Any tips for quitting?

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Any tips for quitting?

Post by Manbush »

As of today attempting to quit smoking again, wondering if anyones got any useful tips, been smoking for 24yrs since I was 14, family smokes, housemate and many friends smoke so it's really ingrained into my being and life, it's all I've ever known :doubt:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Re: Any tips for quitting?

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Good luck to you MB,

Don't expect miracles, you wil not suddenly feel better, fitter ot healthier. While it may be true I didn't really notice it while giving up.
Go easy on yourself, substitute things you enjoy, if you spend all day eating lollies for a while it is o.k., you can fix it later.
If you slip up, that is o.k. just dont go and buy 4 packs and smoke them all, just start quitting again in the morning. you are no longer a smoker.
the cravings do not go away all together, you just think about it less and les over time. Accept this for what it is.

Good luck dude, it is worth it.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

My Dad smoked 2 packs a day for 40 years. The damage has probably already been done, but he decided 18 months ago that he had to give it up.

He gave it up completely cold turkey. No patches, no "weening-off" period, no substitutes... nothing. And he has not had a single one since.

It's just got to take extreme will-power and the belief that you're doing it to extend your life and make you feel more healthy.

Sorry that's probably not very helpful though in terms of ideas to quit!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Good luck :thumbsup
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

don't start
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

david231280 wrote:don't start
what he said.

Family, extended family and my friends all smoked/smoke and i have never touched one, not once did i see the point to it.

my grandparents went cold turkey after close to 40 years smoking. they used lollypops. whenever they got the urge, they opened a new one and sucked, it also helped with the hand motion you've become used to.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
*Loz*
Brett Mullins

Post by *Loz* »

A few things that helped me -

1. Once upon a time you didn't smoke and functioned perfectly OK. Granted you were 14 and didn't have the pressures that you face now, but you managed stress and boredom without the use of cigs.

2. It really isn't that difficult to ditch the habit, but tobacco companies would have you believe it is in the hope you take the easy option and not quit.

3. Nicotine replacement therapy of any form is a waste of time. NRT just gives you something else you need to ween yourself off. Cold Turkey is the way to go.

4. I recommend you read 'The Easy way to Quit Smoking' by Allan Carr. It helped me. It helps you reorder your attitude.

And before any smart mouth berates me after having seen me with a **** in my mouth over the previous season (can you blame me??), I have quit again and am coping just fine.

I won't wish you luck, I'll wish you good health instead. PM Me if you have any questions.
Raiders Member #3044
*Loz*
Brett Mullins

Post by *Loz* »

Helpful.
Raiders Member #3044
goodgolly

Post by goodgolly »

If in the end all the above doesnt work ask your doctor about a drug called Champix.

They work a treat for some people.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Cheap wine and willpower has seen me through many a night.
#BoneMcCrone
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

*Loz* wrote:
Helpful.
Probably the most helpful post on here. :P

Why anyone would take up that habit is beyond me.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I gave up 2 years ago, I still have cravings when they kick in I punch out 30 knuckle push ups, it gets rid of them and keeps my guns pumped.

PS...... I still have a sly one whence I am allowed off the leash.
This place is woke.
*Loz*
Brett Mullins

Post by *Loz* »

dubby wrote:
*Loz* wrote:
Helpful.

Only helpful for the OP if time machines existed...
Raiders Member #3044
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

every time you feel the urge to light up just grab something real sharp and jam it in your eye...the urges will soon cease.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The_Green_Hope
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The_Green_Hope »

I never smoked but I went through withdrawal of a different kind and the best advice I could give is to keep yourself occupied with a new hobby. Don't try to replace your smokes with another vice (booze or drugs) because generally they will lower your inhibitions and you'll just end up smoking again anyway.

For the beginning at least, try to avoid drinking. a lot of people I know have quit smoking recently and that's the best thing that worked for them because the most they ever smoked was on the piss.

Good luck, I hope you kick the habit.
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

dont smoke any cigarettes, that will help :)

good luck MB
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

*Loz* wrote:
dubby wrote:
*Loz* wrote:
Helpful.

Only helpful for the OP if time machines existed...
Settle Loz, just stirring him up a bit. :)
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Ive never smoked but good luck Id imagine it wont be easy. Ive seen people go cold turkey and Ive seen others go through programs. Try and find support , friends , family , support groups.

Im trying to lose weight , Ive got the execise down pat but its the eating healthy part that I struggle with. Ive joined a website which has a great support community.
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

One thing i will say, as a tip is that any nicotine left over once you quit is gone quite quickly. Without using google to advise me, i think about a week?

so any cravings, are not due to that. just dont Put yourself in tyoo many situations that make you feel you have to smoke eg drunk at a BBQ.

As with anything, get educated (see your doctor, watch youtube, call quit) make a plan and set goals and you will achieve them.
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Any tips for quitting?

Post by Albi »

manbush wrote:As of today attempting to quit smoking again, wondering if anyones got any useful tips, been smoking for 24yrs since I was 14, family smokes, housemate and many friends smoke so it's really ingrained into my being and life, it's all I've ever known :doubt:
Congratulations on an excellent choice!!

I'm a hypnotist, and can say with some authority that it doesn't work for smoking.. Anyone claiming it does is trying to take your money.

Read the book by Alan Carr that Loz recommended, and in the early days avoid situations where the temptation to smoke is the strongest, such as pubs/clubs and around friends who smoke.

Also, chantix and zyban are medication options that work well, but remember nicotine cravings are only part of the problem, with the other being that smoking is a social habit that we begin to associate with everyday activities such as morning tea and drinking... Good luck
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Using the patches and chuppa chups as that has worked before, no drinking planned for at least a week and that will be in different environments (with non smokers) staying at a motel and a mates place in Rocky for a few weeks. 2-3 months though is when I've always caved previously
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Re: Any tips for quitting?

Post by Dr Zaius »

Albi wrote:I'm a hypnotist, and can say with some authority that it doesn't work for smoking.. Anyone claiming it does is trying to take your money.
But can you make him cluck like a chicken?
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Any tips for quitting?

Post by Albi »

Greenbits wrote:
Albi wrote:I'm a hypnotist, and can say with some authority that it doesn't work for smoking.. Anyone claiming it does is trying to take your money.
But can you make him cluck like a chicken?
Yes, yes I can :)
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Thats awesome!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Albi wrote: Congratulations on an excellent choice!!

I'm a hypnotist, and can say with some authority that it doesn't work for smoking.. Anyone claiming it does is trying to take your money.

Read the book by Alan Carr that Loz recommended, and in the early days avoid situations where the temptation to smoke is the strongest, such as pubs/clubs and around friends who smoke.

Also, chantix and zyban are medication options that work well, but remember nicotine cravings are only part of the problem, with the other being that smoking is a social habit that we begin to associate with everyday activities such as morning tea and drinking... Good luck
Tried hypnotism years ago which worked for an hour :lol:

Not keen on prescription medication, think its Zyban that has been responsible for a few deaths
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Can you please hypnotise the Raiders into a premiership please?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Forget the players, can you hypnotize the cheerleaders :)
Christmas Ape
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Christmas Ape »

I've been through about 6 attempts at quitting over the last 10 years and like you, Manbush I've lasted 2 or 3 months at the most.
But this latest attempt is currently at 7 months and I'm doing it pretty easy.
Reading Allen Carr's book was helpful but I don't reckon it's the magical solution that a lot of people say it is.
I think what's helped me the most this time around is a bit of self-imposed reverse psychology. For all my previous attempts I've thrown all my cigarettes and lighters out in ceremonial fashion but this time I decided to keep a pack of smokes lying around the house like they always were. For some reason it's working really well. I can have a smoke whenever I want but I choose not to.
I still feel like one every now and then and for the first couple of weeks I was the crankiest man in the universe and actually spent an entire Saturday in bed feeling sorry for myself but I think this time I might have it beat.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:Can you please hypnotise the Raiders into a premiership please?

:roflmao

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

According to study by the University of Queensland health wise watching half an hour of tv equates to smoking a single cigarette, guess im quitting Tv next :lol:
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

manbush wrote:According to study by the University of Queensland health wise watching half an hour of tv equates to smoking a single cigarette, guess im quitting Tv next :lol:
Which Tobacco lobby funded that one?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Nah it wasn't trying to diminish the dangers of smoking, just talking up the dangers of tv by comparing to obesity and smoking

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... nutes.html

Are we ready for tvs in plain packaging :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I gave up about 4/5 years ago then got really drunk on tequilla one christmas and started up again. Its all in your head, if you really want to do something you can. I'm really keen to kick the habit again soon - I'm slowly getting my head into a position where I'm ready to quit. My wife is keen to give up too, which is the first hurdle. The other thing I have been doing is thinking about what makes people quit. A lot of people quit when they hit 50 or 60 because they go to the doctor and Doc says if you don't quit you will be dead in 12 months. Is it worth waiting til you have 12 months to live to decide its the right time to quit? When I gave up last time (lasted about 2 years) I almost completely gave up alcohol and went jogging and did martial arts. If I am to give up I think I will have to do the same thing as I chain smoke when I drink. The other thing I did last time I quit in terms of alcohol comsumption was change my drink of choice. I used to drink beer but switched to vodka. It worked okay to a point. If I only had 3 drinks I would be fine - anymore than that and the cravings would start.

good luck
Shoving it in your face since 2017
semaj97
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Blake Ferguson

Post by semaj97 »

dont smoke
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Post by Green eyed Mick »

patches and giving up the grog and coffee at the same time worked for me.