The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Azza's Photo Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Are you using a drone?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah Yeah, but nah.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sometimes or an upgraded camera? I didn't think the cameras on drones were capable of these kind of shots. Particularly those with the slower shutter speed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Nah, with a good camera on a drone it's fairly easy to change the filter at the front of it to a neutral density, and that enables exposure times to be lengthened. Not sure what you are referring to though specifically, didn't do much of that with video. Regardless of what Fergus king of the jerks thinks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: January 2, 2020, 8:48 am Nah, with a good camera on a drone it's fairly easy to change the filter at the front of it to a neutral density, and that enables exposure times to be lengthened. Not sure what you are referring to though specifically, didn't do much of that with video. Regardless of what Fergus king of the jerks thinks.
Sorry, was referring to the stills. Hadn't seen the video. :opps
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

All good... Video isn't everyone's cup of tea although I do find they grab some incredible footage
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Reason for my curiosity is I just got a DJI Phantom 3 from Santa....well, from me actually.

Not tested it yet but I wasn't expecting anything outstanding from the standard camera.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Like any photography what matters most is your use of it rather than the equipment
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

True but there are definite limitations with some equipment. That's why we spend lots of $$ on upgrades. :)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well, I'm pretty happy with mine, but I don't use the drone all the time mind you. Good luck with the Phantom , it should be fun!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

What are you using?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I have a Mavic 2.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Nice machine.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Canola Vista by Arun, on Flickr
Last edited by Azza on October 10, 2020, 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Eye of the Storm by Arun, on Flickr
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Curl Curl by Arun, on Flickr

Life in the lockdown zone ain't so bad ;-). Merry xmas all.

Not many photos this year, trips to Iceland and WA were canned due to covid. Hopefully more to share with you next year.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Epic as usual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Shark Bay Vista by Arun, on Flickr
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Sunrise at the Tree by Arun, on Flickr
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Rick wrote: May 8, 2021, 10:05 am Epic as usual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers mate.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Two People's Bay by Arun, on Flickr
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Sunset over the Tree
by Arun, on Flickr
Last edited by Azza on May 31, 2021, 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Lagoon, Shark Bay by Arun, on Flickr
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Love the textures on these last few. Is it OK to use then as my backgrounds on the desktop?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yes, please don't share around though
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Thnx.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Superb

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Coast of Shark Bay by Arun, on Flickr
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Thistle Cove by Arun, on Flickr
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

So, after a good 10 years and sharing countless images on the Greenhouse, I think it's time to bring this thread to a close for the final time :-). I'll keep photographing when I can, and stuff will always be up on my Flickr, but I won't keep this thread updated anymore. Appreciate all the kind words and the chance to share with my fellow Raiders fans here. I'll close with something a bit different. A piece I recently wrote about how photography has changed my life, and helped me to overcome a lot of shame in my own life. Hope it resonates in some small way. Thanks once again.

-----------------

My photography

When I was in my formative years at school, I learned to carry great shame around my creative abilities. I could barely draw a stick man in art class. When I participated in painting, I produced works that made the other kids cry with laughter and tease me, and whenever the teacher got us to do the most basic of things like fold paper for craft I would freak out with anxiety and shut down. I would sabotage my own success and just assume I was going to fail.
I bore that shame for many years – it simply became an accepted part of who I was, and fell into the background. I just assumed I didn’t have a creative bone or spirit in my body. This became a core part of my beliefs about myself, and a great disappointment that I carried. Yet I knew in some part of me deep down, even in those early years, and perhaps through some intuition, that I had more to give, and that there was some enormously creative spirit waiting to express itself that had the potential to deeply inspire people.

Sometimes it takes a bit of chance, and a bit of help from life to help uncover what that “more” is. Not long after I left school, as a young single man and with plenty of time on my hands to discover my place in the world, I started doing some basic reading about photography and was fascinated enough that I bought a cheap, single lens camera and started experimenting around my mother’s garden, just taking images of the various flowers and plants she was cultivating. It caught my interest but I felt there was something more calling to me. One day I found a stretch of coastline not far from where I lived that looked like it was full of the beautiful rocks, sand formations and stretches of water that called to me as if it was home.

I joined forces with a good friend from school and we decided to head out one morning not long after to capture some images of it. We had no idea what we were doing, and showed up when the sun had already started rising to be greeted by the most stupendous, purple and pink sunrise that lit up all the clouds above us. With very little experience both of us ran around much like headless chooks, grabbing as many different images as we could of that amazing morning. While I didn’t know it then, and in hindsight am both mildly amused and embarrassed at the images that I came up with that day, something far more important had happened. My creative spirit, for so long repressed and shrouded in a cage of shame, began to emerge.

Over the years that followed, I began to dedicate more and more time to nourishing this newly found but somehow ancient part of myself that I had re-united with much like a long lost love from whom I had been torn many years earlier, but for which my passion for had never waned. I began to journey around the country and world to find adventures and experiences that could help me nurture and re-establish my relationship with it.

I hiked up steep mountains from 1am, being watched by curious sheep, to reach peaks buffeted by icy cold polar winds in time for stunning sunrises.
Roy's Peak, Wanaka, New Zealand by Arun, on Flickr
I scrambled over rocks and boulders for hours at a time, and got hit (and sometimes knocked over, almost drowned) by waves in search of a great image

Warriewood Beach at Sunrise by Arun, on Flickr

I slipped and stumbled and almost cracked my skull on icy paths of rock, and allowed myself to be consumed by ridiculous heat and attacked by brutal mosquitoes to photograph amazing creatures around the planet.

Enjoying the Warmth at Jigokudani, Japan by Arun, on Flickr

Soaring over South Luangwa by Arun, on Flickr

I visited some of the world’s most famous landmarks (natural and manmade), and spent countless hours trying to capture them in unique ways.

Paris by Night by Arun, on Flickr

I spent many nights, alone in the dark, photographing stars and waterfalls, and - in my more contemplative moments - perhaps asking for guidance in my life from some greater force that I sensed was looking down upon me with a mixture of mirth and love.

Full Moon, Saturday Night by
Arun, on Flickr

Star Gazing at the Cathedral by Arun, on Flickr

But what I came to realise looking back on all these great stories, moments and scenes that I had the privilege to experience and witness, is that the most important journey I had gone on had nothing to do with the locations I had visited, stumbled upon, or otherwise discovered. Nor did it have any relationship to the images I had taken. Those formative experiences in my childhood years stifled my creativity, but only because without realising, I gave them the power to. I had imprisoned a huge part of myself in a cell of shame, doubt and self-denial and began to tell myself a story that I wasn’t good enough, without really knowing I had done so.

With every image I captured, I began to chip away at the prison I’d created for myself. All these years later, and with more grey hair, scars and tears, I’m still re-connecting and re-discovering my creativity. But I know without a doubt, that the seemingly simple choice I made to pick up a camera all those years ago shifted my life onto a path of healing for which I am forever grateful.