Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gerg »

Well that was amazing and more than a little crazy. Those elite triathletes are mental.

Man I've put on some weight, but looking forward to taking it all off again.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Sorry to bring some doom and gloom in here but Sharing feels like it may help.

I’m Absolutely devastated to lose my only sibling less than a week ago following two open heart surgeries since mid December that we never new existed before then. He was only 37.

My Brother got me back in to running and achieved some amazingly results including a couple of full marathons completed and plenty of half marathons including a sub 1hr 30, making these even more impressive is the fact he was probably always running with a heart that wasn’t functioning properly(I doubt i’d have ever beaten him if his heart was 100%),

hopefully one day soon when things aren’t so raw I’ll be able to get through my first full Marathon as a bit of a tribute to him. I’m sure he’d like that
Last edited by kiwi raider on March 3, 2019, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I am so, so sorry.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry to hear of your loss and your family's loss kiwi raider. Breaks my heart to hear of the members of the site going through such difficult times, but I'm appreciative that this is a community where you can feel you can share. I hope it somehow helps to share it. My thoughts are with you.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Thanks guys appreciate it, certainly struggling for answers at the moment but I’m also very thankful that he got me back in to running as it was a couple of hours every Saturday that we wouldn’t have spent together if he didn’t drag my **** up the hill For the first time about 3 years ago
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm glad you can remember some great times kiwi.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That's awful, awful news mare. I'm very sorry for you and your family.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Thoughts are with you kiwi.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

37? Mate that sucks. Cling to those good memories. Sorry for your loss.

KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Thoughts are with you kiwi.

Wishing you all the best moving forward mate. Stay strong
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

sorry to hear Kiwi, look after yourself mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Plenty of love from me as well kiwi...

All the best mate.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Condolences Kiwi

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: March 3, 2019, 7:58 pm Sorry to bring some doom and gloom in here but Sharing feels like it may help.

I’m Absolutely devastated to lose my only sibling less than a week ago following two open heart surgeries since mid December that we never new existed before then. He was only 37.

My Brother got me back in to running and achieved some amazingly results including a couple of full marathons completed and plenty of half marathons including a sub 1hr 30, making these even more impressive is the fact he was probably always running with a heart that wasn’t functioning properly(I doubt i’d have ever beaten him if his heart was 100%),

hopefully one day soon when things aren’t so raw I’ll be able to get through my first full Marathon as a bit of a tribute to him. I’m sure he’d like that
How are you going Kiwi? Hanging in there?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Oh no kiwi, that's awful news! So sorry for your loss, mate. Condolences to your family, that must be simply devastating for you :'(
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Very sorry to hear, Kiwi. Glad you found the forum as an outlet. Please don't hold back if you want to get anything out. Sorry again, mate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: March 5, 2019, 5:27 pm
kiwi raider wrote: March 3, 2019, 7:58 pm Sorry to bring some doom and gloom in here but Sharing feels like it may help.

How are you going Kiwi? Hanging in there?
Was feeling much more positive over the last 2/3 days, remembering the good times mainly and feeling more appreciative of the time we had, it is however starting to feel a bit more real and beginning to hit home that he really is gone.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Grief can be a real roller coaster mate. I Think the trick is to let yourself roll with whatever phase you’re in, and not fight it.

Feel free for a Pm if you need a vent mate.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

So Kiwi, have you started planning your marathon yet??
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: March 18, 2019, 11:14 am So Kiwi, have you started planning your marathon yet??
not just yet although my brothers partner is considering doing the gold coast half so that could be an option for the full marathon for me(or Christchurch in June)I have been for a few 10km runs since all this happened but they have felt extraordinarily hard for some reason, probably mental and due to lack of sleep/stress etc but also have an ECG(just precautionary)to get done over the coming days to make sure I don't have a similar condition to my brother. Don't really want to push myself to hard until I get the all clear even though its very unlikely i'll have any issues.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: March 18, 2019, 12:10 pm
Coastalraider wrote: March 18, 2019, 11:14 am So Kiwi, have you started planning your marathon yet??
not just yet although my brothers partner is considering doing the gold coast half so that could be an option for the full marathon for me(or Christchurch in June)I have been for a few 10km runs since all this happened but they have felt extraordinarily hard for some reason, probably mental and due to lack of sleep/stress etc but also have an ECG(just precautionary)to get done over the coming days to make sure I don't have a similar condition to my brother. Don't really want to push myself to hard until I get the all clear even though its very unlikely i'll have any issues.
Hope the ECG goes well mate, hope that gives you the all-clear.

I did GC Marathon last year - its the ideal place for a first one. the closest thing to a hill is a small bridge over a creek - just find a pace that works and keep on going! If you decide to run and want any tips for the course, let me know.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Coastalraider wrote: March 18, 2019, 1:24 pm

I did GC Marathon last year - its the ideal place for a first one. the closest thing to a hill is a small bridge over a creek - just find a pace that works and keep on going! If you decide to run and want any tips for the course, let me know.
Thanks coastal, one issue will probabaly be going from a freezing Christchurch winter to maybe mid 20’s? On the Gold Coast at that time of year? I do feel the heat at times so maybe the christchurch full would be better for me as it’s also very flat, or possibly do both? Would 5 weeks inbetween two full marathons be enough time to recover?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

kiwi raider wrote: March 18, 2019, 2:59 pm
Coastalraider wrote: March 18, 2019, 1:24 pm

Thanks coastal, one issue will probabaly be going from a freezing Christchurch winter to maybe mid 20’s? On the Gold Coast at that time of year? I do feel the heat at times so maybe the christchurch full would be better for me as it’s also very flat, or possibly do both? Would 5 weeks inbetween two full marathons be enough time to recover?
It depends on how you recover I guess, Im pretty messed up for a couple of weeks afterwards. Dont underestimate the difference between a half and a full, I can do a half every week ( in fact my schedule for the next few weeks has me doing a 20k plus a 30k some weeks), but over 30k is a totally different beast.

EJ might have some good input into this as well as he is a pure runner, I just dabble between rides:)

It did get humid at GC last year, which wasn't really uncomfortable, but you had to really stay on top of hydration as it snuck up on you. I reckon for the last 10km there was someone down with medics at least every km.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Coastalraider wrote:I reckon for the last 10km there was someone down with medics at least every km.
Classic marathon scenes Image

I think 5 weeks between marathons is totally doable, but your training has to be there beforehand if you want to be hitting PBs both times.

If you're knocking off 30km+ road runs every week, you'll handle it. Much less than that and you probably won't be able to train strongly after the first marathon for 2-3 weeks which will obviously affect your momentum for the second marathon (with approx 2 week taper).

You've got great half marathon PBs, kiwi. I have no doubt you can handle it. It's all about time on the legs in the months leading up to it. You'll learn your pace with 30km+ training runs. Halfs are short enough that you can still go hard in them. The marathon is a different beast. Learn your pace.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Knowing kiwi he'll probably throw down a sub 3 hour marathon, just to stick in all our faces. :)

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: March 18, 2019, 8:15 pm Knowing kiwi he'll probably throw down a sub 3 hour marathon, just to stick in all our faces. :)

Nailed it :roflmao
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Sub 3 :lol: I'll be happy with just finishing my first one, i'll take a sub 4.
EJ wrote: March 18, 2019, 7:21 pm
Coastalraider wrote:I reckon for the last 10km there was someone down with medics at least every km.
Classic marathon scenes Image

I think 5 weeks between marathons is totally doable, but your training has to be there beforehand if you want to be hitting PBs both times.

If you're knocking off 30km+ road runs every week, you'll handle it. Much less than that and you probably won't be able to train strongly after the first marathon for 2-3 weeks which will obviously affect your momentum for the second marathon (with approx 2 week taper).

You've got great half marathon PBs, kiwi. I have no doubt you can handle it. It's all about time on the legs in the months leading up to it. You'll learn your pace with 30km+ training runs. Halfs are short enough that you can still go hard in them. The marathon is a different beast. Learn your pace.

Not to worried about PB's considering they will be my first attempts, I've done 7/8 halfs but a full still scares the **** out of me so I certainly won't be under estimating the extra distance
Thanks for the tips guys
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Hey guys,

This is my first update in a while. The good news is I’m feeling great after the minor calf tear and back running. But i am struggling a little after being so stationary and over the last week or so and have dived back into some junk food as we have just moved house.

So I am in this weird space of physically being able to run but now being mentally weaker than I was 6 weeks ago?!

Hoping once I get the home gym set up and everything unpacked I can get back into my routine.

I will check back in about a week to try and ensure I am back in track!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Everyone Goes through phases mate, and no one is 100% disciplined 100% or the time. Aknowledge it, go with the flow while you have the challenges, but just focus on slowly working yourself back to where you want to be.
And don’t be hard on yourself!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ you have been punching out some long runs lately - what are you getting ready for?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Got some races soon but I'm really wanting to make this a year long thing. For the first time in 9 months or more I feel like I'm back in the game. I finally got my "short" trail run down below 3 hours on Sunday after about 5 attempts. Now I'm letting myself increase distance/difficulty this week. Could take 5 hours this one.

Depending on how my training pans out over the next few months I'd really like to go for a new marathon PB in Sydney in September. Kinda scary though cus marathons suck

The big daddy if I can make it and if training goes well is 24 hour Spartan in Sweden, in November.

But Spartan Picton (21km) early May and 24 hour Enduro early June, first.

What's everyone got their eyes on for the year?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What's your current marathon PB, EJ?

I'm just waiting for the 'all clear' from the Dr and then the long road back begins. I've put on a bit of pudding around the waist so I'll start off with some gentle cycling.

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

It's a few seconds under 3:30, which was the goal at the time. I've been really proud and satisfied with that time for a long time but that was 2015. In 2017 I set good PBs for City2Surf and half marathon. My marathon PB doesn't match those times anymore. That's why the thought is back.

Hopefully you can ride the motivation of not being able to train properly, far!

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

So got the all clear from my ECG late last week so looks like this marathon is on! Thinking Christchurch full at this stage and maybe just the Gold Coast half marathon if we end up coming over but still a slight possibility I’ll try for the full at the GC too. Will see how I go with some long runs hopefully starting this weekend.
Had the City to surf (14km) on Sunday and despite feeling absolutely rubbish on every run since my brother passed a month ago I managed to go a minute quicker than last year and finish it in 55minutes 40secs. Felt pretty good probably went out a little easier than normal which meant I didn’t suffer as much in the second half
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

That's really good hear, Kiwi. And lol, pretty bloody solid time mate. You def still got it!