Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
3
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
18
36%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
13
26%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
14
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
2
4%
 
Total votes: 50

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »


Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2020, 6:33 am She's taken pot shots at the exemptions that have been approved and not approved, but not a lot else at the moment.

Really depressing choices coming up at the State election
What can you tell me about Guzzler vs UTA?

Hotter, humid?

Less stairs more hills??
Mate I haven't done either. Sorry. It will be, without a shadow of a doubt, hotter and more humid.
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2827
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2020, 3:06 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2020, 6:33 am She's taken pot shots at the exemptions that have been approved and not approved, but not a lot else at the moment.

Really depressing choices coming up at the State election
What can you tell me about Guzzler vs UTA?

Hotter, humid?

Less stairs more hills??
Mate I haven't done either. Sorry. It will be, without a shadow of a doubt, hotter and more humid.
Borders are open Doc. I’ll be there Friday!
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2020, 3:06 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2020, 6:33 am She's taken pot shots at the exemptions that have been approved and not approved, but not a lot else at the moment.

Really depressing choices coming up at the State election
What can you tell me about Guzzler vs UTA?

Hotter, humid?

Less stairs more hills??
Mate I haven't done either. Sorry. It will be, without a shadow of a doubt, hotter and more humid.
Borders are open Doc. I’ll be there Friday!
Is it next weekend?

It's been unseasonably cool. By that I mean mid to high 20s and not as humid as ****
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2827
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 30, 2020, 6:54 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2020, 3:06 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2020, 6:33 am She's taken pot shots at the exemptions that have been approved and not approved, but not a lot else at the moment.

Really depressing choices coming up at the State election
What can you tell me about Guzzler vs UTA?

Hotter, humid?

Less stairs more hills??
Mate I haven't done either. Sorry. It will be, without a shadow of a doubt, hotter and more humid.
Borders are open Doc. I’ll be there Friday!
Is it next weekend?

It's been unseasonably cool. By that I mean mid to high 20s and not as humid as ****
Current forecast for race day is 29° and 10-20mm rain.

Doesn’t get much crazier than that!
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 30, 2020, 6:54 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2020, 3:06 pm
Coastalraider wrote: What can you tell me about Guzzler vs UTA?

Hotter, humid?

Less stairs more hills??
Mate I haven't done either. Sorry. It will be, without a shadow of a doubt, hotter and more humid.
Borders are open Doc. I’ll be there Friday!
Is it next weekend?

It's been unseasonably cool. By that I mean mid to high 20s and not as humid as ****
Current forecast for race day is 29° and 10-20mm rain.

Doesn’t get much crazier than that!
What does that mean! I can't imagine what that will be like to run in.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Dew Point is the key.

Humidity is relative to temperature. Dew Point is absolute. The higher the dew point, the more uncomfortable it is to exercise. This article explains it well.

"Why the Dew Point is Way Better Than Humidity for Runners – PowerPacing.Run" https://www.powerpacing.run/dew-point/

I went for a 10km trail run at 530 this morning. Dew Point was about 17C. It felt relatively comfortable, although I was tanking the last 3km. Think that was due to increased exercise this week combined with intermittent fasting, rather than conditions.

Over summer, SE QLD tends to have a dew point of 22-24C. After 730-800 it becomes disgustingly uncomfortable to do any exercise.

No idea what effect rain has on dew point.Image
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2827
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Thanks mate, that’s a good article. DP for the friday is 18, not sure in Saturday yet, but doesn’t seem too horrific at all.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Thanks mate, that’s a good article. DP for the friday is 18, not sure in Saturday yet, but doesn’t seem too horrific at all.
That will be very comfortable for this time of year
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

In contrast, DP is often around 10C in Canberra over summer. I love going for runs in the morning when I get down there for Xmas.
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2827
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

It’s on for tomorrow.

100k.
User avatar
gergreg
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9309
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gergreg »

Wow. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:It’s on for tomorrow.

100k.
Good luck mate. Beautiful day for it. Run fast, it might be a bit uncomfortable in the middle of the day
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2827
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Didn’t go well. I’ve been regaining an ankle injury for a month, it blew out on me. DNFd at 20k.

Shattered.

Just about to confirm my UTA entry though. Let’s try again.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

That sucks mate.
User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14852
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Health and fitness

Post by bonehead »

unlucky Watanobbi, rehab it and get yourself right. You were 20k's further than the bulk of the human race

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
User avatar
gergreg
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9309
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gergreg »

I saw you comment on injury recovery, on Strava I think? And wondered how you were attempting this? Rest up mate.

I was meant to do a (virtual) half this weekend for the Canberra running festival. I went out for a quick 5k on Monday or Tuesday night and my hammy felt really weird so I hobbled home. Thankfully only 500m from home at the time. I'll give it a few more days and try again on Wednesday. I've got til next Sunday to do the half.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
User avatar
gergreg
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9309
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gergreg »

Did my virtual half marathon today for the Canberra running festival and it was a bit excruciating. **** hot and felt like my hamstring was on the verge of popping from the first kilometre. 2 hours 33 of punishment.

I went for a short 6k after work about two weeks ago and my whole leg felt weird. Upper calf, lower hamstring and thigh also a bit tender after 500m so hobbled straight home. So haven't been doing much since then, and battled it out today. I think I need about a month to rest it up a bit, but my sleeping patterns turn to **** when I don't run.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
User avatar
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20582
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Health and fitness

Post by -PJ- »

I walked 3ks in double pluggers today.

Rewarded myself with a few ales.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12389
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gangrenous »

Oh god, the rubbing

Your big toe and second tie must be a couple of millimetres longer after that
User avatar
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20582
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Health and fitness

Post by -PJ- »

I’m paying for it now gangers.

I’ve had my feet in radox sarv..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2827
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Well I went racing on Saturday, did the Summit Shoalhaven trail run event. I actually felt like I was slow cooking....

I had entered the 55k but switched to the 40k due to the heat... after the biggest climb in 40+ heat with no breeze or shade I just popped my HR, couldn’t get it under 160bpm after that even walking to recover. Started spewing at 28k. Tough days out are the best, but I’m glad I dropped back a distance, there was another decent climb in the extra 15k... as it was we started and finished by going over the top of Mt Skanzi, the big peak right in Kangaroo Valley... the last time up it to the finish there were people just popping.. the volunteers and first aid were amazing at getting to everyone in trouble so quickly.

Awesome event.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Kangaroo Valley is stunning. Is that event usually on at this time of year, or had it been pushed back?
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2827
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: November 30, 2020, 5:39 am Kangaroo Valley is stunning. Is that event usually on at this time of year, or had it been pushed back?
It hadn't run for a number of years, this year was its 'comeback' and was scheduled for about 2 months ago, but had an issue with permits in September, so got pushed to November. Just bad luck it landed on the hottest 2 consecutive november days in recorded history.
EJ
David Furner
Posts: 3777
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am

Re: Health and fitness

Post by EJ »

Coastalraider wrote: November 30, 2020, 5:09 am Well I went racing on Saturday, did the Summit Shoalhaven trail run event. I actually felt like I was slow cooking....

I had entered the 55k but switched to the 40k due to the heat... after the biggest climb in 40+ heat with no breeze or shade I just popped my HR, couldn’t get it under 160bpm after that even walking to recover. Started spewing at 28k. Tough days out are the best, but I’m glad I dropped back a distance, there was another decent climb in the extra 15k... as it was we started and finished by going over the top of Mt Skanzi, the big peak right in Kangaroo Valley... the last time up it to the finish there were people just popping.. the volunteers and first aid were amazing at getting to everyone in trouble so quickly.

Awesome event.
I saw your track :clap:

How did you go with hydration? Especially when spewing some of it back up. How much did you carry at any one time? Any/how many stations?

I've been on a few real hot runs in the mountains. One really stands out. Any creek/river I came across I would literally just sit in it and cup water over my head for a few mins trying to cool down. Pretty much as soon as I got up and moved 20m I felt dry and hot again. Your time was impressive considering how much the heat slows you down.

I've finally been consistent (for about 9 weeks) for the first time since the first half of this year. Not doing any proper long distances yet, but with no races to train for I'm actually enjoying just very gradually increasing my distances. I have an eye on Raw Challenge in Doyalson in March, which is really short (8km), so it's something in the back of mind that if I can stay consistent up till then, I will be in pretty good shape to race it hard. Other than that, I'll prob just wait till Spartan starts up again in Sydney/Melb and perhaps finally make another attempt at a marathon PB later next year.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Signed up for UTA100. Feeling more confident about it this time
EJ
David Furner
Posts: 3777
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am

Re: Health and fitness

Post by EJ »

Yowzers. I had a slight temptation cus I still have unfinished business there but nar. Plus costs too much

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:Yowzers. I had a slight temptation cus I still have unfinished business there but nar. Plus costs too much

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I had credit from this year's.

I really want to do an event there, but reckon I'd be disappointed in myself by completing anything less than the 100km. I'll do it once and then probably do shorter ones from there on in.
User avatar
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1210
Joined: June 24, 2017, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Tarps

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Lucy »

Dr Zaius wrote:
EJ wrote:Yowzers. I had a slight temptation cus I still have unfinished business there but nar. Plus costs too much

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I had credit from this year's.

I really want to do an event there, but reckon I'd be disappointed in myself by completing anything less than the 100km. I'll do it once and then probably do shorter ones from there on in.
Two words.

Idi Ot!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Lucy wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
EJ wrote:Yowzers. I had a slight temptation cus I still have unfinished business there but nar. Plus costs too much

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I had credit from this year's.

I really want to do an event there, but reckon I'd be disappointed in myself by completing anything less than the 100km. I'll do it once and then probably do shorter ones from there on in.
Two words.

Idi Ot!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
. Image
EJ
David Furner
Posts: 3777
Joined: February 11, 2005, 11:38 am

Re: Health and fitness

Post by EJ »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 6, 2020, 1:47 pm
EJ wrote:Yowzers. I had a slight temptation cus I still have unfinished business there but nar. Plus costs too much

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I had credit from this year's.

I really want to do an event there, but reckon I'd be disappointed in myself by completing anything less than the 100km. I'll do it once and then probably do shorter ones from there on in.
Yes, def be left feeling unfulfilled not doing the 100, I get ya. When is it? May? :hmmm

I mean, I'll see how my training is going. If I'm getting back to the big runs injury free, I may put myself on the wait list if I'm feeling cute
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Tis May
Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2827
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Yep, I’m in for May as well.
User avatar
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20926
Joined: April 15, 2007, 11:03 am
Location: Queensland somewhere

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well this is exciting!
User avatar
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1210
Joined: June 24, 2017, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Tarps

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Lucy »

I showered standing up yesterday for the first time in 4 months.

Take that health and fitness!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
John Ferguson
Posts: 2827
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: December 5, 2020, 7:37 pm
Coastalraider wrote: November 30, 2020, 5:09 am Well I went racing on Saturday, did the Summit Shoalhaven trail run event. I actually felt like I was slow cooking....

I had entered the 55k but switched to the 40k due to the heat... after the biggest climb in 40+ heat with no breeze or shade I just popped my HR, couldn’t get it under 160bpm after that even walking to recover. Started spewing at 28k. Tough days out are the best, but I’m glad I dropped back a distance, there was another decent climb in the extra 15k... as it was we started and finished by going over the top of Mt Skanzi, the big peak right in Kangaroo Valley... the last time up it to the finish there were people just popping.. the volunteers and first aid were amazing at getting to everyone in trouble so quickly.

Awesome event.
I saw your track :clap:

How did you go with hydration? Especially when spewing some of it back up. How much did you carry at any one time? Any/how many stations?

I've been on a few real hot runs in the mountains. One really stands out. Any creek/river I came across I would literally just sit in it and cup water over my head for a few mins trying to cool down. Pretty much as soon as I got up and moved 20m I felt dry and hot again. Your time was impressive considering how much the heat slows you down.

I've finally been consistent (for about 9 weeks) for the first time since the first half of this year. Not doing any proper long distances yet, but with no races to train for I'm actually enjoying just very gradually increasing my distances. I have an eye on Raw Challenge in Doyalson in March, which is really short (8km), so it's something in the back of mind that if I can stay consistent up till then, I will be in pretty good shape to race it hard. Other than that, I'll prob just wait till Spartan starts up again in Sydney/Melb and perhaps finally make another attempt at a marathon PB later next year.
Sorry mate, just saw this!

I had a 1.5 bladder in my vest and 2 500ml soft bottles in front. The bottles had 2hrs of powder nutrition in each. AIDS were every 7-8km. I usually hydrate off 1L per hour, I upped it slightly to 1.5, and I had a salt tab every 2hours to make sure I didn’t throw my internal levels out by taking too much water/not enough salts.

After spewing I just continued the same, and it felt ok. I don’t think I got dehydrated because I didn’t get the lightheadedness, I think the HR issues were purely down to the body having to work way too hard in the heat.

The had a mate on the weekend do the GC30 Virtually in Newcastle, the last thing he remembers is 21km... strava showed he continued to 28 before he collapsed. He woke up in hospital with kidney issues and a raging internal temp. After hearing that I’m pretty happy I didn’t try to be a hero and I listened to my body.
Post Reply