2021 NSW Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Re: 2021 NSW Cup

Post by Makaveli »

Sam Williams off to be 18th man for first grade?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Raiders kick off to start the second half.
The Greenhouse score update service
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

48th min TRY RAIDERS to Caleb Aekins, great work from Tom Starling to set it up. Aekins scores under the posts. Brad Schneider converts from in front.

Raiders 16-12
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

53rd min TRY RAIDERS to Semi Valemei, he regathers the Frawley kick in the corner... reaches out and scores! Brad Schneider cannot convert from the sideline.

Raiders 20-12
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

15 mins to go TRY RAIDERS to Matt Frawley, he dummies, bodies in motion everywhere and he goes straight through. He runs it around to place the ball under the posts. Brad Schneider converts.

Raiders 26-12
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

8 mins to go TRY RAIDERS out wide to winger Albert Hopoate! That’s his second for the day. The Raiders get a repeat set in the red zone, with a Magpies error on the goal line, and a penalty due to a crusher on Keaton Meads. Schneider converts from the sideline.

Canberra Raiders 32
Western Suburbs Magpies 12
Last edited by The Greenhouse on March 14, 2021, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Thanks for updates, GE. If you get a chance - how is the side looking overall?
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

78th min TRY MAGPIES under the posts to prop Alex Seyfarth. It makes no difference to the result, but the goal line defence wasn’t great. Converted.

Canberra Raiders 32
Western Suburbs Magpies 18

FULL TIME

Raiders return to NSW Cup with a bang

The Canberra Raiders defeated the Western Suburbs Magpies 32-18 to mark the club’s first appearance in the NSW Cup since 2007.

The Western Suburbs Magpies opened the scoring in the first two minutes with front-rower Edenn Rogers-Smith crashing over adjacent to the uprights. Jock Madden successfully converted to give the Magpies an early 6-0 lead.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... th-a-bang/
Last edited by The Greenhouse on March 14, 2021, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canberraupandaway
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by canberraupandaway »

Can I ask how did Keaton Walkington Meads go ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

canberraupandaway wrote:Can I ask how did Keaton Walkington Meads go ?
Good, thought he was very solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thanks for the updates!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
canberraupandaway
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by canberraupandaway »

Thanks appreciate it . I think Sunshine Falcons might be regretting letting him go ....
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Green Blogger wrote: March 14, 2021, 1:09 pm Who is the jersey sponsor for NSW Cup - looks very similar to Huawei from a distance but slightly different shape.
Looks like they’ve just used excess stock old Auckland 9s /Flegg jerseys and plonked the NSWRL badge over the 9s one if they’re not last years Flegg ones?

I’d imagine they’ll change when they get the current season’s stock in as it was last minute?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

rolhai wrote: March 14, 2021, 1:02 pm Is HSS on the right side?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
He was on the left.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote: March 14, 2021, 2:21 pm Thanks for updates, GE. If you get a chance - how is the side looking overall?
Clearly it was a good margin in the end. It looked a bit disrupted I thought and the Magpies were probably the better side in the first half. Sam Williams only played half the game, as he was kept back for first grade in case of a last minute injury. Schneider was pretty good in the second half though. Hopefully just an issue of getting combinations to work. Starling was very good, of course.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Where'd Adam Cook end up this weekend? Canberra cup?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Was at that game suited up, so I'd say injured.

Raiders cup hasn't started yet

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That’s a very good reserve team, probably 5-6 fg level players in that side
About to get stronger with hors and chn on their way back either into this team or into fg and others drop back
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Just catching up on this now... what a fantastic opening round for the club.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Will be a good game next week against Parra as they also have a quality reserve team and good junior base
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Both teams in the top 4. Would be fantastic to maintain that throughout the year.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

NSW Cup Round 1 match highlights: Raiders V Magpies

Relive all the tries from the Canberra Raiders Round 1 victory over the Western Suburbs Magpies in NSW Cup.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... ighlights/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Round 2 NSW Cup: Raiders V Eels

Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels
POSTPONED due to weather
On line broadcast: NSWRL TV via NSWRL Facebook page

Canberra Raiders

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Semi Valemei
3. Albert Hopoate
4. Matt Timoko
5. Elijah Anderson
6. Matt Frawley
7. Brad Schneider
8. Emre Guler
9. Tom Starling
10. Corey Horsburgh
11. Clay Webb
12. Kai O'Donnell
13. Darby Medlyn

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Leo Thompson
16. Keaton Walkington-Meads
17. Sila Titiuti

18. Misi Tapa
19. Toby Marks

Parramatta Eels

1. Sean Russell
2. Solomone Naiduki
3. Will Penisini
4. Tim Lafai
5. Haze Dunster
6. Jordan Rankin ©
7. Jakob Arthur
8. Kurt Dillon
9. Joey Lussick
10. Dave Hollis
11. Ray Stone
12. Keegan Hipgrave
13. Makahesi Makatoa

14. Nathaniel Roache
15. Eli El Zakhem
16. Grant Taulafo
17. Toa Mataáfa

18. Charbel Tasipale

AT A GLANCE:

Last round: The Canberra Raiders produced a good, 32-18, Round 1 victory over the Western Suburbs Magpies in NSW Cup on Sunday at Canberra Stadium.

The Magpies scored first through Edenn Rogers-Smith, after the Raiders knocked on in their first touch in the match. But Canberra struck back quickly, with centre Harley Smith Shields crossing in the 13th minute and winger Albert Hopoate five minutes later.

The match then descended into something of an arm wrestle. A try to Magpies hooker Jake Simpkin in the 30th minute saw the visitors take a 12-10 lead to the break.

However, the Raiders dominated the second half, scoring four tries, before Magpies prop Alex Seyfarth got himself a consolation try just before full time.

Tom Starling was smart at hooker - setting up a try for fullback Caleb Aekins, with a great run from dummy half early in the second half. Albert Hopoate did what you'd expect from a good finisher, scoring a double, while Semi Valemei also scored on the other wing. Harley Smith-Shields made 222 running metres, 78 post contact metres and 12 tackle breaks.

Sam Williams was rested for the entire second half, held in reserve as an 18th man for first grade. Young north Queensland half Brad Schneider replaced him with four minutes remaining in the first half - and he did a good job steering the team around.

This week: Canberra sits in third place on the ladder, on points differential. In Round 2, the Raiders travel to Ringrose Park in western Sydney for a clash with the Parramatta Eels. It'll be a the first match of the season for the Eels, after they had a bye in Round 1.

Team changes: Sam Williams and Harley Smith-Shields have not been named, suggesting they will be held in reserve for the NRL clash. Albert Hopoate moves into the centres, with Elijah Anderson coming in on the wing. Brad Schneider replaces Williams at half back. Corey Horsburgh has been named at starting prop, after serving a one match suspension. Keaton Walkington-Meads drops back to bench. Kai O'Donnell replaces Harry Rushton in the starting second row. Caleb Esera has dropped off the bench, while Leo Thompson has been included.

Round 1 match highlights: Raiders V Magpies: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/03/1 ... s-round-1/

Round 1 statistics: Raiders V Magpies: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2 ... v-magpies/
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Player stats are up now: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2 ... v-magpies/

HSS 222 run metres.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

In good news for Raiders NSW Cup fans, the clash between the Raiders and the Parramatta Eels will be streamed live on NSWRL website and Facebook page at 5.30pm on Saturday.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Bay53 wrote:In good news for Raiders NSW Cup fans, the clash between the Raiders and the Parramatta Eels will be streamed live on NSWRL website and Facebook page at 5.30pm on Saturday.
Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Such a strong side this week. Will be even stronger in round 3.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Makaveli wrote: March 16, 2021, 7:56 am Player stats are up now: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2 ... v-magpies/

HSS 222 run metres.
I hate how they half do things. We know HSS ran for 222 metres but why don't they put up all the stats for all the players. They just have the minutes played (which is handy) and the points scoring. I could have seen that from the scores page.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

They used to release a PDF with complete stats at the end of each week.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

zim wrote: March 16, 2021, 3:15 pm Such a strong side this week. Will be even stronger in round 3.
it is actually a bit weaker than last week, because of the fact first grade plays Sunday, so at this stage it appears that Williams and Smith-Shields are going to be kept out of NSW Cup to be part of an extended squad for Sunday.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Next week will probably be the strongest side for the year. Everyone on deck with both teams playing at home.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I wasn't able to go to the game on Sunday and there are only 1 1/2 mins of highlights available to watch back so can someone answer me this?

How did we set up when Trevilyan came on? I see he played 22 mins and Starling 73. Frawley played all 80 and Williams came off after 36 and Schnieder went into the halves.

I have seen Trevilyan for all of about 60 mins - the Canberra Cup GF last year and the NSW Cup trial a couple of weeks ago - but I am convinced he going to play a lot of NRL.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Strange that Sammy and HSS aren't selected this week?

Both were 18th/19th men last week but were still named in NSW Cup.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

IBG wrote: March 16, 2021, 3:27 pm Strange that Sammy and HSS aren't selected this week?

Both were 18th/19th men last week but were still named in NSW Cup.
The difference is NSW Cup play Saturday and first grade Sunday this week, so something can happen in between. Last week as I understand it, Sammy played 36 mins then came off and was 18th man. Seemed a very strange choice for 18th man. I don't know what role he would play if one of the outside backs or forwards were injured in the warm up. Even out of the halves I would have thought Frawley could cover more positions.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Two more questions:

Does anyone know what Adam Cook's injury is? He is another one I reckon is all quality.

Does anyone know much about Toby Marks? He has joined us from Newcastle - would have been Under 21s this year. Has played NSW Cup for the Knights in 2019. Plays centre.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/new ... ile-backs/