Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gerg »

Good luck kiwi. I did the NYC half and there was snow everywhere. Was pretty good for running except the freezing cold, strong headwind for the last 8k. Have a great run and enjoy the experience as best you can.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: June 1, 2019, 6:33 pm
EJ wrote: June 1, 2019, 6:03 pm Goodluck, kiwi!

Hope the body is feeling fresh and you've got your nutrition sorted. Wet road won't be good but 8C is a great running temp really. Hope you've got a throwaway warm top for the start line.

Keen to hear how you go!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
thanks EJ feeling fresh maybe too fresh as i haven't run since last sunday as wanted to give my knee every chance of coming right, feels good at the moment but time will tell... yea temperature doesn't worry me even though the forecasted 4C for start time will be a bit chilly its the wind that will be the main thing that could make it a bit tougher, but hey these things are never easy are they? will definitely try and stay rugged up until start time
Good luck Kiwi, enjoy the experience (as much as you can enjoy a marathon!) Remember, 30km is the real halfway point, make sure you save some for the back end.

Enjoy!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: June 1, 2019, 7:23 pm

Hope the body is feeling fresh and you've got your nutrition sorted. Wet road won't be good but 8C is a great running temp really. Hope you've got a throwaway warm top for the start line.

Keen to hear how you go!

thanks EJ feeling fresh maybe too fresh as i haven't run since last sunday as wanted to give my knee every chance of coming right, feels good at the moment but time will tell... yea temperature doesn't worry me even though the forecasted 4C for start time will be a bit chilly its the wind that will be the main thing that could make it a bit tougher, but hey these things are never easy are they? will definitely try and stay rugged up until start time
Good luck Kiwi, enjoy the experience (as much as you can enjoy a marathon!) Remember, 30km is the real halfway point, make sure you save some for the back end.

Enjoy!
cheers coastal, should really be getting an early night....
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: June 1, 2019, 8:31 pm
Coastalraider wrote: June 1, 2019, 7:23 pm

Keen to hear how you go!

Enjoy!
cheers coastal, should really be getting an early night....
I reckon watching the footy before a race is great to give you something else to focus on - but I hadn’t considered the time zone for you!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Can’t find a tracker online for Kiwi today, will have to wait for results!

Run well mate.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

He’s smashednout a 3.08!!!

Well done Kiwi, looking forward to you jumping in and letting us know how it was for you!

I’m inspired - I’m going to smash out a bike race...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Health and fitness

Post by The Nickman »

Another parkrun PB on the weekend by a few seconds, I was worried I wouldn’t be able to beat the one I set in Brisbane last week because our course is a lot harder, but I just scraped in

Here’s my last ten if you lads are interested

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't see any improvement..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: June 2, 2019, 1:38 pm Another parkrun PB on the weekend by a few seconds, I was worried I wouldn’t be able to beat the one I set in Brisbane last week because our course is a lot harder, but I just scraped in

Here’s my last ten if you lads are interested

Nice progression mate! Are you you getting a bit of confidence now there is a steady improvement?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I’m just finding running really easy now, so I’m getting through the runs without too much trouble. In the past I used to spend the whole race just hoping I’d die.

I started intermittent fasting about six months ago and it’s made a massive difference to the amount of energy I have

I’ve been this weight before but never this fit
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: June 2, 2019, 2:18 pm I’m just finding running really easy now, so I’m getting through the runs without too much trouble. In the past I used to spend the whole race just hoping I’d die.

I started intermittent fasting about six months ago and it’s made a massive difference to the amount of energy I have

What are you tipping the scales at Rickhead ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Coastalraider wrote:He’s smashednout a 3.08!!!

Well done Kiwi, looking forward to you jumping in and letting us know how it was for you!

I’m inspired - I’m going to smash out a bike race...
3:08! That's 4:27 pace, hahaha, wow!

Super impressive, Kiwi, well done!

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Now that's shoving it in our faces, just as I expected. Well done Kiwi.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Health and fitness

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:
The Rickman wrote: June 2, 2019, 2:18 pm I’m just finding running really easy now, so I’m getting through the runs without too much trouble. In the past I used to spend the whole race just hoping I’d die.

What are you tipping the scales at Rickhead ?
I’m about 85kg right now, down from about 94kg at the end of last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Cheers guys pretty happy with 3.08 in fairly average conditions, cold wet, windy and a fair bit of flooding on the course but in a weird kind of way quite fun/enjoyable too.
Felt pretty good for the first 35 km did the first half in what felt like a comfortable 1.33 but the last couple of kms were quite tough, Certainly looked forward to a hot shower afterwards and then a couple of beers over a late lunch went down extremely well.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Wow thats blistering kiwi
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

kiwi raider wrote:Cheers guys pretty happy with 3.08 in fairly average conditions, cold wet, windy and a fair bit of flooding on the course but in a weird kind of way quite fun/enjoyable too.
Felt pretty good for the first 35 km did the first half in what felt like a comfortable 1.33 but the last couple of kms were quite tough, Certainly looked forward to a hot shower afterwards and then a couple of beers over a late lunch went down extremely well.
That’s amazing work mate, well done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: May 23, 2019, 8:59 am My PB is from Canberra 2015. It's definitely more hilly than Sydney, especially the last few years with some course changes - it's a very flat course now.

Yeah my half PB was at Sydney. It's pretty much the second half of the marathon course. Getting onto the bridge at the very start is the steepest section. Most of the rest is right along the water so flat as a tack.

Are you up for an enduro this weekend EJ?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Yep, and I've been sick all week!

Should've taken time off work earlier in the week but I'm an idiot. Finally made the decision at 11am yesterday to take the rest of the day off and ended up crashing for 7 hours as soon as I got home. Had another 5 hours over night and so feel better for it this morning but still not 100%

I'll still race, but I think I better be smart and listen to my body (trouble will be determining what's reality and what's my mind being a sook). I have plans for a distance PB, so really hope I wake up tomorrow feel good.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I ran 7km the other morning for the first time in my life. Set myself the simple task of 6min a split and got in quite easily in about 41:10. Felt like I could've easily kept going too.

I'm really enjoying this newfound abundance of energy.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: June 7, 2019, 6:46 am Yep, and I've been sick all week!

Should've taken time off work earlier in the week but I'm an idiot. Finally made the decision at 11am yesterday to take the rest of the day off and ended up crashing for 7 hours as soon as I got home. Had another 5 hours over night and so feel better for it this morning but still not 100%

I'll still race, but I think I better be smart and listen to my body (trouble will be determining what's reality and what's my mind being a sook). I have plans for a distance PB, so really hope I wake up tomorrow feel good.

That’s rough mate. Do you have the ability to measure HR? That’s the best way to measure effort when you are sick, as you might feel fairy good but your HR is skyrocketing due to the illness, meaning you will crash later.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: June 7, 2019, 9:58 am I ran 7km the other morning for the first time in my life. Set myself the simple task of 6min a split and got in quite easily in about 41:10. Felt like I could've easily kept going too.

That’s awesome mate, I love It when you get in a good groove with running. It isn’t always the case!! I had a cracking run on Tuesday, did an ‘easy run’, lower pace and effort- longest run since Ironman, and punched out my fastest km of the run on km 20 just as I got back to the car. The second hour of the run I had a storm front chasing me around the lake, I got in the car and it started to deluge - just made it!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: June 7, 2019, 9:58 am I ran 7km the other morning for the first time in my life. Set myself the simple task of 6min a split and got in quite easily in about 41:10. Felt like I could've easily kept going too.

That’s awesome mate, I love It when you get in a good groove with running. It isn’t always the case!! I had a cracking run on Tuesday, did an ‘easy run’, lower pace and effort- longest run since Ironman, and punched out my fastest km of the run on km 20 just as I got back to the car. The second hour of the run I had a storm front chasing me around the lake, I got in the car and it started to deluge - just made it!
Yeah, it’s a fantastic feeling just being able to run... and run... and run

I’m not even sure how far I could run now if I tried, but wanna aim for 8km on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

How was it mate?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Coastalraider wrote:

How was it mate?
Ah. It was a fantastic event as usual. This year was easily the most stacked field in its history. Some of the very top OCR athletes in the world came which was awesome.

Two Aussies still came first and second in the men's, including new course record for our now 5 time winner. 174km and 450 obstacles in under 24 hours! So that was fantastic for Australia.

Foreigners clean sweeped the podium in the women's though. Sweden, South Africa and USA respectively. I don't think any of our girls made top 10 actually. Those top 3 were amazing though, completing 140km and 360 obstacles each.

Unfortunately for me I think I was truly still not 100% from being sick. Muscles in my legs started hurting only 10km in and after about 40km I started feeling exhausted despite travelling very conservatively. I took a really long break after I finished that lap thinking maybe legs just needed to recover a bit and I needed to down more solids and different sources of nutrition.

That next lap my time blew out by an extra half hour and my already fairly slow trot felt like it slowed further to a shuffle. I made the decision to call it after 70km which was about 14 hours into the race.

Something else that factored in my decision was I was urinating a worrying amount. For first 4 laps I was emptying a busting bladder each lap, then for 5th and 6th that turned into three, all busting point. Was definitely urinating more than I was drinking by that point. Whenever I've started urinating a lot in the past it doesn't last for 14 hours and definitely doesn't keep getting worse after so long.

So I don't feel too bad pulling out. But now I have a pretty poor strike rate for 24 hour races now lol. Only completed 2/5 now. It's getting a bit embarrassing.

Next one, Åre, Sweden in November! Come at me!

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Got the results of MRI today. Turns out I have arthritis in my lh shoulder. No more pushups or bench press.
Not sure what to make of this. See the GP tomorrow for more information

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

dubby wrote: June 18, 2019, 1:07 pm Got the results of MRI today. Turns out I have arthritis in my lh shoulder. No more pushups or bench press.
Not sure what to make of this. See the GP tomorrow for more information

Time to get yourself a bike mate!
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bicycles are boring

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ann Landers is a boring old biddy.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

What was I laughing about? Oh yes, the crippled Irishman!

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

dubby wrote: June 18, 2019, 5:45 pm Bicycles are boring

You must not be riding it right :D
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m down in Tassie for work at the moment, and had a bloody amazing trail run through Cataract Gorge this afternoon - magnificent part of the world.

Cold down here though, -3 or 4 tonight, the trail was already icing up at 4pm.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Smashed out this little beauty with my team today ImageImage
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

That elevation looks like fun.