Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: August 13, 2020, 11:35 pm After putting 5 solid months together and being in best shape I've been in since 2017, I had a stress fracture in my shin so didn't run for 6 weeks.

I've been running a little bit for about a month again now and though it's not pain, I'm feeling some pressure in the same spot on the same shin again.

So not sure. Prob will just keep running until it becomes pain again Image

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Ah man.... that really sucks. Im always freaked out by injuries. If there is one bonus to this whole covid thing and events being cancelled its that it has allowed a few extra months to take my time working up to silly run km tallys. Im fairly confident I would have been underdone in May.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm thinking that I'll pull the pin on UTA. They've given a partial out. Too much uncertainty about borders and that could change the day of the race. I've lost motivation.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 14, 2020, 2:08 pm I'm thinking that I'll pull the pin on UTA. They've given a partial out. Too much uncertainty about borders and that could change the day of the race. I've lost motivation.
Fair enough too.

I have a feeling that by offering all interstate and internationals a way out they are trying to reduce number to a point where they don’t require an exemption, or if they do it’s pretty close to the 500 per event anyway. Then it would just come down to scheduling to minimise the overlap of races.

I really want this to go ahead. It’s been the light at the end of the tunnel, and I’ve put a lot into trying to get ready. Totally understand if it doesn’t though.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 14, 2020, 2:08 pm I'm thinking that I'll pull the pin on UTA. They've given a partial out. Too much uncertainty about borders and that could change the day of the race. I've lost motivation.
Fair enough too.

I have a feeling that by offering all interstate and internationals a way out they are trying to reduce number to a point where they don’t require an exemption, or if they do it’s pretty close to the 500 per event anyway. Then it would just come down to scheduling to minimise the overlap of races.

I really want this to go ahead. It’s been the light at the end of the tunnel, and I’ve put a lot into trying to get ready. Totally understand if it doesn’t though.
They got absolutely slammed on social media for suggesting that they were applying for an exemption.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:I'm thinking that I'll pull the pin on UTA. They've given a partial out. Too much uncertainty about borders and that could change the day of the race. I've lost motivation.
Which distance were you planning to do?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:I'm thinking that I'll pull the pin on UTA. They've given a partial out. Too much uncertainty about borders and that could change the day of the race. I've lost motivation.
Which distance were you planning to do?

100km Image
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Crikey. There's no winging it with that distance. You're either committed or your admitted.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:Crikey. There's no winging it with that distance. You're either committed or your admitted.

Yeah and thats the problem. My life's pretty busy. I need the stress of an impending event to motivate me to train. In the back of my head I've just always assumed that it won't be happening, at least for people from outside of NSW (like me) and therefore I've not been as prepared as I could. I could still be ready for it I think, but I've kind of lost interest.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 15, 2020, 10:47 am
gergreg wrote:Crikey. There's no winging it with that distance. You're either committed or your admitted.

Yeah and thats the problem. My life's pretty busy. I need the stress of an impending event to motivate me to train. In the back of my head I've just always assumed that it won't be happening, at least for people from outside of NSW (like me) and therefore I've not been as prepared as I could. I could still be ready for it I think, but I've kind of lost interest.
Mate it sounds like you have enough on your plate.

Roll it over until next year and take a weight off your mind.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I just drank a 6 of Asahi 500ml cans. So seems like we've all got something to be proud of.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

So I had my first post covid race yesterday! 21k trail race in Port Macquarie.. great times.

And in other news, I think Im doing my first Ultra this weekend... I was entered for a 25K race but Im likely to upgrade to do the 60k event... given eh big question marks around UTA I really want to get an ultra done with the amount of training Ive done to prep.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Oh yeah def do the 60km. What's the elevation like?

I just looked at your half trail race. Nice time for trail and elevation

Did you have to run with mask on???

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: August 24, 2020, 6:03 pm Oh yeah def do the 60km. What's the elevation like?

I just looked at your half trail race. Nice time for trail and elevation Image

Did you have to run with mask on???

Everyone had to wear a mask until the gun went, then straight back on once you had past the finish. All ok on course though. It’s a pretty simple thing to do for the sake of having a race!

This weekend is confirmed now, ready to go on Saturday. 2400m elevation over the 60k so very similar ratio to UTA.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Oh wow, yeah that's no walk in the park. I'd be well and truly done at 30km in current condition.

Goodluck!

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

UTA officially canned
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 5, 2020, 9:19 am UTA officially canned
Yep. Couldn’t get any response from government in regards to an exemption to have a couple of thousand people run in the bush.

Meanwhile the same government is in discussion with the nrl to have 50,000 people sit in a stadium on the same weekend as UTA.

Makes sense.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:
Yep. Couldn’t get any response from government in regards to an exemption to have a couple of thousand people run in the bush.

Meanwhile the same government is in discussion with the nrl to have 50,000 people sit in a stadium on the same weekend as UTA.

Makes sense.
That's very disappointing. Hope the Canberra running festival goes ahead in November. Maybe you could come down and run the marathon?

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: September 6, 2020, 12:02 am
Coastalraider wrote:

Makes sense.
That's very disappointing. Hope the Canberra running festival goes ahead in November. Maybe you could come down and run the marathon?

I’m currently entered in another 60k in November, and depending on border/hotspot restrictions potentially racing the guzzler 100 in qld.

But if there’s one thing I’m learning, grab every opportunity that comes up, and rely on nothing.

I’m glad I did my first ultra last week, but still pissed at the way UTA was eventually cancelled. Not just for racing, but it means that the big sponsor we got for that event has their deal rolled to next year, so we don’t get a second crack at revenue next year.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I wouldn't bet on the Guzzler CR. The Queensland Premier has decided that senseless border policies are her ticket to re-election.

Likewise, no chance of me going to the Canberra Running Festival. Canberra is teeming with the Rona according to the Queensland Government, and is a declared hotspot.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 6, 2020, 7:57 am I wouldn't bet on the Guzzler CR. The Queensland Premier has decided that senseless border policies are her ticket to re-election.

Likewise, no chance of me going to the Canberra Running Festival. Canberra is teeming with the Rona according to the Queensland Government, and is a declared hotspot.
I’m not super confident, but it sounds like the pm is putting the pressure on her and attempting to base restrictions on hotspots rather than hard borders by Christmas. If that happens to be in November, then great. If not, we will have to hire locals to put on our sponsor stuff at that event and I’ll do the Summit Shoalhaven event instead.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Prostate awareness month chaps, get the psa and keep your chances of early detection the best you can.
I got all clear, no history in the family either but still get tested annually.

Waiting to have a few moles removed, 1 changed to black, biopsy wasn't 100% clear so off they come.

Thyroid and saliva glands swollen, feel like I'm choking half the day so that's the next thing to work out.

Didn't go to the doctor for a lot of years in my 30s but on the catchup now

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Getting old is not fun..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

The Stromlo 50k is a good, manageable ultra that is going ahead in November I'm pretty sure. It's very undulating but total elevation gain is only about 1km. Good one to get a "fast" ultra in under the belt.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: September 8, 2020, 10:24 am The Stromlo 50k is a good, manageable ultra that is going ahead in November I'm pretty sure. It's very undulating but total elevation gain is only about 1km. Good one to get a "fast" ultra in under the belt.

Interesting....
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:The Stromlo 50k is a good, manageable ultra that is going ahead in November I'm pretty sure. It's very undulating but total elevation gain is only about 1km. Good one to get a "fast" ultra in under the belt.

Sounds good. I like undulating.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm thinking about re-assessing the distance for Canberra running festival. I did a 21 on Sunday and a 28 the Sunday before. Much prefer the 21. I don't feel like garbage the following day and it is just a much more enjoyable distance. So maybe I'll just do the half instead.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Canberra running festival postponed again. I don't know how many runners had registered but it's odd that 3,000 spectators can go to watch the football but can't run around the lake. I wouldn't expect there would be 3,000 participants?

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Not sure where to put it but congratulations to Ritchie Porte for a podium finish in the tour. Fantastic accomplishment.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

It was a great TT from him.

Just think what could have been if he kept it ‘rubber down’ when he was at his peak.

Glad he finally got a podium, that was his last chance. He’s changing teams and signed a domestique contract for next year.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 6, 2020, 7:57 am I wouldn't bet on the Guzzler CR. The Queensland Premier has decided that senseless border policies are her ticket to re-election.

Doc, what are your thoughts on borders by November? With SA opening up (I managed to travel down there over the weekend for work) and nsw seemingly having cleaned up community transmission, I would have thought real pressure would now be being applied to the premier as there is now no medical reason behind border lockdowns, and it will have to be seen as a blatantly political move to keep borders firm?

I believe qld have their meetings around 10 days from end of month, to implement changes from the 1st of the month... like they have now with their weird ‘border region’ bubble, which seems to be based on the fact ‘they are close to qld’ rather than any medical basis.

I’d imagine that once the school holiday rush is over mid month, the reality of an open border would be a priority??
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Cancel that, announcement today that November 1 is the day if we keep ourselves clean.

7 days and counting.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Cancel that, announcement today that November 1 is the day if we keep ourselves clean.

7 days and counting.
A day after the election. Coincidence I'm sure.

The average Queensland punter is too lazy to look at what is happening in NSW. The Premier tells them that covid is uncontained in NSW, they imagine the bodies piling up in the Tweed and thank the Premier for keeping them safe. Meanwhile thousands of people's health, livelihoods and mental well-being are sacrificed for the Premier's political gain.

It's both disappointing and appalling how the virus has become politicised over the past few months.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 2, 2020, 7:37 pm
Coastalraider wrote:Cancel that, announcement today that November 1 is the day if we keep ourselves clean.

7 days and counting.
A day after the election. Coincidence I'm sure.

The average Queensland punter is too lazy to look at what is happening in NSW. The Premier tells them that covid is uncontained in NSW, they imagine the bodies piling up in the Tweed and thank the Premier for keeping them safe. Meanwhile thousands of people's health, livelihoods and mental well-being are sacrificed for the Premier's political gain.

It's both disappointing and appalling how the virus has become politicised over the past few months.
I did a little googling yesterday, and I’m genuinely shocked that Frecklington isn’t even talking about it. There’s a ton of business and families that would benefit from an opening but she isn’t pushing that point. Madness seeing as her PM and fellow party members pushing the agenda and she isn’t.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

She's taken pot shots at the exemptions that have been approved and not approved, but not a lot else at the moment.

Really depressing choices coming up at the State election
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2020, 6:33 am She's taken pot shots at the exemptions that have been approved and not approved, but not a lot else at the moment.

Really depressing choices coming up at the State election
What can you tell me about Guzzler vs UTA?

Hotter, humid?

Less stairs more hills??