2014 Holden Cup: Rd 8 V Sea Eagles

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Re: 2014 Holden Cup: Rd 8 V Sea Eagles

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Shoulder made contact with the head. My word, these commentators have no idea.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I do have to applaud suttor for that. refs shouldn't have to take **** and being sworn at repeatedly. brilliant call.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Number 11 from Manly is going to get himself sent off I reckon.
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

71st min The referees are losing control, missing another Manly shoulder charge.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Suttor is a complete muppet
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

Someone throw one for **** sakes
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

I hope today's officiating isn't a sign of things to come.
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

73rd min Brenko Lee having his ankle strapped, heavily.
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

74th min Finally the Raiders get a penalty for a ruck infringement! The kick takes Canberra to 25m out from the line. But Mago ends the set with a knock on 5m out.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

One of the Manly players is spewing everywhere
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

78th min Knight knocks on for Manly, giving the Raiders a scrum feed just inside the opposition half. Should be the end of the section now.

The Raiders produce an instant error, however... Manly now with one last chance.

Raiders 34-20
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Post by SirMcSquid »

Sounds like a fiery game
banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

80th min Raiders strip the ball through Nchouki, gives Manly one last penalty.

TRY SEA EAGLES to Charlie Taylor. Knight does not convert from the sideline.

FULL TIME

Raiders 34
Sea Eagles 24
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

charlie11 wrote:The standard of u20's has gone down hill since its origin in 2008, can't be bothered watching any more. Drop this competition forever, can't understand why they don't bring back NRL Reserve grade.
Sorry Charlie, couldn't disagree more. This is much faster and enjoyable than NSW or Queensland Cup, and better for development than a reserves competition. NYC has been a huge boost for the code.
craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Post by craigo »

greeneyed wrote:
charlie11 wrote:The standard of u20's has gone down hill since its origin in 2008, can't be bothered watching any more. Drop this competition forever, can't understand why they don't bring back NRL Reserve grade.
Sorry Charlie, couldn't disagree more. This is much faster and enjoyable than NSW or Queensland Cup, and better for development than a reserves competition. NYC has been a huge boost for the code.
I agree its a much faster and entertaining game than N.S.W cup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NYC Match Report: Raiders too strong for Manly

The Canberra Raiders NYC team will go into the Representative break on the back of two consecutive victories after they downed the Sea Eagles in a spiteful encounter 34-24 this afternoon at Brookvale Oval.

The game was played in trying conditions, and considering the wet conditions the game was being played in the match was an entertaining affair.

In a game where both there was no love lost between the two sides Brenko Lee was the catalyst early for the Raiders having a hand in three tries. In the second half Andrew Heffernan was able to find some good space and was constantly keeping the Sea Eagles defence on their toes.

Mago also found his kicking boot kicking 5 of 6. Canberra’s next match will be played at Eden Park when they travel overseas to take on the Warriors in Auckland.

Canberra 34

Tries: 2 Garard, 2 Hurst, Heffernan, Mago; Mago 5 Goals

Sea Eagles 24

Tries: 2 Saunders, Delaney, Trbojevic, Gosling; Knight 2 Goals

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2014/04/ ... manly.html
charlie11
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Gary Belcher

Post by charlie11 »

greeneyed wrote:
GE do you like watching rubbish defence, u20's seems faster because there is weak defence. Tell me why so many so called u20's stars struggle at tier 2 level, because of the toughness. We already had a good u20's comp, it was called Jersey Flegg. What none of us talk about is how many young footballers are ruined by the false hope they get by playing in the Holden Cup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

charlie11 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
GE do you like watching rubbish defence, u20's seems faster because there is weak defence. Tell me why so many so called u20's stars struggle at tier 2 level, because of the toughness. We already had a good u20's comp, it was called Jersey Flegg. What none of us talk about is how many young footballers are ruined by the false hope they get by playing in the Holden Cup.
The conversion rate from NYC to NRL is in fact quite outstanding. Defence is poorer, no doubt. But the second tier is also full of players who won't ever make it to NRL and it shows. Jersey Flegg was not perfectly good, as it only included teams in NSW. We have in Holden Cup a competition that out rates union and soccer. Why would we get rid of something so good for the game?
charlie11
Simon Woolford

Post by charlie11 »

GE and Craigo i value your opinions,but not on this Holden Cup is one of my pet hates.
charlie11
Simon Woolford

Post by charlie11 »

IMO Rugby League will always rate higher than soccer /union no matter what comp.Under the old system of Jersey Flegg.Reserves and first Grade you could be more patient with the development of young players,now a high percentage are discarded at the tender age of 20 ,some never to be seen again in any comp.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Many more players never saw the light of first grade under the old system of development, which included Jersey Flegg. That's a key point, there's much bigger conversion rates of young players to NRL from Under 20s than ever before. It's because the competition is much more professional.
craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Post by craigo »

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It doesn't seem like there is any correlation between strength in the NYC and first grade. Probably the opposite. I am starting to question whether it's the right focus.