2021 NSW Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

EJ
David Furner

Re: 2021 NSW Cup

Post by EJ »

Is Harry the new PAGE?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Honestly, it's the result I thought we were going to see last week

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders scoring spree too powerful for Newtown Jets

The Raiders have bounced back from last week's defeat with a dominant display over the Newtown Jets at Raiders Belconnen this Saturday.

Both Corey Harawira-Naera and Bringham Moeakiola scored doubles in the 60-20 romp, where the Raiders scored six second-half tries. Raiders’ half, Brad Schneider was perfect with the boot slotting 10 from 10 conversions.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... -for-jets/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Who were the standouts? How did CHN, Guler and Horse go?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought the two Coreys did well, as did Schneider and Trevilyan. The hooker and half combined very well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Round 5 NSW Cup: Raiders V Penrith Panthers

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers
Friday 9 April 5:30pm
Panthers Stadium

Canberra Raiders

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Elijah Anderson
3. Albert Hopoate
4. Matt Timoko
5. Semi Valemei
6. Matt Frawley
7. Sam Williams
8. Emre Guler
9. Kai O'Donnell
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Harry Rushton
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Adam Cook
15. Adrian Trevilyan
16. Leo Thompson
17. Darby Medlyn

18. Silia Tituiti
19. Brad Schneider

Penrith Panthers

1. Brent Naden
2. Tom Jenkins
3. Robert Jennings
4. Izack Tago
5. Taylan May
6. Jaeman Salmon
7. Kurt Falls
8. Jayden Tanner
9. Brendan Hands
10. Lindsay Smith
11. John Faiumu
12. Scott Sorensen
13. J'maine Hopgood

14. Trent Toelau
15. Alec Susino
16. Billy Tsikrikas
17. Anton Iaria

18. Sunia Turuva

AT A GLANCE:

Last round: The Raiders produced a stunning 60-20 victory over the Newtown Jets in Round 4 at Kippax. The Raiders were outplayed by Mounties in Round 3 - almost from the opening whistle - and Ricky Stuart gave the players a clear message in the lead up to the game:

"The players that are back in NSW Cup, they have to be better," Stuart said. "We played very poorly last week in NSW Cup and they have to show some responsibility there towards aiming up to play well, to force their way back into the top squad."

They sure were listening.

The Raiders led 24-16 at half time, with the match see-sawing in the first 40. But the Raiders went on to score a total of 10 tries to four, completely dominating the second half. Second rower Corey Harawira-Naera scored a double, as did winger Brigham Moeakiola. Moeakiola scored his two tries in the space of three minutes.

Harawira-Naera and Corey Horsburgh were very good in the forwards, showing how keen they were to return to the NRL squad. Horsburgh scored a try, set one try in motion with an offload and made 150 metres with the ball in hand. Harawira-Naera made 141 running metres and delivered 11 tackle breaks. Leo Thompson made 130 running metres and nine tackle breaks off the bench. Harry Rushton topped the tackle count (22), with Horsburgh not far behind (20).

Hooker Adrian Trevilyan and half Brad Schnieder would still be eligible for the Jersey Flegg competition - but they starred in play making roles. They were recruited from Townsville last year after leading Kirwan High to the NRL Schoolboy Cup championship. Their combination was clearly on display. Both produced try assists (Trevilyan two, Schneider one) - while Schneider scored a try and 10 goals, for a total of 24 points. Experienced five eighth Matt Frawley also posted two try assists.

The Raiders had a 56 per cent share of possession in the match, and almost five minutes more with the ball. Canberra completed at 88 per cent, compared with just 65 per cent for the Jets - with Newtown conceding nine penalties (Raiders four). The Jets had to do the bulk of tackling (275 tackles made, 204 for the Raiders) - and missed twice as many tackles as the Raiders (42-20). The Raiders dominated all the attacking statistics, producing nine line breaks (Jets four) and 42 tackle breaks (Jets 20).

Round 4 NSW Cup statistics: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2 ... rs-v-jets/

Round 4 NSW Cup highlights: Raiders v Jets: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/04/0 ... s-round-4/

This week: The Canberra Raiders face the Penrith Panthers at Panthers Stadium in Round 5. With one game still to play on Easter Monday, it shapes as a top of the table clash - with the Panthers leading the competition and the Raiders placed second. The Panthers are undefeated this season, with wins over the Rabbitohs (36-26), Mounties (28-8) and Sea Eagles (32-6). The Raiders have a 2 and 1 record to start the year - with a game in hand. Former Raiders Brent Naden and Scott Sorensen have been named for the Panthers. It shapes as a great contest.

Team changes: Matt Timoko returns at centre and Semi Valemei on the wing. Adam Cook drops back to the bench, while Brigham Moeakiola drops out of the squad. The return of Sam Williams at half back sees Brad Schneider named on the reserves list. Dunamis Lui has been named at starting prop, with Corey Horsburgh moving to lock. Darby Medlyn goes back to the interchange list. Keaton Walkington-Meads drops out of the squad.

Late mail: Dunamis Lui and Semi Valemei were omitted from the reserves list for the NRL match on Thursday night, so they will take their place in the NSW Cup team. Corey Harawira-Naera was named as the 18th man for first grade on Thursday, so he may be out of this match. Sam Williams could also be held in reserve for first grade, or play reduced minutes in this game. Brad Schneider is a very able back up for Williams.

NSW Cup Match Preview: Raiders v Panthers: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... -panthers/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Stats are now in for Saturday’s match... reported in the preview above.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Some great touches in those highlights.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tough getting a spot in the NSW Cup team, even after very good performances last week.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Does any know how Timoko went on the weekend?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: April 6, 2021, 6:53 pm Does any know how Timoko went on the weekend?
Didn't play, so either suspended (for some reason, the NSWRL doesn't report on judiciary matters for NSW Cujp) or had a minor injury. He was at the game.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Ah, right - thanks. Explains why I didn't see him in the highlights then.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Good to see the team get back on the bike and put their class on show
Didnt see the game but based on highlights the players pushing for FG spots seemed to take it up a notch instead of going through the motions.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Looked like a good game of touch football

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

That’s as good a forward pack as you’ll see in a reserve grade side. Throw Starling or Havili in at hooker and it’s first grade standard. Geez we have some depth this year.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Has there been any differences between the Mounties relationship and having our own side? I mean, can you see if there’s an improved quality in the side, better combinations etc?

I don’t follow NSW Cup, but I’m curious
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 6, 2021, 10:37 pm Has there been any differences between the Mounties relationship and having our own side? I mean, can you see if there’s an improved quality in the side, better combinations etc?

I don’t follow NSW Cup, but I’m curious
We've only had three games. I think it is pretty clear though, that we need a Jersey Flegg team too. Too many young players are going to spend too much time in Canberra Raiders Cup. They should be playing up a level.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Andrew Fifita escapes suspension for shocking high hit on Canberra Raiders five eighth Matt Frawley

Former NSW State of Origin and Australian forward Andrew Fifita somehow escaped getting sent off or suspended for a shocking high shot on Canberra Raiders five-eighth Matt Frawley last weekend.

Read more and watch the video: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d981309c72
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of this evening's NSW Cup clash between the Canberra Raiders and Penrith Panthers at Panthers Stadium. This post will include score updates from 5:30 pm. We'll also have updates in this thread as the game progresses... please join in with your own comments!

Here are the final team line ups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Elijah Anderson
3. Albert Hopoate
4. Matt Timoko
5. Semi Valemei
6. Matt Frawley
7. Sam Williams
8. Emre Guler
9. Kai O'Donnell
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Harry Rushton
12. Corey Harawira-Naera
13. Corey Horsburgh

14. Adam Cook
15. Adrian Trevilyan
16. Leo Thompson
17. Darby Medlyn

18. Silafano Titiuti

Penrith Panthers

1. Brent Naden
2. Tom Jenkins
3. Robert Jennings
4. Izack Tago
5. Taylan May
6. Jaeman Salmon
7. Kurt Falls
8. Jayden Tanner
9. Brendan Hands
10. Lindsay Smith
11. John Faiumu
12. Scott Sorensen
13. J'maine Hopgood

14. Trent Toelau
16. Billy Tsikrikas
17. Anton Iaria
19. Eddie Blacker

18. Sunia Turuva

Canberra Raiders 10

Tries
Corey Horsburgh 18'
Caleb Aekins 25'

Goals
Sam Williams 19'

Penrith Panthers 24

Tries
Tom Jenkins 34'
Jaeman Salmon 51'
Robert Jennings 61'
Izack Tago 73'

Goals
Kurt Falls 35'
Kurt Falls 52'
Kurt Falls 63'
Kurt Falls 75'

HALF TIME: Canberra Raiders 10 led Penrith Panthers 6
FULL TIME: Penrith Panthers 24 defeated Canberra Raiders 10
Last edited by The Greenhouse on April 9, 2021, 7:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Harawira-Naera and Sam Williams are both playing NSW Cup.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Is this televised somewhere this evening?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: April 9, 2021, 4:39 pm Is this televised somewhere this evening?

Unfortunately, no. Eels v Dragons is the Fox League game, while NSWRL TV is covering Bears and Jets.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Bummer. Thanks!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: April 9, 2021, 5:13 pm Bummer. Thanks!

I can't even find an on line radio call, unfortunately.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Just had a search for it, too. Not a thing.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: April 9, 2021, 5:17 pm Just had a search for it, too. Not a thing.

Community radio station Hawkesbury Radio has done it in the past, but not tonight. In fact, all the old community on line calls don't seem to be operating.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

We are underway at Panthers Stadium. Raiders kicked off, Panthers with the first set. Seven minutes in, it is still 0-0.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Penalty Raiders, CHN taken out when chasing a kick. Williams decides against the two and second play crash ball to Horsburgh who scores. Williams converts 6-0.

Quality game so far, lots of good players in both sides. Both sides have been feeling each other out happy to get through their sets.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

18th min TRY RAIDERS to Corey Horsburgh, crashing over from close to the line. Converted Sam Williams.

Raiders 6-0
Last edited by The Greenhouse on April 9, 2021, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Strong set after points, Horsburgh earns and penalty late in the count. We go down the other end, O’Donnell held up over the line, then Williams earns a repeat set and after weight of possession, Aetkins breaks the line to score. Sammy misses conversion . 10-0
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Thanks Bay

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

25th min TRY RAIDERS to Caleb Aekins after a making the break. Conversion unsuccessful.

Raiders 10-0
BlackpoolRaider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by BlackpoolRaider »

Thanks for the updates. Following closely here in England
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Darby Medlyn into the game for Dunamis Lui after 25 minutes, Leo Thompson on for Emre Guler in the 29th minute.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

NSWRL website has finally caught up

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk