The Restaurant Thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

The Restaurant Thread

Post by Nick »

Keen to hear about everyone's favourite restaurant's locally or abroad. I've got loads of great ones in sydney and since moving to canberra have found its one of the real strengths of the town

Tonight i went to a new place at the recently renovated Kingston Foreshore.
Wild Duck.
Im used to eating Chinese food as a take away or in a dingy fast service style places in China Town, but this was a bit different. The meals were much finer dinning then you'd expect for Chinese food.
The service was fantastic, very attentive and quick. I had a pork skewers, crispy skin duck and a chocolate moose for desert. All very good.
Wine list looked good but im on call this weekend so could only indulge in one glass.

Entree's and deserts go for around $16-18 and mains are around $30, so a bit more expensive for chinese
Highly recommend those in canberra give it a go.

So, tell me about your favourites
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: The Restaurant Thread

Post by Schifty »

How did it compare to that Chinese Place that used to be at the tradies :lol:

How did the portion compare?

Were you able to get 1 kilo plates of rice :lol:
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Don't know about best but can give you one to avoid, let me tell you a story....

I was a dishpig at LaScala in Garema place when I was at uni; one night we got smashed and ran out of bread. The chef told me to go and borrow some from Happy's Chinese restaurant next door. I went down the stairs to ask and, much to my disgust, saw an old Chinese bloke with his dacks aroung his ankle while sitting on the john in the middle of a number 2 "Sitting"- door wide open. Fair enough, maybe, but he had a bucket of prawns on the floor in front of him that he was peeling at the same time. Talk about multitasking!. Some other kitchen hand ended up chasing me out of the restaurant not understanding my request and mistaking me for a bum of the street begging me for bread.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

It's the 'undiscovered' ones that always get me.

There's a little place in the hinterland outside Noosa called 'Maison Provence' which will make you cry out with joy. In fact, here's my review of it: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... sland.html They actually have a Michelin Star chef there on weekends. You have to try this food to believe it... the 58 degree baked ocean trout was just insane.

Another time I stumbled on a Michelin Star place was in Kobe (actually Sanomiya). Awesome little place without even a sign on the door, seating a maximum of 8. The food was the best I've ever tried, and the chef spends half the night drinking sake with you talking about the meal. It's as close to a religious experience as you'll have in a restaurant.

I've eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world over the years, but it's the serendipity of finding a 'new' place that does it for me every time.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Begbie wrote:Don't know about best but can give you one to avoid, let me tell you a story....

I was a dishpig at LaScala in Garema place when I was at uni; one night we got smashed and ran out of bread. The chef told me to go and borrow some from Happy's Chinese restaurant next door. I went down the stairs to ask and, much to my disgust, saw an old Chinese bloke with his dacks aroung his ankle while sitting on the john in the middle of a number 2 "Sitting"- door wide open. Fair enough, maybe, but he had a bucket of prawns on the floor in front of him that he was peeling at the same time. Talk about multitasking!. Some other kitchen hand ended up chasing me out of the restaurant not understanding my request and mistaking me for a bum of the street begging me for bread.
But at least the service was quick
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

thanks for that, Begbie! Happy's was my stepfather's favourite restaurant (gourmet he is not) and I believe "Honey" prawns were his favourite. :lol:
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Sure you would have been to the Spirit House in Maleny than TR?

Beach Burrito in Bondi is amazing if your around that area ever :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Portia's Place the best Chinese in Canberra. And it hasn't changed since Portia left.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dugan - In Yandina? Nice setting for the restaurant, but I think it's pretty overrated. Bloody expensive for what you get, too.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

The Restaurant Thread

Post by bonehead »

Crackers in San Francisco, in a country lacking decent cuisine this place was insane! Circa 2003 anyway.
Living on the edge of the hunter valley vineyards we find somewhere new every few weeks. Amanda's on the edge a current fave.
Tallwoods at diamond beach tuncurry area also high quality.
Edrick The Entertainer
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Sorry TR, yes Yandina it is indeed.

Very nice setting but you're right about the price of the joint.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

E' Pulera in Lipari, Da Adolfo in postano, la casalinga in Florence, Hotel Belvedere in Lago di como.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Oh and dont ask for the wine list at the belvedere, ask for luca the head waiter as he is the wine list.
This place is woke.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Thanh Huong II in Marrickville - go the squid with Lemongrass and chilli.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

We went out to Rubicon a few weeks ago before the Knights game for my B'day and i have to say it was absolutely fantastic.
Their degustation was great, most ive been too prior had a set menu but at Rubicon you could pick any 7 dishes off their menu for the degustation.
The service was great, food was fantastic, not sure on the price as it was part of my b'day so i didnt get a look at the bill but i dont imagine it was cheap.

In terms of Griffith shops, i prefered Aubigine, which i went to about a year ago, but both were absolutely brilliant and we'll be heading back to both over the years.

Heading out to Courgette on saturday night this week, heard great things about it, good friend of mine who is a bit of a foodie recons it's his favourite, so hopefully it lives up to its rep. The menu looks absolutely fantastic
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Aubergine and Rubicon both very good. Sage near Civic as well.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

Ellacure, Sage, and The Ottoman are all pretty good in my experience. Not the hugest fan of Turkish fare so will just take my colleagues word on the Ottoman, but it seemed pretty good. Sage portions are a bit of a joke and it's probably the most expensive of the lot. Waiter was an absolute bell-end as well. Ellacure food was good but the room set-up could use some re-jigging.

I'll be checking out Rubicon in early July for a work do so will come back with my findings.

I have to say though, Courgette is far and away the finest dining experience I've had in this fine city. Sensational, just sensational. I actually struggled to comprehend the flavour experience that was occurring in my mouth, I was left speechless by it.
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Bay56 wrote:cant understand people who come in here and whinge
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It's been a few years but Courgette and the Ottoman were both fantastic.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ottoman is good, but somehow Turkish food doesn't seem that complex. Courgette is good.
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

Only been to ottoman once, got like 8 small servings of weird stuff. Not bogan friendly IMO.

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

KW wrote:Only been to ottoman once, got like 8 small servings of weird stuff. Not bogan friendly IMO.

KW
Central caf.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Italian and sons. Best Italian restaurant in Canberra. Outstanding.

Here's a review which is on the mark: http://citynews.com.au/2012/arts-entert ... fast-lane/
Irwinfletch
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

The Restaurant Thread

Post by Irwinfletch »

I actually thought about moving back to Canberra to open an Italian restaurant at some point, has the food improved over the years? Last Italian I went to in Canberra was a restaurant across from Phillip Ice skating wasn't overly impressed.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Decorous Muse wrote:Ellacure, Sage, and The Ottoman are all pretty good in my experience. Not the hugest fan of Turkish fare so will just take my colleagues word on the Ottoman, but it seemed pretty good. Sage portions are a bit of a joke and it's probably the most expensive of the lot. Waiter was an absolute bell-end as well. Ellacure food was good but the room set-up could use some re-jigging.

I'll be checking out Rubicon in early July for a work do so will come back with my findings.

I have to say though, Courgette is far and away the finest dining experience I've had in this fine city. Sensational, just sensational. I actually struggled to comprehend the flavour experience that was occurring in my mouth, I was left speechless by it.
Make sure you try the Bourbon oysters and a visit to the cheese room, fantastic experience.
SubLime Green
Ruben Wiki

Post by SubLime Green »

Morks in Florey has been excellent every time I've been there.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Irwinfletch wrote:I actually thought about moving back to Canberra to open an Italian restaurant at some point, has the food improved over the years? Last Italian I went to in Canberra was a restaurant across from Phillip Ice skating wasn't overly impressed.
Bullici's isnt too bad mate
I've been there a few times. It's good for a quick decent meal that wont cost you the earth. Not really fine dinning though
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

On this subject, I'm about to expand my field of crushing professional failure and open up a cafe in Perth.

I've never done anything like this before and am scared to death, but for a lot of reasons it's not something I can really say no to.

So give me some crowd sourced advice. What makes a good cafe, and what makes a bad one?

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

You need a simple siganature dish that will make you stand out from the rest. Most cafe menus seem to be identicle these days.

Maybe something like a deep fried sandwich...
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

really simple but good coffee and good staff. Well it should be simple. It's amazing how many absolute tools work in the industry, and how hard it is to find a cup of the good stuff
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

just don't hang bicycles on the wall and get people to sit on milk crates. Actually maybe do exactly that, they seem pretty popular these days for some reason :(
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

What i love in cafe's is really interesting food
My favourite cafe in canberra is Lookout Cafe at Red Hill and the reason is the menu has some quick, easy but different food.
Another big one for me is the vibe of the joint, which i find directly relates with its location and outlook. There is a couple of absolute cracking cafe's in coogee and bondi, the reason is not so much the food which is good but not great, but you're looking out on the beaches, always plenty of people around and on a bright sunny day there is just a genuine buzz around those areas.

Perth whilst ive not been there yet, id imagine is the same sort of deal. Sunny weather, beautiful beaches, fun vibe. Id say you want to make sure your in a nice location with a bit of buzz around the area and try to go for simple foods by be inventive with it. Instead of a standard steak sandwich with tom sauce, get your chef to create his own relish, and try and match some different salads to get a new taste. Little changes to standard dishes to people something different. Instead of a ceaser salad, do something like a cajan chicken ceaser salad. Your chef should have some ideas brewing in his head about things he can do.

In saying that, you've got to cater for the tradie and his wife too, wife wants something new, the tradie just wants a good honest burger and chips.

Common sense stuff now but dont over price your food. You're not a hatted resturaunt, you're a cafe, so dont charge me $25 for handful of chips and burger.
Dont cram too many seats in, nothing worse than trying to eat feeling like you're a tin a sardines.
Be licensed and make sure you make a good coffee. Loads of people love stopping in at a cafe for lunch and having a wine or beer, and more people will want a good coffee

Generic menu's turn me off a cafe. If i can slap together your meal at home easy enough, why would i pay good money to eat at your cafe?
Allow adaquate space so that people can feel like they can have a conversation without feeling like the person next to them will hear them.
Offer something a little bit different in terms of menu to your standard cafe, otherwise you'll get lost in the crowd.
Make sure your staff is friendly/bubbly and attentive. Ive lost count of how many cafes we've walked out and said we'd never go back due to poor service and rude staff.

Hope that helps.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

haha I thought you said friendly/bubbly and attractive.

So yeah, that too
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

attractive cant hurt
low cut tops and short skirts will get me in to a cafe most days :lol:
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

umm those places you're entering aren't cafes...
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

I was wondering why my food never arrived.