Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Health and fitness

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:
dubby wrote:I personally can't stand running, have no interest in doing long distance as you lads do, but I do admire your dedication and discipline.

Like you gerg, my work isn't very fulfilling and I'm looking for something to dedicate myself to. I enjoy gym, and go regularly. I could do better of course, so much custard guts to remove.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
High intensity heavy lifting will get rid of the custard guts. Provided your diet is reasonable

I found when I was really into it, it made up for the lack of excitement in other facets of my life
Start of the year i was 94kg and gross. I went on a gym and fitness blitz, and in ten weeks was down to 86kg and looking good. That was all gym, hiit and clean diet. Routine was s huge thing too.

I'm starting again. I'm 90kg at the moment, and aiming for 84kg.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I’ve been working my way back from my knee issues over the last few weeks. I’ve been trying to run 3-4 times a week just short distances and I feel I am mostly past the issues.

So I finally ran ParkRun again. I set myself the goal of no kms over 8 minutes and achieved that. Got through the 5kms in 36:57 which was about 7 minutes better than my initial run and previous PB set at the start of November.

A great way to end the year.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

KingDynamite wrote: December 22, 2018, 11:26 am I’ve been working my way back from my knee issues over the last few weeks. I’ve been trying to run 3-4 times a week just short distances and I feel I am mostly past the issues.

So I finally ran ParkRun again. I set myself the goal of no kms over 8 minutes and achieved that. Got through the 5kms in 36:57 which was about 7 minutes better than my initial run and previous PB set at the start of November.

A great way to end the year.
Great work KD, so glad to hear your patience is paying off!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Lowest moment?
The week or so following a few weeks off in August/September for a holiday. I'd been going all right until that point, and despite it being a relatively physical holiday (camping and hiking), my fitness really dropped off. I put in my slowest time at parkrun, and was so disgusted with myself that I haven't been back.

Most rewarding moment?
Completing my goal of one race per month. Work is really busy and I often work ends so it was really challenging to stay fit and manage to fit an event in every month. In the week leading up to my last event, a 30km road race, I got Influenza. Despite people telling me not to run it, I did and completed my goal for the year. I was very proud.

Worst race?
An 11.5km trail run in the Gold Coast Hinterland. It was pretty hilly, and I'd only been back from NYC for 36h, was deconditioned, jetlagged and confused as to why I was actually there. It was my worst placing for the year.

Best Race?
My best placing was 3rd overall in the Kokoda Beach Half Marathon. Best race in terms of enjoyment was the Freedom Trail Run in the Byron Hinterland. Gutsiest run was the 30km road race in 30 degree heat with influenza.

Harshest lesson?
I'm getting older. I'm not at the level I was a bit fee years ago. When I take time off, I lose condition quicker and find it harder to get back. It's a slow decline.

What was your aim for 2018, did you achieve it?
I managed to complete one race longer than 10km per month. I achieved that. The reason for that undertaking was to provide motivation to stay fit throughout the year. I'm still in good shape, but my fitness declined throughout the year not improved.

What was your biggest learning?
I'm at an age now that if I take an extended break, the road back will be long and hard. I need to keep moving.

What is your aim for 2019?
I'll probably aim for an event a month again, with the an intention on improving fitness as well the year goes on. I'm entering the GC Kokoda Challenge as well.

Most hated training session?
The runs the two weeks before my 30km race. I it was hot and I wanted to give up and get the tram home. I lost about 4kg in fluid on both of them and felt unwell all day afterwards.

Most loved training session?
Early morning bootcamp sessions on the beach in summer, followed by a quick dip in the ocean.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Rick wrote:Just lost 10kg since the start of September. Still about another 10kg to go but delighted I am finally seeing some results.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Nice one mate feels good when you can see the results congrats

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

What a difference 12 months can makeImage

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Brewdle wrote: January 1, 2019, 12:53 pm What a difference 12 months can makeImage

Holy crap brewdle, that’s amazing! Well done mate!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah well done brewdle. Amazing effort

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Brewdle wrote:What a difference 12 months can makeImage

That is freaking unbelievable. You should be very proud of yourself. Well done!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

That is out of this world.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Cheers fellas

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Brewdle wrote:What a difference 12 months can makeImage

Legend effort man! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Thanks Rick

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

That would've taken a lot of commitment Brewdle, well done!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Wow mate, that's incredible

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

What the ****. Congrats Brewdle. Very impressive!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Thanks Dubs n EJ

KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

@Brewdle wow mate!

That’s amazing! Well done!
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Cheers King, one of the coolest thing is being able to go to gigs n buy merchandise !

Just worked out it’s 10 sizes, gone from worrying bout where to go next cause the biggest we get is 9xl to just comfortably dragging a XL pair of shorts one of my kids bought at some store called Parliament

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Brewdle wrote:Cheers King, one of the coolest thing is being able to go to gigs n buy merchandise ! Image

Just worked out it’s 10 sizes, gone from worrying bout where to go next cause the biggest we get is 9xl to just comfortably dragging a XL pair of shorts one of my kids bought at some store called Parliament

Great stuff mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Thanks Boney, trying to inspire a 2019 premiership

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

So brewdle, what was the system you used to drop the weight? Mainly dietary or a combo with excersize?
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Hey CR, I left the public service! Owning the cafe helps get my 10,000 steps a day happening. I only eat between 3pm and 10pm each day, smaller portions, more veg n salad and only rarely hit up a takeaway, and when I do I don’t upsize. I still drink far too many beers and do my bourbon with water.

I didn’t actually make a decision to diet, and still don’t think I’m dieting, I just adjusted my life style to be more conscious of what’s going in the pie hole. I don’t count calories but do try to find the better option e.g Big Head beer is 0 carbs but full strength, XXXX Summer Ale is about 80 carbs a can (but $20 cheaper a case than Big Head). I like to make my burger day a good one, so if I’m not somewhere I can get a good one I don’t go the Maccas option, just miss burger day that week (burger day is generally a Monday when the cafe is closed)

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sounds great. Still enjoying food but just a few tweaks. That's the way dieting (for want of a better word) should be.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Saw you are back on the bike Greg, hows it feeling??
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Set some goals for this year:

Bench press: 1 rep max 100kg
Chin ups: 15
Deadlift: 1 rep max 200kg
Squats: 3 rep max 120kg

Honestly, bench will probably be the hardest, have a lingering tendon issue with my left elbow, but it is coming better
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

That's impressive deadlifts reppy. My back would blow out. Physio and chiro HATE deadlifts.

I can do that on bench (yes elbow lets me know about it)

My best on squats was 3 sets of 10 @ 140kg. Pretty proud of that

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Physio and chiro?

a) physios hate chiros so I'm not sure how you're getting away going to both
b) my physio actively encourages deadlifts as they're one of the best whole body exercises you can do
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:Physio and chiro?

b) my physio actively encourages deadlifts as they're one of the best whole body exercises you can do
That's because a significant number of chiros are quacks who believe in a completely implausible theory and spout **** all day long.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:Saw you are back on the bike Greg, hows it feeling??
Did 40k when it was probably a little too hot and didn't carry enough water. Knee felt pretty good though. I'm going for a lap of stromlo this w/e which should be fun. I had planned on doing a little running over the Christmas break but another few months can't hurt (waistline excepted).

What are your goals this year? You pushing for Kona?

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So I've started training for the Kokoda Gold Coast Challenge in July. It's a 96km endurance event, done in teams of 4 through the Gold Coast Hinterland. Median time is 28 hours. Did one of the training routes last weekend and thought that it was pretty hilly. Got home and looked at the elevation profile of the whole course. The part I ran was a couple of little bumps with 5 massive climbs dwarfing it. Going to be running up a lot of hills in the next 6 months.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:That's impressive deadlifts reppy. My back would blow out. Physio and chiro HATE deadlifts.

I can do that on bench (yes elbow lets me know about it)

My best on squats was 3 sets of 10 @ 140kg. Pretty proud of that

Deadlifts are my best lift, that'll probably be the easiest of the goals to get.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:Physio and chiro?

Justine isn't against all chiropractors. She actually acknowledges that they can play a part in a healthy spine. She strongly opposes their "must see me regularly for maintenance" agenda though.

They hate ME doing deadlifts because I keep bloody hurting myself whilst doing them.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:She strongly opposes their "must see me regularly for maintenance" agenda though.
That's because it's horse ****. Chiropractic is a profession founded on the business model and philosophy of a conman. It's underlying basis goes against everything that we know about the human body and apart from the use of manipulation in lower back pain (which a physio can do), there isn't a skerrick of evidence for anything that they do. They are woo merchants who promote themselves as an alternative to your family GP, a hot bed of anti-vaxxers who promote unnecessary and at times dangerous treatments. Apart from "wholistic GPs" they are literally the worst. The good chiros essentially practice physiotherapy.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Doc may have an opinion? But I was told that Osteopaths are a good alternative to chiros.