2015 Mounties

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2015 Mounties

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Lucky wrote:I LOL when McCrone threw that intercept :lol:
To be fair he was close to our best today.
Yeah that's right, he and Corndog were solely responsible for most of the points and yet his brainfarts along with Corndogs wobbly kicking boot cost Mounties the win.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Lucky wrote:I LOL when McCrone threw that intercept :lol:

I think we all did. It was the perfect Reserve Grade McCrone game... spent most of the game showing he's probably a bit too good for this level and then blows the game to prove he has no business playing above that grade

He and Cornish both had mixed games from what i saw. Both looked brilliant at times but let themselves down at key moments
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

McCrone kept us in the game long enough to throw it all away.

The best part was after the intercept pass old Josh chased in vain, missed the tackle and copped a boot to the head which split his head open. Then he held the game up got 5mins getting strapped up. That's gold Jerry......
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

McCrone's finest hour :lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The ref asked the Mounties trainer to move the injured player so the kick at goal could be taken but Macca didn't move an inch.

I thought I heard McCrone say " do you know who I am ?" But I can't confirm.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote:McCrone kept us in the game long enough to throw it all away.
That sentence sums it up perfectly :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Ive never laughed so much...honestly.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote:What, Clint Newton has become a doctor? He was trying to get advantage for his team. Simple.
Nah. No way on this earth was it gamesmanship. He was seriously concerned and frustrated that a bloke knocked out cold wanders back onto the field 10 minutes later.

And honestly, so am I. The whole concussion test thing is a **** joke. If you get knocked the **** out like Mitch Barnett did there is not a test in the world you should be taking with it in mind to get back out onto the footy field. If you get knocked out like that, that's it, you're done./
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Cornish is the worst 'goal kicker' I have ever seen. Absolutely pathetic. That, and definitely not Josh McCrone, cost Mounties their season. I can't recall seeing a side so dominant in a game of footy losing, at any level.

Didn't Mago used to slot them occasionally in under 20s?
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Ahearn can kick as well from memory.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

You'd be forgiven for thinking Mitch Cornish was actually right footed.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The miss from his own try was it for me....
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote:
Boogs it
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ill disciplined Mounties blow grand final chance as Raiders bid farewell

A host of the Canberra Raiders' departing players have been denied a chance to bid farewell with a NSW Cup premiership after they were upset 30-26 by Newcastle in Sunday's preliminary final.

Despite being laden with plenty of NRL experience, the minor premiers were their own worst enemies with a host of errors and penalties costing them dearly.

Discipline was a major issue in the first half in particular, with Newcastle halfback Jaelen Feeney scoring a first half hat-trick to give his side a 22-8 half-time lead.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3mH5Yqiz0
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

julian87 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:What, Clint Newton has become a doctor? He was trying to get advantage for his team. Simple.
Nah. No way on this earth was it gamesmanship. He was seriously concerned and frustrated that a bloke knocked out cold wanders back onto the field 10 minutes later.

And honestly, so am I. The whole concussion test thing is a **** joke. If you get knocked the **** out like Mitch Barnett did there is not a test in the world you should be taking with it in mind to get back out onto the footy field. If you get knocked out like that, that's it, you're done./
I didn't see Barnett knocked out cold or convulsing like clint newton claimed.

Considering Clint Newton dumped Jennifer Hawkins, I am going to give his opinion very low value.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I can't believe people think Newton was trying to gain an advantage for his team there. I can't believe anyone would disagree ith what Newton is saying either.

If Mitch Barnett was my best mate or little brother I'd be absolutely ropeable.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

But I would be more ropable if clint Newton was my brother and he dumped Jennifer Hawkins.

Look you can raise the long term brain health of a person, but we all know that comes second to dating a future miss universe. Let's get some perspective here.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote:Cornish is the worst 'goal kicker' I have ever seen. Absolutely pathetic. That, and definitely not Josh McCrone, cost Mounties their season.
I dont know, inspite of the goal kicking, we closed the gap within 4 and had ALL the momentum with plenty of time left, and then McCrone McCrone'd it all up in a way only he can by throwing a pass that was seen coming a full 3 weeks before he threw it. We didnt have enough time to chase down 8 points.

It was 6 tries a piece, and the Knights kicker only landed 3 of his attempts. Of the 6 knights tries we handed them 3, including the match winner.
I dont think goal kicking is the blame here.

Edit: not that i think Cornish isnt to blame here. He's got to bare a large portion of the responsibilty for this as a halfback, as does his spine team mates - Josh McCrone and Glenn Buttriss. They all **** the bed badly in key spots, Cornish is disppointing because he's obviously not playing to the level his talent dictates he should, and McCrone and Buttriss have 250fg games between them, played in finals games in the NRL, McCrone's played in City v Country, they shouldnt be letting that moment over come them they way it did. They should be the guys with the experience to settle everyone down and keeping everyone on track.

Both Cornish and McCrone had their moments in this game, but when the game was there to be won and lost, those two along with Buttriss couldnt make the right plays. Goal kicking isnt to blame here, the play of our spine in the key moments is.
Last edited by Botman on September 20, 2015, 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I think that the bigger question here is how did Clint Newton even land Jen Hawkins in the first place?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote:I think that the bigger question here is how did Clint Newton even land Jen Hawkins in the first place?
Jennifer should be brought in to answer these questions.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Geez there's no way Barnett should've gone back on
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He is the President of the RLPA and has been fighting in regards to player welfare for a while..
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Newton well within his rights to question that. Appalling that Barnett went back on after the way he was laid out. Theyve gone far too leniently on this lately
Dont delete this GE
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Opportunities don't come any better than that and we blew it I am afraid.

There was no lack of effort, everyone busted a gut trying, but we just made errors at the wrong time. We just never clicked into gear. Really sad way for so many good Raiders players to go out.

Thanks so much for the memories Jack Ahearn, Mitch Cronin, Mitch Cornish, Kyle O'Donnell, Mark Nicholls, Joel Edwards and Jeff Lynch. Really enjoyed watching you come through the grades, wish we had seen more of you in first grade.

To Josh McCrone and Glen Buttriss - I suspect this is probably the end of your time at the Raiders - well done on your careers. You can look at yourself in the mirror and be very proud that there was not a single game where you didn't have a crack.
Sezer's Palace
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by Sezer's Palace »

Had a look through the pages and don't think it was ever raised but the Knights try to Holland to make it 26-12 came on the back of a 7 tackle set which was incorrectly counted (Same as the Sharks/Cowboys error from 2013 finals). McCrone attempted a 40/20 and Mamo did an incredible job to save it, and then the Knights proceeded to have 6 tackles, only for it to then be called 5th and a Feeney bomb force a line drop out where Newcastle scored of the ensuing set.
Instagram: @sezerspalace
Twitter: @jackkcronin
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Green Arrow wrote:Had a look through the pages and don't think it was ever raised but the Knights try to Holland to make it 26-12 came on the back of a 7 tackle set which was incorrectly counted (Same as the Sharks/Cowboys error from 2013 finals). McCrone attempted a 40/20 and Mamo did an incredible job to save it, and then the Knights proceeded to have 6 tackles, only for it to then be called 5th and a Feeney bomb force a line drop out where Newcastle scored of the ensuing set.
Probably but Mounties sucked yesterday...
Big Jack
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

Post by Big Jack »

Bay53 wrote:Opportunities don't come any better than that and we blew it I am afraid.

There was no lack of effort, everyone busted a gut trying, but we just made errors at the wrong time. We just never clicked into gear. Really sad way for so many good Raiders players to go out.

Thanks so much for the memories Jack Ahearn, Mitch Cronin, Mitch Cornish, Kyle O'Donnell, Mark Nicholls, Joel Edwards and Jeff Lynch. Really enjoyed watching you come through the grades, wish we had seen more of you in first grade.

To Josh McCrone and Glen Buttriss - I suspect this is probably the end of your time at the Raiders - well done on your careers. You can look at yourself in the mirror and be very proud that there was not a single game where you didn't have a crack.
X2. What a nice change to see a GH post talking up our players and recognising the fact they bust their gut every week for this club (or these clubs)
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Mounties v Knights

VIDEO: Mitch Cornish: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... eds_0.html
VIDEO: Jeff Lynch: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/09/ ... sheds.html

The Knights season redemption is 80 minutes away after upsetting the minor-premiership winning Mounties in a 30-26 nail biter – which saw them book back-to-back Grand Final appearances.

Jaelen Feeney was a celebrated addition for the Knights, scoring a breath-taking hat trick of tries in a man-of-the-match performance after missing last week’s game due to illness.

After such a promising year, Mounties were let down in the goal-kicking department, with their five missed conversions proving to be the difference between a Grand Final position and the end of their season.

Josh McCrone had an outstanding second half, and was a huge reason that Mounties were able to claw back in the second half and almost snatch victory.

Newcastle Knights 30 (J Feeney 3, K Holland 2, H Tuha tries; G Ndaira 3 goals) bt Mounties 26 (S Mills 2, M Cronin, J Hawkins, B Lee, M Cornish tries; M Cornish goal)

Read more: http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2015/09/20 ... t_mou.html
Yellow Ledbetter
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Yellow Ledbetter »

the bone wrote:Geez there's no way Barnett should've gone back on
Barnett wasn't concused as badly as Newton made out. When he came off the Mounties Dr immediately cleared him of concussion but they were concerned as he complained of a jarred neck.
As time went on the neck came good and there were no signs of concussion effect.
Newcastle knew of this from the minute he went off so absolutely it was gamemanship from Newton and makes a mockery of his position.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The way barnetts hands are reaching out have me thinking different. If you watch the whiplash of his head into the ground youd see newton has a point.
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Simo... I think we're being told what actually happened....
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Yellow Ledbetter wrote:
Barnett wasn't concused as badly as Newton made out. When he came off the Mounties Dr immediately cleared him of concussion but they were concerned as he complained of a jarred neck.
As time went on the neck came good and there were no signs of concussion effect.
Newcastle knew of this from the minute he went off so absolutely it was gamemanship from Newton and makes a mockery of his position.
How did Newcastle know that? Their players were out there playing a game... And frankly, if you want to say that "as time went on the neck came good" but apparently "Newcastle knew of this from the minute he went off" you are failing the logic test.

I'm quite happy to support Newton. He was actually doing exactly what you'd hope any president of the rlpa would do. Sure he might have liked a one man advantage but fair dinkum wake up to reality, not evrone is an advantage-calculating machine.

Now to switch sides completely, I can't agree that Mounties were in any way shape or form the better team. Cornish' goalkicking is a a convenient excuse but the whole game showed why Rick is prepared to let so may players go (I'll make an exception for Nicholls, I'd still like to keep him).

McCrone was piffle, Cornish can just forget about it (we kept the wrong brother), Buttriss would be regarded as an unlikely prospect on that evidence if he hadn't already made a name for himself in first grade, Hawkins wasn't involved enough, disappointingly Ahearn was quite disappointing, Cronin was mostly anonymous, K'OD has probably made the right decision, etc.

It would all be quite sad if I hadn't watched it thinking "Stuart knew what he was doing cutting a lot of these blokes adrift". He's rebuilding a squad where the top 17 are significantly better than the Mounties team - and fair dinkum I've seen mooted first grade teams for us that weren't all that much different from what Mounties ran out on Sunday. Btw I see Lagi Setu is going to Qld rugby. Another great recruiting decision finally off the books...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Yellow Ledbetter wrote:
How did Newcastle know that? Their players were out there playing a game... And frankly, if you want to say that "as time went on the neck came good" but apparently "Newcastle knew of this from the minute he went off" you are failing the logic test.

I'm quite happy to support Newton. He was actually doing exactly what you'd hope any president of the rlpa would do. Sure he might have liked a one man advantage but fair dinkum wake up to reality, not evrone is an advantage-calculating machine.

Now to switch sides completely, I can't agree that Mounties were in any way shape or form the better team. Cornish' goalkicking is a a convenient excuse but the whole game showed why Rick is prepared to let so may players go (I'll make an exception for Nicholls, I'd still like to keep him).

McCrone was piffle, Cornish can just forget about it (we kept the wrong brother), Buttriss would be regarded as an unlikely prospect on that evidence if he hadn't already made a name for himself in first grade, Hawkins wasn't involved enough, disappointingly Ahearn was quite disappointing, Cronin was mostly anonymous, K'OD has probably made the right decision, etc.

It would all be quite sad if I hadn't watched it thinking "Stuart knew what he was doing cutting a lot of these blokes adrift". He's rebuilding a squad where the top 17 are significantly better than the Mounties team - and fair dinkum I've seen mooted first grade teams for us that weren't all that much different from what Mounties ran out on Sunday. Btw I see Lagi Setu is going to Qld rugby. Another great recruiting decision finally off the books...
Clint Newton had zero right, absolutely zero right, to do what he did on the field in that circumstance. He isn't the RLPA whatever on that field, he's the captain of the Knights, he is out there to play the game, nothing else, and has absolutely no right to question the decision of a doctor. It was very poor form on his part. He had an obvious conflict of interest, and I've no idea why anyone would think anything else.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:
Yellow Ledbetter wrote:

Clint Newton had zero right, absolutely zero right, to do what he did on the field in that circumstance. He isn't the RLPA whatever on that field, he's the captain of the Knights, he is out there to play the game, nothing else, and has absolutely no right to question the decision of a doctor. It was very poor form on his part. He had an obvious conflict of interest, and I've no idea why anyone would think anything else.
Hmmm. Look I'm quite happy to admit that there are shades of grey about what an opposing captain should say to refs on the field. As an opposing captain he's probably entitled to ask the question, though the obvious answer is "bugger off it's none of your business".
However as a concerned player, let alone a member of rlpa, let alone the president, I reckon his opinion is valid. I can see that there is an obvious apparent conflict of interest, in that an injured non-Knights player removed for the duration due to some kind of injury would help the knights who Newton at this time was playing for, while at the same time Newton is advocating for the best interests of that player....

On the other hand Newton might have been advocating for the best interests of that player. As he saw it. As a a man.

I mean, I could be really picky and go:
"Clint Newton had zero right, absolutely zero right, to do what he did on the field in that circumstance." Nup, he's the captain, he can do whatever he likes within the rules and guidelines.
"He isn't the RLPA whatever on that field, he's the captain of the Knights, he is out there to play the game, nothing else" How did that work out for Eichman, of course he can go beyond the narrow boundaries of what YOU define as the role of the captain on the field, and if that includes the welfare of players on the opposing team, then more power to him.
"absolutely no right to question the decision of a doctor." - I believe he has every right to question it, without expecting that in most circumstances his questioning would be given credence. None the less frankly in that particular set of circumstances he probably raised a legitimate point - whether he was right or wrong, is up to the Raiders/Mounties doctors to determine and no-one else will ever know the truth but I think what you really mean is "no point in raising it", not "no right to raise it". The fact that there was no immediate outcome from doing so doesn't mean it wasn't worth doing. This is a hard one. I just reckon that if, as he said, he say a player convulsing on the field, it's up to anyone, not just an opposing player, or opposing captain, or fortuitous players association rep, to speak out...
That's why I don't think it was poor form, and it's why I don't think quite the same as you have.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You could be really picky, and you were and Godwin's Law now applies too.

I think it was obvious he was trying to get an advantage for his team. He's not a doctor, the doctor cleared him, it's not actually anything to do with the Knights captain to talk to the referee about. The referee told him it was none of his business. He shouldn't have had to stop the game for an extended period to tell him.