What's making you want to 'stack on a blue'?

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: What's currently annoying you?

Post by -TW- »

Tony Greig..
tragic
Brett Mullins

What's currently annoying you?

Post by tragic »

Peter Roebucks (sp?) horribly negative commentary on ABC.
Raiders member no# 2278.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

cliffbag wrote:Origin MASSIVELY over estimating our electricity usage!

Average bill for us = $300 - $350

We changed plan with them during the billing period, so they reckon they couldn't read exactly what our usage was at that point, so they estimated for our bill.

875 **** $'s

I rang to abuse them and they said, "it's ok, you have another meter reading scheduled for Dec 30th, I'm sure that bill will be very low, or maybe even have you in credit for overpaying on this one"

Big **** deal, that's after Christmas... I want my small bill now and the big one when i can actually bloody afford it!!!!
Origin's annoying me too. Been in my new house since July, figured I was due a bill soon so I called them. They said that there was a reading done in August, but for some reason the bill wasn't issued. They couldn't say why it wasn't or how much it was for. So now I'm about to be lumped with August's and November's bill.

Devo much :P
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Origin has got nothing on telstra , Telstra have to be the worst run company in Australia.

I have had f*kd up bills for about 8 months , I changed plans 2months agao so my bill would $210 plus calls. I got a bill for over $1000. Ive rang for an update on the current bill and its over $400 already. Guess whos not paying the bill.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Have to say nothing much. :)
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

tragic wrote:Peter Roebucks (sp?) horribly negative commentary on ABC.
Is there any other kind of commentary from Roebuck?
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Michael Vick's only INT this season being one that cost the Eagles a game :(
so so annoying.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

-GD- wrote:
tragic wrote:Peter Roebucks (sp?) horribly negative commentary on ABC.
Is there any other kind of commentary from Roebuck?
Peter Roebuck is a whiny bitch...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Origin has got nothing on telstra , Telstra have to be the worst run company in Australia.

I have had f*kd up bills for about 8 months , I changed plans 2months agao so my bill would $210 plus calls. I got a bill for over $1000. Ive rang for an update on the current bill and its over $400 already. Guess whos not paying the bill.
My parents keep getting bills for credits... the last debit bill they got was $800 or something rediculous..

All to do with this new t hub/box wank and telstra sending up a hub instead of box...

Not that the T Box is any good anyway
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

People who can't spell.

Seriously, I know it seems like nit-picking, but I'm actually horrified by the number of people who reach their late-teens or adulthood without the ability to spell basic words. I tutor HSC English and the number of students who can't properly identify where a comma goes in a sentence or spell a simple two-syllable word is unbelievable - and the worst part is that after these kids blunder through the HSC, get their red dot etc, then there's no chance they will improve later in life. If you can't master basic, basic grammar after 13 years of school, what are the chances of picking that stuff up when you're 25 or 30?

In my apartment block there is a girl roughly my age who is the typical aspiring-model/actress/cocktail waitress type, and her facebook pages reads 'Hi, I'm so-and-so, I'm an actress/model/promo-girl and welcome to my sight' - that just made me want to cry. I don't know what's worse - the potential employers who will be laughing at her, or the fact that none of her friends or her fiance (or her for that matter) has realised the mistake.

I'm not suggesting everyone should become a wordsmith or anything, but at the risk of sounding like an old fogey, don't people have any pride in what they write? Don't they realise it makes them seem incredibly stupid? Everyone makes spelling mistakes from time to time, hell, there's probably a couple in this post itself, but when I see people mispelling every second word on their facebook posts or using chat acronyms that use the same number of letters as the conventional word, it makes me a very sad panda.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Ghey.
This place is woke.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

Michael wrote:People who can't spell.

Seriously, I know it seems like nit-picking, but I'm actually horrified by the number of people who reach their late-teens or adulthood without the ability to spell basic words. I tutor HSC English and the number of students who can't properly identify where a comma goes in a sentence or spell a simple two-syllable word is unbelievable - and the worst part is that after these kids blunder through the HSC, get their red dot etc, then there's no chance they will improve later in life. If you can't master basic, basic grammar after 13 years of school, what are the chances of picking that stuff up when you're 25 or 30?

In my apartment block there is a girl roughly my age who is the typical aspiring-model/actress/cocktail waitress type, and her facebook pages reads 'Hi, I'm so-and-so, I'm an actress/model/promo-girl and welcome to my sight' - that just made me want to cry. I don't know what's worse - the potential employers who will be laughing at her, or the fact that none of her friends or her fiance (or her for that matter) has realised the mistake.

I'm not suggesting everyone should become a wordsmith or anything, but at the risk of sounding like an old fogey, don't people have any pride in what they write? Don't they realise it makes them seem incredibly stupid? Everyone makes spelling mistakes from time to time, hell, there's probably a couple in this post itself, but when I see people mispelling every second word on their facebook posts or using chat acronyms that use the same number of letters as the conventional word, it makes me a very sad panda.
I have to agree..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

People in general, sick to death of dealing with idiots and this time of year their numbers dramatically increase.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The biggest one I see (especially on Facebook) is the mix up of "your" and "you're". It is dead set everywhere, basically as if "you're" doesn't exist anymore and has been completely replaced with "your".
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

My biggest spelling gripe is when people say "rediculous", it's ridiculous :rant
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's because the kids are not taught to spell or taught grammar. In fact, they are encouraged to "express themselves" and not to worry about it! "Modern teaching methods".
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

manbush wrote:People in general, sick to death of dealing with idiots and this time of year their numbers dramatically increase.
I noticed a correlation between the increased amount of rain and the amount of idiots around...

Thats from experience working anyway...
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

afgtnk wrote:

The biggest one I see (especially on Facebook) is the mix up of "your" and "you're". It is dead set everywhere, basically as if "you're" doesn't exist anymore and has been completely replaced with "your".
There and their is also very annoying. :doubt: It's not rocket science ****.

I definitely bite my tongue more on the you're/your though..
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

I could spell very well in my younger days , through my working life i hadnt needed to spell or even write that often. Ive done more writing on these forums than what I had done in 10-15 years since i finished school in 89. Writing in these forums , you tend to rush , or shortened words , you become very lazy when it comes to spelling and grammar.

But todays youth is shocking , I dont know what's to blame , their schooling/media/social networks. My eldest who is 15 and is a smart kid cant spell for sh*t , I'm forever correcting him but it just doesnt sink in , it doesnt seem to be enforced in school.

Ok time to count the grammar and spelling mistakes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidersrawesome wrote:I could spell very well in my younger days , through my working life i hadnt needed to spell or even write that often. Ive done more writing on these forums than what I had done in 10-15 years since i finished school in 89. Writing in these forums , you tend to rush , or shortened words , you become very lazy when it comes to spelling and grammar.

But todays youth is shocking , I dont know what's to blame , their schooling/media/social networks. My eldest who is 15 and is a smart kid cant spell for **** , I'm forever correcting him but it just doesnt sink in , it doesnt seem to be enforced in school.

There you go! ;)
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

greeneyed wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:I could spell very well in my younger days , through my working life i hadnt needed to spell or even write that often. Ive done more writing on these forums than what I had done in 10-15 years since i finished school in 89. Writing in these forums , you tend to rush , or shortened words , you become very lazy when it comes to spelling and grammar.

But todays youth is shocking , I dont know what's to blame , their schooling/media/social networks. My eldest who is 15 and is a smart kid cant spell for **** , I'm forever correcting him but it just doesnt sink in , it doesnt seem to be enforced in school.

There you go! ;)
:roflmao
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

-GD- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

There you go! ;)
:roflmao
:lol: '''''''''''''' they're left out on purpose. that's the lazy bit.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote: There and their is also very annoying. :doubt: It's not rocket science ****.

I definitely bite my tongue more on the you're/your though..
add they're
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

But todays youth is shocking , I dont know what's to blame , their schooling/media/social networks. My eldest who is 15 and is a smart kid cant spell for sh*t , I'm forever correcting him but it just doesnt sink in , it doesnt seem to be enforced in school.

Your eldest doesn't particularly need to be the spelling bee champion anymore, anything he's submitting in any formal matter will be on a computer accompanied by a spell check.
That's your answer. The blame lies on the shoulders of the fact in today's society it's a skill you just no longer need.
Sure when you're doing your HSC, or completing papers in school by hand, it's a requirement. But once you get on to a PC, it is a complete redundant skill.

I've got a bad reputation around here for being a poor speller and truth told, i am. However when submitting anything i need to worry about spelling, my mind frame is entirely different to updating my status on Facebook, or posting on a forum or even texting. Unless you're a uni lecturer about to make my paper, or our interaction is a formal one i.e professional or semi professional, i couldn't give a flying **** about spelling, or grammar. And I'd say 99% of the population are the same.

Too prove my point, i wrote this post as if i was submitting it for uni marks. No spell check used.
If i were to re-post this in my usual lazy manner, it'd be riddled with errors.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Nerds that think it's there missoin in life to corecct spelling mistakes, ground breaking stuff really,truly a credit to society.

Let us all thank these spelling warriors for there tyreless efforts....hip...hooray...hip...hip.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nick wrote:

Your eldest doesn't particularly need to be the spelling bee champion anymore, anything he's submitting in any formal matter will be on a computer accompanied by a spell check.

That's your answer. The blame lies on the shoulders of the fact in today's society it's a skill you just no longer need.

Sure when you're doing your HSC, or completing papers in school by hand, it's a requirement. But once you get on to a PC, it is a complete redundant skill.

I've got a bad reputation around here for being a poor speller and truth told, i am. However when submitting anything i need to worry about spelling, my mind frame is entirely different to updating my status on Facebook, or posting on a forum or even texting. Unless you're a uni lecturer about to make my paper, or our interaction is a formal one i.e professional or semi professional, i couldn't give a flying **** about spelling, or grammar. And I'd say 99% of the population are the same.

Too prove my point, i wrote this post as if i was submitting it for uni marks. No spell check used.

If i were to re-post this in my usual lazy manner, it'd be riddled with errors.
Fail for poor punctuation and spelling. ;)
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

I despair for today's youth. They are all far, far too dependent on spell check. For some reason their grammar is also up the creek.

Where will you all be when the holocaust/resource war/climate armageddon comes, technology is wiped out, and we go back to writing with feathers, huh?

:lol:
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

-LG- wrote:I despair for today's youth. They are all far, far too dependent on spell check. For some reason their grammar is also up the creek.

Where will you all be when the holocaust/resource war/climate armageddon comes, technology is wiped out, and we go back to writing with feathers, huh?

I've actually planned for this.. If you want in PM me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-LG- wrote:I despair for today's youth. They are all far, far too dependent on spell check. For some reason their grammar is also up the creek.

The thing is, spelling and grammar check on Word... it produces the incorrect suggestion at least half the time, in my experience. It should never be considered a substitute for the knowledge of the correct spelling or grammar. It is there to pick up the odd proof reading error. That's all. It isn't a substitute for actual learning and knowledge of language. The fact our schools allow this idea that you don't need to spell to prevail is an indictment of education standards and teaching standards.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

What's currently annoying you?

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:

The thing is, spelling and grammar check on Word... it produces the incorrect suggestion at least half the time, in my experience. It should never be considered a substitute for the knowledge of the correct spelling or grammar. It is there to pick up the odd proof reading error. That's all. It isn't a substitute for actual learning and knowledge of language. The fact our schools allow this idea that you don't need to spell to prevail is an indictment of education standards and teaching standards.
Do kids even have note books/ text books these days? Or is it all done on laptops? If you don't have to write with a pen, how do you learn to spell?
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
-LG-
Steve Walters

Post by -LG- »

greeneyed wrote:

MS Word's grammar check is downright awful. It misses key things and prompts you to turn good sentences inside out. Evidently a sophisticated grammar check is still beyond computer programs.

Teaching standards in this area do seem woeful. I guess they'd argue it's about priorities - that it's more useful for a kid to be able to program in C# or Java then for them to be able to get spelling and grammar correct as these are the tools of the 21st century, rather than basic English.

The generation gap in this stuff is interesting. I'm 31 and feel as if I just slipped through before the shift to spell check dependency occurred. But I can't code either.
-LG-
Steve Walters

Post by -LG- »

Schifty wrote:

I've actually planned for this.. If you want in PM me.
Does it involve a bunker, a TV and lots of Raiders videos?

If so together we can form the Tin-Foil Hat Brigade™

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I also plan to bring a dvd with the last 10 minutes from the Australia vs Japan 2006 World Cup match.
-LG-
Steve Walters

Post by -LG- »

Great win or not, a 10 minute loop of a soccer match could get excruciating if it's played for fifty years solid! :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

On the other hand, the 1989 Grand Final never gets old. :)