The Travel Thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Green eyed Mick »

EyeSeeGreen wrote:Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place, but looking for some Canberra Holiday advice. Funnily enough there was talk about Hervey Bay in here, and it's where I was born and have lived for the past 18 years!

My girlfriend and I are planning a holiday as she wants to go skiing and Canberra works perfectly. It's from the 10th-19th of July (2 Raiders home games for me!), just seeing if anyone has any advice on a good place to stay near the stadium as we'll be working to and from. Also if anyone has been skiing, if there are any good skiing tourist trips or good places to do that. Thanks!
Will you have a car? Have you skied before? How long do you want to spend on the snow?
EyeSeeGreen
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by EyeSeeGreen »

No car and I've never even seen the snow.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They do day bus trips to the snow from Canberra, but it's a long day: http://www.murrays.com.au/CanberraSnowService.aspx

Then there's companies like this that offer longer stays:

http://www.snowtravel.com.au/mains/coachtrips.jsp

http://ozsnowadventures.com.au/australi ... road-trip/

Just google snow trips from Canberra. If you can actually stay in Thredbo, it's great.

http://www.thredbo.com.au/village-life/ ... ting-here/

But it's cheaper to stay in Jindabyne.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Sofitel Resort, Denaru, Fiji
I haven't stayed at the Sofitel, but stayed at the Hilton and it was fantastic. Walked past the Sofitel and personally thought our accommodation looked better.
Cheaper than Vanuatu in my experience. I'd do Fiji again any day, Vanuatu not so much.
Raiders member no# 2278.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

tragic wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:Sofitel Resort, Denaru, Fiji
I haven't stayed at the Sofitel, but stayed at the Hilton and it was fantastic. Walked past the Sofitel and personally thought our accommodation looked better.
Cheaper than Vanuatu in my experience. I'd do Fiji again any day, Vanuatu not so much.
Yeh they are all good along that strip, I like Sofitel because it still has a bit of the French influence.

Either is better that Thailand where we went last year.

Got 10 days here next month minus the kids. Should be awesome.

http://www.wretreatbali.com/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I've stayed at the lot at Denarau, im a week away from heading back there with the family actually
Horses for courses but we wouldnt go back to the Sofitel, the Westin is the best of the lot IMO.

Edit: not because the Sofitel isnt nice, just we liked the others a lot better and the price is pretty comparable. As SB said, they are all pretty good along the back there

We're at the Westin for 5 nights, and then heading to one of the islands off Denarau for 5 other nights
It really is a great, well priced holiday for a young family
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Pigman wrote:I've stayed at the lot at Denarau, im a week away from heading back there with the family actually
Horses for courses but we wouldnt go back to the Sofitel, the Westin is the best of the lot IMO.

Edit: not because the Sofitel isnt nice, just we liked the others a lot better and the price is pretty comparable. As SB said, they are all pretty good along the back there

We're at the Westin for 5 nights, and then heading to one of the islands off Denarau for 5 other nights
Yeh agreed, for a family resort holiday Denaru is the go. the fishing is good too if you're interested, Big GT's on lures.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

We have settled on Plantation Island. Cannot wait.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

EyeSeeGreen wrote:Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place, but looking for some Canberra Holiday advice. Funnily enough there was talk about Hervey Bay in here, and it's where I was born and have lived for the past 18 years!

My girlfriend and I are planning a holiday as she wants to go skiing and Canberra works perfectly. It's from the 10th-19th of July (2 Raiders home games for me!), just seeing if anyone has any advice on a good place to stay near the stadium as we'll be working to and from. Also if anyone has been skiing, if there are any good skiing tourist trips or good places to do that. Thanks!
hey mate, as someone who heads down to the snow a lot if have to warn against staying at Canberra if that's what you are after. It's too far away for you to go for a quick trip up the mountain. I'd advise looking into a company such as oz snow adventures. We used to go from Sydney with them (now we just camp on the mountain). They pick you up and take you to your lodgings and take you up the mountain each day.
Dont delete this GE
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Heading to Lisbon and Sintra tomorrow for the last few days of our Portuguese holiday, any recommendations?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm off to Williamtown to see dad for Fathers Day tomorrow.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

We went to Miami for a week - not recommended TBH.

Mexico still ranks as much better. I'm really keen on a trip to Fiji when we get back to Oz.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Got back from 3 weeks in South America on the weekend.

A few days in Quito, Ecuador. Two days after Cotopaxi had a mini eruption. Lucky to fly in and then out for Galapagos.

Galapagos was absolutely unreal. I can rave about it for days.

Then spent the next couple of weeks in Peru. Lima, Cusco, 4 day hike of the Inka Trail to Machu Picchu and a few days in the Amazon, not far from Puerto Maldonado.

Best trip ever.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

Gerg wrote:We went to Miami for a week - not recommended TBH.

Mexico still ranks as much better. I'm really keen on a trip to Fiji when we get back to Oz.
Just got back from Fiji. Great place and better people. We stayed mostly at Plantation Island due to having a little kid. Very good family resort.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Here's an exciting one for me :)

School holidays here, so flying across to NZ. From Invercargill, we have a light plane chartered to drop us on the beach at Stewart Island, and from there we will hike back to 'civilisation' over the next 4 days.

The first hard hiking for the T_R boys (7 and 9)! They will have to cover about 55km in that time, carrying all their food and camping equipment.

Very chuffed.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

You didn't tell me you were going to be on the next series of Doomsday preppers.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:You didn't tell me you were going to be on the next series of Doomsday preppers.
I sincerely hope the zombies finally come some time next week.

I'll be fine; you people are ****.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Pigman wrote:I've stayed at the lot at Denarau, im a week away from heading back there with the family actually

thanks, I liked this post, its always good to read about holiday options for young families..
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Schifty wrote:You didn't tell me you were going to be on the next series of Doomsday preppers.
I read this and lost 2 productive minutes. Thus I feel like bringing others should have to share the pain.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-l ... 7533200479
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

papabear wrote:

thanks, I liked this post, its always good to read about holiday options for young families..
Plantation Island was great for families. It has been voted in the top 10 best family resorts a number of times. It is located on the Malolo Islands.

They have a kids club and a babysitter is $4 FJD an hour. They were great with our boy and he didn't come back crying or distressed once. Even though the resort was full when we were there, you never actually felt crowded or had your space imposed on.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's the best part of Fiji
The baby sitting is so cheap and the people are really great with kids so you don't even have to feel bad for abandoning them to go and sink piss and relax

The wife and I were just talking about our holiday options for next year and it's going to be really hard not to take the easy option and go back to Fiji until the kids are 6-7 each
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:Here's an exciting one for me :)

School holidays here, so flying across to NZ. From Invercargill, we have a light plane chartered to drop us on the beach at Stewart Island, and from there we will hike back to 'civilisation' over the next 4 days.

The first hard hiking for the T_R boys (7 and 9)! They will have to cover about 55km in that time, carrying all their food and camping equipment.

Very chuffed.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You're a monster.
Manchild
Jason Croker

Post by Manchild »

Can see them now at their first day back at school.

"How was your holiday TR jr?"

"Worst holiday ever! Dad made us trek through the **** wilderness living on **** ration packs. ****!"
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Toughest pre season ever.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

What an absolute **** of a dad
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The Nickman wrote:What an absolute **** of a dad

Teaching the skills of illegal trespassing as well.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Kids were fine. I've destroyed my left knee.

**** me...track was tougher than Kokoda.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I can't imagine my 7 and 9 year old nephews doing that. There would be a hissy fit after a couple of hours.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

If my kids did that, they'd be abandoned to the carnivorous kiwis

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That's what I keep telling my sister,but nobody has eaten them yet
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

If anyone is a fan of long haul flying, airplanes or just the way of the world track down a copy of the new book skyfaring, a journey with a pilot.

It's written by a British airways long haul pilot of 40 years.

It can get a bit long winded but the little gems in there mean I guarantee you will never look at travel or planes quite the same way again
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Just wondering if anyone's had any problems with luggage being damaged in their travels, I never bother getting the insurance but I've just been given a delicate piece of equipment to take back with me worth $5,500, thinking might be safer to carry on with me (it's in a small metal briefcase type container) than chuck in my bag and get insurance added.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I'd advise against trying to take drugs through the airport Manbush
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga