Cool technology

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Cool technology

Post by Manbush »

Reading a few articles on their near future plans, first is building full size working Gundams (cost estimates $750mil each) and second is manning the moon with robots to build a space station by 2020, love the Japs :thumbsup

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... ld-Gundams

http://phys.org/news194274570.html
Last edited by Manbush on November 11, 2012, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Japan and their robots

Post by dubby »

TR is part cyborg.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

T_R has been camping in the rain at Stradbroke Island for the last couple of days. If TR is part cyborg, he's bloody rusty.

Caught some nice fish, though.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Japan would never build cyborgs that go rusty.

And you did NOT catch those fish; you scared them to death.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

T_R wrote:T_R has been camping in the rain at Stradbroke Island for the last couple of days. If TR is part cyborg, he's bloody rusty.

Caught some nice fish, though.
fantastic weather for you. Its poured down here the last few days.

Are they building these to help protect Earth from the Decepticons
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Anyone have a spare $1.3 mil they can loan me, either control by riding inside or via your phone, your own personal weaponised robot

The Kuratas

Last edited by Manbush on December 17, 2012, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Re: Cool technology

Post by Manbush »

World’s first 3D printing photo booth to open in Japan

3D printers – it’s a word that offers glimpses into the future that seems so far, and yet is so close. The technology, which allows you to replicate 3D objects the same way you make a photo copy, has been around for a couple years now, but, for the most part, has been far too expensive and inaccessible to the public.

But now, what’s being called the world’s first 3D printing photo booth is set to open for a limited time at the exhibition space EYE OF GYRE in Harajuku. From November 24 to January 14, 2013, people with reservations can go and have their portraits taken. Except, instead of a photograph, you’ll receive miniature replicas of yourselves.

Reservations are taken only through the website. You can pick from 3 sizes, S (10cm), M (15cm) and L (20cm) for 21,000 yen, 32,000 yen and 42,000 yen, respectively. But there are group discounts! This would be really fun to do with your kids, who seem to grow up just way too fast.

http://www.spoon-tamago.com/2012/11/09/ ... -in-japan/

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Mentioned the 3D printer in another thread so I thought Id show some examples here

3D bike

3D printshow London 2012

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

I saw this on a show only a few weeks ago. Amazing stuff
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Cool technology

Post by Please »

I call fraud.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Raidersrawesome wrote:I saw this on a show only a few weeks ago. Amazing stuff
Yep it's been around for ages and most people have never heard of it, so much potential
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Goalkeeper toilet!

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Only you mate :lol:
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Robot metal :clap:

Put it in music thread but belongs here as well
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Wow the future implications of the 3D printers just reached new levels

Scientists print 3D object with stem cells

Scientists say they have printed 3D objects using human embryonic stem cells for the first time, furthering the quest to fabricate transplantable organs.
Once fine-tuned, the technology should allow scientists to make three-dimensional human tissue in the lab, eliminating the need for organ donation or testing on animals, they reported.
Human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) can replicate indefinitely and become almost any type of cell in the human body.

They are touted as a source of replacement tissue, fixing nearly anything from malfunctioning hearts and lungs, to damaged spines, Parkinson's disease or even baldness.
Scientists have previously tested 3D printing, which uses inkjet technology, with other types of cells, including adult stem cells.

But until now hESCs, which are more versatile than mature ones, have proven too fragile.
"This is a scientific development which we hope and believe will have immense valuable long-term implications for reliable, animal-free drug testing and in the longer term, to provide organs for transplant on demand," said Jason King from British stem cell company Roslin Cellab, which took part in the work.

The team used a specially-designed "valve-based" printer that deposited a "bio ink" of liquid containing laboratory-cultivated hESCs.

The cells are forced out with a tiny blast of air, and the flow is controlled by the opening and closing of a microvalve.

"We are able to print millions of cells within minutes," said co-author Will Shu of the Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh.

"The printer is similar to the size of a standard desktop-size laser printer."
The living cells are printed onto a culture dish and left to aggregate together to form "what we call a spheroid, like ... a little ball," said Shu.

Each spheroid was smaller than a millimetre.

The study appears in Biofabrication, a journal published by Britain's Institute of Physics.
The experiment was not designed to create anything but to demonstrate a method that did not damage the delicate cells.

"Most importantly, the printed hESCs maintained their pluripotency – the ability to be differentiated into any other cell type," said the Institute.

Theoretically, the team can print any shape, but is not yet able to recreate a human organ, which needs a mesh of blood vessels.

"The challenge for printing a whole organ is to have this vascular structure inside it to feed it, allowing the tissue to survive in the long term," explained Shu. "We have our first step towards that."
Another big hurdle is fine-tuning the science of instructing embryonic stem cells to become specific types of tissue.

In the short term, said Shu, his team is seeking to print 3D liver tissue, which has one of the simplest of biological structures.

This could then be used for laboratory drug testing, "which would hopefully eliminate the use of animals", he said.

"I expect this technology can be realised in one or two years' time."
One idea behind the search for replacement organs is to grow the cells using a patient's own DNA to avert transplant rejection.

But the sector has been dogged by objections over the use of early-stage embryos, where the most adaptable, or pluripotent, cells are found.

http://m.theage.com.au/technology/sci-t ... 2dxkw.html

3D printing meets nanotechnology

http://www.techarta.com/7955/3d-printin ... ology.html

And 3D printed dinner!

http://m.cnet.com/news/3d-printed-meat- ... 93377?ds=1
Please
Gary Belcher

Cool technology

Post by Please »

Imagine when we will be able to get another liver by printer. That will solve all problems.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Luffty wrote:Imagine when we will be able to get another liver by printer. That will solve all problems.
And steak mate!
Please
Gary Belcher

Cool technology

Post by Please »

You have me salivating at the thought of an electronic steak.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

How about a clone of Meninga? You'd need about a 5 km of diamond wire-cable to replace the sinew in his thighs alone.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Would spend the whole cap just on him alone
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

LIFX bulb switches on and off with iPhone app

A WI-FI-enabled light bulb that's controlled by mobile phone and glows one million colours sounds like something straight out of The Jetsons, but in just a few months the Aussie invention will be lighting up homes across the world.

Created by Melbourne designer Phil Bosua, 38, the LIFX bulb screws into existing light fittings and connects to your home's wi-fi network, allowing you to switch it on and off, dim it and change its colour all from a simple smartphone app.

The energy efficient LED bulbs can also be programmed to gradually turn on or off to wake you up or help you sleep, and can even turn your house into a nightclub by syncing your lighting to music.

Dreamed up over drinks with a mate, Bosua's bulb has gone from crazy concept to worldwide best seller in just 12 months thanks to an online fundraising campaign which saw him rake in more than $1.3 million in sales in less than a week.

Now he has 18 full time staff working in Melbourne and Palo Alto, California, and the first batch of 25,000 LIFX bulbs is being readied to ship out in June.

''I think the light bulb was ready for reinvention, it was probably overdue, which is probably why people took to it so quickly and so passionately,'' he said.

At $79 each they're about 20 times more expensive than a regular light bulb - although over 25-years they work out to a little more than $3 a year.

Bosua says LIFX isn't so much the evolution of the light bulb as a ''revolution''.

''We think it will change people's behaviour, the way they actually use their lights in their house,'' he said.

''We parallel it a bit to going from black and white TV to colour TV, we think it will have that big an impact.''

He says it won't be long before coloured lights move out of restaurants and nightclubs and into everyday homes.

''Half the reason we go to (restaurants and nightclubs), we probably don't realise but it's because of the atmosphere that's created and coloured lighting is a large part of it,'' he said.

''Once the sun goes down I never have plain, white light in my home anymore - if we're having a glass of wine after dinner, we like a nice burnt orange or even a lavender, which is a bit more refreshing.

''We think once people experience it they'll want to take that same feeling into their own home on a daily basis.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/techno ... 6613544578
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

haha I was going to start a thread like this but you beat me to it. Oh my I so so want that 3D printer that does the human models, I've got a 44" Inch Canvas Printer and will soon have a Roland BN-20 which does Decals / Shirt Transfers... All i need is a 3D printer and i'll be set. There's a model of 3D printers that allows you print using empty milk bottles. Once they become more user friendly there's going to be a massive market for them.

If I was rich I will own these two.

http://seabreacher.com/
http://www.jetlev.com
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Today marks a major point in the history of mankind, for years scientists have stated that lightsabers are impossible and could never exist but no more with the binding of photons :thumbsup

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 132323.htm
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

Not as interesting as the stuff mentioned above but I remote controlled my PC to acquire Breaking Bad with my phone, whilst sitting in a lecture at uni.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sure you did, Bay.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Hoverboards finally :thumbsup

Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

About bloody time.

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

**** hey

"Scientists in the US have successfully linked the brains of six people, allowing one person to control the hands of another using just their thoughts."

Read more http://iphone.sciencealert.com.au/news/ ... 26469.html
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Manbush wrote:**** hey

"Scientists in the US have successfully linked the brains of six people, allowing one person to control the hands of another using just their thoughts."

Read more http://iphone.sciencealert.com.au/news/ ... 26469.html
You seem to have the same news feeds as me.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Not quite, I don't get your suss ones :lol:

How do I sign up for em?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

How long did it take the signals to transfer into hand movements? About a second?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Manbush wrote:Not quite, I don't get your suss ones :lol:

How do I sign up for em?

Most of it pretty much ends up on the GH. It's what TR employs me to do on this site.

Or you can find it on twitter if you want to sift through all the ideological qanda tweets :lol:
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/you-may-soon ... 63-11.html

You may soon be able to turn your skin into a smartphone display

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

This is the first step in how the world gets taken over by robots.

Google’s New ‘Dog Robot’

http://www.unilad.co.uk/video/googles-n ... realistic/
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

USA versus Japan in a giant robot fight coming soon

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2015/07/06/ ... el-videos/