What's making you want to 'stack on a blue'?

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: What's currently annoying you?

Post by Schifty »

-LG- wrote:Great win or not, a 10 minute loop of a soccer match could get excruciating if it's played for fifty years solid! :lol:
I was going to bring a Canberra Cosmos Highlights video, but unfortunately 7 seasons is condensed to about 41 seconds. :(
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

People who post their pictures sideways on Facebook. Honestly people, it's not that difficult, Facebook even has buttons under the photos that turn your pictures for you. Or do you expect us to believe that you've taken to walking up walls?

Sheesh!
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Schifty wrote:I also plan to bring a dvd with the last 10 minutes from the Australia vs Japan 2006 World Cup match.
Ahhhhhhh, yes. A must.

Cahill........ CAHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-LG- wrote:Great win or not, a 10 minute loop of a soccer match could get excruciating if it's played for fifty years solid! :lol:
Never!
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

Michael wrote:People who can't spell.

Seriously, I know it seems like nit-picking, but I'm actually horrified by the number of people who reach their late-teens or adulthood without the ability to spell basic words. I tutor HSC English and the number of students who can't properly identify where a comma goes in a sentence or spell a simple two-syllable word is unbelievable - and the worst part is that after these kids blunder through the HSC, get their red dot etc, then there's no chance they will improve later in life. If you can't master basic, basic grammar after 13 years of school, what are the chances of picking that stuff up when you're 25 or 30?

In my apartment block there is a girl roughly my age who is the typical aspiring-model/actress/cocktail waitress type, and her facebook pages reads 'Hi, I'm so-and-so, I'm an actress/model/promo-girl and welcome to my sight' - that just made me want to cry. I don't know what's worse - the potential employers who will be laughing at her, or the fact that none of her friends or her fiance (or her for that matter) has realised the mistake.

I'm not suggesting everyone should become a wordsmith or anything, but at the risk of sounding like an old fogey, don't people have any pride in what they write? Don't they realise it makes them seem incredibly stupid? Everyone makes spelling mistakes from time to time, hell, there's probably a couple in this post itself, but when I see people mispelling every second word on their facebook posts or using chat acronyms that use the same number of letters as the conventional word, it makes me a very sad panda.
Michael, here's a song that I've dedicated to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYUuspQ6BY

I shudder to think what he'd have to say about text-speak these days :lol:

And for NZ, given his thoughts on women in the Politics thread, here's a song for you too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjjO7hgQDM
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Bipolar Bear wrote:People who post their pictures sideways on Facebook. Honestly people, it's not that difficult, Facebook even has buttons under the photos that turn your pictures for you. Or do you expect us to believe that you've taken to walking up walls?

Sheesh!
Actually due to the crazy facebook programming I noticed last time I tried to spin my profile pic using those buttons they weren't there. I had to go in through some complicated menu bit that wasn't so obvious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seriously, I know it seems like nit-picking, but I'm actually horrified by the number of people who reach their late-teens or adulthood without the ability to spell basic words. I tutor HSC English and the number of students who can't properly identify where a comma goes in a sentence or spell a simple two-syllable word is unbelievable - and the worst part is that after these kids blunder through the HSC, get their red dot etc, then there's no chance they will improve later in life. If you can't master basic, basic grammar after 13 years of school, what are the chances of picking that stuff up when you're 25 or 30?

In my apartment block there is a girl roughly my age who is the typical aspiring-model/actress/cocktail waitress type, and her facebook pages reads 'Hi, I'm so-and-so, I'm an actress/model/promo-girl and welcome to my sight' - that just made me want to cry. I don't know what's worse - the potential employers who will be laughing at her, or the fact that none of her friends or her fiance (or her for that matter) has realised the mistake.

I'm not suggesting everyone should become a wordsmith or anything, but at the risk of sounding like an old fogey, don't people have any pride in what they write? Don't they realise it makes them seem incredibly stupid? Everyone makes spelling mistakes from time to time, hell, there's probably a couple in this post itself, but when I see people mispelling every second word on their facebook posts or using chat acronyms that use the same number of letters as the conventional word, it makes me a very sad panda.
I think that time could be better spent in English classes focussing on some of this stuff rather than textual analysis. I think 90% of textual analysis is crap which goes beyond what the author was thinking. I'd also like to see a strand of English introduced for formal factual report writing.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

In fairness though, the English classes I attended did teach you how to write properly, use correct grammar etc. It's the proliferation of technology that is encouraging text-speak, no doubt - the part I don't understand is this: I get why people use text speak when sending actual text messages, but it would take me more effort to write in text speak when I am typing on Facebook for example, as I've spent 10 years typing in proper English on a computer.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Michael wrote:In fairness though, the English classes I attended did teach you how to write properly, use correct grammar etc. It's the proliferation of technology that is encouraging text-speak, no doubt - the part I don't understand is this: I get why people use text speak when sending actual text messages, but it would take me more effort to write in text speak when I am typing on Facebook for example, as I've spent 10 years typing in proper English on a computer.
I don't think enough time was spent on words and grammar in my English classes. Too much time looking for meaning in crap poetry. In the example you gave with sight v site, that's not from text speak.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm not suggesting everyone should become a wordsmith or anything, but at the risk of sounding like an old fogey, don't people have any pride in what they write? Don't they realise it makes them seem incredibly stupid? Everyone makes spelling mistakes from time to time, hell, there's probably a couple in this post itself, but when I see people mispelling every second word on their facebook posts or using chat acronyms that use the same number of letters as the conventional word, it makes me a very sad panda
:clap:

The decline of basic spelling in our society makes me cringe. People can navigate their iPhones and are complete legends when it comes to IT, yet ask them to spell or write an essay using correct punctuation and watch them squirm.
makes me a very sad panda
(Why do you refer to yourself as a panda? :doubt: )

Back on topic, when perusing posts on the GH I often overlook certain people because their level of posting lacks the skills you refer to. I find it tiresome and a burden to read a post that is posted on a very immature level. If you cannot be bothered to post properly, I cannot be bothered to read it.

I tend to read the same posters; Michael, GE, Nick, Woodgers, Schifty, stuat, KW, Thickos, Rodman, TR, papabear, manbush, Red Raider, Northern Raider, 100%, BSB, even bay56 are perhaps the best when it comes to frequent and articulate posts. I have probably forgotten a few so don't be offended if I missed you.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Above is some prime examples of champion ****.
This place is woke.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Question wrote:Above is some prime examples of champion ****.
This is why your kids will turn out to be mongoloids like yourself.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I admit that I read your posts Matty ol' dog. :opps
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Guy Incognito
Jason Croker

Post by Guy Incognito »

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

they missed presented..

let me guess.. that was an english teacher too? :lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Don't forget "boardering". Don't think Year 7s and 8s need an apostrophe either.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

gangrenous wrote:Don't forget "boardering". Don't think Year 7s and 8s need an apostrophe either.
Just logged in to say the same thing...
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Great minds think alike*.

* They think Milne should be in the starting lineup :D
freddo
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by freddo »

A South African in English Clothing.
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The hole in my ceiling where water was dripping through onto my head last night.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote:The hole in my ceiling where water was dripping through onto my head last night.
You're not in China, tied to a table by any chance?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yeh raiders wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The hole in my ceiling where water was dripping through onto my head last night.
Canberra, we've just had the wettest week since 1948 (literally).
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Ian Chappell trying to be funny :thumbsdown
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:
This weather is ****.... Bring back the drought!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:
The dams are full.. quit moaning :lol:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

110%.

If I hear another lunatic say that they, or the person they refer to, are giving 110% I will go nuts.

It is impossible to give more than 100% you freakin ****! :rant

freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

im still gonna say bloody poms
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

The barmy army ruining my day off :(
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

dubby wrote:110%.

If I hear another lunatic say that they, or the person they refer to, are giving 110% I will go nuts.

that's not true dubster ... 100% is a yardstick .... a mark on the wall that you can reach but if you try harder you can reach higher ... I hope this assists in making it easier for you to understand the concept :D
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Gus- wrote:The barmy army ruining my day off :(
Nonsense - listening to the bloke playing Love will tear us apart on the trumpet is gold.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

What's currently annoying you?

Post by -GD- »

Bay56 wrote:

that's not true dubster ... 100% is a yardstick .... a mark on the wall that you can reach but if you try harder you can reach higher ... I hope this assists in making it easier for you to understand the concept :D
Agreed 110%
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bay56 wrote:

wrong concept.

I am going to give 110% means you will give more than is possible, not reach for some imaginary line.

One cannot give more than 100%, even if the result is greater than anticipated.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Kyle 89 wrote:Ian Chappell trying to be funny :thumbsdown
Beefy Botham nearly snotted him in a carpark yesterday :lol:
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

those **** raindeer antlers on peoples car's!!!!
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

beetlejuice wrote:those **** raindeer antlers on peoples car's!!!!
:lol:

Aren't they ridicules?

KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

some dams are currently over 100% capacity, so it is possible
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6