Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: December 29, 2019, 12:37 pm What did you do to your knee - hyper-extend? I just did a 5k on the treadmill - good to shake off some Christmas pudding and test out my new hokas.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
No, I had about 2 weeks off training with a cold I think I brought in by running hard in smoke (I do not recommend). I think either my calf or hammy had tightened and on my first ride back I started racing a mate up a steep climb and it feels like it has strained where the muscle attaches. I can ride ok, I feel it, but when I run the constant load/unload hurts a load so I’m just not running.

Which Hokas have you gone with? I’ve been using cliftons for just over a year, and have just gone Mafetes for trail. I’m trying the new Asics glideride for road running - bloody fast but a real narrow operating window so you need to be careful when you use them.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I got a pair of Clifton 5's for about 130 so trying them.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: December 29, 2019, 5:38 pm I got a pair of Clifton 5's for about 130 so trying them.

I’ll PM you a mod for them.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Managed to head out in the afternoon yesterday once it cleared a bit. Still smokey. Felt like I'd smoked a packet of durries afterwards.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Nearly 6 weeks post ACL surgery and cracked a decent milestone - first few metres of light jogging complete.

Been relatively pain free for the last 4 weeks and been going out a fair bit which is good.

The exercise bike has been very important for getting range of motion back. 180 degree extension was fairly easy to accomplish, but the knee refuses to bend below about 85 degrees at this point, so really having to push it otherwise it may never fully recover.

Looking forward to some beach swims and hopefully only a few weeks away from going on an extended jog around the smoke streets of suburban Sydney.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

yeh raiders wrote: December 30, 2019, 4:44 pm Nearly 6 weeks post ACL surgery and cracked a decent milestone - first few metres of light jogging complete.

Been relatively pain free for the last 4 weeks and been going out a fair bit which is good.

The exercise bike has been very important for getting range of motion back. 180 degree extension was fairly easy to accomplish, but the knee refuses to bend below about 85 degrees at this point, so really having to push it otherwise it may never fully recover.

Looking forward to some beach swims and hopefully only a few weeks away from going on an extended jog around the smoke streets of suburban Sydney.
Nice one mate, that’s great news!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Training is done for the year - finished up this morning with a 110k ride to wrap up the #festive500 - a challenge of riding 500k between Christmas and New Years.

I had 2 running’s injuries this year that kept some run miles lower than wanted but the stats are in!!

Swimming - 159km - 51hours
Running - 1211km - 115hours
Cycling - 7416km - 269 hours
Strength and yoga - 48 hours.

It’s been a bloody big year :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6trYiFBPHj ... a6o0yifqj9
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Training is done for the year - finished up this morning with a 110k ride to wrap up the #festive500 - a challenge of riding 500k between Christmas and New Years.

I had 2 running’s injuries this year that kept some run miles lower than wanted but the stats are in!!

Swimming - 159km - 51hours
Running - 1211km - 115hours
Cycling - 7416km - 269 hours
Strength and yoga - 48 hours.

It’s been a bloody big year :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6trYiFBPHj ... a6o0yifqj9
Well done. I finished off the year this morning with a 21km run around the West Basin of LBG which was nearly the death of me.

- Running: 1637.8km, 201h 23m, 46,898m climbed
- Cycling: 35.4km, 4h 25m
- Hiking: 84.9km, 23h 17m
- X-Training: 236.2km, 74h 50m

Needless to say mostly ran and went to bootcamp.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Given the events on the south coast I'm pretty embarrassed about my mini tantie about the smoke. Thinking of every one who is harms way down there.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I had an up and down 2019 but my consistency was much improved from 2018 but I still didn’t accomplish anything in the year. I just feel I didn’t push myself.

Today I went out and ran my first ever 10kms. (Yep, the furthest I have ever run).

I finished in 70:14. 14 seconds over the goal I set myself. For comparison, 6 weeks ago I ran 7kms in 56:54. At the 7km mark I had smashed the old time by almost 8 minutes. That. Felt. Good.

Hoping this sets the scene for me really consistently running and not only that but actually pushing myself.

I’ll have to, as I have signed up for my first halfy on the O’keefe trail in April (easy track close to me).

Here’s to the hard work paying off this year!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

So what’s going on around these parts?!?

Updates please?

I’m off to Adelaide tomorrow for a work trip, doing the Tour Down Under Challenge tour event on Friday while I’m there, a 160k stage we pass through before the pros arrive later in the day.

Also got a table via a sponsor for the Legends dinner on Saturday night, Fabian Cancellara, Spartacus himself will be the guest speaker.

Looking forward to this one👍
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm feeling decidedly unfit at the moment and am very worried about UTA in May. I'm taking a three week holiday in March and will lose fitness then. The Xmas/NY period wasn't great for me. Drank and ate way more than I usually would. Had grand plans to do lots of runs while in Canberra for 10 days, but the smoke and heat put an end to that. Then I dragged my parents up here to get them out of the smoke, and they are not the best influence when it comes to diet. I'm about 7km heavier than I'd like, running slower and struggling with distance.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yes, too much pudding, cider and inactivity for me. Struggled through an 8k trail run this arvo and it hurt a little.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well that’s a bike block finished for me, awesome time in Adelaide with 240 hard Ks since I landed on Thursday. Great event.

Now to start upping the run for UTA...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

50 or 100?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 26, 2020, 7:09 pm50 or 100?
Likely 100.

I’m s@&t scared, but those are the journeys that you learnt he most from.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Have you not joined the waitlist yet, coastal? You've only been able to join the 100km waitlist for months now

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: January 27, 2020, 12:00 am Have you not joined the waitlist yet, coastal? You've only been able to join the 100km waitlist for months now

It’s a different angle. The company I work for is taking a big new sponsor to the event (and other trail events in Aus) and part of that entitlement package is a volume of entries for promotional purposes (not many mind you with UTA!). The final negotiations are happening in the next couple of weeks, we are aiming for one of those entries to be allocated to me.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Ah! That's awesome man. And you'll be right with the 100 lol

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just signed up for the Canberra half in April. I would have preferred the full but on a few longer runs (15 +) the knee has started to feel sore. There would be nothing worse than running in pain for 20k but I think I can manage a half. A workmate is keen on cracking 2 hrs and I think I can manage that.

Been running mostly on the dreadmill and starting to build up my weekly mileage after bludging over Christmas and January.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Nice one mate, its must have been a bloody tough summer to train down there. I was due down there for work this week but it got cancelled due to air quality and how much time we would have spent exposed doing heavy lifting.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I was told last night I have an entry for UTA100.

Codes etc should be sorted this week.

S**t.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

It's actually not that far off really. How is your running going?

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Solid but the program has increased dramatically (but progressively) since the Tour Down under bike which had a lot of bike Ks in the build.

Base line fitness is good, just need to keep improving the time on feet and some extra core strength. And bloody stairs.

Ive got Husky Ultimate tri on in a couple of weeks but that will just be a roll around without any real focus on it.

Any tips from you or the Doc etc would be welcome!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Oh I'm not the person to ask for tips. I reckon I'm **** lol
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's kind of like asking Curtis Scott what mid strength beer he enjoys most.

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I would try to get some training in on course if possible. A lot of the trails are reopening again now after the fires.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: February 12, 2020, 10:19 am I would try to get some training in on course if possible. A lot of the trails are reopening again now after the fires.

Yeah I have thought that as well. Its not exactly local, but I need to get down there for a day or 2 on course for sure.

I have Boudhi course quite close to work, so I can do that fairly easily - there is a section of 3km worth of stairs there that should be similar.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Yeah as long as you can access trails that have similar elevation. I think that's important. You climb about 850m in the last 12km. That could be very demoralising if you're not familiar with that kind of incline.

I saw people tap out in that last 12km, as incredible as that seems.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: February 12, 2020, 12:58 pm Yeah as long as you can access trails that have similar elevation. I think that's important. You climb about 850m in the last 12km. That could be very demoralising if you're not familiar with that kind of incline.

I saw people tap out in that last 12km, as incredible as that seems.

Ill be doing it in the dark, its always easier when you cant see how much more of a hill there is :roflmao

I did a run in the dark on Sunday starting at an MT spot I use - I had never run the fire trails before. I got out of the car to an incline I knew, next thing I new I had gained just over 200 vert in teh first 2k... I didnt realise the hill was THAT long, bit because I could only see the circle in my head torch, it wasnt that daunting.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Damn I'm the opposite. I go slower in the dark and get more frustrated.

If I do the 100 again I would be hoping to finish before midnight. So only 6 hours max in darkness. That's a thought I can digest emotionally lol

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

So it’s the first race week of the year!

Husky half Ironman this Sunday, just aiming to roll around and have a solid run off the bike.

How’s the training going Doc??

EJ, have you had any luck on the wait list? I saw that there are a number of entries starting to come online on a Facebook group that UTA use for reselling??
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Not great mate, first smoke, then work, most recently flooding in the hinterlands have put me well behind. Off for a three week holiday on the weekend. We'll see.

Good luck on the weekend mate. How are you feeling?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Coastalraider wrote:So it’s the first race week of the year!

Husky half Ironman this Sunday, just aiming to roll around and have a solid run off the bike.

EJ, have you had any luck on the wait list? I saw that there are a number of entries starting to come online on a Facebook group that UTA use for reselling??
Pretty much decided I'm not gonna attempt it this year. It's only 2.5 months away and I just did my first 21km since September last night.

If I have another crack at the 100, I want to go sub 17 hours at least and I don't think I'm in any chance this year. Plus I probs can't afford it lol.

But we'll see. I've got a Spartan race next weekend and will look to do long runs (min 25km) in the mountains again every weekend after that. I guess if I can string a few 5+ hour runs together in time and there's a cheap entry someone's trying to flog I may still do it.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: February 27, 2020, 9:50 am
Coastalraider wrote:So it’s the first race week of the year!

Pretty much decided I'm not gonna attempt it this year. It's only 2.5 months away and I just did my first 21km since September last night.

If I have another crack at the 100, I want to go sub 17 hours at least and I don't think I'm in any chance this year. Plus I probs can't afford it lol.

But we'll see. I've got a Spartan race next weekend and will look to do long runs (min 25km) in the mountains again every weekend after that. I guess if I can string a few 5+ hour runs together in time and there's a cheap entry someone's trying to flog I may still do it.

Makes sense mate. Good luck for next weekend!

I think I’m down at scene if World next tiesday for a meeting about UTA, any tips on a 10k ish run loop? I’ve got a 70.3 on Sunday so down want to overestimate what the legs are capable of.

Would love to do a section of the course though if I could