Furner back to where it all began

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

www.raiders.com.au

September 7, 2005

David Furner was a ballboy and his father Don was coach when the Canberra Raiders won their very first match in the NSWRL, 12-11 against the Newtown Jets at Seiffert Oval on April 18, 1982.

More than 23-years later and after a 200-game career of his own with the Green Machine, David Furner will be back at Seiffert Oval this Saturday coaching a young Raiders team trying to make their own history.

Back at the spiritual home of the Raiders, Seiffert Oval, Canberra will play the Newtown Jets in their opening Premier League semi-final at 1.30pm.

The Raiders will celebrate their 25th season next year and Furner still remembers the celebrations of that first victory in 1982. Only four players in his current Premier League team were even born at the time.

“I always say to the boys, [Seiffert Oval] is where it all began,” said Furner. “The history of the Raiders is important to me, but *'s probably a bit different for our younger players.

“But I’ve told them they can create their own history. The main thing is they believe in themselves and the team they’re playing in.”

The Raiders, who finished the regular season fourth, have an extremely young side. The average age is less than 21 and there are seven teenagers in the squad of 23.

Four players remain from the Raiders team that won the 2003 Premier League title.

“This semi-finals series could be a massive benefit for these young players going into next year,” Furner said.

“Sometimes I forget how young they are. Young Marc Herbert rang me earlier in the season and told me he wouldn’t be able to make a training session one day because he had a school excursion. Yet here he is playing against guys who have played first grade, and *'s handled it with flying colours.”

Eight players in the Raiders Premier League team have NRL experience – David Milne, Beau Mundine, Jermaine Ale, Terry Campese, Todd Carney, Jarred Lawrence, Alan Rothery and Michael Howell.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

“Sometimes I forget how young they are. Young Marc Herbert rang me earlier in the season and told me he wouldn’t be able to make a training session one day because he had a school excursion. Yet here he is playing against guys who have played first grade, and *'s handled it with flying colours.”
dunno why but that cracks me up
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

Did Beau Mundine get a run in firsts did he?? I can't recall this! Can anyone enlighten?
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Post by Stuat »

Beau Mundine played 4 games with souths. I may be wrong but i think he might of been playing as a backrower as well.