Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Coastalraider »

Time for a stupid challenge. I’ve been out after work dropping aid bags in the bush, ahead of a Long run. I’ve been recce-ing the Great North Walk ultra courses, and am kicking off at about 3am to run the 50 miler solo and self supported in friday.

More of a mental health run that any specific time target, really want to use it as a reset prior to the holidays. Sign off from a **** **** 2020 in style.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Hahaha, awesome. When is this happening?

You say not fussed on time but is the 3am start implying you expect to finish before the next night?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: December 17, 2020, 8:05 am Hahaha, awesome. When is this happening?

You say not fussed on time but is the 3am start implying you expect to finish before the next night?

It’s on for tomorrow. Aiming to be at home for bedtime. A really good day on that trail I think would be 12-13 hours, meaning I would spend less time in the heat and hopefully avoid the forecast thunderstorm with a 3am start.

But you know, reality has a way of sorting you out :roflmao
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Done!

The 2 sections I didn’t recce and thought were fire trail were very technical single track :hmmm

Great day out though and pulled it off in just over 14 hours with aid stops. Would
Have put me mid pack on that course for the 2019 race. Pretty happy.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Done!

The 2 sections I didn’t recce and thought were fire trail were very technical single track :hmmm

Great day out though and pulled it off in just over 14 hours with aid stops. Would
Looked at it on Strava. Pretty epic. Did you get lost in the middle part there or was gps pinging around?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 19, 2020, 8:54 am
Coastalraider wrote:Done!

Looked at it on Strava. Pretty epic. Did you get lost in the middle part there or was gps pinging around?
GPS seemed to be pingy as the battery was dying. Not crazy vert, just a lot of sections too technical to run.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

My 7 y/o really wants to start running with me, so does the younger one. Perfect for me coming back from hamstring problems/soreness - plus I wanted to start the dog running as well. Any tips from anyone, Doc?

There is about a 2k loop around my place (firetrail) I'll be starting off with that. Single lap. Taking it very easy and make it be about having fun over anything else. Her competitive urge is coming out, she has just started gaming and is a terrible winner and a very sore loser.

Also, anybody seen any shoe bargains? I grabbed a cheap pair of hoka cliftons this time last year. Thinking about going back to kayanos. I find them comfortable enough with decent cushioning and the last pair lasted over 1500km and I really had no reason to throw them out, still plenty of outer sole and still comfy.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Hey does anyone have the Couch to 5k runner app? I it a treadmill recently and I’ve been running along with this app. I’ve done the 3 free classes, and now trying to see if the $14.99 access is a one off fee, or a recurring payment
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Hey does anyone have the Couch to 5k runner app? I it a treadmill recently and I’ve been running along with this app. I’ve done the 3 free classes, and now trying to see if the $14.99 access is a one off fee, or a recurring payment
Yeah, I’ve used it twice to get back to running 5k, it’s super effective

Only, mine was free... are you sure you’re using C25K and not some variation?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah that’s my plan, use it to get my fitness back then see next steps.

I remember it being free also, I think the one I have now is the proper Couch 2 5k runner? It’s this oneImage
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I have no idea how you define the “proper one”, but the one I have is still free and has an orange C25K app logo.

I’ve never seen the one you’re showing there, which probably explains why it’s not free
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Top right one

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Aha, downloaded, and I’ll start again. Thanks!

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I had grand plans to get up ridiculously early on New Years Day, and run from Binna Burra to O'Reilly's Return. Watch the sun coming up from the cliff tops. But some of the trails are closed due to storm damage. No problem I say, I'll just have to do a shorter loop. Today I've been told that I'll have to work that morning. New Years Day has become a metaphor for 2020.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:I had grand plans to get up ridiculously early on New Years Day, and run from Binna Burra to O'Reilly's Return. Watch the sun coming up from the cliff tops. But some of the trails are closed due to storm damage. No problem I say, I'll just have to do a shorter loop. Today I've been told that I'll have to work that morning. New Years Day has become a metaphor for 2020.
Correction: it’s a metaphor for the **** that’s going to be known as 2021
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

The Nickman wrote:I have no idea how you define the “proper one”, but the one I have is still free and has an orange C25K app logo.

I’ve never seen the one you’re showing there, which probably explains why it’s not free
I used a previous Couch to 5k in the past and have recently been using the orange one. Orange one is not as good, is a bit clunky and I really miss the “if you are not running in a loop now is the time to turn around feature” or being able to do some of the days again to up it to 4 days a week not 3.

All minor issues that can be worked around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

H&F well below par this morning.

Feeling better now !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Rick wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I have no idea how you define the “proper one”, but the one I have is still free and has an orange C25K app logo.

I used a previous Couch to 5k in the past and have recently been using the orange one. Orange one is not as good, is a bit clunky and I really miss the “if you are not running in a loop now is the time to turn around feature” or being able to do some of the days again to up it to 4 days a week not 3.

It tells you when you are halfway though... surely that’s a good time to turnaround?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

The Nickman wrote:
Rick wrote:

It tells you when you are halfway though... surely that’s a good time to turnaround?
The one I am using does not. It’s running off the watch though so I am wondering if that’s what is making it a bit glitchy. One one of the runs it was only verbally gelling me when to walk and I just had to go off the visuals for when to run.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

**** got real this week... I was disappointed to miss out on a 6 Foot track marathon entry in the lottery a couple of days ago, so just led straight online to find an alternative. I entered the Snowy Mountains Ultra.. 50k up in the high country near Lake Crackenback.

Then today I found out I DID get a 6 foot entry on the second lottery draw....

So I’m doing both as UTA training.....
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You're a glutton for punishment.

The UTA is in May from memory? Is that when it is usually on or has it just shifted because of Covid? I might think about doing the 50 next year.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: January 23, 2021, 7:52 pm You're a glutton for punishment.

The UTA is in May from memory? Is that when it is usually on or has it just shifted because of Covid? I might think about doing the 50 next year.

Yep in May.

Snowy ultra late feb, 6 foot in early March.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Snowy Ultra looks like its along the trail from Thredo to Lake Crakenback Resort.

I rode that course a few years ago. It's stunning, and not overly hilly. Should be a very comfortable 50km. Would be an awesome event.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Coastalraider wrote:
gergreg wrote: January 23, 2021, 7:52 pm You're a glutton for punishment.

Yep in May.

Snowy ultra late feb, 6 foot in early March.
Oof. Hope you're not overdoing it.

Six Foot is **** of fun tho, you'll really enjoy it. Goodluck

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I don’t plan on pushing too hard for those 2, just using them as long training days with aid stations. I’ll be running 100+ks a week, so that’s a good chance to practice with full UTA kit, tapers etc before the big dance.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Anybody doing Raw Challenge in Doyalson in March? Never done it before but keen as it'll be my first race in 12 months. It's short (8km) but really obstacle heavy (70 obstacles??)

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Health and fitness

I’m 5 weeks into my C25K regime. It’s Been pretty effective. At the end of each week, I’ll have a peek at the following week, think “Geez, I can’t do that.” Then I do it. I kind of want to find a 5k now to sign up for, something as a bit of a goal

I’ve also been man shaking for a couple of weeks. Just replacing my lunches so far. Lost 4kgs in about 2 weeks

Nickman's love of NSW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Google parkrun and you should be able to find something.

I haven't run since November but need to get off my butt within the next week or so.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Parkrun Fui. Parkrun.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm ramping up the training for UTA100. Actually enjoying it, which is a pleasant surprise.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What's a long run look like in a 100k event look like?

I just started running again 2 or 3 weeks back and yeah enjoying it. Did 12 k the last two Sundays but need to bump up the distance fairly soon.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I've kind of just made up a bit of a program based on "Daniel's Running Formula" which is a pretty interesting book. Essentially capping long runs at about 30% of weekly kms, and no longer than 2.5 hours, run at an "Easy Pace". I think that I'll bump that up to 3 hours. Doing my long runs on the trails, and all others on the road. Did 60km for the week (Sat to Fri), and will go up to 66km this week. Aiming for 75km a week, but may not get there with work commitments. That will mean 22.5km long runs on the trails, which at an easy pace will take 2.5 to 3 hours.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote: February 20, 2021, 1:56 pm What's a long run look like in a 100k event look like?

I just started running again 2 or 3 weeks back and yeah enjoying it. Did 12 k the last two Sundays but need to bump up the distance fairly soon.

Does that mean that you are in for the 50km?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gergreg wrote: February 20, 2021, 1:56 pm What's a long run look like in a 100k event look like?

Does that mean that you are in for the 50km?
Nah, I'm doing the (CBR) half marathon in April. I might try for the uta50 next year.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I just got back from the Snowies Ultra - awesome race! Used it as training and felt a million bucks for 45k, bonked a bit in the last 5, but that’s why you train. I get to try again at the 6 foot Track marathon in 3 weeks. I’m holding 90-100k a week for the last month, barring last week as it tapered into the race, did about 70. Actually pulled up pretty well today and rode around gunghalin lake to shake the legs loose. Tomorrow will be the hurty day.