Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

EJ
David Furner

Re: Health and fitness

Post by EJ »

Hmm, 10km loop is tough, especially right now with parts still closed off. One I have in mind is running from Scenic World to Solitary Restaurant via Cliff Dr. Then directly opposite the restaurant is a few fairly inconspicuous steps down to Prince Henry Cliff Walk. Turn right onto that and then a quick left onto Fern Bower Track. Descend steeply till the stairs finish (just shy of 1000 steps) and continue right to take you onto Federal Pass. Take that all the way to Furber Steps and take them back up to Scenic World.

Obviously a fair bit of climbing in that. But it's kinda doing some of the very start of UTA 100 and also the very end of it.

If you don't want to do that much climbing few days out for the race then maybe head to Glenraphael Dr and take the fire trail along Narrowneck and turn back when you hit 5km. You can either also start at Scenic World or drive to Glenraphael and park at the start of it. Either way you'll definite pass the top entrance to Golden Stairs. Golden Stairs and Narrowneck are part of the first 20km of UTA.

If these interest you let me know and I can make the routes on a map to make them clearer.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: February 29, 2020, 12:12 am Hmm, 10km loop is tough, especially right now with parts still closed off. One I have in mind is running from Scenic World to Solitary Restaurant via Cliff Dr. Then directly opposite the restaurant is a few fairly inconspicuous steps down to Prince Henry Cliff Walk. Turn right onto that and then a quick left onto Fern Bower Track. Descend steeply till the stairs finish (just shy of 1000 steps) and continue right to take you onto Federal Pass. Take that all the way to Furber Steps and take them back up to Scenic World.

Obviously a fair bit of climbing in that. But it's kinda doing some of the very start of UTA 100 and also the very end of it.

If you don't want to do that much climbing few days out for the race then maybe head to Glenraphael Dr and take the fire trail along Narrowneck and turn back when you hit 5km. You can either also start at Scenic World or drive to Glenraphael and park at the start of it. Either way you'll definite pass the top entrance to Golden Stairs. Golden Stairs and Narrowneck are part of the first 20km of UTA.

If these interest you let me know and I can make the routes on a map to make them clearer.
Mate that’s steps option sounds perfect, while that’s tough I think it would be better fast walking some steps with tired legs than trying to do any pace work. Also gives me a good reflection of UTA stairs to try and replicate in the central coast for training.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

lol dunno if that makes it more confusing or not
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: March 2, 2020, 1:43 am lol dunno if that makes it more confusing or not
Perfect mate, thanks for taking the time!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Great tip EJ, had an awesome little run around that loop this morning. Legs were pretty heavy after Husky on the weekend, but good to get on course and get a taste!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Now just imagine Furber Steps in your 99th km

Good work on following the trail though!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: March 3, 2020, 11:23 pm Now just imagine Furber Steps in your 99th km

Good work on following the trail though!
I was actually pleasantly surprised. The Steps do get broken up a little with some flat section in between, I thought it would just be one continuous set of stairs from bottom to top.

I may be crawling by that point in May though :roflmao
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well, I just finished my entry. 100k it is.

Bloody hell, my heart rate just hit 200 at my desk......
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Godspeed

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Did this little hike today ImageImage
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 6, 2020, 9:49 am Did this little hike today ImageImage
That looks absolutely amazing....
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Whoa. Which of Jupiter's moons is that

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just catching up on Strava. What happened at Husky mate? Everything ok?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: March 7, 2020, 3:46 pm Just catching up on Strava. What happened at Husky mate? Everything ok?

Yeah much better now I know what went wrong.

At 80k on the bike I came out of a hairpin and jumped on the pedals to get a run on a couple of guys and my vision went all blurry and I started struggling to keep the bike in a line. Dropped the pace off massively and it started slowly coming back. Rolled most of the way back into town and sat down in transition, figured my wife and kids were at the 1k mark of the run so would jog out there and see what happened. I started feeling better and vision came back, but whenever I pushed I started getting lightheaded, so I walked a section, recovered and felt better again. Got to the end ok, ate a heap of watermelon and actually felt really fresh.

After spending Monday morning checking data, crunching numbers on electrolytes etc, I was checking my main drink bottle for holes and I noticed the drink straw was shifting inside the bottle every time I unclipped it from its tether. What was happening during the race was that every time I lifted the straw for a drink, the pickup shifted, so when I sucked air and ‘thought’ I had finished a 900ml bottle, I had ‘actually’ only had 400ml. Because I was getting my salts and carbs from a different nutrition bottle I hadn’t ‘bonked’ and the legs always felt good, but by that 80k Mark I had lost approx 4kg of fluid weight, and only replaced it with 1.2L so I had a big fluid dehydration issue. As soon as I dropped intensity I felt better.

Pretty spooky stuff though to be honest, and I’m bloody glad I figured it out, as I was starting to worry it was something a bit more serious.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Goddamn. Def scary stuff man. The things we do for fun. Glad you're ok.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Canberra running festival postponed until August.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I suspect UTA will be postponed. I'm going to be in no shape for it anyway after my 3 week holiday and 2 weeks of enforced isolation.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 16, 2020, 1:16 am I suspect UTA will be postponed. I'm going to be in no shape for it anyway after my 3 week holiday and 2 weeks of enforced isolation.
Decisions should be coming tomorrow mate, the decision makers have been in Mooloolaba running 5000 people through a triathlon with 11,000 spectators.

Kind of makes 1,500 people running through the bush look insignificant.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I expect it to be rescheduled or delayed
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Interestingly one of the other fairly major RDs in Aus has actually waited until today to see what the actual 'advice' is that came out, rather than jumping quickly on Friday.

The advice refers to 'static gatherings', specifically indoors and static meaning people sitting/standing in close proximity for long periods of time.

They are waiting to receive policies in writing from Aus gov and Triathlon Australia before cancelling anything.

Bloody good to see some calm about it all - events that jumped out on Friday cancelling events in June were VERY hasty.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

So two weeks ago I signed up to do Rocky River Run, the 10km version, thinking it was in July like last year and thinking I had four months to go from 5km to 10km. Turns out it's in May, oh ****, I've only got two months.

So the last few weeks I've seriously upped my training to the point I punched out a solid 7km this morning, I'm feeling good about it, been increasing my distance rapidly, albeit my time was a bit slower than where I want to be at 42:30.

And now Rocky River Run has been cancelled for obvious reasons.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Also the Sydney Trail series has just announced they will be continuing this month doe to it being outdoor, not static and the risk of coming in contact with 500 pax with wave starts is NIL.

Good to see - lets see if Ironman take a breath and look at their options - they have a few weeks before it becomes a crucial decision.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: March 16, 2020, 1:21 pm Also the Sydney Trail series has just announced they will be continuing this month doe to it being outdoor, not static and the risk of coming in contact with 500 pax with wave starts is NIL.

Good to see - lets see if Ironman take a breath and look at their options - they have a few weeks before it becomes a crucial decision.
I think anything beyond this weekend is still a pretty big chance of being called off.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2020, 2:06 pm
Coastalraider wrote: March 16, 2020, 1:21 pm Also the Sydney Trail series has just announced they will be continuing this month doe to it being outdoor, not static and the risk of coming in contact with 500 pax with wave starts is NIL.

I think anything beyond this weekend is still a pretty big chance of being called off.
Yep, big chance, but its as much from 'following the leader' as it is form actually taking a full assessment of risk and comparing it to the advice form govt. Bloody parkruns were cancelled in some places on saturday - meanwhile its ok to head to the shopping centre where a few thousand people have been shopping all day. Its ok to jump on a train to work.

I have my father in laws 60th this weekend - 150+ people with a mean age of 60ish in a conference room in an RSL. Im WAAAAAYYYY more concerned about that situation than going on a trail run with 500 fit healthy people where my 1:1 exposure is limited to a start line.

But only 1 of those events is actually advised against.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Up The Buff trail run on the GC has been postponed
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Hmm if UTA is postponed rather than cancelled, I may not count myself out just yet.

I'm getting confused though. I keep thinking other races have been cancelled due to the virus but then rememeber they got cancelled because of the damage from the fires. Rough few months we've had.

Next weekends Melbourne Spartan postponed.

The one that really hurts from a viewer perspective is London Marathon getting postponed till October. Next month was supposed to be the epic showdown between the marathon GOAT, Kipchoge, and the running GOAT, Bekele. The world record was as likely to fall as any other time. It was likely someone would have to set a new world record just to win. Sads.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Guys, everything in the next two to three months is going to be cancelled. I've already resigned myself to the fact that this week's games of touch are the last ones I'll be playing in a while and Parkrun won't be going ahead again for a long time.

If it's not cancelled now, it'll be gone by next week.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

UTA not going ahead.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Postponed though not cancelled

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: March 17, 2020, 11:53 am Postponed though not cancelled

Yep, I’ll hear pretty early I think the new proposed date as they will be trying to keep the sponsors happy.

Now for some new goals..... I’m thinking of running the Great North Walk over a few weekends...
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Ooooh, that sounds a bit exciting. Is your wife going to "crew" for you on these runs? Since the route is A to B rather than a circuit like UTA. Never done GNW but I think it seems deceptively tougher than it looks on paper. Friends made a team for the 50km last year and they were a wreck after just that.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote:

Yep, I’ll hear pretty early I think the new proposed date as they will be trying to keep the sponsors happy.

Now for some new goals..... I’m thinking of running the Great North Walk over a few weekends...
Do as many runs as you can in the next ten days big fella. I fear after that we may all be spending extended periods in our house, only being allowed out to shop or seek medical treatment.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: March 18, 2020, 6:06 am
Coastalraider wrote:

Do as many runs as you can in the next ten days big fella. I fear after that we may all be spending extended periods in our house, only being allowed out to shop or seek medical treatment.
Lucky I can train at home, I’ve got virtual bike and a treadmill set up in the man cave. Last weekend I did 45k on the treadmill while my wife was in bed sick - technically I was looking after the kids.....
#baddad
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

45km on a treadmill? Dear god, I'd rather the virus.

I can't see myself stopping running to be honest.