2021 NSW Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

2021 NSW Cup

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to return to NSW Cup

The Canberra Raiders will return to the NSW Cup competition in 2021, seeing the club fielding a team in Raiders colours for the first time since 2007.

The Raiders believe it is a great pathways opportunity and is in the best interests of the club’s football program moving forward to field its own open age team in the NSW Cup.

The move to the NSW Cup will see the Raiders drop out of the Jersey Flegg (Under 21s) competition for the 2021 season, with a view to possibly re-entering a team at this level in 2022.

The Raiders NSW Cup squad will be made up of a mixture of NRL squad members and players who have been training for the Raiders Jersey Flegg Cup team so far this pre-season.

Jersey Flegg Coach Peter Marrapodi will also step up to the role of Raiders NSW Cup Coach.

The Raiders will still field teams in the SG Ball (Under 19s), Harold Matthews Cup (Under 17s) and the Tarsha Gale Cup (Women’s under 18s) in 2021.

Raiders Coach Ricky Stuart said the decision allows players not participating in NRL football the opportunity to play at the next best level on offer, helping to continue their development and match fitness.

“We’re really excited to be back in the NSW Cup, with the competition allowing us to get some valuable field time for our NRL squad members,” Stuart said. “The NSW Cup allows our squad to best prepare for NRL football and will allow the coaching staff to see who is performing well enough to come into the first-grade team if required.

“We saw in our last competition game against the Sharks last season the wonderful depth we have in the squad and it will be fantastic to see them get more match time at a high level in 2021.”

Raiders CEO Don Furner said having a NSW Cup team also gave Raiders members and fans the opportunity to see more of the clubs NRL squad players and keep an eye on the next crop of players coming through the clubs system.

“After careful evaluation and feedback from our coaches and pathways staff, we’ve decided that fielding a team on our own in the NSW Cup is best for the club’s football program,” Furner said. “It also gives our members and fans the opportunity to have their own team to support in this competition.

“We haven’t fielded a Raiders team in this competition since 2007 and we know our members and supporters will definitely identify more with a team wearing our famous green jersey. We also look forward to scheduling as many of their matches as we can with our NRL team to enhance the match day experience.

“I’d also like to thank the NRL for providing the extra funding and the NSWRL for re-admitting the Raiders into the NSW Cup at this late stage of the pre-season.”

Canberra Raiders media release

Canberra Raiders to field NSW Cup team in 2021 for first time in 14 years: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

https://canberraweekly.com.au/canberra- ... p-in-2021/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders to return to NSW Cup

Post by julian87 »

Yessss!
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

But didn’t read the footnote. Bad news for the lesser players in Flegg.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Raiders for NSW Cup!

Post by hrundi89 »

You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Re: Raiders for NSW Cup!

Post by Brewdle »

Awesome news! Well done HQ, bout bloody time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's the best possible result for this year. Smart thinking. Hopefully, the Raiders remain in NSW Cup and the club again re-enters Jersey Flegg in 2022. Who knows, we could see the NSWRL move to this model in future... NSW Cup which is open age, with SG Ball remaining at Under 19s.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Amazing news
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I must say I am very surprised but pleased.

We are not going to field a team in Jersey Flegg which basically means it will be an Under 21 team plus those contracted players over 21 that don’t get a game.

I doubt we will be signing too many over 21 players purely to be part of our NSW Cup team.

I think it is a positive move, it means that our 21 year olds (Smith-Shields, Timoko, Cook etc) are playing at a higher level, our older fringe players (Williams Frawley etc) are playing 2nd grade football but the big winners are our players just over 21 who are developing (O’Donnell, Medlyn etc) are going to be playing state league. It was those sort of guys that I was really worried about.

The losers out of this are our fantastic crop of 19 year olds (Mooney, Esera, Clarkson etc) who were probably going to play a lot of Flegg. They are now probably going to play SG Ball then in the local comp.

What we are now doing is what the Knights are doing.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Let the team guessing begin. Wonder what our second best team would be? Let's say our best 17 is: CNK, Rapana, Croker, Scott, Simonsson, Wighton, Williams, Papa, Hodgo, Lui, CHN, Whitehead, Tapine, Starling, Young, Guler, Horsburgh...

1. Aekins
2. Valemei
3. HSS
4. Timoko
5. Hopoate
6. Frawley
7. Williams
8. James
9. Havili
10. Soliola
11. Rushton
12. O'Donnell
13. Sutton

14. Cook
15. Medlyn
16. Mariota
17. Mooney

Strong 34 players
Last edited by Raider47 on January 28, 2021, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

We have a NSW Cup team!!!!!

Post by simo »

Woohoo!
GE to post the article
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

This should be in the main forum. People wont see it here
Dont delete this GE
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

There was another article in today’s Telegraph where V’Landys was talking of having a real push to have curtain raiser games, particularly on Saturday and Sundays.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I should also add that I think the decision is best for our players development but has cost us a Jersey Flegg premiership whereas I expect we will be about mid to lower table in NSW Cup.

Any NSW Cup team that has Sam Williams and Matt Frawley will go alright but we won’t have the sort of hardened NSW Cup players that Mounties had or if you look at the squad of someone like Newtown who are the reigning premiers.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Great news, and I love that we are fielding our own team as well
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

People had been saying we were recruiting as if we were going to create a reggies team...

I think it's absolutely great. Especially for those young players who missed out on a whole year of development last year basically... between the alternative of running guys like Timoko or HSS in Canberra Cup to playing this is so much better.

Even better is V'Landys saying NRL is looking to co-ordinate as much as possible to get all 3 grades playing at the same stadium on the same day (where Sat and Sun games make that possible)... Proper day of footy again. If he fixes up the gap between games down to more like 20/30 mins instead of 40+ then fans will get to know their clubs a lot better.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Fantastic stuff. Really surprised it's happening for this year. Going to be a strong team.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

BadnMean wrote: January 28, 2021, 4:18 pm People had been saying we were recruiting as if we were going to create a reggies team...

I think it's absolutely great. Especially for those young players who missed out on a whole year of development last year basically... between the alternative of running guys like Timoko or HSS in Canberra Cup to playing this is so much better.

Even better is V'Landys saying NRL is looking to co-ordinate as much as possible to get all 3 grades playing at the same stadium on the same day (where Sat and Sun games make that possible)... Proper day of footy again. If he fixes up the gap between games down to more like 20/30 mins instead of 40+ then fans will get to know their clubs a lot better.
Timoko and Smith-Shields would have played Jersey Flegg. It was those over 21 that would have been going to Canberra Cup.

Agree with the times between the games it is far far too long.

Whether there will be many fans turn up early to watch the lower grades - I am not so sure. I will be there but I suspect the RL community has been conditioned to just turning up for NRL and I am not sure that will change.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Man we'll have a good Reggie's team

This is a great move, and sanity prevailed

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Bay53 wrote: January 28, 2021, 4:05 pm I should also add that I think the decision is best for our players development but has cost us a Jersey Flegg premiership whereas I expect we will be about mid to lower table in NSW Cup.

Any NSW Cup team that has Sam Williams and Matt Frawley will go alright but we won’t have the sort of hardened NSW Cup players that Mounties had or if you look at the squad of someone like Newtown who are the reigning premiers.
Have you looked at the possible side we can field?
Dont delete this GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:People had been saying we were recruiting as if we were going to create a reggies team...

Completely agree. Though I'd be okay with 2 games on match day.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

potentially spine of Aekins, Frawley, Sam Williams, Starling and the quality depth with guys like Cook, O'Donnell, HSS, Timoko, Hoppa, Ryan James, Ryan Sutton this should be very competitive

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: January 28, 2021, 6:07 pm potentially spine of Aekins, Frawley, Sam Williams, Starling and the quality depth with guys like Cook, O'Donnell, HSS, Timoko, Hoppa, Ryan James, Ryan Sutton this should be very competitive

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
We bought in a couple of interesting wingers too- Elijah Anderson, Xavier Savage might be old enough to start playing with men now.

Interesting where they play Hoppa in a preferred position situation.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

simo wrote: January 28, 2021, 5:14 pm
Bay53 wrote: January 28, 2021, 4:05 pm I should also add that I think the decision is best for our players development but has cost us a Jersey Flegg premiership whereas I expect we will be about mid to lower table in NSW Cup.

Have you looked at the possible side we can field?
If you took the 2nd 17 in any side they would look ok. The reality is that is not who plays particularly as we get into the season.

If you look at the structure Mounties had there were experienced players in the Ron Massey Cup coming into the side, here it will be young guys.

Winning is not the most important thing at this level, I just think we will be a bit light on as the season progresses. I dare say the coaching staff aren’t particularly worried.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Very surprised to read the NRL are providing us with some funding for this! Feels like they are actually listening to the club now.

I must admit, when I heard that the NRL were keen to bring back the 3 games of footy on match day I did wonder if the Raiders were going to talk to them about fielding a NSW Cup outfit.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Are they going to televise more NSW cup this year?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: January 28, 2021, 8:04 pm Are they going to televise more NSW cup this year?
I seem to recall Nine saying the won’t show NSW Cup anymore. Not sure about Fox. But NSWRL has announced it is going to stream games: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/01/1 ... s-to-fans/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:Very surprised to read the NRL are providing us with some funding for this! Feels like they are actually listening to the club now.

I must admit, when I heard that the NRL were keen to bring back the 3 games of footy on match day I did wonder if the Raiders were going to talk to them about fielding a NSW Cup outfit.
There was a daily telegraph article I saw the headline of that Abdo and Vlandys want a 3 game match day again.

So they'd have to stump up some cash if they want to push some of the clubs who didnt see merit in it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 28, 2021, 8:01 pm Very surprised to read the NRL are providing us with some funding for this! Feels like they are actually listening to the club now.

I am not too sure that we are spending any more money than we were yesterday. All we are really doing is fielding our Flegg squad in NSW Cup. That means that players in our top 30 that receive a salary rather than payments for playing NSW cup can now play in the Flegg team.

If anything it should save money because we now have less spots for Flegg players.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: January 28, 2021, 9:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: January 28, 2021, 8:01 pm Very surprised to read the NRL are providing us with some funding for this! Feels like they are actually listening to the club now.

I am not too sure that we are spending any more money than we were yesterday. All we are really doing is fielding our Flegg squad in NSW Cup. That means that players in our top 30 that receive a salary rather than payments for playing NSW cup can now play in the Flegg team.

If anything it should save money because we now have less spots for Flegg players.
Just commenting on this quote at the end of the Raiders press release.

“I’d also like to thank the NRL for providing the extra funding and the NSWRL for re-admitting the Raiders into the NSW Cup at this late stage of the pre-season.”
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 28, 2021, 10:34 pm

Yeah I know that was in the press release, just didn’t make sense to me.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

This is great news. I have wanted to see us do this for years. In terms of building our own culture and playing depth it makes much more sense than playing bits and pieces with a Sydney team. Financially, the club is doing well particularly in the property market and so this additional cost has to be worth what it brings to the organisation as a whole. Playing the year without U21s may not be a bad thing either - bringing those 20 year olds up to play with and against experienced players in a reserve grade structure should accelerate the development of the better players.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: January 29, 2021, 5:40 am
Seiffert82 wrote: January 28, 2021, 10:34 pm

Yeah I know that was in the press release, just didn’t make sense to me.
Maybe it's a general comment about the NRL proving additional funding for all clubs entering the second tier comp as a development pathway? Who knows.

Either way, it sounds like the club is either directly or indirectly benefiting from additional funds to make this a viable prospect. It's really good for the club to have its own team in that comp IMO.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: January 28, 2021, 8:24 pm
zim wrote: January 28, 2021, 8:04 pm Are they going to televise more NSW cup this year?
I seem to recall Nine saying the won’t show NSW Cup anymore. Not sure about Fox. But NSWRL has announced it is going to stream games: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/01/1 ... s-to-fans/
i hope kayo jump on board too
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: January 28, 2021, 8:24 pm
That sounds promising thanks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Great initiative.

Interesting trial for the NRL to eventually own and broadcast games on its own platform.

I'm sure the channel 9, Fox (and Kayo) will be looking on with interest.