Depression and mental health

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Depression and mental health

Post by Begbie »

Um, was supposed to be a joke, mate. I guess sarcasm doesn't translate across the Internet but I should of known that from previous attempts.

I cop the old black dog as much as anyone and self meditation and ringing up mates for a chat is the answer for me.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:Haha you're not supposed to "think about stuff".

On the same token I find running on a treadmill for half an hour to be not exactly pleasant either but I do it for my physical health.

Why are we so prepared to look after our physical well-being yet we can't take ten or fifteen minutes a day to look after the mental side of things??

In my opinion that's MORE important.
Why don't you run outside?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:

On the same token I find running on a treadmill for half an hour to be not exactly pleasant either but I do it for my physical health.

Why are we so prepared to look after our physical well-being yet we can't take ten or fifteen minutes a day to look after the mental side of things??

Why don't you run outside?
**** that, I know everybody in my neighbourhood. I'd spend most of the time having people yell **** at me or swerve their cars at me. Would be a horrible experience considering the fact I'm already sweating my guts out and in pain.

Treadmill at home means I can run and watch my favourite stories.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Agree it's more important but meditation isn't for everyone, some people it helps, some it doesn't have any effect and some it actually has a negative impact on, everyone's different mate.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

He said "meditation" bushy not "self medication"
Edrick The Entertainer
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

bonehead wrote:He said "meditation" bushy not "self medication"
I know and both while helping some can lead to psychosis in the small minority, everyone's wired differently, you've gotta learn what works for you as an individual.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Are you sure meditation is actually a cause for psychosis, as apposed to being a coincidental finding in people who were already predisposed to developing psychosis (if that makes sense)?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Certain kinds of meditation or relaxation are not used for people with certain conditions. Guided imagery for example isn't used for people with psychosis and progressive muscle relaxation isn't used for people with anxiety.

Generally speaking though, mindfulness tends to be effective for most people and there are a wide range of ways to practice it.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yep was the cause. Meditation can affect the brain and like everything reacts differently with different people. I would encourage people to try it because some like Nickman absolutely swear by it but just be mindful of what happens, it's not for everyone.

Pickles mindfulness was one that I've seen can lead to psychosis.
Last edited by Manbush on April 6, 2016, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

This is classic Manbush. Sticks to some absolutely bogus **** claim that he read somewhere on google and completely ignores overwhelming evidence to the contrary

Here's a ball, Bushy, run along outside and bounce it
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

He would've read one **** article somewhere once and now he's a world expert in "be careful trying meditation, it's not for everyone"
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

**** off Nickman, research it, yes it works for you and a lot of other people but it's not for everyone that's a simple fact.

For the record please note I did encourage people to try it as a lot of people swear by it, but like anything that can affect the brain you should pay attention to the effects it's having on you as everyone is different.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

What, research it by typing "negative affects of meditation" into Google??

Yeah righto pal. Why don't you do the same thing for exercise, fruit and sunshine while you're at it?? I'm sure you'll be able to assemble enough proof of the detrimental effects of all of those things!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

While you're at it, how about you provide us with another doctrine about how cannabis is great for your health, cures all health problems and leads to a happy existence??
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Aside from you two once again telling each other to get ****, there's some good responses in here for Hammock.

Nice show of support, boys.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Getting a bit antsy there mate, it's ok it's not real if you're not aware of it.

Questions

1: Can meditationg affect the brain?
2: Can a hallucinogenic drug (similar to magic mushies) be released from the pineal gland during meditation?

But nah no chance of it having a negative affect on a small minority.

The responsible thing when dealing with anything that affects the brain is to be aware.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mate, we're giving **** advice to somebody who asked for **** help regarding depression and you've come bounding in with your typical **** Bull about nothing. Do you think Hammock has probably had too many mushrooms?? Do you think that's his issue??
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

I have to say, and I don't usually subscribe to spraying Manbush from the cheap seats, but Nick's above post is bang on.

A bloke has sort advice. From that has come all sorts of advice - none of which is wrong - and now we're discussing dope again, in the same breath as meditation?

Come on now, Bushy. Give it a rest, mate.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Like I could Google negatives for exercise and find countless cases of people having heart attacks while jogging.

Should I then come in here and go "Careful though mate, exercise isn't for everybody"?? No, because I'm not a complete **** **** who for some reason thinks he's some kind of maverick genius who thinks outside the square!!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I can give you a thousand negatives of exercise and all of them would revolve around a decrease to my drinking time. Lets not turn this into debate club. It's depression and from my limited knowledge on the subject i know for a fact there is no one answer so the more ideas the better.
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote:I can give you a thousand negatives of exercise and all of them would revolve around a decrease to my drinking time. Lets not turn this into debate club. It's depression and from my limited knowledge on the subject i know for a fact there is no one answer so the more ideas the better.
I dunno mate, there's a study I found on Google that said ideas can be bad for certain people. I wouldn't recommend them.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Yeah, time for some self regulation in this thread. Bushy, please just drop it. This is not the place for an argument that doesn't need to be won.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

My apologies to everybody, Green_Hammock in particular. All I want to say from here, is from someone who ACTUALLY knows what he's talking about, give meditation a crack, mate.

PM me if you want any further advice offline.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

As a matter of fact there is an alarming number of heart attack victims from running. It is a bit of a 'mid life crisis' thing with a bucket load of middle age people and above (myself included) who suddenly get the desire to run marathons and as a result push the limits too far.

But on topic I agree with what others have said - good healthy foods, exercise within your limits, fresh air and vitamin D, sex, laughter, meditation (as noted previously by me probably in this thread - I practice Tai chi 5 times a week ranging from 10 minutes to 3 + hours each session and like Nickman I can't imagine my life without it) and medication can all help. The best approach is to find what makes you happy and works for you and stick with it. Another common area that men tend to overlook or aren't willing to address is alcohol consumption.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Lots of good blokes on this forum.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Raider 85 wrote:I have to say, and I don't usually subscribe to spraying Manbush from the cheap seats, but Nick's above post is bang on.

A bloke has sort advice. From that has come all sorts of advice - none of which is wrong - and now we're discussing dope again, in the same breath as meditation?

Mate I did a short polite post about how meditation is not for everyone and can have an adverse effect on some because Nickman banged on about how he can't believe people don't do it. Nickmans the one who has turned it ugly and about dope not me.

Recommending caution with anything that can affect the brain is good advice that's all I did.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:Yeah, time for some self regulation in this thread. Bushy, please just drop it. This is not the place for an argument that doesn't need to be won.
TR but no offense but **** off and look at who started the ****, I'll drop it now but seriously point the finger where it's due, my advice was caution.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thank you everyone for keeping the thread on track. Taking good advice, I'll now **** off.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Manbush wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:I have to say, and I don't usually subscribe to spraying Manbush from the cheap seats, but Nick's above post is bang on.

Mate I did a short polite post about how meditation is not for everyone and can have an adverse effect on some because Nickman banged on about how he can't believe people don't do it. Nickmans the one who has turned it ugly and about dope not me.

Recommending caution with anything that can affect the brain is good advice that's all I did.
I don't want to engage in an argument with you about this. I just can't believe you pulled up Nick's suggestion - well, cautioned it. There's no right or wrongs here, and there's no one answer. Moreover, I'm sure Hammock will at some point raise many of these suggestions with his doctor with view of determining which one/s best suit him.

Anyway, like T_R (I think) said, there's no arguments to be won on this subject - well, there shouldn't be.

Just some good old advice, support and love for old mate Hammock will suffice.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

EDIT
Last edited by T_R on April 6, 2016, 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Well, thanks NEARLY everyone.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Let's just drop the pointless debate, and agree to disagree

I've personally been through a bloody tough few years and struggling to come to grips with it.

No one thing is a universal and guaranteed answer. I do believe that exercise, diet is crucial. And avoid heavy drinking.

You need good people around you, avoid those who throw cheap shots from the sidelines

Depression will tell you no one cares. And frankly, not many people do. I've found that the hardest part is finding someone to talk to, because it's very draining and emotional. It requires constant support and assistance because each day is different.

That's where I've battled. That's why I'm so tired, exhausted and frankly don't enjoy life. I'm down, I feel broken, beat and devoid of hope and help

But I get up and keep going somehow.

My posting online for years has been indicative of my mental health

I've felt so unlike myself and the loss of confidence and surety I used to have is hard to comprehend

I don't even know anymore.

I feel alone, ashamed and weak.

I could go on, but frankly I think I've said enough

If I've appeared like a sooky, whiny little baby over the years I hope you now understand why.

Because I just don't know anymore. When you're joy is gone and you don't really enjoy the things you used to, it's hard to find sense and reason
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:Let's just drop the pointless debate, and agree to disagree

I've personally been through a bloody tough few years and struggling to come to grips with it.

No one thing is a universal and guaranteed answer. I do believe that exercise, diet is crucial. And avoid heavy drinking.

You need good people around you, avoid those who throw cheap shots from the sidelines

Depression will tell you no one cares. And frankly, not many people do. I've found that the hardest part is finding someone to talk to, because it's very draining and emotional. It requires constant support and assistance because each day is different.

That's where I've battled. That's why I'm so tired, exhausted and frankly don't enjoy life. I'm down, I feel broken, beat and devoid of hope and help

I've felt so unlike myself and the loss of confidence and surety I used to have is hard to comprehend

If I've appeared like a sooky, whiny little baby over the years I hope you now understand why.

Because I just don't know anymore. When you're joy is gone and you don't really enjoy the things you used to, it's hard to find sense and reason
Have you tried meditation, dubs?? I agree that exercise and diet are crucial, but just learning to calm and control your thoughts can have significant ramifications for your outlook on life, and indeed, eventually your life itself. Sunshine (as you've seen already) is another one I swear by. Just twenty minutes a day in the sun can add a feeling of inner peace, I've found, and if you're time poor why not try combining the two??

I know a lot of the "cheap seats" comments there may be aimed in my general direction, but if you ever need someone to talk to offline, you know where to find me. Nobody should ever suffer alone or feel like nobody cares.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

dubby wrote:Let's just drop the pointless debate, and agree to disagree

You should be seeing a doctor yourself, and ASAP.

Not good, Dubby. Put some steps in place with view of remedying the situation in which you're placed. You'll get there - one step at a time.

Good luck, mate.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Not aiming at you specially nickman.

I do my own faith based meditation. And yes, I love a good swing in the hammock in the evening sun.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Manbush wrote:Getting a bit antsy there mate, it's ok it's not real if you're not aware of it.

Questions

1: Can meditationg affect the brain?
2: Can a hallucinogenic drug (similar to magic mushies) be released from the pineal gland during meditation?

But nah no chance of it having a negative affect on a small minority.

The responsible thing when dealing with anything that affects the brain is to be aware.
When I was medicated the last time I was given ciltralopam. It has taken me 18 months and I can finally sleep for 4 hours unbroken, the dreams are still highly intense. I still fall asleep at my desk at work, please do not take citralopam. I wake up to a regular alarm, eat fruit etc. I do not meditate.