2019 Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

greeneyed wrote:
sprintman wrote:Told Kai O’Donnell has a future in first grade?
I’d say so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Him and about 6-8 others. Anyone who turns up and can play great footy in semi final or pressure situations at 20 years old needs to be locked up by the club. Get rid of the dead wood at mounties and get them in there for a year in NSW cup to develop them even further.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg

Post by greeneyed »

The amazing thing about this is that it will be fourth (Raiders) versus fifth (Rabbitohs). The Rabbitohs beat the Raiders earlier this year... but that was the final game in a four game losing streak for Canberra mid season. Canberra has a great chance of winning and going to NRL Grand Final Day...
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Your absolutely correct. The whole year has been like that which was very evident with only 4 point between the top 6 or 7 sides at the end of the year. Very even. Like last year this side has some special players an I have loved watching all of them go through the normal traits of footy, some great wins, some silly losses, individual form dips and then some excellent wins. I love sitting close to the fence and listening to the talk on the field. Last night our forwards where extremely aggressive led by Medlyn, O’Donnell, Lewis in the backrow. Our rotation was great in the front row and they dug in. Patterson and Westcott combine particularly well calling the shots with Westcott barking like a fox terrier, steering and keeping the side positive backed up by Roberts who is a strong running tough 6 and has been great over the last few weeks. Smith Shields, Timoko and our other outside backs where lethal punished poor defence off the back of the go forward. They are so deserving of this and congrats to the coaching staff and support staff on there efforts through the year. Long drive back to Canberra last night but i enjoyed all the facebook posts from proud greenhouse supporters and parents in my breaks! Looking forward to heading to Bankwest after first grade next week. What a great week for the Green Machine coming up!

BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Ronny P wrote: September 21, 2019, 10:49 pm
greeneyed wrote:
I’d say so.

Him and about 6-8 others. Anyone who turns up and can play great footy in semi final or pressure situations at 20 years old needs to be locked up by the club. Get rid of the dead wood at mounties and get them in there for a year in NSW cup to develop them even further.

Hey Ronny i haven't watched much jersey flegg this year. Who are the players that you think we should be keeping long term?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2019 Jersey Flegg Grand Final: Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs

Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs
Western Sydney Stadium
Sunday 29 September 12:30pm
Tickets: Click here
Other game day information: Click here

NSWRL.com.au live stream: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/09/2 ... and-final/ (Page live from 11:30am) and on the NSWRL Facebook page.
On line radio: www.steelesports.com.au

Canberra Raiders

1. Harley Smith-Shields
2. Semi Valemi
3. Gideon Afemui
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Manase Kaho
6. Joe Roberts
7. Toby Westcott
8. Tyson Hodge
9. Kyle Paterson
10. Tom Robertson
11. Lachlan Lewis
12. Kai O'Donnell
13. Darby Medlyn

14. Jordan Martin
15. Silafano Titiuti
16. Duwayne Mariner
17. Jackson Stewart

18. Lazarus Vaalepu
19. Ata Mariota
20. Jarrett Subloo
21. Matthew Dragisic

South Sydney Rabbitohs

1. James Tautaiolefua
2. Kane Allan
3. Marc Zaurrini
4. Jaxson Paulo
5. Nick Mougios (c)
6. Lachlan Ilias
7. Blake Taaffe
8. Luke Bain
9. Josh Cook
10. Aidan Manowski
11. Tallis Angianga
12. Matt French
13. Josh Fepuleai

14. Peter Mamouzelos
15. Bradley Zampech
16. Luke Puru
17. Iizayah Ranga-Iti

18. Tevita Taumoepenu
19. Jake Frasca
20. Muong Dut
21. Augustine Stowers

Preview

Last week: The Canberra Raiders defeated the Sydney Roosters, 22-12, in the Preliminary Final on Saturday night - progressing to the Grand Final in the club's first year back in the competition. The Raiders had lost twice to the Roosters during the regular season, but this time the Raiders were too determined and committed.

Canberra went to a 6-0 lead after just six minutes, when Kai O'Donnell refused to be stopped, barging through for an early try. The Roosters had few opportunities in the opening stanza, turning over possession and conceding penalties. But they took one of their first chances in the 28th minute, with hooker Freddy Lussick crossing. The Coby Thomas conversion levelled the scores.

With three minutes to the break, the Raiders took a deserved 10-6 lead courtesy of a try to Joe Roberts, with good work from Toby Westcott and Darby Medlyn in the lead up. Westcott couldn't convert, but Canberra held a four point advantage at half time.

The Raiders took full control of the match early in the second half. In the 39th minute, the Raiders ran for more than 100 metres for a stunning Manase Kaho try. They followed up five minutes later, taking advantage of another Roosters error - with second rower Lachlan Lewis scoring in his return match from injury. Suddenly the Raiders led 22-6 and they held onto that lead until the shadows of full time. The Roosters scored a consolation try, through Egan Butcher, with just two minutes remaining.

This week: The Raiders now face the South Sydney Rabbitohs in the Grand Final. Unusually, it is a clash between fourth (Raiders) and fifth (Rabbitohs) on the ladder.

The Rabbitohs qualified for the decider with a 28-16 win over the third placed Penrith Panthers, in a five try to three victory. The Rabbitohs are on a four game winning streak - and have had to win three finals games in a row to make the Grand Final. They beat the Roosters in the final round of the regular season, before recording finals wins over the Dragons (32-24), Sharks (36-31 in extra time) and the Panthers.

The Raiders had a small "slump", losing four in a row between Round 12 and 15. That included a 28-12 loss to the Rabbitohs. However, the Raiders have now lost just once in their past 10 games - and are on a five game winning streak. They have beaten the minor premiers, the Sharks (19-18 in extra time) and the second placed Roosters in their finals campaign.

Only the Panthers finished the season with a better attacking record than the Raiders - but the Rabbitohs ranked third. And South Sydney has now scored more points per match on average than Canberra, including the finals.

The Raiders have a better defensive record than the Rabbitohs. Canberra finished fifth for least points conceded, the Rabbitohs ninth. In the finals, South Sydney has conceded 24 points per game on average, while the Raiders have conceded just 15.

Season record: Raiders 14 and 6, 2 draws (finished 4th, +211)
Rabbitohs 14 and 6, 3 draws (finished 5th, +152)

Form: Raiders: WWWWW
Rabbitohs: LWWWW

Attacking record: Raiders 28, Rabbitohs 29 points scored per match
Defensive record: Raiders 18, Rabbitohs 22 points conceded per match

Raiders record away: 10 and 2
Rabbitohs record away: 7 and 4

Recent meetings: 2019 Round 15 - South Sydney Rabbitohs 28 defeated Canberra Raiders 12 at Crestwood Oval

Raiders team changes: The Raiders have made a reshuffle amongst their back five. Harley Smith-Shields moves to fullback, with Manase Kaho moving to the wing. Gideon Afemui joins Matt Timoko in the centres. The starting forward pack is unchanged from the Preliminary Final win over the Roosters. Jackson Stuart comes into the top 17 on the bench, with Lazarus Vaalepu dropping to the extended bench. Jarrett Subloo, the regular five eighth before his injury, is again named on the reserves list this week.

Our tip: While the Rabbitohs came out on top in the only clash between the Grand Finalists this season, the Green Machine has lifted significantly since that match. The two teams aren't far apart in attack - but the Raiders have the better defensive record. And you all know how the old adage goes... defence wins Grand Finals. In addition, for some reason, the Raiders seem to love playing away - and, of course, the Grand Final is played on neutral turf. The Rabbitohs no doubt have a lot of momentum, but Canberra has beaten the top two teams in successive matches. I'm tipping the Green Machine to take the Grand Final.

Preliminary Final team statistics: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/jersey-fl ... -3/game-2/

Jersey Flegg Preliminary Final highlights: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/09/2 ... ls-week-3/
(1:42 min mark)

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner slams 'short-sighted' NSWRL

The Canberra Raiders have slammed the NSWRL decision to play the under-20s grand final between the Raiders and Rabbitohs in Sydney when it could be played at a full house in Canberra.

"Very disappointed NSWRL couldn't make the change, was very limiting and short-sighted," Furner said. "It was a great opportunity to play in front of a sellout crowd."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Who earned the home ground advantage?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

BigPapa wrote:
Ronny P wrote: September 21, 2019, 10:49 pm
greeneyed wrote:
I’d say so.

Hey Ronny i haven't watched much jersey flegg this year. Who are the players that you think we should be keeping long term?
Its a great question and a very tough one to answer. I might wait until the teams are announced and give a brief thoughts on each player. Some of the boys are a year young also which makes it tough again. They will be very good next year. If i had to pick a top 6 to keep it would be based off them playing a full year in Cup to put the final polish on them and where the club is now in relation to top 30 signings not anything else.
Smith Shields
Medlyn
Timoko (year young i think)
Westcott
Patterson
O’Donnell
Im no expert so just my opinion. There are allot of dangerous outside backs in the side and some very strong forwards. All would not look out of place in NSW cup in particular based off last nights performance. Just a pity half of them have never had a chance! You have to feel for the injured players like Rorke and Spencer at the moment. Both have had great input into the year.

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Timbo wrote:Who earned the home ground advantage?
Not sure how they would work it out but if it was based off position finished it would be Raiders. Big Donny blowing right up!

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

greeneyed wrote:The amazing thing about this is that it will be fourth (Raiders) versus fifth (Rabbitohs). The Rabbitohs beat the Raiders earlier this year... but that was the final game in a four game losing streak for Canberra mid season. Canberra has a great chance of winning and going to NRL Grand Final Day...
Hearing that they don’t get to play on NRL Grand Final day if the win. Been replaced with the womens game. Pretty p$$$ poor if thats the case considering the game is not even televised this week. Hope its only rumour.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ronny P wrote: September 23, 2019, 11:37 am
greeneyed wrote:The amazing thing about this is that it will be fourth (Raiders) versus fifth (Rabbitohs). The Rabbitohs beat the Raiders earlier this year... but that was the final game in a four game losing streak for Canberra mid season. Canberra has a great chance of winning and going to NRL Grand Final Day...
Hearing that they don’t get to play on NRL Grand Final day if the win. Been replaced with the womens game. Pretty p$$$ poor if thats the case considering the game is not even televised this week. Hope its only rumour.

:doubt:
dribble73
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by dribble73 »

greeneyed wrote:

Correct. Cup National Final, Women’s then NRL.

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

There hasn’t been a NSW 20s winner v Qld 20s winner since it went back to Flegg last year.

It is just for NSW Cup v Qld Cup.

The three games on GF Day are the same this year as last year. The only difference is the state league game will be played first then the women’s. Last year it was the other way round.

Interestingly this is a Grand Final between two teams who weren’t in the competition last year. Raiders ran their 20s through Mounties and South Sydney through Norths.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ronny P - Steve (GE) and I will be at the Flegg GF - perhaps you could join us and we do a special Flegg GH Live?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ronnie, unfortunately I haven’t seen the two finals. Is Jarret Subloo a chance to be back for the GF? I saw he was named on the extended bench last week.

He was a very important player throughout the season. Liam Mock is another who got injured at the wrong time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dribble73 wrote: September 23, 2019, 10:13 pm
greeneyed wrote:

It is a great shame... imagine Raiders in two grades on the big day. Where is the national final going to be played... or is it not even a thing anymore?
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Bay53 wrote:Ronny P - Steve (GE) and I will be at the Flegg GF - perhaps you could join us and we do a special Flegg GH Live?
I have a slight dilemma at the moment! Number one has advised me we have a christening on Sunday! If i can get out of that then im in for sure, if not then i will be “that guy” on his phone watching the live stream! As you can tell im fairly impressed!

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Bay53 wrote:Ronnie, unfortunately I haven’t seen the two finals. Is Jarret Subloo a chance to be back for the GF? I saw he was named on the extended bench last week.

He was a very important player throughout the season. Liam Mock is another who got injured at the wrong time.
Not to sure with Subloo. I think Roberts has really taken his opportunity through the finals and deserves his spot if fit. I did forget about Mock. Your right he was great through the year. Team list Tuesday will reveal all!

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: September 24, 2019, 12:26 am
dribble73 wrote: September 23, 2019, 10:13 pm
greeneyed wrote:

It is a great shame... imagine Raiders in two grades on the big day. Where is the national final going to be played... or is it not even a thing anymore?
Steve it has never been a thing. Up until 2017 we had the National Under 20s. Then last year it reverted back to state comps.

They have had the NSW v Qld cup winners on GF Day for a while and previously they had SG Ball v Meninga Cup winners mid year but never at 20s level.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I am not sure the State Championship game will last on GF Day. Both sides have already won their premiership so I am not convinced that there is a lot on the line.

Also the QRL team is normally the big underdog. Every team in the NSWRL is a feeder team for NRL with 12 clubs represented. In QRL four NRL clubs spread their players over the competition. Of course QRL is always the away side too.

I have probably seen every minute of these games for as long as they have been around which is probably 5-6 years but I am not sure they will stand the test of time especially now it has been relegated behind the women’s.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Must have been getting confused with the national championship game for SG Ball and Harold Matthews level...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Preview | Jersey Flegg Cup Grand Final 2019: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/09/2 ... inal-2019/

VIDEO: CAPTAIN'S CALL | Canberra Raiders Toby Westcott and Darby Medlyn: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/09/2 ... by-medlyn/
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

Is there any way to stream the GF today?
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

NSWRL website

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

By the way im really enjoying this christening! Go the Raiders

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ronny P wrote: September 24, 2019, 7:40 am
Bay53 wrote:Ronny P - Steve (GE) and I will be at the Flegg GF - perhaps you could join us and we do a special Flegg GH Live?
I have a slight dilemma at the moment! Number one has advised me we have a christening on Sunday! If i can get out of that then im in for sure, if not then i will be “that guy” on his phone watching the live stream! As you can tell im fairly impressed!

Did you make it here Ronny?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s Jersey Flegg Grand Final between the Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Live stream from 12:15pm: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/09/2 ... and-final/

On line radio: steelesports.com.au

Live scores from 12:30pm right here!

Final team lineups:

Canberra Raiders

1. Harley Smith-Shields
2. Semi Valemi
3. Gideon Afemui
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Manase Kaho
6. Joe Roberts
7. Toby Westcott
8. Tyson Hodge
9. Kyle Paterson
10. Tom Robertson
11. Lachlan Lewis
12. Kai O'Donnell
13. Darby Medlyn

15. Silafano Titiuti
16. Duwayne Mariner
17. Jackson Stuart
18. Lazarus Vaalepu

South Sydney Rabbitohs

1. James Tautaiolefua
2. Kane Allan
3. Marc Zaurrini
4. Jaxson Paulo
5. Nick Mougios (c)
6. Lachlan Ilias
7. Blake Taaffe
8. Luke Bain
9. Josh Cook
17. Iizayah Ranga-Iti
11. Tallis Angianga
12. Matt French
13. Josh Fepuleai

14. Peter Mamouzelos
15. Bradley Zampech
16. Luke Puru
18. Tevita Taumoepenu

Canberra Raiders 14

Tries
Semi Valemei 1'
Semi Valemei 27'
Semi Valemei 33'

Goals
Tobias Westcott 2'

South Sydney Rabbitohs 16

Tries
Nicholas Mougios 7'
Blake Taaffe 10'
Blake Taaffe 20'

Goals
Blake Taaffe 8'
Blake Taaffe 21'

HALF TIME

South Sydney Rabbitohs 16 led Canberra Raiders 14

FULL TIME

South Sydney Rabbitohs 16 defeated Canberra Raiders 14
Last edited by The Greenhouse on September 29, 2019, 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Be really good if I could get the live stream to work. :(
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Viking Clap to welcome the players! South Sydney Rabbitohs kick off!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Gifted a 4 point start. :cmon
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

2nd min TRY RAIDERS to Semi Valemi! They take advantage of a Rabbitohs, sensational effort to stay in and score in the corner! Toby Westcott on the sideline... he kicks it!

Raiders 6-0
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Both teams wearing predominantly green jerseys and white shorts. :doubt:
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

5th min Harley Smith Shields sin binned, held a player back, after the Rabbitohs charged down a kick. Try scoring situation.

Now the Rabbitohs bomb an almost certain try. They step out.
Last edited by The Greenhouse on September 29, 2019, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.