Re: Depression and mental health

Post by greeneyed »

Yes.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

I've got the wedding of a friend I've known since school this weekend, I'm deeply, deeply considering blowing it off to come and meet GE.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Raider Bell wrote:I've got the wedding of a friend I've known since school this weekend, I'm deeply, deeply considering blowing it off to come and meet GE.
Your friend will understand
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Exactly. There'll be other weddings, and other childhood friends, but there's only ever one GE.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Besides, according to the ACL marriage might be worthless by Saturday night.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

reptar wrote:Besides, according to the ACL marriage might be worthless by Saturday night.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Or you could marry one of GE's cat's on Sunday night
Edrick The Entertainer
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

greeneyed wrote:I'll be in the members lounge for first half of NYC for anyone who wants to meet up.
I'll try get out there earlier so I can meet you, mate.

Bone, if you've not bought tickets yet I'll flick you my memberships as I don't need them this weekend.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I'll be in the members lounge for first half of NYC for anyone who wants to meet up.

Bone, if you've not bought tickets yet I'll flick you my memberships as I don't need them this weekend.
Mate that'd be gold!
Edrick The Entertainer
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

bonehead wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:

Mate that'd be gold!
No worries - pm me your number and I'll buzz you tomorrow re arranging to get them to you.

Easiest would be at the gate but I usually don't get out there until half an hour to hour prior - given you're travelling you might like to make an arvo of it and go out much earlier.

Either way we'll sort something out - got at least two for you.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

What is with this Canberra Raiders discussion the lime lounge? Mods!?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Green_Hammock wrote:What is with this Canberra Raiders discussion the lime lounge? Mods!?
Apologies
Edrick The Entertainer
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

I think the boss actually kicked things off with an invitation for a drink on Sunday :lol:

It's a monkey see, monkey do type situation.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

Been a while, how is everyone going?
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Hopefully the Raiders form of the past month has rejuvenated everyone's spirits.
I don't post facts
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It has mine, I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Can't stop smiling.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Hbomb wrote:Been a while, how is everyone going?
Hey mate,

Having a winning Raiders team makes a big difference. :)

Started new meds today after being on one for a few months that didn't work. Coming down off them was frightening, I had these weird electric shock feelings, terrible sleep, and just feeling awful.

Off to the psychologist Thursday and then to the shrink straight after, for a review of these new meds. I'm still having trouble sleeping sadly. I'm tired of being tired. And to top it off I had a cold the past week, so yeah. Not as bad as it sounds.

I'm truly thankful to you and everyone else who has offered support. It really means a lot. I still have moments when I get really down, but hopefully things improve soon. Again, thank you lads for your time and support. It makes a big difference.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

I have those weird electric shock feelings as well dubs! Whenever I miss my meds. Glad things are getting better!
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

Yep I got those shocks on Cymbalta even if I missed a dose by one hour. And it took over a month after finishing it up for those shocks to go away.
The new ones I'm on don't give me any side effects and while it's good, I don't have that reminder that I've missed taking it.
1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I was on mirtazapine, now cymbalta.
I'm feeling absolutely tired right now.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Good luck with it, dubby - hope it makes a difference!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Good luck Dubs
Edrick The Entertainer
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

Great to hear you are continuing with your medical follow ups dubs, Im glad at the very least things are progressing, this is not a forever thing but it may take time. As I have stated in other threads the next game I will be attending will be the sharks game in cronulla, so if anyone wants to have a few beers before the game have a chat and head in to sit on the hill sink piss and **** the sharks with me (hell Ill even give you some lessons so you dont look silly trying to blow the horn infront of everyone :D ) just give me a yell, pm if you dont have my phone number. Oh and sorry Im back on days so I wont be awake at night if anyone texts, but still please feel free to.
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

So I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of insight. I'm applying for the Army at the end of the month, hoping to get an office job with them. I'm increasingly unhappy at my current job, and it's something I've thought about for years because my oldest bro is in the Army and my Dad served 20 years. I think I'm fit enough, and I think I can handle it, my only concern is the psychological evaluation. Does anyone know if being on medication for depression is a big no no? I'm going just fine and I feel like I could come off it anyway but my doc recommended staying on medication for 12 months.

If I could determine soon enough that it would really hurt my chances,there's probably enough time for me to come off the medication.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

G_H I'm no doctor so I hesitate to give advice on what u are asking.

I can however give u my experiences. I was under medication and slowly weened myself off (against docs directions). It did me no harm at all.
I don't post facts
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Okay so if anyone's interested, I started coming off Pristiq about 2 weeks ago. At first I was cutting the tablets in half, however I found out that this was a bad idea because it removes the slow release coating, meaning that my body consumed the drug right away instead of over the next 24 hours or so. The withdrawels were horrible.. I had everything on this list: http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/06/18 ... -duration/

I decided I had to go to the doctor cause I couldn't function even though I was trying to tough it out at work. The doc had nfi about Pristiq, but prescribed me 50mg Pristiq cause I asked for it. So I was on those tablets until last Saturday when I went "cold turkey". The withdrawels were just as bad as they were the week before, until Wednesday when they started wearing off. Now on Saturday, I think they are almost completely gone.. I have started eating pretty healthy as well and today went to the markets and bought a young coconut, coconut oil and some pineapples and made these awesome smoothies which gave me a tremendous amount of energy that I had to go outside and go for a run. I feel really good knowing that my behaviour and mental state isn't being altered by a pill anymore. All is going pretty sweetly atm, eating healthy makes a huge difference, possibly better than any drug I could take.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Great to hear. Keep up with the exercise, good food, vitamin D and try to establish a good sleeping routine. I have a chamomile tea every night then read for about half an hour.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Hey GH.

Mate, I have recently started on Fluvoxamine after being on Cymbalta. Before Cymbalta is was mirtazipine. Going on and off these anti-depressants is just the worst feeling. It really is an awful experience. The other night I accidently bit the fluvo and it gave me a hell of a stomach ache, I was close to calling an ambulance. Thankfully after drinking a lot of milk it calmed down.

I'm improving, and like you have started exercising more regularly and eating a whole lot better. It really makes a difference to your well being and attitude.

Keep going with the positive changes mate. Everyone's experience is different. I still have difficulty talking about this with anyone. My Dr and psychiatrist are not happy I do this. I can't seem to bring this up with anyone though.

Please don't make the same mistakes I do.

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

gergreg wrote:Great to hear. Keep up with the exercise, good food, vitamin D and try to establish a good sleeping routine. I have a chamomile tea every night then read for about half an hour.
That sounds like a good idea, my sleeping pattern is not great atm but it's been worse.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

I understand dubs, I have only told one friend at work, because I don't trust everyone else. I feel like people will think I'm full of ****.
Keep on exercising man. The constant changing of medication sounds terrible.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:Great to hear. Keep up with the exercise, good food, vitamin D and try to establish a good sleeping routine. I have a chamomile tea every night then read for about half an hour.
Chamomile tea is the absolute best! When I was going through a tough time a few months ago I was having chamomile tea and reading in bed myself. Really helped settle me down.

I can't stress enough how good exercise is for your body and mind. Can't stress it enough.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Chamomile is really effective, but it tastes like you're drinking a flower

Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Green_Hammock wrote:Okay so if anyone's interested, I started coming off Pristiq about 2 weeks ago. At first I was cutting the tablets in half, however I found out that this was a bad idea because it removes the slow release coating, meaning that my body consumed the drug right away instead of over the next 24 hours or so. The withdrawels were horrible.. I had everything on this list: http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/06/18 ... -duration/

I decided I had to go to the doctor cause I couldn't function even though I was trying to tough it out at work. The doc had nfi about Pristiq, but prescribed me 50mg Pristiq cause I asked for it. So I was on those tablets until last Saturday when I went "cold turkey". The withdrawels were just as bad as they were the week before, until Wednesday when they started wearing off. Now on Saturday, I think they are almost completely gone.. I have started eating pretty healthy as well and today went to the markets and bought a young coconut, coconut oil and some pineapples and made these awesome smoothies which gave me a tremendous amount of energy that I had to go outside and go for a run. I feel really good knowing that my behaviour and mental state isn't being altered by a pill anymore. All is going pretty sweetly atm, eating healthy makes a huge difference, possibly better than any drug I could take.
Great news mate !!! ... keep up the exercise ... make it a ritual to look forward to. I used to look forward to a walk with my wife after work ... soon as I got home off we went.
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

dubby wrote:Hey GH.

Mate, I have recently started on Fluvoxamine after being on Cymbalta. Before Cymbalta is was mirtazipine. Going on and off these anti-depressants is just the worst feeling. It really is an awful experience. The other night I accidently bit the fluvo and it gave me a hell of a stomach ache, I was close to calling an ambulance. Thankfully after drinking a lot of milk it calmed down.

I'm improving, and like you have started exercising more regularly and eating a whole lot better. It really makes a difference to your well being and attitude.

Keep going with the positive changes mate. Everyone's experience is different. I still have difficulty talking about this with anyone. My Dr and psychiatrist are not happy I do this. I can't seem to bring this up with anyone though.

Please don't make the same mistakes I do.
Keep it going Dubs ... there is an end to the tunnel mate.

Unfortunately people often fall into the same trap again, often through no fault of their own ... we are all built differently.
I don't post facts
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Thanks RF.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk