The Travel Thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by -PJ- »

Thanks Sid, you've helped squat really..

Come around and help me drink beer !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

https://steakhouse.asia/saigon/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote:Thanks Sid, you've helped squat really..

Come around and help me drink beer !!
I’m too far away to even help with that! Feeling as useless as Anne Frank’s drumset here
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Tell your mate not to waste his money, hand in his passport and go to his local RSL instead.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Very possible to get a steak in Vietnam, though it will cost you about 20-30 times more than a local meal.
If you find a cheaper steak, be aware that it's almost certainly water buffalo, and may not be quite what you're expecting.

The real scandal is the lack of decent craft beer.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We're bringing it back... Travel is back on folks!
Where are you heading? Fo us COVID is over and we've just re-booked our Japan trip for next year

Going from 31 march - 23 april... flights are booked.
Places we're planning to hit.. in no order other than what im looking at on paper

Tokyo, Hiroshima,Takayama, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Nikko, Kanazawa... very excited. We were supposed to do this 2 years ago, but here we are.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Nice one Bot!

We’re looking into prices at the moment. I’ve been dying to head back to Hawaii. Doing the Kualoa Ranch movie tour is high on my to do list. When we were there last time, we went to book and found out you need to do it months in advance, so lesson learned.

Other than that, thinking New Zealand. Still early days on planning.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Was in Japan last week, Italy a couple of weeks before that.

Feels both odd and very nice to be travelling again.

That'll be amazing trip round Japan, Botman!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Very keen to get to Japan in the next few years. Would love to spend a week in Kyoto just visiting the gardens. Not sure the family would be up for that though. We're moving to Thailand next year so that East Asia area becomes a whole lot more accessible.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: December 11, 2022, 6:58 pm Very keen to get to Japan in the next few years. Would love to spend a week in Kyoto just visiting the gardens. Not sure the family would be up for that though. We're moving to Thailand next year so that East Asia area becomes a whole lot more accessible.
Kyoto is once-in-a-generation nice right now, simply because the Chinese aren't travelling yet and it's not completely overrun with tour busses full of mainland visitors. I first went to Kyoto in the 90s, and it was genuinely amazing. Since the Chinese discovered Japan as a tourist destination, it's turned into a hideous faux-Disneyland of gauche. I reckon you've got 6 months.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
gergreg wrote: December 11, 2022, 6:58 pm Very keen to get to Japan in the next few years. Would love to spend a week in Kyoto just visiting the gardens. Not sure the family would be up for that though. We're moving to Thailand next year so that East Asia area becomes a whole lot more accessible.
Kyoto is once-in-a-generation nice right now, simply because the Chinese aren't travelling yet and it's not completely overrun with tour busses full of mainland visitors. I first went to Kyoto in the 90s, and it was genuinely amazing. Since the Chinese discovered Japan as a tourist destination, it's turned into a hideous faux-Disneyland of gauche. I reckon you've got 6 months.
I used to think the bad rap Chinese tourists got was overstated until bumping into tour groups around Korea. They absolutely don't give a **** about anyone or anything else except themselves. Like completely blocking an egress. You politely ask to get past and they'll look 'down' at you and just ignore you. And you know they've totally understood you.

Not sure I can get there in 6 months so fingers crossed it takes a little longer to open up.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: December 12, 2022, 8:45 am
T_R wrote:
I used to think the bad rap Chinese tourists got was overstated until bumping into tour groups around Korea. They absolutely don't give a **** about anyone or anything else except themselves. Like completely blocking an egress. You politely ask to get past and they'll look 'down' at you and just ignore you. And you know they've totally understood you.

Not sure I can get there in 6 months so fingers crossed it takes a little longer to open up.
It really hit me in Paris earlier in the month, too. I fully understand that anyone has the right to go off and be a tourist in whatever manner suits them, but the absence of the huge lines of Chinese tour busses in front of the various attractions in Paris was really noticeable. I'm sure the lack of Chinese tour business has hit operators hard, but the city was charming again in a way that it hasn't been for the last decade at least. I wonder if COVID has been a chance for these huge tourist locations to pause and ask themselves what kind of tourism they want going into the future.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sounds like we're going to thread that needle for our trip
@T_R , just reading back through the thread, do you still reckon rental car is a better option for getting around Japan than rail pass?

The rail pass for the period is looking like costing us about 2.5k for 2 adults and 2 kids... i dont mind paying a bit more if it means we'll get to places quicker and i never have to drive and can go about some moderate day drinking with freedom but we've not considered a car rental option at all
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: December 12, 2022, 11:29 am Sounds like we're going to thread that needle for our trip
@T_R , just reading back through the thread, do you still reckon rental car is a better option for getting around Japan than rail pass?

The rail pass for the period is looking like costing us about 2.5k for 2 adults and 2 kids... i dont mind paying a bit more if it means we'll get to places quicker and i never have to drive and can go about some moderate day drinking with freedom but we've not considered a car rental option at all
Toss a coin.... I guess your kids are a bit older and more mobile now. The train is tough if you're constantly trying to shift a family full of luggage and small kids on your hips.

Most of that trip is dead easy on the Shinkansen, which is covered under the JR pass. Osaka and Tokyo will be a nightmare to drive in, so you'd look to avoid that. The main reason I mentioned rental car in the post up in this thread was that the conversation was about heading a bit off the beaten track. The places you're heading a very well serviced by trains.

On the whole, assuming the kids are OK, you're probably better on JR pass at this point.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

You're conveniently ignoring the day drinking though. Spare a thought for his poor wife and kids who have to put up with him. Is it better to have him rambling like a GH drunkard until he wraps himself in newspaper and snores himself to sleep or a sober and alert Botman?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’ve told you before mate
I don’t argue and rant to my wife, I come here to get that out of my system so I don’t subject her to my inane ramblings

The GH is essentially my therapist at this point :lol:
You guys are doing gods work
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:I’ve told you before mate
I don’t argue and rant to my wife, I come here to get that out of my system so I don’t subject her to my inane ramblings

Same. I started talking to Mrs Fui about the Fifita / Bent conditional contract sitch. She reminded me she was the wrong audience for that chat…

Logged on here to see what you guys had to say about it.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Your wife owes me I reckon! Can I bill? Image
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

GE ... the marriage whisperer. Or some call him God.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: December 12, 2022, 5:37 pm

Your wife owes me I reckon! Can I bill? Image
Prepare the invoice, Gangers :lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Invoice: 198919901994

Payer: Mrs. Botman
Payee: gangers pty ltd
Antagonistic Bastard Number (ABN): 20162019

For services rendered:
4000 hours pointless debate with significant other - $30,000

GST $3000

Total owing: $33000

Payable by: next Raiders premiership
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

A few days in… just sitting back and relaxing with a few wines before bed

japan has so fan lived up to all the hype

Day 1 - Ueno Zoo, which was truly one of the coolest zoos we’ve been too. Kids love it… but a tough day after the overnight flight and barely any sleep

Day 2 - Meiji Jingu Shrine, which was really beautiful.
We hit Harajuku to check out the rainbow food. Shibuya and saw the Shibuya crossing and crossed. Then off to Nakamegura for a mypig cafe (researched heavily to ensure we went to one that was known to treat their animals well) and walked the canal with cherry blossoms (though we didn’t get the timing perfect)

Day 3 - mt Fuji, day trip out. Worried it would be too cloudy. But we got a perfect day. Could see it as clear as anything. Went up the ropeway course and then around to the lake for the local ramen specialty

Day 4 - More low key. Hit the temple in Asakusa which is where we are staying for now and then out of Akihabara… spent damn near an hour and lord knows how much playing OG Street Fighter arcades with my son in one of the places… my daughter got an ungodly amount of gashapon thingys…

Day 5 tomorrow, we’re off on a day trip to Nikko
Haven’t even touched on the food which has been sooo god damn good… already pretty sure this won’t be the last trip for the Botman family to Japan
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha god, I hope you kicked LC’s ass at Street Fighter, Nock.

How’s the day drinking going?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: April 5, 2023, 5:41 am Hahaha god, I hope you kicked LC’s ass at Street Fighter, Nock.

How’s the day drinking going?
Harder than I thought… the nature of what we’re doing and how busy we are isn’t playing ball for a ton of day drinking
But we’re getting it in where can
The train beers are carrying the day

And yeah i whooped the ever loving **** out of LC on street fighter. He didn’t have a prayer 😂😂
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'm enjoying following on FB.

We're loving being here again after COVID (I've been back on business anfew times, but this is the first family trip).

Forgot just how much I enjoy this country as a tourist.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I've just taken a day trip to drop PJ's monster into Bot's house, by the time he returns possession will be 9/10ths

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’ve been in Takayama for about 6 hours and I’m already ready to quit my job, sell up and just move here
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'm landing in Tokyo in about 11 hours. Will be
in Japan for 2 weeks then off to Vietnam for a week.
You guys able to catch a raiders game in Japan?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:I’ve been in Takayama for about 6 hours and I’m already ready to quit my job, sell up and just move here
You're viewing things through holiday made instead of reality. I did see something on YouTube saying property in some parts of Japan was reasonably priced because of a plummeting birthrate. I haven't seen much of Japan but will definitely get there in the next few years. I do love my bonsai and it is the mecca.

So many cool places to visit around the world again, now that things have opened up.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mate all I saw when I walked around the town was people trying to sell me beef (hida beef at that!) and beer
I don’t know what else I need in my life
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote:I’ve been in Takayama for about 6 hours and I’m already ready to quit my job, sell up and just move here
We'll buy a place in the area to retire to. Lovely part of the world and close to all the rellies.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

zim wrote:I'm landing in Tokyo in about 11 hours. Will be
in Japan for 2 weeks then off to Vietnam for a week.
You guys able to catch a raiders game in Japan?
Welcome to Japan!

Unfortunately, we're heading off home on Thursday.

Heading to Gifu this morning for a little League One union action. The son of one of my former team mates is tearing it up for Tokyo Verblitz, and I've never seen him play live. I think Curtis Rona has finally secured a starting spot, too. Can't wait!

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Should be interesting watching. My first Japan trip so was hoping to get in some Sumo or baseball but don't think I'll be able to fit it in this time.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

zim wrote: April 8, 2023, 10:53 am Should be interesting watching. My first Japan trip so was hoping to get in some Sumo or baseball but don't think I'll be able to fit it in this time.
Sumo's out of session, but you'll definitely get some baseball in - should be a game almost every night in Tokyo at the moment.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I thought Rona was a really good young player
Remember saying the raiders should target him

I looked into some sumo stuff too. Really wanted to take my young bloke along to check it out but it wasn’t to be timing wise

We’ve just had a few absolutely delightful days in Takayama, we timed it out nicely and the Cherry blossoms here are in full bloom

Truly wonderful place… we got snow flurries walking home from dinner last night and honestly think that is a memory the family will have forever. My kids had never seen or been in real snow… and walking around the town this morning with snow sitting atop cars / roofs (not much though) was pretty cool for us all

I’ve eaten my body weight in hida beef and we’ve ticked all the boxes we could. Including Shirakawa-Go which was also very cool despite the rainy weather
Would have loved to get to Kanazawa but that’ll have to be next time

Off to Kyoto tomorrow morning… we’ve got day trips out to Osaka and lots planned for this next part of the adventure… but I’m already feeling sad about leaving Takayama