The phone thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: The phone thread

Post by gerg »

I'll finally be buying a new phone soon. I've decided on a Samsung J5 because I'm cheap. I don't need anything fancy as I'll probably only use it for listening to music and for Strava and the occasional phone call to the Minister for War and Finance.

Anybody recommend a network to go with? Am I best off sticking with an Optus or Telstra?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:I'll finally be buying a new phone soon. I've decided on a Samsung J5 because I'm cheap. I don't need anything fancy as I'll probably only use it for listening to music and for Strava and the occasional phone call to the Minister for War and Finance.

Anybody recommend a network to go with? Am I best off sticking with an Optus or Telstra?
the boys at work have the j5 and love them
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BYO phone is the best thing you can do. The plans are infinitely better and you're not getting rorted for lease/repayment fees

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah, I've seen it on sale for about 300 but I'm not sure if that is unlocked. I'll look into it when I get back. Probably just go with Telstra too so I can attempt to bundle a home phone for wifi.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I'm with Aldi mobile, they resell Telstra - best coverage at great prices. Depends on your usage though, I don't use much, these guys picked up a Money Magazine award for best low usage rates.

Imported a OnePlus X for the phone itself, not flagship internals but premium look and feel.

Have a play around here: https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?
Will open your eyes to possibilities you didn't know you had. Find the frequencies of your chosen carrier, select those, pick an OLED screen and search away!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I ordered a J5 for me and one for the wife earlier today so missed your post. The best I found was Kogan - even with their extortionist postage it came out cheaper than any other place i could see.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Looking to purchase a 128gb phone outright

What are people’s thoughts on
iPhone 11 vs Galaxy S10 vs Pixel 4?

Will the prices of these 3 drop instantly once the new Galaxy comes out mid Feb?

I had pretty good use out of my iPhone 6s, but it’s battery now drains quick and the sim drops out from time to time so it seems time for an upgrade
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

After having all 3, I'd say Pixel is comfortably the best phone I've had.

The Huawei P30 I've got at the moment is good, but the Pixel is very seemless and does a lot of stuff you wouldn't think is handy until you use it, ie always scanning for music, Google assistant etc.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I've seen this ad for Huawei's new phone.
https://www.cnet.com/news/huawei-mate-x ... -and-over/

Look's pretty cool. Any Huawei users on here? Worth switching from iphone?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I wouldn't touch a folding phone until the tech has had a few versions to develop.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ditto, that phone's just asking to fail

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

Don't go Huawei atm because it's been banned from the Google ecosystem. I have a P20 Pro and love it, one of the last ones with Google services on it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: February 10, 2020, 9:47 am I've seen this ad for Huawei's new phone.
https://www.cnet.com/news/huawei-mate-x ... -and-over/

Look's pretty cool. Any Huawei users on here? Worth switching from iphone?
Yeah - I have a P9 as I was one of those lucky Raiders members who scored one a few years back. It's been a great phone for me, way better than my old Iphone 5s but, the battery is now beginning to go with short charge and the camera playing up as a result. I'll have another one thanks Huawei! Cheers
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I have a Mate 20 Pro which is around 12 months old. Been a very good and reliable. I came from a Samsungs previously (Galaxy S8+ most recently). I found the Samsung UI a bit better but other than that there's no regrets from the switch. Camera and battery life much better on the Huawei.

Re: switching from an iPhone. Depends on how embedded you are in the iOS culture. Hard to switch to any Android device when you're fully invested in the Apple ecosystem.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I’m not that embedded. I’ve chopped and changed between iPhones and other Androids before. I don’t know, I have the iPhone X at the moment on a 3 year contract expiring next year, and I’m just not looking to spend crazy money again on a new phone
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

It's been a few years since this thread was active. A few things I've picked up since:

On the plans side, I since realised that there is a difference between Telstra Wholesale and Telstra Retail. Their wholesale arm that other carriers resell doesn't get access to their entire network, just a subset that is roughly equivalent to the coverage of Optus and others.

If you want the Telstra Retail network that gives you coverage in the middle of nowhere, your options are either Telstra themselves, or Boost. Boost have a unique partnership with Telstra in that you're literally on the Telstra network using the Telstra APNs, I hear that you deal with Telstra reps if you ever need to call them... it's a fraction of the price and essentially indistinguishable from the real deal.

Best thing about Boost is that you get the NRL Live Pass via the app for free as an unofficial benefit, due to the whole mishmash with the Telstra network.

On the hardware side, I'm now a big fan of the resurgent Nokia. Best update support you'll get on Android, due to the vast majority of their devices being part of the Android One program - they're essentially like Pixel phones with stock Android as Google intended. From the general release of the model, Android One devices get 2 years of major version updates and 3 years of security patches. Compare that to somebody like Samsung, whose midrange phones may never see an update or patch, and whose flagships tend to get things but only after an extended delay.

If security patches are important to you, which they should be, your choices are essentially:
  • iPhone, in all its over-$1,000 glory
  • Nokia
  • Xiaomis and Motorollas on Android One, though you'd be right to be leery of Chinese-owned companies for this sort of equipment
  • One-offs from other big manufacters that dip their toes into Android One (like LG did with its G7 One), before they inevitably beat a hasty retreat away from the program, presumably so they don't have to actually invest any resources in supporting software on these devices - most manufacturers love the whole 'dump a model into the market and never invest another dollar into it again' model of doing business.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Good insight into Telstra - thanks Sterlk!

I just got an iPhone 11 through Vodafone - the $5 a day overseas coverage that lets you use your data overseas, is what got me over the line. Not that I'm overseas that often, but I need to work when I am and it's too much of a time waster to go out buying Sim cards etc.

Last time I was in New York, Origin 3 was on. I'd grabbed a Sim Card with "Unlimited Data". Unbeknown to me and anyone else I was with, the Unlimited data did not apply to "Hot Spotting". 78th minute, we exceed our 10Gb hotspot limit and we lose a crucial minute figuring out what to do. Thankfully we caught the Tedesco try and all wasn't lost. That's the kind of rubbish I want to avoid.

And the phone itself is very good, as are the new AirPods with noise cancellation. Looking forward to seeing how they go on a flight. I'm also using them with my Sony TV - very easy to setup and excellent quality. Only issue is I keep dropping them, so I'm not sure how long they'll last!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

my parents are grey nomads, they have an optus and a boost phone, same model phones. They notice the optus coverage is more reliable unless they go a fair way inland

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

This feels like an appropriate time to give this thread another bump, since there are so many people at the moment whose jobs have been eradicated by COVID-19.

My view is that if you're paying more than $20-$30 a month for your phone plan (excluding handset repayments), you're probably getting ripped off big time and could save yourself a ton by switching to another provider (voracious data fiends excluded).

The 'plan' I'm on, you pay for a year upfront and get all the usual unlimited calls etc. The data included works out to be ~6.6GB a month, for $12.50 a month. Would meet the needs of a lot of people for far less than they're currently paying, I suspect.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's been a little over 3 years on the Samsung j5 and probably time for an upgrade. I'll probably stay with Samsung or try the pixel, but won't buy for a few months. Anybody using 5g and lived to tell the tale, or should I ask Bill Gates your opinion/s.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just bought a new iPhone 12 Pro Max. I love it already. Still have to get a 5g contract though. My iPhone 6S+ was an amazing phone, but after five years, battery fading and a few other problems, it was time to let it go.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I had an iPhone for work a few years back but they do some a little overpriced compared to other brands. My J5 could probably last a little longer but the battery goes pretty quick and not enough memory. I think it was only about $300ish so has gone okay.

Probably looking in the $500/600 range - but not keen on a Chinese phone.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The pixel 2 I had stopped fast charging and stop receiving security updates. I've just got a pixel 5. If you've used any of the pixel phones before it's more of the same just better everything as far as hardware. Screen and camera in particular are great.
I had a Galaxy 6 and from memory the Pixel is a pretty similar UI to that as long as you choose the bottom buttons interface (so it has a back button) when setting up.
No 5g contract as it's not in my area just yet. Will check it out again in a year.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I've got a Pixel 5 as well, I really love it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The pixel 5 may be a little above my budget but I'll keep an eye on specials over the next few months. If not I can just get the 4a.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:The pixel 2 I had stopped fast charging and stop receiving security updates. I've just got a pixel 5. If you've used any of the pixel phones before it's more of the same just better everything as far as hardware. Screen and camera in particular are great.
I had a Galaxy 6 and from memory the Pixel is a pretty similar UI to that as long as you choose the bottom buttons interface (so it has a back button) when setting up.
No 5g contract as it's not in my area just yet. Will check it out again in a year.
how does it stack up against the s21? I'm out of contract on my s10 and considering my options

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sterlk wrote:My view is that if you're paying more than $20-$30 a month for your phone plan (excluding handset repayments), you're probably getting ripped off big time and could save yourself a ton by switching to another provider (voracious data fiends excluded).

The 'plan' I'm on, you pay for a year upfront and get all the usual unlimited calls etc. The data included works out to be ~6.6GB a month, for $12.50 a month. Would meet the needs of a lot of people for far less than they're currently paying, I suspect.
Yeah I’m pretty happy with my Voda plan. $40 a month for unlimited calls etc and 12GB, which I’ve never gone over.

Finally got the 3 year repayment plan on my iPhone X paid off, so the bills gone down from $80 a month. Thinking about getting a new phone, but don’t want to pay crazy money for one

Nickman's love of NSW
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: January 30, 2021, 9:46 am
zim wrote:The pixel 2 I had stopped fast charging and stop receiving security updates. I've just got a pixel 5. If you've used any of the pixel phones before it's more of the same just better everything as far as hardware. Screen and camera in particular are great.
how does it stack up against the s21? I'm out of contract on my s10 and considering my options
I haven't used the s21, but if you go to the higher variants you're going to get a better phone. Pixel 5 was already pushing the budget for me.
I think with modern phones it's pretty hard to get a dud. Just depends on whether you like apples ideas or androids.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:
bonehead wrote: January 30, 2021, 9:46 am
I haven't used the s21, but if you go to the higher variants you're going to get a better phone. Pixel 5 was already pushing the budget for me.
I think with modern phones it's pretty hard to get a dud. Just depends on whether you like apples ideas or androids.
Yeah the pixel 5 is possibly above my budget as mentioned before but I guess you have to factor in buying the latest model may prolong the life and useability of the product. If I buy last season's model maybe I get a year less out of it? Is it worth saving $200 for older tech.

I don't generally break stuff so the $1000 price is $200 or $250 per year depending on how many years you get out of it. And we all generally use our phones a lot these days so it is a decent investment.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

If you want a pixel and cost is a sticking point and you're not in an area with 5g I'd get the pixel 4a.
Your contract will also be cheaper as getting one with 5g is an extra cost.
The 4a also is guaranteed security updates up to late 2023 similar to the 5.
You'd be saving $200 right off the bat. Just be aware at that price point your Samsung's might have better cameras. I haven't looked into it enough.
Last edited by zim on January 30, 2021, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Cameras heaps better in the S21. Rest of the phone is much of a muchness vs the pixel 5.

GPU is a bit better but unless you're doing high-end gaming or processing (which you'd normally use a PC for) then you won't notice

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 30, 2021, 10:43 am
Sterlk wrote:My view is that if you're paying more than $20-$30 a month for your phone plan (excluding handset repayments), you're probably getting ripped off big time and could save yourself a ton by switching to another provider (voracious data fiends excluded).

Yeah I’m pretty happy with my Voda plan. $40 a month for unlimited calls etc and 12GB, which I’ve never gone over.

Finally got the 3 year repayment plan on my iPhone X paid off, so the bills gone down from $80 a month. Thinking about getting a new phone, but don’t want to pay crazy money for one
I don't know why you'd be happy with that, it's not good value. Look at this, for instance:
https://catchconnect.com.au/home/left-image/product/30

Works out to be $10p/m for 10GB p/m. Literally a quarter of what you're paying now for a something almost the same. Extra $30 per 12mths in subsequent years, but that's nothing in comparison.

Regarding new phones, generally you're better off buying outright and getting a standalone value-for-money plan than you'd be if you pay off a handset monthly on a contract. The handset repayments generally work out to be less via a contract, but the phone plan component of the contract is sufficiently overpriced that it puts you behind. $10p/m plan +outright phone will be much cheaper than $40p/m plan + $40p/m handset repayments, for the exact same phone.

Whatever discount you get on the handset through a contract compared to outright, it won't be enough to overcome a $30p/m price difference on the plan itself.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I didn’t even know Catch did phone plans. Quick look around and the reviews are mixed, but I guess that’s the same with all phone companies.

Good thing about my current plan is it’s month-on-month now, so I’m not locked into anything

Nickman's love of NSW
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Not being locked in isn't a good reason to stay when you're getting charged overs. The one benefit is that you can leave and find something else of better value, and you don't get anything out of that benefit unless you actually do it.

If you don't like Catch, there are a squillion MNVOs offering infinitely better value than the big network-owners. The best value by far is in 365-day prepaid. $40p/m for 12GB p/m is an insult.

Even Optus of all places will give you 100GB over the course of a year for $150.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

my workplace throws $50- a month on my mobile so I'm happy to do 2yr contracts and have a reasonably up to date phone

Edrick The Entertainer