Depression and mental health

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Depression and mental health

Post by Manbush »

Thought I'd move the reply here and keep the other thread lighthearted as intended.
Archer wrote:
Manbush wrote:You've just described how I'll die if I ever win the lotto :cry:
:lol: :clap:
I think you're taking this latest Clique attack pretty well Bushy.
Mate hasn't been easy and uncharacteristically I did lash out. This year has been an absolute **** of a year bad **** after bad **** happening building up the Raiders have basically been the only positive thing in my life this year.

Recently I've only just been holding on and I didn't like how I reacted, have to make a concerted effort to remember what makes me me, not easy at times when emotionally and physically drained.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:Chamomile is really effective, but it tastes like you're drinking a flower
I'll definitely give this a crack
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

My fuse is shorter but life is better, pressures at work don't let up though working for s traditional mining sector manufacturer
Edrick The Entertainer
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

This thread is a fantastic display of how incredible this forum is.
I have been through a very deep depression quite some years ago and came out the other side. If you are still struggling just remember that its ok to use the people around you and take the time to work on yourself.
If I could give any advice it would be to just enjoy the little things and remember everything given is earned, so if you are given it you earned it.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Manbush wrote:Thought I'd move the reply here and keep the other thread lighthearted as intended.
Archer wrote:
Manbush wrote:You've just described how I'll die if I ever win the lotto :cry:
:lol: :clap:
I think you're taking this latest Clique attack pretty well Bushy.
Mate hasn't been easy and uncharacteristically I did lash out. This year has been an absolute **** of a year bad **** after bad **** happening building up the Raiders have basically been the only positive thing in my life this year.

Recently I've only just been holding on and I didn't like how I reacted, have to make a concerted effort to remember what makes me me, not easy at times when emotionally and physically drained.
Hang in there bushy and please don't take anything I post here to heart or anyone else for that matter. If it is getting to you get off the forums for a bit and get back into real life.

Are you any chance of making it down for a finals game? If so let know, I'd love to buy you a beer!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Nah mate very rare I take anything to heart. I've always suffered from really low blood pressure so it's probably good for me to lose it every now and again, Nickman can be my medication though I'm guessing he can cause psychosis, need to see if any studies have been done or perhaps the good doc could confirm this.

Very slim chance I'll make it down, New Years rez will be to make it down for a few in 2017.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Manbush wrote:Nah mate very rare I take anything to heart. I've always suffered from really low blood pressure so it's probably good for me to lose it every now and again, Nickman can be my medication though I'm guessing he can cause psychosis, need to see if any studies have been done or perhaps the good doc could confirm this.

Very slim chance I'll make it down, New Years rez will be to make it down for a few in 2017.
Just stare into Nickman's baby blues and all else fades away

Just like cosby
Edrick The Entertainer
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Manbush wrote:Nah mate very rare I take anything to heart. I've always suffered from really low blood pressure so it's probably good for me to lose it every now and again, Nickman can be my medication though I'm guessing he can cause psychosis, need to see if any studies have been done or perhaps the good doc could confirm this.

If we make the grand final make sure you are there. I know I will. These things are too rare to miss when you're a diehard. And the one thing that goes for everyone on here is that we are all far too involved in the raiders for our own health and well being! As a result of that we have to make the good times count!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It's a well documented fact that both frequent or high level exposure to Nickman increase risk of psychosis.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Since I've been off my meds I've been feeling depressed again and having pretty massive anxiety. My brain trying to do all it can to stop me from going to any social situation. I love the run the Raiders are having right now but it's come at a bad time for me personally. I had a goal to make it to all the Raiders finals games. My old man can't come so I might meet someone there or maybe not. Just the thought of going to a big public place alone has got me freaking out. It's ridiculous!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GH... I feel for you mate. Be strong. You'll get through.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

GH .. stick in there mate

Do all you can to get to the finals games mate. Unfortunately this is a condition that feeds of itself.

Do you live in Canberra mate ?
I don't post facts
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I made it worse by telling friends that I was too busy this weekend. I wasn't though, I just didn't want to see anyone and it made it worse. Then after I push everyone away I think why the **** aren't people checking on me
Yeah I live in Canberra RF.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

GH .. you are not alone in what you are suffering mate .. there are plenty more in the same boat so don't think you are the strange one in the crowd.

What I will tell you will probably make sense to you but unfortunately depression is a mean bastard and flushes all that logical thinking away.

Been there done that mate so I know what you are going through. You have to break the cycle. Maybe my case was not as badges yours but to do so requires help from all those around you. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy (and that includes Pig .. that's a joke and I hope you laughed at it).

Mate if I can be of assistance PM me .. if I have some free time I will make some time to assist. Are you working atm. I'm thinking of catching a Raiders training session this week. If you want we can go together, get some fresh air.
I don't post facts
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

My head is unusual. Thoughts and feelings never ending.

I lost my mum just recently. Now the pain begins again.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dubs, it passes. It never entirely goes, but is passes.

Keep the faith, mate.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Hang in there dubby the real strength is in being able to talk about how you feel with other people not your ability to go it alone.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

So, its 2 weeks today I'm off anti depressants.

Side effects still linger, but I'm starting to feel a bit better.

Things are looking better. I'm feeling better.

Can I take this opportunity to apologise for any poor behavior I have demonstrated, and all offence I have caused. I take full accountability for my actions, even though that seems like a different person.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote:So, its 2 weeks today I'm off anti depressants.

Side effects still linger, but I'm starting to feel a bit better.

Things are looking better. I'm feeling better.

Can I take this opportunity to apologise for any poor behavior I have demonstrated, and all offence I have caused. I take full accountability for my actions, even though that seems like a different person.
Onwards and upwards, sir.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Thank you mate. I'll never forget your support. TR, you are a helluva guy.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Good to hear feeling better mate look after yourself.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Thanks bushy. Still some work to do.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Keep fighting the good fight dubby..

And always remember.

Wayne's mouth is on the side of his head..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Good work dubby!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Thanks lads. PJ....

A picture of Frank, or a story about him and violet would make my day

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I can tell ya a story Dubs ;) :lol:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:Thanks lads. PJ....

A picture of Frank, or a story about him and violet would make my dayImage
Violet has taken to jumping on top of the clothes hangers in the closet. Frank sat in the same place for an hour yesterday and just stated at the TV. Only moved when Violet tried to bite him for some unknown reason
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Manbush wrote:I can tell ya a story Dubs ;) Image
Does it involve monks?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

reptar wrote:

Violet has taken to jumping on top of the clothes hangers in the closet. Frank sat in the same place for an hour yesterday and just stated at the TV. Only moved when Violet tried to bite him for some unknown reason

I like this Violet. Crazy cat. Did Frank bite back?

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:
reptar wrote:

I like this Violet. Crazy cat. Did Frank bite back?
Frank chased her around the lounge room several times but gave up on it :)
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

There's a lot I'd like to say in regards to this area. I'm not sure where to start.

If anyone here is having problems with depression and or anxiety, please reach out. I'm here for you, and I understand what you're going thru.

You probably don't feel like it. Probably just want to hide it. Isolation is your friend, right? Avoiding people.

You may be acting in ways you don't understand. Saying and doing things totally unlike you.

Nothing brings you much joy. If any joy. Food is bland. You can't sit thru a movie. Restless. Agitated. Not sleeping.

I could go on.

You get it. You don't need judgement. You need to know you're not mad. You're not weird.

You're hurting.

But I'm here for you mate. Anytime you need someone, just PM me.

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

My girlfriend 17yo daughter is having her problems atm. Being a minor they are reluctant to offer a diagnosis, but everybody involved agrees she is in a bad way. Has threatened suicide twice this year.
It is affecting the family immensely and taking a large toll on quality of life of the 2 younger siblings. Mum is exhausted and stressed and there seems to be no end in sight. It is a truly horrible situation for all involved.
Not sure what I'm trying to say, just venting I guess. Thanks for the outlet. Cheers
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Thanks for sharing Magoo.

It's really hard for family and friends. My wife had a very hard time as well.

I've lost family to suicide, and had others attempt. It's a horrible feeling.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Thanks mate