Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: January 11, 2019, 7:23 pm
Coastalraider wrote:Saw you are back on the bike Greg, hows it feeling??
Did 40k when it was probably a little too hot and didn't carry enough water. Knee felt pretty good though. I'm going for a lap of stromlo this w/e which should be fun. I had planned on doing a little running over the Christmas break but another few months can't hurt (waistline excepted).

What are your goals this year? You pushing for Kona?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Glad to hear the knee is holding up ok, make sure you get some strength back before smashing into the running again!

No to Kona for me, I don’t see myself as ever getting quick enough for that. Unless you can finish top 5 you dont really have a chance, and then you would need rilldown anyway, as there are usually on 2-3 spots per age group at each event.

I’m doing Port Macquarie Ironman again, I have a coach now, so will be aiming to go a bit quicker than last year.

Depending on how I pull up physically (and mentally!) after Ironman, I’m toying with the idea of trying to qualify for the Aussie team at the ITU world long course champs. That’s a little easier than Kona.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:Doc may have an opinion? But I was told that Osteopaths are a good alternative to chiros.

They're kind of a mix of chiros and physios. There are some good ones and some bad ones. There is a bit of a tendency towards woo in some of them.

There really are two types of chiros out there. Those that just stick to back pain +/- musculoskeletal problems, and those that see "spinal adjustments" as cure alls for everything from asthma to epilepsy to cancer. I've got no great issue with the first group, its the second group which **** me. There's actually a bit of a power struggle going on in Australia at the moment between the two groups.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 13, 2019, 4:22 pm
gergreg wrote:Doc may have an opinion? But I was told that Osteopaths are a good alternative to chiros.

They're kind of a mix of chiros and physios. There are some good ones and some bad ones. There is a bit of a tendency towards woo in some of them.

There really are two types of chiros out there. Those that just stick to back pain +/- musculoskeletal problems, and those that see "spinal adjustments" as cure alls for everything from asthma to epilepsy to cancer. I've got no great issue with the first group, its the second group which **** me. There's actually a bit of a power struggle going on in Australia at the moment between the two groups.
I go to a chiro fortnightly, one of the first group. He is always giving me different excersize to strengthen weak spots in my form, as he can see what’s wrong by the way I get pulled out of whack. Spending a lot of time in the TT position of the Bike, and lower back with swimming, I get a big benefit from getting my neck and back worked on.

I do go to a physio if I have an injury, but a visit there is twice the price at least, so not sustainable for regular visits.

I’d love to be like he pros and have physio, massage etc every week, but that works for me.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: January 13, 2019, 4:22 pm

I go to a chiro fortnightly, one of the first group. He is always giving me different excersize to strengthen weak spots in my form, as he can see what’s wrong by the way I get pulled out of whack. Spending a lot of time in the TT position of the Bike, and lower back with swimming, I get a big benefit from getting my neck and back worked on.

I do go to a physio if I have an injury, but a visit there is twice the price at least, so not sustainable for regular visits.

I’d love to be like he pros and have physio, massage etc every week, but that works for me.
Like a said, the good chiros basically practice physio
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Dr Zaius wrote: January 12, 2019, 5:01 am So I've started training for the Kokoda Gold Coast Challenge in July. It's a 96km endurance event, done in teams of 4 through the Gold Coast Hinterland. Median time is 28 hours. Did one of the training routes last weekend and thought that it was pretty hilly. Got home and looked at the elevation profile of the whole course. The part I ran was a couple of little bumps with 5 massive climbs dwarfing it. Going to be running up a lot of hills in the next 6 months.
Wow. So does that mean the 96km distance is broken up equally between the 4?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I had bulging l4 and l5. I was bent over to the right, hips twisted... it looked awful.

The chiro straightened me up in one adjustment. Physio took several appointments, and she was the one who suggested chiro.

I agree with Dr Zaius though in general. The whole chiro thing is dodgy. I can't believe they promote anti vaxx, and some of their ideas are straight out of the lunacy asylum.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: January 12, 2019, 5:01 am So I've started training for the Kokoda Gold Coast Challenge in July. It's a 96km endurance event, done in teams of 4 through the Gold Coast Hinterland. Median time is 28 hours. Did one of the training routes last weekend and thought that it was pretty hilly. Got home and looked at the elevation profile of the whole course. The part I ran was a couple of little bumps with 5 massive climbs dwarfing it. Going to be running up a lot of hills in the next 6 months.
No mate. We all do the 96km,but do it as a team. Talking to people that have done it, it's brutal and reduces grown men to tears. Should be great!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So just like a 2017/18 Raiders season.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:So just like a 2017/18 Raiders season.

Precisely
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Dr Zaius wrote:
EJ wrote:
No mate. We all do the 96km,but do it as a team. Talking to people that have done it, it's brutal and reduces grown men to tears. Should be great!
Oh lol, awesome.

I can't for the life of me find the elevation map for the course, but it sounds epic!

Good luck mate!

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Ta da! Image
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Hoh, that is a bumpy ride.

LOL at 55-70km. Enjoy that, what a killer.

Got total elevation gain?

It looks like it might beat out UTA 100 for elevation, which is about 4.5km gain.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Yeah supposed to be about 5000m. That 55-75 is through the army base and is the only part of the course that you can't practice on.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Hey fellas it’s been a while so I thought I would provide a brief update.

I’ve been quietly working away on my running. Trying to get a little better each week, I had a breakthrough this week where I got a PB at ParkRun (34:26) and ran the whole course. The only disappointment from it was after I was finished I felt like I could have gone harder on my final 2kms. Still happy with the progress.

Aiming to get out and complete my first ever 10k run over the next few weeks so that is exciting as well!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Great stuff KD. I learnt the hard way that it's all about pacing. You know that you have a bit more in you, you can push yourself a bit harder next time. Better under doing it sometimes than overdoing it and going down in a screaming heap. Been there, done that. It ain't pretty.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Go KD! I reckon you're not far off a 10km!

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

What were you doing yesterday EJ, one of those stadium stomp races??
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:What were you doing yesterday EJ, one of those stadium stomp races??
Looks like Spartan Stadium Singapore. Had some friends doing it
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Yeah, that was it. Was good fun. Definitely hurt a bit during, though the already short format (5km) measured quite a bit shorter (4.25km) by my watch.

Those stadium races are always intense.

Got an "urban sprint" race in two weeks in Sydney, so was good to see where I'm at after only getting back into consistency since the new year.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What's an Urban Sprint?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

It's when Spartan are too cheap to hire out the stadium and run a race on the grounds outside the stadium instead.

So don't think there'll be many stairs. Maybe there's a couple hills around Homebush for some elevation though.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

So I'm up to 92.5kg bench 5x5.
60 kg upright row.
55kg military press

Back still squeals under dead lifts, and hips sing "ave Maria" after squats, which really hurts.

I've given up on deadlifts.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Low weight, high repetition deadlifts (stopped before fatigue) are a great way to burn those hamys and glutes. High weight, low repetition deadlifts are a great way to ruin your back.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

dubby wrote: January 28, 2019, 5:47 pm So I'm up to 92.5kg bench 5x5.
60 kg upright row.
55kg military press

Back still squeals under dead lifts, and hips sing "ave Maria" after squats, which really hurts.

I've given up on deadlifts.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I've modified/substituted a lot of my exercises after finding out about the FAI
even a couple of years down the track it's a bit of work understanding how it reacts to different movements, I'm still learning.

I've been erring on the side of caution and not squatting below parallel. I've also cut out movements like cycling, rowing, mountain climbers, knee raises, V sit ups, leg raises.

My physio has given me exercises to strengthen the glutes and another to work on the tendons, I've improved since seeing this latest physio (my 3rd)
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Another update!

On Friday I Weighed in for the first time since December. Happy to say I’ve lost 13kgs since then. Still about 15 to go but making great progress. The body is feeling strong and I am really enjoying the running. Got another 5km PB of 33 minutes on Saturday and feel like I can beat that next week.

Broke the bike out for the first time in a couple of years and rode 15km yesterday. It was a nice change from running and ended with no soreness at all. Running really strengthens the body and the mind.

I’m in a great place mentally at the moment and just enjoying every walk, run or ride.

Thanks for the support guys
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

KingDynamite wrote: February 4, 2019, 3:31 pm Another update!

On Friday I Weighed in for the first time since December. Happy to say I’ve lost 13kgs since then. Still about 15 to go but making great progress. The body is feeling strong and I am really enjoying the running. Got another 5km PB of 33 minutes on Saturday and feel like I can beat that next week.

Broke the bike out for the first time in a couple of years and rode 15km yesterday. It was a nice change from running and ended with no soreness at all. Running really strengthens the body and the mind.

I’m in a great place mentally at the moment and just enjoying every walk, run or ride.

Thanks for the support guys
Bloody hell KD, that’s amazing! Well done!

Just watch out for headspins etc, when I dropped my weight I was dropping about 1kg a week, and every now and then the body has a little ‘glitch’ while it is trying to readjust.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

That might have been the 100km rides Coastal does twice a week though, KD.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Congrats KD, we done

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: February 4, 2019, 7:53 pm That might have been the 100km rides Coastal does twice a week though, KD.
Good point EJ.

Speaking of rides - Greg Im in Canberra for work this weekend and am planning on heading out to Stromlo for a couple of loops of Cotter - Uriara. Would you like to come along for a loop??
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I thought you might be in town Nick. Sorry I'm not up for anything. Had my eye surgery yesterday. I'll be pretty miserable (more than usual) for quite some time.Image

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Ow, what happened?

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Ooofff.. what the hell??
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Cornea transplant. I've been waiting a year. It's part of the reason I haven't rushed back into running.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:Cornea transplant. I've been waiting a year. It's part of the reason I haven't rushed back into running.

keen to know how it went, I need one plus laser surgery on my left eye

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:
gergreg wrote:Cornea transplant. I've been waiting a year. It's part of the reason I haven't rushed back into running.

keen to know how it went, I need one plus laser surgery on my left eye

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You need a cornea transplant?
I'm feeling pretty ordinary today and yesterday mainly just through tiredness. I went public because it's very expensive otherwise and I lucked out with my hospital roommates. 2 were older guys who were pretty good and quiet. Then at about 7pm (ish) some crazy guy got admitted. Opiate addict from what I could tell. He kept me awake all night.
Anyway. I went through Canberra eye hospital who are pretty good, you're up central coast aren't you? There is also a great place in Sydney. The surgery took about two hours. Then just pain killers, panadol and daily steroid tablets. Took the patch off yesterday and have started on eye drops. About 19 drops per day and gradually weening off the steroid tablets. The eye actually feels pretty good but a bit mucky as you would expect so difficult to open for long periods. At the optometrist yesterday my vision looked better than prior to the surgery which is promising. The process going forward: doc says vision might be a little blurry for about 4 weeks, so I was surprised yesterday at what I could see. After about 4 months he will prescribe some glasses or lenses so fairly limited vision until then. The stitches will be removed after 18 months. As you would imagine bright lights are annoying. From memory the doc said the surgery has a 90/95 % success rate, and a 10 % chance of degeneration each year. Not sure of the exact figures. I tend to deal with what's in front of me and not worry about possibilities.
If it's just laser, I spoke to a work colleague who had it done and she had a really good experience.
Was there anything else? Good luck. Hopefully in a few months I'll be saying it's the best thing I've ever done. And hopefully I can get some glasses, been wearing lenses for about 30 years and a little sick of them.