What has made/ruined your day

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: What has made/ruined your day

Post by The Nickman »

Made: Broncos getting their arses handed to them in a preliminary final.

Made: Melbourne made it to another GF
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm happy the Broncos are out. Don't like the Storm much, but much prefer them winning than any Sydney or Brisbane team.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The problem with Melbourne making another GF is that it just reinforces that ugly, spoiling, wrestling tactics are the way to succeed in the NRL, rather than enterprising, expansive and entertaining football. The Storm really have been a blight on the game.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Dr Zaius wrote:The problem with Melbourne making another GF is that it just reinforces that ugly, spoiling, wrestling tactics are the way to succeed in the NRL, rather than enterprising, expansive and entertaining football. The Storm really have been a blight on the game.
Couldn't. Agree. More.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Happy birthday Dubs.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Doctor, it makes me sick, but we must continue to turn a blind eye to 1st the salary cap cheating then the blatantly brainwashing of referees to continue to grow the game in Melbourne, while the heartland numbers continually fall away shrivel and die. Can't you see this is great for the game, I mean who doesn't love watching the same team year in and year out red carpeted to the GF it's fantastic stuff.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

**** everything ATM, movies are ****, Australian sports are boring as **** I'm more about long walks in the wilderness ATM.
This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Question wrote:Doctor, it makes me sick, but we must continue to turn a blind eye to 1st the salary cap cheating then the blatantly brainwashing of referees to continue to grow the game in Melbourne, while the heartland numbers continually fall away shrivel and die. Can't you see this is great for the game, I mean who doesn't love watching the same team year in and year out red carpeted to the GF it's fantastic stuff.
Question wrote:**** everything ATM, movies are ****, Australian sports are boring as **** I'm more about long walks in the wilderness ATM.
I love you Matty old dog.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Fog walks for us through the wilderness... I'm in.
This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just gotta be careful with those fog walks

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Made: Saw Elton John perform live last night. It was amazing! Confirmed my theory that live music should be on Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Ruined: It was in Wollongong

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Ruined: last minute emergency trip to Rocky tomorrow morning, they normally give me at least a week to psyche myself up for it.

Made: only there for 4 days instead of the usual couple of weeks.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote:The problem with Melbourne making another GF is that it just reinforces that ugly, spoiling, wrestling tactics are the way to succeed in the NRL, rather than enterprising, expansive and entertaining football. The Storm really have been a blight on the game.
The storm run the most complicated and intricate offence in the game

They spoil the **** out of opponents attack, but thats sort of their job haha
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

It's not nfl pig

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:It's not nfl pig
Why not?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Made: three more days of work and then two days off

Ruined: three more days of work
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:
dubby wrote:It's not nfl pig
Why not?
I'm not sure.

Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Made: Long Weekend this weekend Woohoo!!!

Ruined: Thinking about all the home improvement tasks i have to do over the long weekend... Man being an adult sucks sometimes!
I found a moon rock in my nose....
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah me too, home improvement is in my Made bucket though. Been in the place for a year and I'm still working away to get the place ready for turf.

I'm a good long weekend away from having it where I need it to be.

Nickman's love of NSW
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Made: long weekend

Ruined: business meetings on Monday anyway
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

reptar wrote:Made: long weekend

Me too.

This is an outrage.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:

Me too.

This is an outrage.
Someone ought to tell the Prime Minister!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

reptar wrote:
T_R wrote:

Me too.

This is an outrage.
Someone ought to tell the Prime Minister!
Can't....He's on holiday

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

This is outrageous! How would the country survive without him for a day?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Yeah me too, home improvement is in my Made bucket though. Been in the place for a year and I'm still working away to get the place ready for turf.

An update on this, Casa del Fui is finally ready for soil and turf. After battling the hottest summer in January, then the wettest February, then deciding I needed to build a wall, it's ready. Pretty chuffed I did it all myself, with just weekends to work on it.

Just need to get concrete poured down one side of the house and I'll be getting it done. Concrete is beyond my skill set me thinks

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Yeah me too, home improvement is in my Made bucket though. Been in the place for a year and I'm still working away to get the place ready for turf.

An update on this, Casa del Fui is finally ready for soil and turf. After battling the hottest summer in January, then the wettest February, then deciding I needed to build a wall, it's ready. Pretty chuffed I did it all myself, with just weekends to work on it.

Just need to get concrete poured down one side of the house and I'll be getting it done. Concrete is beyond my skill set me thinks
Did Mexico pay for it?
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

Nice one mate. Sounds like a productive weekend.

Chateau De Dibbers has new toilet seats (on 3 toilets), New shower heads (in 2 bathrooms), a mowed lawn, trimmed hedges, vacuumed carpets, mopped floors, 2 clean cars and a PS4 thats finally plugged in (after moving in to the new place in April...) That was all i could fit in around family gatherings,shopping and a date afternoon/evening with the missus....

My garage still looks like a bomb site, and i didn't get to put up all our old junk on gumtree to get rid of it, but I'm not playing cricket over the next fortnight (opponents have withdrawn from the competition) so i'll have another 2 weekends to work on it...

Deperately wanting to turn my garage into a little woodworking shop, but need space first... and copious amounts of money to buy power tools... that **** is expensive!
I found a moon rock in my nose....
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah, my garage is one of the next projects once the front and backyards are done. The other one is putting a deck on the side of the house. We have a big sliding door off the dining room, and I want a deck there. It's the same side I want to get concreted, so that'll be a good base for a Bunnings modular deck.

But I'm frantically trying to come up with a hobby, so the garage can be my base of operations. I was thinking woodworking station. My dad had a lathe and I would make bowls and goblets when I was a kid. I thought it would be a good way to get back into it.

My other option is Home Brewing. One garage wall backs onto the toilet and laundry, and I was thinking of getting a plumber to put a sink in the garage for cooling down the keg.

3rd option is a bit obscure. I had a New Years resolution to learn the harmonica. Haven't had a place to practice and I've been slack. So music station perhaps.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

Did Mexico pay for it?
I'm trying, don't know where to send the invoice.
Looks good but, for someone who's never done a retaining wall. The builder put the slab on top of the land, rather than cutting into the land if that makes sense. It resulted in our house being higher up than the others, and our driveway being steepish.

Was hating it, until we realised it gave us an opportunity to build a wall and stand out from the street

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

A question for any landscapers out there

This is the view from the front of Casa Del Fui. On the other side of the pebbles and pavers, I'm planning to put turf down, with a garden bed at the front of the wall.

Mrs Fui has expressed concern about the wonkiness of the edging. Fair call also, it was hard unrolling that stuff, and then trying to get some sort of shape out of it. I have 2 theories I'm hoping I can get confirmed;
1. It looks worse at the moment because the pebbles are higher than the other side. So when I put in the turf, I would be able to use the soil to push against the edging and straighten it out that way.

2. When the soil and turf is in, you won't see the wonky edging bottom, just the line on top.

Am I right, or is a redo on the cards here?

Nickman's love of NSW
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Leave it when the turf hugs it it all look good. Straight lines are for nerd anyways.
This place is woke.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Ruined: credit card fraud. Now without a card for a week.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

What has made/ruined your day

Post by gangrenous »

reptar wrote:Ruined: credit card fraud. Now without a card for a week.
That'll teach you not to visit those dodgy websites reptar ImageImage
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:
reptar wrote:Ruined: credit card fraud. Now without a card for a week.
That'll teach you not to visit those dodgy websites reptar ImageImage
Ha. More likely it was skimmed while I was in the US.

Made: at least that inconvenience is counterbalanced by not having to fork up the $7k they tried to steal
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Thank God i don't have a credit card