fastcodesign.com/1672799/5-ide ... -microsoft

Finally:
"Good artists borrow, great artists steal" - Steve Jobs

:lol: what a hypocrite!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Pick up the phone Zaius!
ForeverMcCrone
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: #Forever McCrone

Post by ForeverMcCrone »

The Nickman wrote:Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Pick up the phone Zaius!
Help me Dr Zaius....
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Dr Zaius wrote:
This isn't the first time Apple built a new user interface based on the ideas of others, then sued competitors for using those same ideas.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012 ... he-iphone/

Ripping off for iOS 5:
http://m.ibtimes.com/iphone-5-features- ... ers-314974

Ripping off for iOS 7:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/06/11 ... m-android/

Apple rips off everyone!
http://m.fastcodesign.com/1672799/5-ide ... -microsoft

Finally:
"Good artists borrow, great artists steal" - Steve Jobs

:lol: what a hypocrite!
Mate if you are going to post links you probably should ensure they actually support your case.
he iPhone was finally unveiled in January 2007. LG accused Apple of copying its design, saying it was disclosed in September 2006 in order to compete for an IF Design Award (which it won). The accusation doesn't hold much credibility, however. Although the phones have undeniable similarities, the iPhone features a more sophisticated user interface. For example, the iPhone used the flick-to-scroll gesture now common on smartphones; the LG Prada used a desktop-style scroll bar. The two phones were likely developed independently.
Apple developed the first massively successful smart phone with pinch, swipe, icon layout associated ecosystem and many other patents

Samsung copied it, the facts are not in dispute, you could argue the samsung copy is now just as good but you'd probably be wrong there as well.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Perhaps you need to read it. Apple may have pulled it all together, but they borrowed heavily from many others. Android may have initially borrowed from Apple, but they've moved past it and are now the innovators that Apple are borrowing from. Jobs freely admitted it yet threatened Google. He, Apple and it's fanbois are hypocrites.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Ring, ring... Pick up the phone Zaius!
You think he'd answer!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I have servants for such trivial tasks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
You think he'd answer!
Typical NSWman
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

The Nickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
You think he'd answer!
Typical NSWman
Zaius obviously has caller ID ;)
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I know he's home, I can see him walking around in there!!
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Post by SirMcSquid »

Ring, ring? How many people still have a home phone?
banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Sir McSquid wrote:Ring, ring? How many people still have a home phone?
I do, I try and use it as I was told its cheaper than a mobile to make outgoing calls.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

I do, but we only have it purely to get internet, I can't get a naked line where I am.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Dr Zaius wrote:Perhaps you need to read it. Apple may have pulled it all together, but they borrowed heavily from many others. Android may have initially borrowed from Apple, but they've moved past it and are now the innovators that Apple are borrowing from. Jobs freely admitted it yet threatened Google. He, Apple and it's fanbois are hypocrites.
You can't see the difference between scouring the world for a range of different technologies and drawing them together in a truly revolutionary product that changed the world and illegally copying that product ?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raises hand.. It's cheaper to have a landline bundle I've found.. Even though you don't really get charged for the phone
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Shadow Boxer wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Perhaps you need to read it. Apple may have pulled it all together, but they borrowed heavily from many others. Android may have initially borrowed from Apple, but they've moved past it and are now the innovators that Apple are borrowing from. Jobs freely admitted it yet threatened Google. He, Apple and it's fanbois are hypocrites.
You can't see the difference between scouring the world for a range of different technologies and drawing them together in a truly revolutionary product that changed the world and illegally copying that product ?
You give them too much credit. The iPhone wasn't the first smart phone, not by a long shot. It wasn't even the first multitouch phone. It wasn't a giant leap as you and they would have us believe.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

First smart phone with a touch screen was in the early 90s.

Star Trek should've tried a counter suit when Apple sued Samsung over the iPad, they had had them on their show for years.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:
You give them too much credit. The iPhone wasn't the first smart phone, not by a long shot. It wasn't even the first multitouch phone. It wasn't a giant leap as you and they would have us believe.
It was the first successful one, a triumph of design, use ability and technology that people will reference in a hundred years.as a defining moment in technical evolution.

The Samsung will be long forgotten
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

How many shares DO you have in Apple, SB?
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I fight for the truth.

We changed our phone policy at work recently to try and ditch the blackberries. The 1200 people we provide phones for had a choice of iPhones, s4's Nokia/windows or the new blackberry.

1196 chose the iPhone.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ive got a HTC, loved my first one, this current one not so much, thinking of going with an iphone next time but might not, Im fairly ambivalent about the whole thing over than to say the Iphone nut huggers are incredibly pompous and annoying. Makes me want to steer clear of their products. But i don't have a dog in the race, and i dont know why anyone is so parochial about it,.

You'd think the iphone cured **** cancer the way it's talked about by your ilk. All they did was take an existing piece of technology and make it super user friendly. And for their trouble they have a large market share, the first usually do until the others catch up (HTC and Samsung have caught up and technology wise have over taken them and the Apple are losing some of that market share). Of course many people dont change, until my first HTC phone i was Nokia all the way, because it was just easier knowing how their phones work, i could get a knew phone and know instantly how to use it the first time i turned it on. Which is probably a large reason why Iphones are still leading the market, people like to be comfortable

Its hardly ground breaking stuff.
What's wrong with just being objective about a product? Apple get enough play as is, no need to blow smoke up their arses any further
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I'm out of here.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You cant run from me in EVERY thread, SB. :lol:
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Just over a week with the new S5 , I think Ive got it down pat and Im loving it

Very nice phone , its big but even though I have it in heavy duty case ( defender series ) it still fits comfortably in my pants pocket , including work pants where I do a heap of moving around
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Welcome brother
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

I was gonna get the S5, but might wait for the Note 4 instead.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

I'm going to buy an Ascend G6. I don't know why, but I have an unstoppable urge to.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
-TW-
Mal Meninga

The phone thread

Post by -TW- »

Do you get a gold jersey with it?