Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: What has made/ruined your day

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote: November 20, 2020, 6:47 am Made: had a dream with TR in it. Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
And I get accused of over sharing :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gergreg
Ricky Stuart

Post by gergreg »

Captain Punish wrote:
gergreg wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Lucy didn’t last long. As usual.
I bet his wife says something similar.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
She doesn't need to speak. The look of relief that it's over says it all.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Haha. My wife can't distinguish between when it's begun and when it's finished, so you're one up on me.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

T_R wrote:For your interest, I’ve decided to review my bus trip today.

Travelling in Japan, one of course expects to encounter a strictly traditionalist public transportation construct. But this was not to be, or at least it was not to be presented as such. Kobe Mass Transit indulges in an ironic play upon the concept of transport as performance art, sacrificing form for a brutalist post modern display of, dare I suggest, ruthless efficiency. Thus, there were no cheery conductors , no garbled cockney cries nor discarded ticket stubs to lend a historical authenticity to the journey. Indeed, there was little hustle and virtually no bustle.

The ‘bus stop’ construct was efficient (‘Damned!’, I hear you cry, ‘With the faintest of praises’). I will not be claimed a picayune, I am sure, to say that I found the experience lacking a certain style. The bus ran to schedule. It was clean. The driver greeted with a cheery “Konnichiwa”. This note of unreality lent itself to distraction. Is it possible to allow oneself for immersion in an experience where the form has sacrificed so much to the function?

The ride had a certain intentional boredom to it, a Warholesque fatigue that did nothing initially but highlight the pleasures of the journey. This was in stark contrast to the almost hyperbolic view from the windows. Was this truly a Japanese streetscape, or merely a pandering to my perceptions of such? Whatever the case, the chaos of the outside world sat uncomfortably with the minimalism within, and the fatigue segued into boredom and thus became longing. Was this a comment on aging, indeed of life itself? Was the stage being crassly set for an all too obvious final ‘birthing’? Perhaps I credit Kobe Mass Transit with too much, but the metaphor was stark. Was it overplayed?

Eventually, the arrival was short, too choreographed, even too lacking in trauma in its movements to suggest the obvious birth metaphor. But there was a latent humanism in the shuffle to the door. ‘Nay’ it cried ‘tarry not! Move! Push!’, but it left so little time, so little emotional space to reflect upon the grotesque environmental sculpture to which we were disgorged (even birthed?), that one was left unfulfilled, left holding out for more.

The answer (so blatant in its presentation, was this a Thibaultian deliberate insult, a passing moment of ugly rhetoric to leave one demanding more?) was simple. Ride again. Return to whence you came.

And thus I did, transported physically yet left emotionally unmoved. Did I ask too much?
I took a bus today, but was not motivated to review the experience.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

T_R wrote:
T_R wrote:For your interest, I’ve decided to review my bus trip today.

Travelling in Japan, one of course expects to encounter a strictly traditionalist public transportation construct. But this was not to be, or at least it was not to be presented as such. Kobe Mass Transit indulges in an ironic play upon the concept of transport as performance art, sacrificing form for a brutalist post modern display of, dare I suggest, ruthless efficiency. Thus, there were no cheery conductors , no garbled cockney cries nor discarded ticket stubs to lend a historical authenticity to the journey. Indeed, there was little hustle and virtually no bustle.

The ‘bus stop’ construct was efficient (‘Damned!’, I hear you cry, ‘With the faintest of praises’). I will not be claimed a picayune, I am sure, to say that I found the experience lacking a certain style. The bus ran to schedule. It was clean. The driver greeted with a cheery “Konnichiwa”. This note of unreality lent itself to distraction. Is it possible to allow oneself for immersion in an experience where the form has sacrificed so much to the function?

The ride had a certain intentional boredom to it, a Warholesque fatigue that did nothing initially but highlight the pleasures of the journey. This was in stark contrast to the almost hyperbolic view from the windows. Was this truly a Japanese streetscape, or merely a pandering to my perceptions of such? Whatever the case, the chaos of the outside world sat uncomfortably with the minimalism within, and the fatigue segued into boredom and thus became longing. Was this a comment on aging, indeed of life itself? Was the stage being crassly set for an all too obvious final ‘birthing’? Perhaps I credit Kobe Mass Transit with too much, but the metaphor was stark. Was it overplayed?

Eventually, the arrival was short, too choreographed, even too lacking in trauma in its movements to suggest the obvious birth metaphor. But there was a latent humanism in the shuffle to the door. ‘Nay’ it cried ‘tarry not! Move! Push!’, but it left so little time, so little emotional space to reflect upon the grotesque environmental sculpture to which we were disgorged (even birthed?), that one was left unfulfilled, left holding out for more.

The answer (so blatant in its presentation, was this a Thibaultian deliberate insult, a passing moment of ugly rhetoric to leave one demanding more?) was simple. Ride again. Return to whence you came.

And thus I did, transported physically yet left emotionally unmoved. Did I ask too much?
I took a bus today, but was not motivated to review the experience.

Bus wanker.

BJ
Ruben Wiki

Post by BJ »

I went to catch a bus at my local Tuggeranong bus stop and I’m still waiting for the bus to arrive 18 months later.

Has anything important happened in the world since then?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahahaha... Tuggeranong
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
BJ
Ruben Wiki

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:Hahahahahaha... Tuggeranong
Tuggeranong. It’s nice is some pockets.

Certainly it’s less Cargo pants style large multiple pockets and more that tiny little useless square pocket you have near your right jeans pocket.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

What's a pocket? I only wear spandex.

BJ
Ruben Wiki

Post by BJ »

Lucy wrote:What's a pocket? I only wear spandex.

Welcome to beyond the Hyperdome!
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Reading an article about what foreigners think of Australia, the section on wildlife is a predictable laugh.

Foreigners like to comment on how deadly our wildlife is, but frankly I'd generally take ours over theirs. As deadly as ours can be, respect the animal and it should leave you alone - we don't have any large land-based predators. If you go wandering off the beaten path in North America there's a bunch of stuff in the woods that'll happily kill and eat you.
:!: Warning: poster is incapable of humour, engage with at your own risk. Symptoms of engagement may include frustration, mental imbalance and temporary insanity.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sterlk wrote:Reading an article about what foreigners think of Australia, the section on wildlife is a predictable laugh.

Foreigners like to comment on how deadly our wildlife is, but frankly I'd generally take ours over theirs. As deadly as ours can be, respect the animal and it should leave you alone - we don't have any large land-based predators. If you go wandering off the beaten path in North America there's a bunch of stuff in the woods that'll happily kill and eat you.
Spot on. I went hiking in Japan and had to carry a bell to warn the bears I was coming. I nearly stepped on a snack two days ago while running in the bush, but I always carry a snake bandage and if bitten will almost certainly survive. And snakes are only around for half the year.
gergreg
Ricky Stuart

Post by gergreg »

Was a common theme in the US. But those brown bears are freaking massive. I'd sooner stumble upon a snake than a bear.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Fuifui Bradbrad
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

Yeah give me Sharks over Bears any day. Heard a story once where a Bear knocked a cyclist off his bike. The cyclist panicked and legged it. Later that night, he went back to retrieve the bike, and the Bear was waiting and attacked him.

It’s a no from me
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021