Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Health and fitness

Post by dubby »

Wasn't meant to be inflammatory. I admire those that enjoy it. It's just something i keep putting off!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Get out and do it

Set a goal distance and slowly work towards it

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I don't mind Fartlek

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Tore my ACL at touch footy a week ago.

Shocker of an injury, but in good hands with a surgeon who has plenty of State Cup players on his patient list.

Due for surgery in a couple of weeks, then 9+ months rehab/recovery.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Get well soon.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

good luck yeh

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote:Tore my ACL at touch footy a week ago.

Shocker of an injury, but in good hands with a surgeon who has plenty of State Cup players on his patient list.

Due for surgery in a couple of weeks, then 9+ months rehab/recovery.
Jesus, that sucks man. Hope you heal up well and quickly
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Thank you, good sirs.

Looking forward to running again !
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Workmate mentioned he was contemplating the Canberra Half in April and asked if I wanted to join him. Maybe I should commit to a race, I sure need to, to really get back into it. I've just had an annoying head cold, on and off, for about a month now - but really in the past I would have run through that, and actually felt better for it.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Ticked off my second full yesterday in Queenstown, much tougher course than my first with plenty of undulations and being 70% trail/off road, managed to come home in 3hrs 9, only a minute slower than my first but happy with that given the course etc.
Can hardly walk today! Seriously considering running 5km parkruns exclusively from here on :D
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Nice one kiwi, I have heard that’s a tough course, well done! Even parkruns feel daunting the day after :roflmao

I’ve got Western Sydney Ironman 70.3 this weekend. Didn’t have a great day out at my last longer course race a few weeks ago at Forster so I’m hoping for a solid one here.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

kiwi raider wrote:Ticked off my second full yesterday in Queenstown, much tougher course than my first with plenty of undulations and being 70% trail/off road, managed to come home in 3hrs 9, only a minute slower than my first but happy with that given the course etc.
Can hardly walk today! Seriously considering running 5km parkruns exclusively from here on :D
That's blistering!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Up at the crack of dawn for a last supper feed before the ACL surgery tomorrow afternoon. Opted for the typical hamstring graft, which should take the knee 9 months to heal completely and to be back playing at full speed.

The goal is to play State Cup in December 2020.

Lots of work to do before then so I’ll keep this thread updated with progress posts to hopefully help someone down the track who does a similar injury.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

yeh raiders wrote:Up at the crack of dawn for a last supper feed before the ACL surgery tomorrow afternoon. Opted for the typical hamstring graft, which should take the knee 9 months to heal completely and to be back playing at full speed.

Lots of work to do before then so I’ll keep this thread updated with progress posts to hopefully help someone down the track who does a similar injury.
Good luck
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Cheers Doc
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

yeh raiders wrote: November 19, 2019, 10:07 pm Up at the crack of dawn for a last supper feed before the ACL surgery tomorrow afternoon. Opted for the typical hamstring graft, which should take the knee 9 months to heal completely and to be back playing at full speed.

Good Luck mate
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Coastalraider wrote: November 20, 2019, 10:34 am
yeh raiders wrote: November 19, 2019, 10:07 pm Up at the crack of dawn for a last supper feed before the ACL surgery tomorrow afternoon. Opted for the typical hamstring graft, which should take the knee 9 months to heal completely and to be back playing at full speed.

Good Luck mate
Thanks CR !
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hope it all goes well for you, mate. I'd hate to not be able to run or play touch footy for 9 months. The hardest thing would be to not end up the size of a house!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Thanks mate. Played 17 years straight with no more than a subluxed shoulder and slightly pulled hammys. Was back playing within about 3 weeks of both.

Shoulder hasn’t completely recovered, I’ve torn something and have refused to get it properly looked at. But I can play with it without any discomfort, just have to be careful diving when diving.

I’m the opposite... I quickly started losing weight and the leg shrunk within a couple of days. Sickly.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

all the best YR

Edrick The Entertainer
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Thanks Boney.

Loads of swelling, but otherwise alive and kicking (with the other leg)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

good to hear

Edrick The Entertainer
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Alright first update, it’s midnight and I’m back in hospital following the discharge. There was excessive bleeding from one of the wounds, so will spend the night trying to get that under control.

When they removed the bandages, it looked like a Liver had been formed underneath. Lovely stuff.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Best of luck mate. Get well soon!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Thanks GE.

I must say, I’m very grateful to have a lot of support. Right now is far from life threatening and I’ll come through it fine.

I’ve probably had 2 or 3 genuinely really **** moments in my life and it really pays to have a good bunch of people around you especially as a bloke. I won’t dive into details about one of those occasions, because it was literally **** and the worst moment of my life, but on another occasion....

2019, I had a relationship break down mid year, after 6 years (3 living together), and it’s really funny and interesting to see the different ways that individual friends and family express their support. Each beneficial in different ways.

Parents opened their doors immediately.

One brother remodelled his life to hang out with me for a period of time. Even just sitting down to watch Seinfeld or coming fishing with me.

Other brother calling me daily from New York. Even though we probably already speak almost daily. It’s a big lonely place when you work 12 hr days and Sundays.

One mate was keen to hit the town and pick up some birds ASAP.

Another mate really concerned about my mental state, so we’d chat about that.

Another mate just really rational, sensible and understood it would be for the best.

Others were just keen to lend their time to help out and do activities to keep my mind off things. Probably not the right thread for it, but again if a post like this can help someone in any way, I know it’s worth typing.

Be there for people when they’re going through rough patches, put the effort in and earn it and you’ll get it back when the time comes.

Also in 2019, I took a flight from New York to LA and suffered severe vertigo on descent. Was at LAX unable to connect my flight to Sydney, throwing up in a massive taxi line with no where to go or sleep.

Also I wasn’t earning well for a period of time, due to quitting my corporate job and starting a consulting business. Don’t quit your job unless you have a decent amount of assets producing returns for you. Be it the business itself or other investments. I’d saved way more than enough and that was important.

Oh yeah, we also lost the grand final in devastating fashion. All Thanks to Ben Cummins!

2019, deadset write off by my typical life standards. I know people have it a heck of a lot worse than I do, but we know mental state is linked with self and societies expectations and there’s always going to be roadbumps. So If anyone wants to PM me at any point in time to chat about anything, feel free to do so. You’ll always get the time of day.

Anyway, next year I’m planning on moving to Manly, spending at least a month in New York and then watching the Raiders win the premiership.

Giddy up!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Oh bugger. Good luck with the recovery and don't rush it.

Hamstring graft???? I always thought doing an ACL meant you've torn the ligament and I always thought the hamstring was a muscle? Maybe Doc could explain this a little?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Thanks mate. it’s a hamstring tendon graft. Each hammy has multiple tendons so they cut a slice and thread that through where the ACL should be.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Jesus, what a year. Breakups are tough man, it can be a really horrible time. So good to see that you had so many people there for you, that’s really so important. Sometimes you can feel so alone even surrounded by people.

Looks like you’re coming out of the worst of it though, great to see. I’m always here if you need someone to chat too, just don’t run ANY of your ideas about rugby league by me :P
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

I appreciate that mate.

Haha you know the funny thing is, we probably agree on 95% of rugby league things - they’re just not mentioned or worth a debate. And If I was going to debate them, you and I both know the other Nick would do the heavy lifting ;)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: November 21, 2019, 8:50 am I appreciate that mate.

Haha you know the funny thing is, we probably agree on 95% of rugby league things - they’re just not mentioned or worth a debate. And If I was going to debate them, you and I both know the other Nick would do the heavy lifting ;)
If you mean by continually changing the goalposts and throwing strawmen around the place, yeah, he'll do the heavy lifting alright! ;)
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Haha yeah something like that
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Raceday!!!!!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Good luck
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

hope it went well Watanobbi

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

bonehead wrote: November 24, 2019, 12:08 pm hope it went well Watanobbi

Went bloody well thanks ‘necknock’ - 19 min PB over the half Ironman distance :thumbsup