The Travel Thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Thanks mate,

She has a car and a boyfriend doing engineering in Newcastle.

The masters is only two years and the more I look at it the more I think the key is being close to the Olympic park train station, can pretty much get anywhere from there and an easy run back to Canberra.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Maybe Strathfield then. If she has a car she could also look East to the St George area
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote:Off to Thailand in early March with the kids
Bangkok for 4 nights, Phuket for 4 nights and Koh Samui for 4 nights. Keeen as!
How old is your daughter? Just curious at what age a child is able to travel by plane? We're expecting our second daughter in March and keen to organise a trip to Jamaica or Mexico again.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Gerg wrote:
Pigman wrote:Off to Thailand in early March with the kids
Bangkok for 4 nights, Phuket for 4 nights and Koh Samui for 4 nights. Keeen as!
How old is your daughter? Just curious at what age a child is able to travel by plane? We're expecting our second daughter in March and keen to organise a trip to Jamaica or Mexico again.
The TR kids have been flying from about 2 weeks old. Anything under a year is a doddle.

From there until they discover ipads it is more of a challenge.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Two weeks, ok. For some reason I was thinking 3 months. Both of our long flights were pretty good as our daughter slept most of the way.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Younger the better, at least in my memory.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Charlie is going to be 5m by the time we fly
But yeah TR Is right, I'm more worried about flying with my toddler than I am her
She'll just sit with mum, feed, sleep and squeal

The boy will be going stir crazy having to sit in one spot for 7-8 hours straight
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Pigman wrote:Charlie is going to be 5m by the time we fly
But yeah TR Is right, I'm more worried about flying with my toddler than I am her

The boy will be going stir crazy having to sit in one spot for 7-8 hours straight
Tablet or ipad with Thomas/Cars/Planes/Minions. Problem solved.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Manchild wrote:
Pigman wrote:Charlie is going to be 5m by the time we fly

Tablet or ipad with Thomas/Cars/Planes/Minions. Problem solved.
You clearly haven't met my boy
He has absolutely no interest in iPads, tv etc

He likes Finding Nemo but it takes us about 10 goes to get through the movie from start to finish. He watches for 10-15 minutes and then gets bored and wants to run around. Same with wiggles. He just doesn't sit still at all
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Take no notice of the wowsers among your fellow travellers and take the little bloke for exploratory walks every now and then. It's cruel to coop kids up unnecessarily just to keep the peace with anti social loners.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

One word. Chloral.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We've used phenergan before when my wife took him to London to see his aunty. We'll be armed with some of that and i wont be afraid to use it
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Went to travel agent today to organise a trip for my wife next month. Whilst there talk turned to Singapore Airlines inaugurating international flights direct from Canberra from Sept this year. The agent mentioned that we could get flights to Paris via Cologne for $1200. Seems too good to be true. Very tempting!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

SIN don't fly via Cologne, they go into CDG. I wonder what ticket that v would be? ?

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

T_R wrote:SIN don't fly via Cologne, they go into CDG. I wonder what ticket that v would be? ?
No idea really, I didn't realise they didn't fly to Cologne. My main concentration was on the attraction of returning to France so cheaply. I must have misheard, distracted by the $1200 fare. We paid about $2800 last year.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Dr Zaius wrote:Maybe Strathfield then. If she has a car she could also look East to the St George area
Thanks all,

We found a great place in north Strathfield, down a little cup de sac that fronts on to bicentennial park where you can walk across to Anz, the Showgrounds, all phones arena and Olympic park.

The inner west is pretty cool but I don't know how you guys can do Sydney traffic, what a nightmare.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Sydney is an absolute cesspit to move around by car, anyone thinking of moving anywhere near it think twice. And then there is the ice addicts.
This place is woke.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Shadow Boxer wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:Maybe Strathfield then. If she has a car she could also look East to the St George area
Thanks all,

We found a great place in north Strathfield, down a little cup de sac that fronts on to bicentennial park where you can walk across to Anz, the Showgrounds, all phones arena and Olympic park.

The inner west is pretty cool but I don't know how you guys can do Sydney traffic, what a nightmare.
You just have to plan your life around not driving.

I get the train to and from work and only drive when going to the beach or shopping.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Yeh she's right near Concord station so I think that's her plan as well
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Just booked my flights to Canberra for Round 1. Oh boy!!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote:Just booked my flights to Canberra for Round 1. Oh boy!!
this will be good
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Getting in to Canberra at about 11.30am Saturday morning and **** off home again midday the next day. LET'S DO THIS!!
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Make sure you hit up the Serbian food tent in civic for some shots of Rakija and an Eagle Burger*

*contains no Eagle.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

The Nickman wrote:Just booked my flights to Canberra for Round 1. Oh boy!!
do you have to?
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

just to bring this up again, going to finland, sweden, norway and estonia in 8 weeks for a month so if anyone is there round then let me know
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hbomb. Norway... Catch the train from Oslo across the mountains to he fjords on the other side of the country, get off and catch a ferry around that fjord, then the Bergen. Go to the glacier! You must go to Geirangerfjord. Stay in Geigranger or there's another nice town on the fjord too. It's incredibly beautiful.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Anyone know anything about Fiji? Been thinking of going at the end of the year for a while now. Where's best to stay? Preferably cheap
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Toviii wrote:Anyone know anything about Fiji? Been thinking of going at the end of the year for a while now. Where's best to stay? Preferably cheap
What are you after apart from cheap?
Toviii
Laurie Daley

The Travel Thread

Post by Toviii »

Snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, just generally beautiful, and drinking (maybe).

Think I'd want to avoid the bigger cities for the most part
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Toviii wrote:Snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, just generally beautiful, and drinking (maybe).

Think I'd want to avoid the bigger cities for the most part
I'd island hop if I were you. You can get a pass on the Yasawa flyer, and stay a day here, a day there. I stayed at Octopus resort a long while back. It was really good then, good food, cheap, friendly, snorkelling off the beach, activities. There is a party island as well, can't remember its name. Otherwise, resort wise the coral coast is cheaper.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Thanks! I've already seen a bit about the Yasawa islands and they seem like a solid option. I'll be sure to have a look at your other suggestions.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I travelled around Fiji for close to 6 weeks a couple of summers ago. It was easy to enough to get around on the local busses.
The yassawa islands are beautiful as mentioned and a fun way to island hop.
I would check out levuka on the east coast. There is a local guide who takes you on a pretty cool hike and shows you how they lived on the land.
Beqa island on the coral coast or south coast definitely worth a look. Some great snorkelling.
Rakiraki in the northern part had some good snorkelling as well.
Some of the inland salad bowl tours are good and staying in a village is an eye opener.
Any questions let me know and I'll see if I can answer.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

RTW wrote:I travelled around Fiji for close to 6 weeks a couple of summers ago. It was easy to enough to get around on the local busses.
The yassawa islands are beautiful as mentioned and a fun way to island hop.
I would check out levuka on the east coast. There is a local guide who takes you on a pretty cool hike and shows you how they lived on the land.
Beqa island on the coral coast or south coast definitely worth a look. Some great snorkelling.
Rakiraki in the northern part had some good snorkelling as well.
Some of the inland salad bowl tours are good and staying in a village is an eye opener.
Any questions let me know and I'll see if I can answer.

Awesome! That's very helpful! I may do if I have any questions in the future :)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The wife and I go to Fiji most years because it's great for the kids
We're a few days out from Thailand, so we're giving it a miss this year

I'd definitely island hop, there is some great little island resorts
Denarau is where to stay on the main island, the first time we went there we spent a bit of time in Suva and whilst it was rewarding and humbling to see how the other half live, and culturally it was interesting, it didn't make for a super "fun" time
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Got back from Bali on Saturday, good part of the world with probably the nicest people I've ever come across. I am battling some super Bali belly now though, which thankfully only came on at the very end of the trip. I'm a little concerned because I'm doing 3 weeks in India in August, and I always thought I had an exceptional stomach, but my confidence has now been well and truly rocked.

Has anyone been to both Bali and India? What am I in for?
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"