Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Sid »

That’s unreal, well done Coastal!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Hell of an effort, congrats coastal
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Coastal, you don't seem to be having much of a rest post Ironman? Just keeping it rolling? That's impressive. How has training felt since the race?

Kiwi, when is your marathon again? How is training going?

I think I'm going to go for a marathon PB at Sydney in September. It'll be 4.5 years since I set mine in Canberra. I know I can do quite a bit better and after my 2017 shorter distance PBs (City2Surf and half marathon), my marathon PB doesn't really stack up anymore.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Trainings a fair bit lighter than before, but yeah trying to get in a keep it consistent again. It’s very heavy and laboured at the moment, physically and mentally, most of my sessions are a bit slower or shorter than planned, but it’s all part of recovering and doing what’s possible.

Not sure what the Canberra marathon course is like, but I’ve have heard the Sydney course called a lot of things, but a PB course isn’t one of them! You did the half last year or the year before right?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

My PB is from Canberra 2015. It's definitely more hilly than Sydney, especially the last few years with some course changes - it's a very flat course now.

Yeah my half PB was at Sydney. It's pretty much the second half of the marathon course. Getting onto the bridge at the very start is the steepest section. Most of the rest is right along the water so flat as a tack.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Yeah the the short hills around the 30km mark are the make or break point of that run - you have a good flow from Centennial to the city, then you hit Darling harbour and a couple of hills, and you find out what shape you are REALLY in :roflmao
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastal, just catching up, you're a beast - congrats
Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

bonehead wrote: May 23, 2019, 10:25 am Coastal, just catching up, you're a beast - congrats
Thanks boney - its a big day out.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

EJ wrote: May 22, 2019, 11:24 pm Coastal, you don't seem to be having much of a rest post Ironman? Just keeping it rolling? That's impressive. How has training felt since the race?

I think I'm going to go for a marathon PB at Sydney in September. It'll be 4.5 years since I set mine in Canberra. I know I can do quite a bit better and after my 2017 shorter distance PBs (City2Surf and half marathon), my marathon PB doesn't really stack up anymore.
Hi Ej marathon is just over a week away (2nd June), training had been going good until a couple of weeks back, struggling with some knee pain since (probably stupidly on my behalf) going out and running a 42Km training run. From a quick bit of googling it looks like IBT syndrome pain on the outside of the knee, common when runners increase mileage to quickly, have still been able to get through a few lighter runs the last two weeks and will probably only run once more this sunday before the event, hopefully it settles down with a full weeks rest heading in
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: May 24, 2019, 7:24 am
EJ wrote: May 22, 2019, 11:24 pm Coastal, you don't seem to be having much of a rest post Ironman? Just keeping it rolling? That's impressive. How has training felt since the race?

Hi Ej marathon is just over a week away (2nd June), training had been going good until a couple of weeks back, struggling with some knee pain since (probably stupidly on my behalf) going out and running a 42Km training run. From a quick bit of googling it looks like IBT syndrome pain on the outside of the knee, common when runners increase mileage to quickly, have still been able to get through a few lighter runs the last two weeks and will probably only run once more this sunday before the event, hopefully it settles down with a full weeks rest heading in
HI Kiwi, there are heaps of good stretching and yoga moves to help out with ITB pain, as well as rolling f you aren't already doing them I always have VERY tight ITBs especially lower down, as the repetition for the cycling movement really targets that.

I was doing probably 3 hours of yoga a week in the last block of IM training, you cant increase load without increasing recovery.

Let me know if you want some links.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 12, 2019, 5:01 am So I've started training for the Kokoda Gold Coast Challenge in July. It's a 96km endurance event, done in teams of 4 through the Gold Coast Hinterland. Median time is 28 hours. Did one of the training routes last weekend and thought that it was pretty hilly. Got home and looked at the elevation profile of the whole course. The part I ran was a couple of little bumps with 5 massive climbs dwarfing it. Going to be running up a lot of hills in the next 6 months.
Are you still on track for this Doc??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I ran 6km the other morning for the first time in my life. Was just doing a normal 5km run and felt really good so did the extra km. I've been running now for a few years, but it's only the last two months that I all of a sudden find it easy. In the past, even though I could run 5km in sub-30 minutes, it still really, really hurt and I hated it. Now... it's just easy. Hard to explain. Hoping to push out to 8km probably Monday morning.

I know this is nothing compared to some of the amazing feats you blokes can accomplish, but I'm quietly chuffed.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: May 24, 2019, 11:40 am I ran 6km the other morning for the first time in my life. Was just doing a normal 5km run and felt really good so did the extra km. I've been running now for a few years, but it's only the last two months that I all of a sudden find it easy. In the past, even though I could run 5km in sub-30 minutes, it still really, really hurt and I hated it. Now... it's just easy. Hard to explain. Hoping to push out to 8km probably Monday morning.

I know this is nothing compared to some of the amazing feats you blokes can accomplish, but I'm quietly chuffed.
I was wondering how your running was coming along - thats great news!

You should look into local fun run events in your area to give yourself a target - I find thats the easiest way to get yourself out and training. Your up north aren't you??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: May 24, 2019, 11:51 am
The Rickman wrote: May 24, 2019, 11:40 am I ran 6km the other morning for the first time in my life. Was just doing a normal 5km run and felt really good so did the extra km. I've been running now for a few years, but it's only the last two months that I all of a sudden find it easy. In the past, even though I could run 5km in sub-30 minutes, it still really, really hurt and I hated it. Now... it's just easy. Hard to explain. Hoping to push out to 8km probably Monday morning.

You should look into local fun run events in your area to give yourself a target - I find thats the easiest way to get yourself out and training. Your up north aren't you??
Yeah, up in Rocky. I do Parkrun every Saturday (have done it once in Townsville and twice in Brisbane too), and am doing Rocky River Run in a few months (will be my second time), so I get out and about a bit.

Doing Parkrun in Brisbane three weeks ago now I took a really bad spill though, must've just shuffled my right foot going over a raised bit coming down the pedestrian bridge and went down hard on both palms and one knee on bitumen. Really nasty injury, took most of the skin off my right hand and it's only now starting to heal. I'd post a photo but it was really gruesome stuff and I don't want that coming up in people's previews in Tapatalk.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: May 24, 2019, 8:29 am

HI Kiwi, there are heaps of good stretching and yoga moves to help out with ITB pain, as well as rolling f you aren't already doing them I always have VERY tight ITBs especially lower down, as the repetition for the cycling movement really targets that.

I was doing probably 3 hours of yoga a week in the last block of IM training, you cant increase load without increasing recovery.

Hi coastal some links would be great, have been doing a bit of stretching and rolling
But always good to see/hear what works first hand
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: May 24, 2019, 11:54 am

Yeah, up in Rocky. I do Parkrun every Saturday (have done it once in Townsville and twice in Brisbane too), and am doing Rocky River Run in a few months (will be my second time), so I get out and about a bit.

Doing Parkrun in Brisbane three weeks ago now I took a really bad spill though, must've just shuffled my right foot going over a raised bit coming down the pedestrian bridge and went down hard on both palms and one knee on bitumen. Really nasty injury, took most of the skin off my right hand and it's only now starting to heal. I'd post a photo but it was really gruesome stuff and I don't want that coming up in people's previews in Tapatalk.
Ooooff - sounds nasty.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: May 24, 2019, 12:35 pm

Hi coastal some links would be great, have been doing a bit of stretching and rolling
Check this one out - its a yoga page with a heap of different videos I use. There are some weird hippy ones in there, but there are some really really good deep stretch session (my favourite is about 45 minutes) and some really targeted stuff - pre and post run for example. My go to is the cycling on, about 25 minutes but really good at loosening up everything around the hips for running as well. Most of its done on a mat, so you dont have to try and balance on one foot or anything crazy after a long run :D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFKE7W ... 5q283SxchA
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: May 24, 2019, 12:56 pm

Ooooff - sounds nasty.
Yup, I had to abandon the race at the 1km mark and then run 2km back to my hotel, bleeding profusely out of my right hand and knee and also bleeding out of left.

Got to the hotel and I was currently doing a PB over 3km! (I didn't have a chance to get my phone out and turn off mapmyrun haha)
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Rickman wrote: May 24, 2019, 2:17 pm
Coastalraider wrote: May 24, 2019, 12:56 pm

Ooooff - sounds nasty.
Yup, I had to abandon the race at the 1km mark and then run 2km back to my hotel, bleeding profusely out of my right hand and knee and also bleeding out of left.

Got to the hotel and I was currently doing a PB over 3km! (I didn't have a chance to get my phone out and turn off mapmyrun haha)
Ha ha - I remember I was out on a night run a while ago and there was a small group of dodgy looking boys by the path. I was on alert, looking for exits in case I needed them, but I remember having the thought that 'I better make sure my Garmin is on, this could get fast!" :roflmao
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It happened so sudden too, I dive a lot in touch footy, so I'm quite used to it. But on this occasion I just tripped, went down to my hands and back up to my feet literally within seconds and kept running. People around me were like "are you alright?" and I was responding "yeah, yeah, I'm fine"... and I look down and my hand is just covered in blood and I'm thinking "oh crap, I'm NOT fine here!"
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: May 24, 2019, 12:59 pm
kiwi raider wrote: May 24, 2019, 12:35 pm

Check this one out - its a yoga page with a heap of different videos I use. There are some weird hippy ones in there, but there are some really really good deep stretch session (my favourite is about 45 minutes) and some really targeted stuff - pre and post run for example. My go to is the cycling on, about 25 minutes but really good at loosening up everything around the hips for running as well. Most of its done on a mat, so you dont have to try and balance on one foot or anything crazy after a long run :D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFKE7W ... 5q283SxchA
Cheers!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So we’re in Brisbane this weekend for my fiancé’s birthday and I’m just about to head to South Bank for Parkrun... returning to the scene of the crime exactly three weeks later!

I think I have a mild form of PTSD too, I’m dreading going over the bridge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Rickman wrote: May 25, 2019, 6:00 am So we’re in Brisbane this weekend for my fiancé’s birthday and I’m just about to head to South Bank for Parkrun... returning to the scene of the crime exactly three weeks later!

I think I have a mild form of PTSD too, I’m dreading going over the bridge!

Imagine how the bridge will feel when it sees you lumbering towards it
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Just set another PB. That’s three in six weeks and one serious injury

Not a bad ratio really

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Awesome Nick, I hit up parkrun for the first time in a while this morning too - bloody hell it hurt, I haven’t really done anything fast for months with the Ironman training, I broke my 5sec, 30sec, 1min, 5min, 10min and 20min Heart rate records... topped out at 193bpm....
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

The Rickman wrote:I ran 6km the other morning for the first time in my life. Was just doing a normal 5km run and felt really good so did the extra km. I've been running now for a few years, but it's only the last two months that I all of a sudden find it easy. In the past, even though I could run 5km in sub-30 minutes, it still really, really hurt and I hated it. Now... it's just easy. Hard to explain. Hoping to push out to 8km probably Monday morning.

This is what I think of when what you just experienced happens

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I felt like I very recently just broke through to the other side with my running but it all kinda came to a halt last Sunday when my legs simply stopped firing properly on a long run in the mountains. I had to walk an incline I almost always run and it was really tough from there.

Then Thursday night I purposely set out for a long road run at a slow pace. I did just that but my legs were completely wrecked by the end, I think still very much fatigued from that Sunday run.

The purpose of running intentionally slow was so I would hopefully feel fresh for tomorrow's run. My legs still significantly fatigued right now so I'm expecting another tough grind tomorrow

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: May 25, 2019, 11:36 pm I felt like I very recently just broke through to the other side with my running but it all kinda came to a halt last Sunday when my legs simply stopped firing properly on a long run in the mountains. I had to walk an incline I almost always run and it was really tough from there.

Then Thursday night I purposely set out for a long road run at a slow pace. I did just that but my legs were completely wrecked by the end, I think still very much fatigued from that Sunday run.

The purpose of running intentionally slow was so I would hopefully feel fresh for tomorrow's run. My legs still significantly fatigued right now so I'm expecting another tough grind tomorrow Image

On the assumption it’s not just the load you are doing that’s holding you back, I used the following as a rough guide through the last block of big training.

We need to monitor our pace to Heart Rate - If our pace drops quickly for a given HR then we are low in Carbs, if it gradually drops (say 2sec/km) over 10km then we need more hydration - if we are asking 'what the hell am I doing here' - we need more caffeine.

That’s from my coach, and the only bit I would add is that for me, the lack of carbs is that feeling of the legs being ‘hollow’ that you don’t know why when you push off it feels empty. With the hydration piece, that’s obviously with sodium as well.

Have you ever done a basic hydration loss test? Do a dry weigh in just prior to a long run, and as soon as you get back. Take off he weight of any hydration you used during this session and you will be left with a litre/kg per hour sweat rate. You never want to go under 5% loss of total body weight as that when you start losing big performance. I was blown away by how much I actually needed - turns out on a long run I need about 350ml every 5k.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: May 25, 2019, 11:36 pm I felt like I very recently just broke through to the other side with my running but it all kinda came to a halt last Sunday when my legs simply stopped firing properly on a long run in the mountains. I had to walk an incline I almost always run and it was really tough from there.

The purpose of running intentionally slow was so I would hopefully feel fresh for tomorrow's run. My legs still significantly fatigued right now so I'm expecting another tough grind tomorrow Image

How was your run on the weekend EJ?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Coastalraider wrote:

On the assumption it’s not just the load you are doing that’s holding you back, I used the following as a rough guide through the last block of big training.

We need to monitor our pace to Heart Rate - If our pace drops quickly for a given HR then we are low in Carbs, if it gradually drops (say 2sec/km) over 10km then we need more hydration - if we are asking 'what the hell am I doing here' - we need more caffeine.

That’s from my coach, and the only bit I would add is that for me, the lack of carbs is that feeling of the legs being ‘hollow’ that you don’t know why when you push off it feels empty. With the hydration piece, that’s obviously with sodium as well.

Have you ever done a basic hydration loss test? Do a dry weigh in just prior to a long run, and as soon as you get back. Take off he weight of any hydration you used during this session and you will be left with a litre/kg per hour sweat rate. You never want to go under 5% loss of total body weight as that when you start losing big performance. I was blown away by how much I actually needed - turns out on a long run I need about 350ml every 5k.
That's interesting man. I think I was having a hard time because I was chewing off a lot and my legs weren't ready for it. Which was a good time to do it. After that post my legs started responding a bit better, recovery time seemed faster etc.

I don't have scales to weigh myself and by the time I get home from my big runs I've drunk about a litre of water and eaten stuff anyway. I thought I drank a lot of water but it would be way under 350mL per 5km on road runs. Maybe half that rate.

Last Sunday's trail run was slower but I felt a lot better in that last hour than previous week.

Short road run Thursday was pretty fast and easy. Feel pretty good. Now it's just taper stuff this week.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I cramp when I read this thread..

But I'm impressed with some individual drive plus results from you blokes...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Big day tomorrow for the Christchurch Marathon, weather far from ideal with over 60mm of rain today and freezing cold southerly winds and snow fairly low down around Canterbury, tomorrow looks better but still forecasting some rain and a high of 8 degrees , I'm already looking forward to the finish line and a hot shower following the run!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Goodluck, kiwi!

Hope the body is feeling fresh and you've got your nutrition sorted. Wet road won't be good but 8C is a great running temp really. Hope you've got a throwaway warm top for the start line.

Keen to hear how you go!

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

EJ wrote: June 1, 2019, 6:03 pm Goodluck, kiwi!

Hope the body is feeling fresh and you've got your nutrition sorted. Wet road won't be good but 8C is a great running temp really. Hope you've got a throwaway warm top for the start line.

Keen to hear how you go!

thanks EJ feeling fresh maybe too fresh as i haven't run since last sunday as wanted to give my knee every chance of coming right, feels good at the moment but time will tell... yea temperature doesn't worry me even though the forecasted 4C for start time will be a bit chilly its the wind that will be the main thing that could make it a bit tougher, but hey these things are never easy are they? will definitely try and stay rugged up until start time
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Anyone doing much gym work atm? Or mostly running?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk