Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Health and fitness

Post by dubby »

Program I'm doing now is more for shredding up. I hate that term, but it's basically building muscle while burning fat. Lots of supersets and a tri set for shoulders. Burns like a bugger!

I've lost only about 3kg in 3 weeks, not really seeing much difference. I am gaining fitness, eating healthy and sleeping better though.

I had my cholesterol checked a few weeks ago - 5.6.

While not terrible, it's too high. Sugar level was an even 5. With diabetes and heart disease in the family, it's a reminder to make some healthy life decisions.

My mum died last year at 59 from lung cancer (smoker).

Her dad died at 63 (smoker, diabetes, had a heart attack at 61).

I dont smoke, but genetics is genetics and I dont want an early grave.

Can I encourage all of you to please take good care of yourselves.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Did your parents smoke until they passed away Dub? My parents both quit in their late 30s/early 40s. Both are in their early 70s now and ok health wise for their age.
Quitting smoking, 5/6 years ago was one of the toughest things I've done but I'm so glad I did.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: February 5, 2018, 5:53 pm What's everyone up to???
some massive efforts from a lot of you guys in here over the last few months , we’ll done all. I just had my first event of the year yesterday (Buller gorge marathon)so a bit sore today , pretty much matched my time from last year so fairly happy as had a bit of an annoying cold/flu come on a couple of days prior to the run. First 10km felt great doing it in under 41mins but then really struggled for 3/4km, came home in 1 hr 29 and 26th overall in the half
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

That's still very quick mate, especially with a cold leading in!

I've got a long course triathlon coming up this weekend, feeling pretty good and had some good effort sessions, so will be looking for around 5.30 total time.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

gergreg wrote:Did your parents smoke until they passed away Dub? My parents both quit in their late 30s/early 40s. Both are in their early 70s now and ok health wise for their age.
Quitting smoking, 5/6 years ago was one of the toughest things I've done but I'm so glad I did.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Mum kept smoking. My grandfather was on and off, mostly off.

They were both heavy drinkers too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: February 11, 2018, 12:00 pm That's still very quick mate, especially with a cold leading in!

I've got a long course triathlon coming up this weekend, feeling pretty good and had some good effort sessions, so will be looking for around 5.30 total time.
Yea it wasn’t much of a cold not sure if or how much it really effected me, probably bugger all. Good luck with the tri. 5.30 hours! I’d be dead in half that!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well, I had a great weekend away racing at Jarvis Bay!

Wind calmed down for a beautiful race start at 7am for the 2km (Garmin read 2.4) swim leg. Check out the video below:
https://www.facebook.com/TriathlonNewSo ... 831992164/

Was happy with my swim, was swimming with the tail end of the pack for the first time, so the extra Ks in the pool are starting to pay off.
Bike leg was a lot slower than I had expected, very hard to get into a rhythm with the course having very few flat sections. It was a 3 lap 84k course, which I was pacing to effort - after checking data last night I was amazed that each of my laps were within a 5 second bracket! Lap 1- 53min:12sec, lap 2 - 53:17, lap3 - 53:14. Pretty amazed with the consistency to be honest.
Came off the bike feeling good, and ran my best 20k off the bike to date, which was also my second best 20k time ever. Was about 33* on the run, so was starting to get quite hot, but they had aid stations every 2k or so, so ran with ice in my cap for most of the run to control temp.

Was aiming for a best case scenario of 5 hours 30 min, and finished with a 5:29:10.

Only 10 weeks to ironman - it's getting very real now.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

back to wherei was pre shoulder surgery. Down 8kg since xmas.
Swimming reasonably pain free not with any great speed though. Slowly slowly building strength and muscle again.
My right arm is stronger than ever from the compensating with the left a very gradual process.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's a solid effort, 8kg in 6 weeks
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I've just enrolled in the March charge which raises money for cancer research. I've put a target for 120 kms for the month and a fundraising target of 999 million dollars (it wouldn't let me do 1 billion). If anybody wants to donate I'll add a link to this thread - if GE allows it? I have a good mate in about the 6th week of undergoing chemo. He's a Manly fan but - I know it's hard to believe - he is a good bloke and loves his footy.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: February 27, 2018, 7:30 pm I've just enrolled in the March charge which raises money for cancer research. I've put a target for 120 kms for the month and a fundraising target of 999 million dollars (it wouldn't let me do 1 billion). If anybody wants to donate I'll add a link to this thread - if GE allows it? I have a good mate in about the 6th week of undergoing chemo. He's a Manly fan but - I know it's hard to believe - he is a good bloke and loves his footy.
Great cause - would happily put a little something towards it if we get access to the link.

You would be getting pretty close to 30k a week at the moment wouldn't you?? How is the iPod helping?? I got a set of Trekz Titanium skull conducting headphones last year - game changer. You can listen to music while riding and everything, but because they dont fit in your ears( they send the music through your cheekbones), you can still hear all the ambient noise like traffic. Good for running as well, because you can hear bikes coming from behind you!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I had about a 40k week last week but hurt my back overdoing it with a different pair of shoes. I should have remembered to slowly build distance in them instead of smashing out a 12k run. Halfway home my calves were really sore. I should have jumped on the bus but I jogged home in a more upright position and my back has taken almost a week to feel normal again, but the knees a bit sore. I'll do this March fundraiser and maybe crosstrain more.
Here is a link if anybody would like to make a small donation to a worthy cause.

https://www.themarchcharge.com.au/fundr ... e-run-2018
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Oh music. Yeah loving it. I bought some Bluetooth headphones and a speaker and it's fantastic.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

How did you go at 6foot track today EJ??
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

For the ****, inconsistent training I've done all year, pretty good!

I'm in a bit better shape than I thought, but we were very lucky with the weather. It was 13C and raining at the starting line. It stayed cool and overcast nearly the whole race. So that helped big time.

5:42 finish time, which placed me about 516th 🤣

But I'm happy with that time. Anything under 6 hours I wouldve been satisfied with.

Nice course. Some very long and unexpected climbs. A surprisingly furious downhill finish. Seriously,after more than 44km I was kind of taken aback by how fast everyone was charging for the finish line so I thought I'd join in and hope my legs held up. They did and I'm sure I was clocking about 4:30 pace at the very end. Great adrenaline rush towards a very loud finish chute crowd. It was awesome.

1:20 bus ride back to Katoomba standing up sucked! Harder than the actual race.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: March 11, 2018, 5:11 pm For the ****, inconsistent training I've done all year, pretty good!

I'm in a bit better shape than I thought, but we were very lucky with the weather. It was 13C and raining at the starting line. It stayed cool and overcast nearly the whole race. So that helped big time.

But I'm happy with that time. Anything under 6 hours I wouldve been satisfied with.

Nice course. Some very long and unexpected climbs. A surprisingly furious downhill finish. Seriously,after more than 44km I was kind of taken aback by how fast everyone was charging for the finish line so I thought I'd join in and hope my legs held up. They did and I'm sure I was clocking about 4:30 pace at the very end. Great adrenaline rush towards a very loud finish chute crowd. It was awesome.

Sounds like a great event!

What's next? Don't you have a spartan coming up?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: February 28, 2018, 8:21 pm I had about a 40k week last week but hurt my back overdoing it with a different pair of shoes. I should have remembered to slowly build distance in them instead of smashing out a 12k run. Halfway home my calves were really sore. I should have jumped on the bus but I jogged home in a more upright position and my back has taken almost a week to feel normal again, but the knees a bit sore. I'll do this March fundraiser and maybe crosstrain more.
Here is a link if anybody would like to make a small donation to a worthy cause.

https://www.themarchcharge.com.au/fundr ... e-run-2018
How's the challenge coming along?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's been really tough. Hurting my knee on about the last day of February was really bad and without this challenge I probably would have rested for 3 weeks, maybe even more. So I've battled through about 90km so far. Not quite as much as I hoped but just hoping I'm not doing any serious damage. April will be a rest month.

How is your training going?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Coastalraider wrote:
EJ wrote: March 11, 2018, 5:11 pm For the ****, inconsistent training I've done all year, pretty good!

Sounds like a great event!

What's next? Don't you have a spartan coming up?
Yes, this weekend. Do my race then do the shorter course with a team from work later in the day.

Thinking of doing the Sparta (Greece) weekend in November. Mixed with some trail running in Crete. Just told us the Ultra is in Iceland again so don't want to repeat that. Was hanging out for Norway or Finland. So maybe Greece!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Gergreg - great to hear your still punching, are you on target for your Ks?? Hopefully you're not doing damage, but the month is nearly over, so not long to go now. Your pace looks pretty good still?

Training is going really well, I've just finished a big block which was pretty hard, I haven't done that much solid continuous training before. I'm in that period now where if I'm not working, I'm training or sleeping. Everything else is taking a backseat now, including time with family for a few weeks, which is hard but was always necessary for this part. 6 weeks to go though, so this is the most intense period. I'm resting up this week to rebuild a bit, then one more big block leading up to the taper. I needed a break, I actually fell asleep in the pool last week... lucky it was a snorkel drill!

EJ, good luck for this weekend, I'm sure you'll smash it. I reckon your mentality will change massively after doing Iceland, this would feel like a sprint!
I read a book not long ago about Crete during WW2 written by Christopher McDougall who wrote 'Born to Run'. Man, Crete sounds bloody intense for running, it sounds like the only part that isn't a mountain is the airstrip!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Taking a light week in the middle of weeks of hard training is very wise. Glad to hear training is going well and you're happy with it.

Yeah, I've heard about that book. WWII messengers traveling 100 miles+. Crazy stuff.

I won't do great this weekend.I tried to have a big last 10 days for last ditch fitness and conditioning grab. It went pretty well, but I did have to cut my last 3 runs short, which has almost never happened in the past. Iceland was a completely different beast.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The book is a bit disjointed, but not a bad read. Born to Run was better. I read quite a lot, so am always looking for endurance based books for motivation!

Good luck for the weekend regardless EJ, they can all be winners, but you can set a different goal and still have a great day!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I did enjoy Born to Run, but it also felt like a big ad for Vibram, which put me off a bit.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: March 22, 2018, 6:24 pm I did enjoy Born to Run, but it also felt like a big ad for Vibram, which put me off a bit.
Yeah once you get over the fact there is an obvious agenda it's a good story! Scott Jureks book has a more balanced account of the copper canyon trip.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Thanks for the donation Coastal. It's not easy fundraising these days so thank you.

I hit my 120km target last week so I'm resting now. Been a week since I've run and it's still a little tender. Another few weeks rest I guess.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: March 28, 2018, 5:44 pm Thanks for the donation Coastal. It's not easy fundraising these days so thank you.

I hit my 120km target last week so I'm resting now. Been a week since I've run and it's still a little tender. Another few weeks rest I guess.
No dramas at all, its a great cause.

Rest up for a few weeks and then get back into training - its heading into run season, so make sure you are 100% heading onto winter, choose a target race and go like hell!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: March 22, 2018, 6:24 pm I did enjoy Born to Run, but it also felt like a big ad for Vibram, which put me off a bit.

How did you go at Spartan??
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well, its Ironman week.

All the hard work is done now, I'm tapering off and loading up for the weekend. Aiming for sub 13 hours, but its hard to predict anything that goes for that long, as there is so much room for error.

Really happy with how the last 6-8 months of training has gone, started peaking in training a couple of weeks ago at around 25 hours a week including yoga recovery sessions. Did a 7 hour ride to the Souths game and actually felt really fresh during the game and afterwards, so things are looking good.

Now it time to see if this thing is actually possible!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Mate, enjoy this week! I hear of people getting restless and frustrated during taper, I have no such problems, I look forward to it.

25 hours is ridiculous! That's so much :lol: I think at my peak I was exercising maybe 12-13 hours per week. For most of this year it's been more like 3 or 4. This week I'm looking at 8-10. 25 hours is crazy.

Good luck, mate. Definitely keen to hear your thoughts on it all, not just what time you finish in.
Coastalraider wrote: April 11, 2018, 12:55 pm How did you go at Spartan??
Sorry mate, didn't see this post. I went fairly well. Finished 34th, which is my best ranking in Sydney but it was also the weakest field I've seen in Sydney.

I've been upping my training recently but my runs have been telling on my fitness status. Did my big trail run on Sunday and I was pretty much exactly an hour slower than my PB. I'll do it again this Sunday and will be hoping for an improvement.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Well, its Ironman week.

All the hard work is done now, I'm tapering off and loading up for the weekend. Aiming for sub 13 hours, but its hard to predict anything that goes for that long, as there is so much room for error.

Really happy with how the last 6-8 months of training has gone, started peaking in training a couple of weeks ago at around 25 hours a week including yoga recovery sessions. Did a 7 hour ride to the Souths game and actually felt really fresh during the game and afterwards, so things are looking good.

Now it time to see if this thing is actually possible!
Good luck!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Good luck Coastal. Ambitious time but sounds like you have put the work in. Is it on Saturday or Sunday?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Thanks for the comments guys, it should be a great experience! I quite like the taper week as well, I get to eat a bit heavier than during training blocks to carb load, and the training I do is SO easy this week!

Feeing pretty good mentally, I know the course from the 70.3 last year, and I went up a few weeks ago to ride and run the loops again to refresh. I stopped at all the hard bits and played some fun happy music, or called the family to chat to my kids etc just to try and set up triggers for the big hills or exposed areas on the marathon course to try to help on race day.

Race is on Sunday greg, so will go up Friday for check in and briefing, bike racking in transition Saturday, race day Sunday. I will get all my gear Monday morning and I've got a couple of weeks off to recover. Will see how myself and the kids are coping on Monday, but want to head straight to the south coast and get some beach time!

If your interested, you can follow the race with this app- Ironman Oceania by Mobee Event Apps
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ironman ... 44266?mt=8
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

App is only IOS and I checked out another tracker and it didn't seem to have Port Macquarie on it. I'll have a look around the IM website on Sunday morning. What time is your swim start?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Should be 7.15 rolling start mate. The timing is definitely on the website as well.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Hope you've had a good start, Coastal! Good luck.