2019 Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders under 20s to return in 2019 as club announces Ash Barnes as new coach

The Canberra Raiders have announced the return of the under 20’s Raiders to the NSW Jersey Flegg competition next season, with Woden Valley Rams Premiership Coach Ash Barnes to lead the team.

Previously, any Raiders players contracted with the 20’s played with Mounties during the 2018 season, after the National Youth Competition concluded at the end of 2017. The Raiders 20’s team will now be based full-time in Canberra and return under the Raiders logo and play in Raiders team colours.

The under 20’s will play a number of their home matches at GIO Stadium and other local venues, with these fixtures to be announced once the NRL and NSWRL draws have been finalised.

The return of the Raiders under 20s to Canberra gives locally based players a clear and direct pathway into the NRL system, with the club’s junior representative program to field four teams in 2019, with the under 16s (Harold Matthews), under 18s (SG Ball) and under 20s (Jersey Flegg) men’s teams and the under 18s (Tarsha Gale Cup) women’s team.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the Raiders have long prided themselves on their junior development program and the re-inclusion of the under 20s into the club’s pathway program allowed the club to continue this into the future.

“The Raiders are a club with a proud history of developing players and this comes from the work we have always done in junior development in Canberra and the surrounding regions,” Furner said. “We want to make sure we are giving players from Canberra, the Monaro Region, the Riverina and the Far South Coast the opportunity to identify a clear pathway and having the under 20s is a vital stepping stone in this process.”

“It’s also great to see a Coach who has achieved success locally in Ash Barnes, get the opportunity to further his career and lead the next generation of Raiders along this pathway.”

Barnes has an impressive Coaching resume, taking the Woden Valley Rams to their first Canberra Raiders Cup title since 1996 this season after four years in the Head Coach role at the Rams. Barnes also coached the Monaro under 23’s team in 2017-2018, winning the Country Championships in 2017 and making the Final in 2018. He was also an Assistant Coach for the Mounties under 20s team in 2018.

Barnes said he’s honoured to have the opportunity to become the Coach of the clubs under 20s team in 2019 and said the return of the team to the Raiders colours gives players the perfect opportunity to continue their career progression.

“I’m excited about the opportunity and it shows the Raiders are an organisation who reward local coaches and help develop them like they do with players,” Barnes said. “Its great to have the under 20s back in Canberra playing under the Raiders colours again and I know the club has a strong tradition of developing local players and helping them with a pathway into the NRL.”

Barnes said the under 20s team showed resilience and professionalism to achieve success in 2018 and he expected the squad to return for pre-season training with a strong attitude and desire for more success in 2019.

“The under20s had a phenomenal season this year considering all of the travel they had to do each week and it’s a credit to the Mounties organisation to have helped them reach the Preliminary Final,” he said. “The players I’ve spoken to are really excited to have the opportunity though to pull on the green jersey again and it gives us the opportunity to continue their progression as players as Raiders.”

Canberra Raiders media release
edwahu

Re: Canberra Raiders under 20s to return in 2019 as club announces Ash Barnes as new coach

Post by edwahu »

Good to see, it would be great if we eventually had a NSW Cup side back in Raiders colours as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders under 20s to return in 2019 as club announces Ash Barnes as new coach

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote: October 9, 2018, 11:25 am Good to see, it would be great if we eventually had a NSW Cup side back in Raiders colours as well.
Great news... and would be great to get back to a NSW Premiership team too!
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders under 20s to return in 2019 as club announces Ash Barnes as new coach

Post by ALX22 »

Good news.

The NSW Premiership might be a 2020 option?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders under 20s to return in 2019 as club announces Ash Barnes as new coach

Post by Bay53 »

This should be on the main board as it is a Raiders decision rather than specifically about a pathways player.

I think it is very good news.

I doubt the Mounties partnership will end at NSW cup level anytime soon.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I know it's cheaper to run mounties, but when I look at the ACT comp or regional reps sides there are always a few ex-raiders who I reckon would cut it at NSW Cup level or players like Cornish or the Pickers who ended up retiring early or didn't hit first grade level. It would be great to have a NSW Cup side and pad it out with those guys or other players from the local area rather than the Mounties players.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders reintroduce under-20s

New coach Ash Barnes says the Canberra Raiders are renowned for developing juniors and the re-birth of the club's under-20s creates a clear pathway to the NRL for them. It also provides Barnes with a pathway to realise his dream of coaching at the elite level. Barnes will take the reins in a part-time capacity and will continue working as a teacher at Karabar High.

"The Raiders are really renowned for developing their juniors and coaches," Barnes said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 508la.html
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Fantastic news.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

edwahu wrote: October 9, 2018, 4:01 pm I know it's cheaper to run mounties, but when I look at the ACT comp or regional reps sides there are always a few ex-raiders who I reckon would cut it at NSW Cup level or players like Cornish or the Pickers who ended up retiring early or didn't hit first grade level. It would be great to have a NSW Cup side and pad it out with those guys or other players from the local area rather than the Mounties players.
I don’t know a whole lot about the Canberra Raiders Cup but if it’s anything like the Newcastle comp (I’m assuming it is) then those players make more money there than NSW Cup.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Eels team returning to Intrust Super Premiership as they refocus their attention on becoming a strong development club: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/10/par ... emiership/

This is what the Raiders should be doing. Ironically, it was the Eels under Denis Fitzgerald who led the charge to NRL clubs offloading their lower grades.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

julian87 wrote: October 9, 2018, 7:40 pm
edwahu wrote: October 9, 2018, 4:01 pm I know it's cheaper to run mounties, but when I look at the ACT comp or regional reps sides there are always a few ex-raiders who I reckon would cut it at NSW Cup level or players like Cornish or the Pickers who ended up retiring early or didn't hit first grade level. It would be great to have a NSW Cup side and pad it out with those guys or other players from the local area rather than the Mounties players.
I don’t know a whole lot about the Canberra Raiders Cup but if it’s anything like the Newcastle comp (I’m assuming it is) then those players make more money there than NSW Cup.
I'd be suprised if the money is that good in the local league but I figured maybe that could be used to reduce costs. Use it like a rep team for the local comp and have the local clubs pay the players, then pay them in contra for the missed games. Or just stack the clubs we own, I am not really sure on the structure of local comp.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

There’s some ridiculous coin flying around in the Newcastle and Central Coast Rugby League competitions.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote:
I'd be suprised if the money is that good in the local league but I figured maybe that could be used to reduce costs. Use it like a rep team for the local comp and have the local clubs pay the players, then pay them in contra for the missed games. Or just stack the clubs we own, I am not really sure on the structure of local comp.
The Raiders already farm out Under 20s not required for Jersey Flegg on any given weekend. They’re shared as equally as possible. The Raiders could easily do that with contracted NSW Premiership as well... but the local clubs, the Blues aside, couldn’t afford to do it the other way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

I cant wait to see the Raiders 20’s next year. They had some good young players who where stand outs this year that will go around again. Be good to see them in green

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

edwahu wrote:
That’s how I see it in the Fuiverse. We use the local league as a development path. Make sure each local league has teams right down to Mini Mods. Give them all access to Raiders facilities/personnel/coaching... everything. Have the league provide players then for Harold Matt’s, SG Ball all the way to eventually a NSW Cup side, then finally NRL.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: October 10, 2018, 9:46 am Eels team returning to Intrust Super Premiership as they refocus their attention on becoming a strong development club: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/10/par ... emiership/

This is what the Raiders should be doing. Ironically, it was the Eels under Denis Fitzgerald who led the charge to NRL clubs offloading their lower grades.
That is exactly what happened in the AFL. A number of clubs had partnerships with old VFA clubs but then they gradually brought them in house. There are only a couple of alignments left.

This is just copying what happened there. Which means GE won’t support it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No, I want our own reserve grade side. I've never supported ditching the Raiders NSW Cup team. We should play out of Seiffert, if we can't play matches at Canberra Stadium before the NRL team.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Hows this side firming up? Anyone to look out for from the preseason?

ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by ALX22 »

Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg to play trial this Saturday at Camden

The Canberra Raiders U20s will play a three way trial against the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Parramatta Eels on Saturday 15 December at Kirkham Oval in Camden from 4:30pm.

Read more: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/ ... this-week/
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske

Re: 2019 Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg

Post by ALX22 »

Raiders defeated Eels four tries to three in poor conditions: https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2018/ ... l-results/

Highlights [00:00 -01:45 mark]
https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2018/ ... rabbitohs/
Last edited by ALX22 on December 20, 2018, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by ALX22 »

Kyle Paterson, Darby Medlyn, Harley Smith-Shields, Matthew Timoko attended the NRL Rookie Camp.
https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... okie-camp/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ALX22 wrote: December 20, 2018, 11:29 pm Raiders defeated Eels 4 tries to 3 in poor conditions.

Highlights [00:00 -01:45 mark]
https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2018/ ... rabbitohs/
That’s one hell of a storm.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by ALX22 »

Raiders vs Roosters Trial
Saturday, February 16th, Camden (venue and kick off TBC)

Read more: https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2019/0 ... e-update2/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I was planning to drive up and back to St Marys in a day on the 15th, but maybe worth spending the night somewhere out in the west and check out that one.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Any word on when this squad gets announced?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg opposing Goulburn Bulldogs tonight at 6pm at Raiders HQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

If anyone has a look at the oppose tonight can they see how we are shaping up and post Some thoughts? Hoping they surface some potential early and lock them away

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm going out, but we might be struggling... we don't have a squad list for 2019...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jersey Flegg is still running a very large extended squad... enough for two run on teams this afternoon. Beautiful cool afternoon... it is a picturesque ground really... but it is also the size of the MCG I reckon... so it is very difficult to get a good vantage point. You're closest in the corners. Tough to see the players close enough... even if I had some team lists... which we don't.

The opposed session had proper referees, but it was very focused on simulating a series of game situations (eg penalty on the 30m line, scrum on the edge of the red zone, forced line drop out). One quarter focused on defence for one team - so the opposition was repeatedly given all the ball. The next on attack, so the team that was defending had all the ball. The Raiders' two teams played half the game each by the looks.

I was told the Raiders are taking half the squad to Sydney on Saturday for the trial against the Roosters (no other details yet available I'm afraid). The other half are set for some intense training back in Canberra that day.

I did like the look of some of the Raiders' attack, not so much the defence. But it is pretty difficult to assess that when a team is being repeatedly put under red zone pressure for 15-20 minutes or so straight.

I thought the Bulldogs did pretty well, given that they didn't interchange players much, if at all. But then they are all older players.

You can see some video on The GH Instagram Stories, and pics on our Instagram and Twitter.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by ALX22 »

2019 Jersey Flegg Squad

B.Moeakiola, Charlie Rorke, Daine Spencer, Darby Medlyn, Duwayne Mariner, Gideon Afemui, Harley Smith-Shields, Jackson Stuart, Jacob Sturt, Jarrett Subloo, Jarrod Thompson, Jesse Dent, Joe Roberts, Jordan Martin, Josh Fattore, Kyle Paterson, Kyle Shepherdson, Lachlan Eveston, Lazarus Va'alepu, Liam Mock, Liam Oakley, Matt Fellows, Matthew Dragisic, Matthew Timoko, Ngarima Low, Ryan Cronin, Sebastian Kris, Semi Valemi, Sila Tituiti, Solomone Kaufusi, Toby Westcott, Tom Robertson, Tyson Hodge, Wipere Takitimu

http://www.nrlimagery.com/collections/2 ... headshots/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks for that!
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Hopefully they have some good halves we can nurture through and keep! We seem to have 20 good back rowers at the moment!

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

greeneyed wrote:Jersey Flegg is still running a very large extended squad... enough for two run on teams this afternoon. Beautiful cool afternoon... it is a picturesque ground really... but it is also the size of the MCG I reckon... so it is very difficult to get a good vantage point. You're closest in the corners. Tough to see the players close enough... even if I had some team lists... which we don't.

The opposed session had proper referees, but it was very focused on simulating a series of game situations (eg penalty on the 30m line, scrum on the edge of the red zone, forced line drop out). One quarter focused on defence for one team - so the opposition was repeatedly given all the ball. The next on attack, so the team that was defending had all the ball. The Raiders' two teams played half the game each by the looks.

I was told the Raiders are taking half the squad to Sydney on Saturday for the trial against the Roosters (no other details yet available I'm afraid). The other half are set for some intense training back in Canberra that day.

I did like the look of some of the Raiders' attack, not so much the defence. But it is pretty difficult to assess that when a team is being repeatedly put under red zone pressure for 15-20 minutes or so straight.

I thought the Bulldogs did pretty well, given that they didn't interchange players much, if at all. But then they are all older players.

You can see some video on The GH Instagram Stories, and pics on our Instagram and Twitter.
Good work and thanks for the update

ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by ALX22 »

I think there's a few more that haven't had photos taken yet. I guess we'll have to wait for confirmation from the Raiders.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Good to see Charlie Rorke still with the club.